The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 3 July 2019, 12:38 AM   #31
Jsquared123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
I'll have to make a trip to Red Bank, I keep hearing how nice it is to shop in that area. I haven't been since I was in college.
I'll go in the winter when it's dead.

Tudor discounts can be tricky. I walked into the Garden State Mall where a store was going out of business and had huge discounts on everything but Tudor.
Then Kodac in Hoboken had 3 Tudor Rangers (I've bought from them before) and they would not discount. If they did I would have bought one on the spot.
Then the same store around Dec sends me a coupon for 15% off anything in the store including Tudor.
Red Bank is a super nice area. If/when you go, talk to Georgie. Cool dude!
Jsquared123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 04:27 AM   #32
BSG75
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SPGN029
Between the two, the SMP 300 is the better watch, IMO. However, if this is going to be your one and only for a while, you're probably better off with the OP. The OP is more versatile.

Have you thought about an Aqua Terra? That might tick all the boxes.
BSG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 05:38 AM   #33
Jsquared123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG75 View Post
Between the two, the SMP 300 is the better watch, IMO. However, if this is going to be your one and only for a while, you're probably better off with the OP. The OP is more versatile.

Have you thought about an Aqua Terra? That might tick all the boxes.
I did look at the Aqua Terra and tried it on. I really wanted to like it in person but it was kinda of mundane to me.
Old 3 July 2019, 06:50 AM   #34
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 14060M/214270
with the SMP you will not regret it, I bought one in black (new line) and I liked it so much that I bought another one in blue ... the explorer and the 14010 stayed in their boxes until I got bored of the SMP .... It is a watch like and incredible ... ideal for summer
forcinitijp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2019, 09:37 AM   #35
wjrw592
"TRF" Member

Watch: What time is it?
Laughing as I read the posts above re: the NJ AD's in SH Mall . . . been there, totally different approach to the whole experience - crazy. I really love my SMP 300 as I have the Black with both rubber strap & steel bracelet (Summer / Winter).

I also own a SS Black Sub date (which I love) but I would lean toward the SMP vs AT or OP as sport works well in most occasions these days IMHO! Good luck & post what you get!
Old 3 August 2019, 01:55 AM   #36
Jsquared123
"TRF" Member

Just to check in here again. I appreciate all of the feedback so far! It's been wonderful. I was super close to pulling the trigger on the SMP but then backed off. I do love wearing my Seiko and I could see myself not wearing it anymore if I went for the SMP as it's almost a bit redundant. Also a tad of Rolex buyers remorse would have probably set in. So I'm back to being truly undecided with maybe leaning back toward the OP and have considered expanding the budget for an Explorer 214270. I received a call from the AD last week that an Air King was available but not really interested in that. I think the biggest issue with the OP is the size or lack there of. The AT at 41 and the SMP at 42 fit nicely. I did snap some crappy quality shots of both when I was in the Omega Boutique. Let me see if I can attach them for reference.
Old 3 August 2019, 02:06 AM   #37
Jsquared123
"TRF" Member

Both images attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AT.JPG (39.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg SMP.jpg (37.4 KB, 140 views)
Old 3 August 2019, 04:54 AM   #38
JMBrown32
"TRF" Member

You've got some pretty big wrists. I imagine the OP would look a bit small on you. I think the SMP looks really great. If you are really interested in Rolex, I would suggest you check out the black dial Explorer II. I had one for a while and really loved it. I have wrists around 7.25" and felt that it fit much better than the 39mm Explorer I it replaced.
JMBrown32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 10:47 AM   #39
Jakx
"TRF" Member

I can tell you the SMP, which i wear everyday is awesome (as everyone who owns one can attest) but so is the OP 39! Both are quite different in style. OP is actually quite dressy (as in thin). SMP is quite versatile. iT's an under the radar tool, especially on the NATO and Rubber and a bit more elegant on the metal. My wrist is 7.5 in. so the OP does feel a bit small in my view (some who think a 38mm watch is a big watch would disagree obviously).

It's a tough call because both are excellent value right now. Rolex will keep its value much better in the long run.
Jakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 05:54 AM   #40
Jsquared123
"TRF" Member

Well, I decided to go SMP. Got an exceptional deal thrown my way which was too good to refuse. If all goes well, will be picking it up Thursday and will follow up with pics!

Thank you all again for all the insight and opinions. Regardless of which I decided, I feel it would be a win-win as both (as well as some of the other mentioned) are truly great timepieces.
Old 7 August 2019, 06:16 AM   #41
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Not that it counts anymore, but in my opinion you made the far better choice! The detail on that watch is pretty amazing. Take away the crown and the OP is pretty bland. Of course, I'm only referring to aesthetics.
Post pics when you get it!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2019, 12:48 AM   #42
Jsquared123
"TRF" Member

Been super busy with work but picked this up on 8/8. Just a crappy cell phone pic for now. Was told these have been on back-order for several weeks from a few ADs. Wearing it now for a few weeks almost every day. Couldn't be happier.

Funny thing at work, my team leader got a 34mm OP given to him by his parents for a wedding gift (he has maybe a 6.25-6.5 inch wrist so it doesn't look super small). He wears it in and with an hour, 3 people were by his desk like moths to a flame, asking him all kinds of questions. Not a single person has noticed what I've been wearing, or they have and they just haven't said anything and I'm perfectly OK with that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMP.JPG (45.8 KB, 78 views)
Old 27 August 2019, 12:50 AM   #43
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I’d go OP in this scenario, but you should take a look at an explorer. Its towards the top end of your budget but the bracelet is much better and it’s the perfect dress up and down watch. It’s amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote