The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 November 2017, 11:19 PM   #31
rolexier_muizard
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Go for Sub-C No date!! You can try first then you will find new definition " Same Same but different" XD
rolexier_muizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 12:28 AM   #32
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Based on what you outlined for each watch, I would go with the Submariner. It’ll fit your wrist great and I think you’ll really end up enjoying it.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 12:36 AM   #33
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I love the cyclops. it's quintessentially Rolex, and it's useful. I don't see it as an aesthetic negative, but rather a positive. Lack of a cyclops on the SD4K is the reason I have not bought one of those. Yet.

Of your choices, the SubC Date is my choice.
Old 7 November 2017, 12:53 AM   #34
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpefy3 View Post
Why not look at SD4K? I think it might have everything you are looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgator View Post
Ditto.
Seriously, consider the 4K; for a smaller wrist it is the best fitting of the group!!!! Having had the SubC I can also attest to it feeling better on the wrist. Plus it lacks the blocky design!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 01:33 AM   #35
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordSD View Post
I’m having a tough time deciding between the Sub, SubC, and the new Sea Dweller. I read some previous threads and am more confused than ever.

A bit about me:
-I never look at the date complication on my watch, I don’t even set the date on watches that have it
-I do a ton of research and contemplating beforehand, and then never sell any of my watches

2. Those of you who have either owned one version, or multiples of these watches...if you had to pick one, which one would it be and why?
I would (and did) pick the SD43. Sold my SubC. Lots of reasons that are irrelevant to your choice which I need not mention, however my reasons that may be relevant to your choice are:

1) Much better proportions than the Subs
2) That red line of text against the non glossy (sometimes its satin, sometimes its matt) dial just pops in certain light.
3) Its got the latest movement with a quick winding (by the rotor) 70 hour power reserve
4) My wrist is a flat 6.75 inches and whilst its a bigger watch than the subs, it is extremely comfortable and well balanced on the wrist and doesn't wear much bigger in reality. Its propoprtions probably help here.

Having said all of that, I think you shoudl pick the Sub C because:

1) It doesn't have a date (a complication of zero use to you)
2) Its cheaper to buy than the Sub C Date (which has a date complication which is of zero use to you)
2) Its significantly cheaper than the SD43 (which also has a date complication which is of zero use to you)

Unless you're not a fan of the lugs on the current sub maxi case in which case buy the SD43 and learn how to change the date

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 01:56 AM   #36
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

If those were my only three options I would definitely go with SD43. I think it's an amazing watch, well balanced and most importantly relatively unique. It also is the latest and greatest from the diver line at Rolex. Between the sub date/no date, it's a personal preference. I didn't used to be a fan of the cyclops but it grew on me... so a year ago I really didn't want a watch with a cyclops now I don't mind it and actually enjoy it. Of course this advice assumes that price is not a concern because a no date sub will be almost half the price of an SD43.
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 06:01 PM   #37
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Sub C . Wears great and tells time + date

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 08:48 AM   #38
ucfknights17
"TRF" Member

I have both the SD43 and the SubC no date. If I had to chose only one it would be the SD43 easily. I have a 7-1/4 wrist and this comparison is only comparing these 2 watches directly:

SubC
Pros:
-Beautiful face
-Stays clean and sharp
-Easy to clean
-Super fast to set time bc there is no date, which after wearing for a while is really nice I get OCD and can’t have the wrong date and correct time.

Cons:
-Band seems too thin after wearing SD43 with wider band size
-Sometimes you want to know the date, but I just look at my phone
-After wearing SD43 you realize how nice the new mvmt is with the longer power reserve

SD43
Pros:
-The red text is eye popping and makes the watch that much more special vs any current Sub in production
-The matte finish really gives this watch multiple personalities
-Band size is perfect
-Cyclops addition makes it seem like you filled the sub “need” but on steroids
-It’s not a sub therefore it’s slightly different and unique
-It’s the perfect size if you enjoy more watch presence and have the wrist for it
-With the MK2 change it truly made it an anniversary model and just making it that much more special even though I’m not selling it

Cons:
-Can get hung up on long sleeve dress shirts if worn loosely
-Bc of the cyclops is gets dirtier easier and collects grime around it
-Can feel heavy after wearing a smaller watch
-The diver link looks funny but it’s a simple fix

My personal overall judgment SD43 wins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ucfknights17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 05:27 AM   #39
StrongDGame
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex no date sub
I was in the same dilemma!! I really wanted the SD43. Still do, but I am not a fan of the cyclops but I love the diiameter, which I think is perfect. I think the thickness is too much especially since the caseback makes the watch sit higher on the wrist so it always kinda teeter-totters on the caseback. (I hope I conveyed that correctly lol). In the end, I with the no-date submariner and am so glad I did. I couldn't find an AD selling the SD43 and wasn't in the mood to spend $15k gray market price (double the no-date price) just for the only positive imo being the bigger size. I own a 44mm Panerai, 46mm Breitling, and a 46mm SteinHart bronze Pilot, so it took a little getting use to for the smaller size, but the newest Oyster cases wear bigger than the measurement will make you believe.
StrongDGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 05:46 AM   #40
kalo925
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD50, PAM-690
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordSD View Post

A bit about me:
-I never look at the date complication on my watch, I don’t even set the date on watches that have it
-I have 6 3/4” wrists
If this is true, then Sub No Date seems obvious.
kalo925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 06:06 AM   #41
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I think you'll dig the Submariner (without the date display). There's greater wrist presence, and the glossy dial and bezel look fantastic. I think it's just the sort of incremental "oomph" you're looking for.

Another important point to note: the bracelet on the Submariner has the traditional taper from 20mm at the lugs to 16mm at the clasp, while the Sea Dweller's bracelet is wider throughout (not sure of the lugs, but I'm pretty sure it's 2mm wider at the clasp). I'm sure it must be such in order to remain proportionate to the larger case, but I love the traditional proportions of the Submariner's bracelet enough that I would give careful consideration to this difference. It seems you're a careful consideration kind of person by nature, so my apology if I'm just making this harder for you!

Have fun choosing!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 06:41 AM   #42
rolexandrolex
Banned

sd43. it has more wrist presence, is more unique and the cyclop is beautiful, making the watch more proportional. you should get used to it just like me, I used to hate cyclop but I found it beautiful on the sd43 now.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk
rolexandrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 02:08 PM   #43
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0n View Post
Difference in size may not be much between Exp 1 and Sub, but difference in wrist presence is massive.

I know this is a very poor difference, excuse the crap pic taken in crap lighting... this is the older Exp 1 14270 on my wrist:

This one.
1173896B-4F95-40D6-9598-4B7123C70474.jpeg
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 02:11 PM   #44
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Seriously, consider the 4K; for a smaller wrist it is the best fitting of the group!!!! Having had the SubC I can also attest to it feeling better on the wrist. Plus it lacks the blocky design!!!

I prefer the no cyclops of the SD 4K over the SD 43.
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 02:20 PM   #45
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=594799
Check out my old post, SubC is for u then
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 02:34 PM   #46
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Sd43
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 04:32 PM   #47
MARGARITATIME
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lv, 116710BL
I would go SubC. The SD43 may be too large and thick for your wrist. That is unless you like bigger thicker watches. Since the Subc has no date and you don't use the date features it seems like it would be a perfect fit.
MARGARITATIME is offline   Reply With Quote