The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 October 2014, 12:17 PM   #1
V.lats97nsx
2024 Pledge Member

$1800 for scrap or save????

Title says it all. Whens a watch too far gone to scrap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-DATE-1...item2c8f4e73cd
V.lats97nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2014, 03:07 PM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Skip that mess and don't look back
Old 23 October 2014, 11:06 PM   #3
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
reverse engineer cost, movement @ $1200., dial & hands @ $400. bracelet refurbish @ $1100. (approx.), crystal @ $55. plus crown, tube and labor. Watch would be easier to buy and less $ in good condition. And imho if it could have been fixed cheap the dealer would have done it and make the extra $. m
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 03:32 AM   #4
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I tried to be optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchcrank View Post
reverse engineer cost, movement @ $1200., dial & hands @ $400. bracelet refurbish @ $1100. (approx.), crystal @ $55. plus crown, tube and labor. Watch would be easier to buy and less $ in good condition. And imho if it could have been fixed cheap the dealer would have done it and make the extra $. m
I did the same but tried to be over optimistic, so came up with this:

1. A decent used DD can be had for $8,000. This is a step down but gives you much of the same look. Half the value of a DD would be in the bracelet for a well used but not wrecked example.
2. A full service can be had for $500 and crown/tube for $250. This includes a crystal.
3. Don't do the dial or hands, or do a refinish of the dial for $150. I don't have a number in mind for hands.
4. Rework the bracelet with Michael Young-- $500?

So, I get $1,250 or $1,400. However, that service could end up being way off, if there is rust hidden in there. I would expect to see really bad corrosion on the dial if the movement was rusted badly from water intrusion. So much of the value is in the bracelet, that knowing the repair cost becomes very important. If someone like MY can give you some confidence, the deal starts to make more sense. I figure that you can buy an OK gold Date or DJ on strap for $2,500.

I don't know about the scrap value of $1,800. 14k is about 60% gold and there is a fair amount of non-gold material, here.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 03:41 AM   #5
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
I did the same but tried to be over optimistic, so came up with this:

1. A decent used DD can be had for $8,000. This is a step down but gives you much of the same look. Half the value of a DD would be in the bracelet for a well used but not wrecked example.
2. A full service can be had for $500 and crown/tube for $250. This includes a crystal.
3. Don't do the dial or hands, or do a refinish of the dial for $150. I don't have a number in mind for hands.
4. Rework the bracelet with Michael Young-- $500?

So, I get $1,250 or $1,400. However, that service could end up being way off, if there is rust hidden in there. I would expect to see really bad corrosion on the dial if the movement was rusted badly from water intrusion. So much of the value is in the bracelet, that knowing the repair cost becomes very important. If someone like MY can give you some confidence, the deal starts to make more sense. I figure that you can buy an OK gold Date or DJ on strap for $2,500.

I don't know about the scrap value of $1,800. 14k is about 60% gold and there is a fair amount of non-gold material, here.
You'll be $5k into this thing easy
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 07:21 AM   #6
evilfij
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona Panda
~$1000-1200 to MY for the bracelet (based on recent posts as to costs for a well worn full gold). Certainly worth NOT scrapping based on the costs of used bracelets I have seen recently (frankly selling the bracelet would probably net close to the price shown even in the condition it is now).

$1000+ for a service including a new crown and stem.

I would leave the dial (maybe not hands), but that is just me.
evilfij is offline   Reply With Quote