The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 January 2018, 04:55 AM   #31
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
So there's a slight catch. FPJ is only doing this for discontinued models. I should had stated that in my original post. Seems like AP have been doing this in Geneva for existing models and the larger rollout would be for just that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rats!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 05:35 AM   #32
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Rats!
Besides, it's not exactly a hard watch to get. There's a regular supply of pre-owned pieces and given the metal these guys generally hold up pretty well.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 05:42 AM   #33
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Besides, it's not exactly a hard watch to get. There's a regular supply of pre-owned pieces and given the metal these guys generally hold up pretty well.

Mostly kidding.

I’ve way over spent on any major purchase this year. And it’s only January!

Still, an interesting development brought up by this thread re preowned AP
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 11:14 AM   #34
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
This is a fantastic development and I look forward to it rolling out to locations outside of Switzerland. Doubtless there will be a premium charged over prices for pieces at grey dealers, but the ability to get discontinued references which have been (presumably) serviced by AP and come with some level of warranty is pretty exciting.

I do wonder how they will distribute pieces across locations - meaning, if someone trades in a piece in the U.K., will it then only be resold in the U.K., or be available globally? There are plenty of issues for AP to address, but if done well this could be very powerful
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 11:33 AM   #35
nick c
Banned

That’s a great idea.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 05:41 PM   #36
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk islandboy View Post
this is a fantastic development and i look forward to it rolling out to locations outside of switzerland. Doubtless there will be a premium charged over prices for pieces at grey dealers, but the ability to get discontinued references which have been (presumably) serviced by ap and come with some level of warranty is pretty exciting.

I do wonder how they will distribute pieces across locations - meaning, if someone trades in a piece in the u.k., will it then only be resold in the u.k., or be available globally? There are plenty of issues for ap to address, but if done well this could be very powerful
+1

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 01:54 AM   #37
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Wow, interesting turn of events. Curious to see how this will impact the secondary market.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 09:58 PM   #38
BawlaDK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Submariner
Danish brand Linde Werdelin have been doing this for about two years now - Dont know how successfull it has been, but judging by their website they have sold quite a few second hand watches...
BawlaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 01:26 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawlaDK View Post
Danish brand Linde Werdelin have been doing this for about two years now - Dont know how successfull it has been, but judging by their website they have sold quite a few second hand watches...
Don't they also send you the watch for free or a deposit so you can inspect and try it on before you pay fully?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 11:24 PM   #40
BawlaDK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Don't they also send you the watch for free or a deposit so you can inspect and try it on before you pay fully?
Indeed they do... Pretty innovative in that respect. I for one am VERY exited to see what their next line of watches will look like now that they have ditched their Rock/Reef computers.... They are no longer confined by a case design that HAS to accomodate these computers
BawlaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:49 AM   #41
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by BawlaDK View Post
Indeed they do... Pretty innovative in that respect. I for one am VERY exited to see what their next line of watches will look like now that they have ditched their Rock/Reef computers.... They are no longer confined by a case design that HAS to accomodate these computers
I have never seen one in the flesh so thought it was a good idea. They have a kind of ROO look, so they've always appealed to me, esp the Spidospeed.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:20 AM   #42
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I have never seen one in the flesh so thought it was a good idea. They have a kind of ROO look, so they've always appealed to me, esp the Spidospeed.

I do agree with you, and that’s a very nice watch/they did a good job with it!!
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 12:12 AM   #43
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Looks like AP certified pre-owned is coming soon ....

FHB interviewed quickly on Nightly Business Report from 9/20.

http://nbr.com/2019/09/20/nightly-bu...ember-20-2019/

The watch part starts at 23:25
Old 24 September 2019, 04:26 AM   #44
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
ROBERT FRANK, NIGHTLY BUSINESS REPORT CORRESPONDENT: The luxury watch industry is under pressure from slowing growth and trouble in Hong Kong, the world`s largest Swiss watch market. But one segment is booming, online sales of pre-owned or used watches. Analysts say pre-owned sales are now growing twice as fast as new watch sales and will soon top the $20 billion a year in Swiss watch exports.

So, watchmakers — well, they`re fighting back. Audemars Piguet, one of
the most elite and profitable brands, is launching a new program to buy and sell pre-owned watches in their retail stores. They will buy a watch back from a client who may be trading up. They`ll refurbish and repair it and then offer it for resale with a warranty. It`s a bit like certified pre-
owned cars because like cars, new jewelry and certain watches can fall
percent or more in value once they leave the store.

Now, Audemars is starting small, given the cost and time of restoring
watches. The company says the move is less about added profits and more
about better serving clients, cracking down on counterfeits, and managing
resale prices for watches that can cost six figures.

FRANCOIS-HENRY BENNAHMIAS, AUDEMARS PIGUET CEO: Brands only to care of their first child and never the second one. So, basically, we the whole watch companies, left the secondary, the pre-owned business to outsiders. And I think it`s about time that we are bringing these back home.
Transcript from NBR
Old 24 September 2019, 05:42 AM   #45
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
I would definitely use this service for PM watches that are easy to find, probably a good way to pick up a slightly used PM watch at a great price, just like a CPO car vs. new.

However, for the hot models (SS), I would bet offers are terrible for trade-in, so the stock will be limited. However, if trading in a watch at a loss compared to market value increases your 'relationship' with the AD/Boutique, I could see stock being pretty decent - but would bet selling prices would be listed at a premium over market (given warranty and certification).
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 07:48 AM   #46
roxobox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfski View Post
I would definitely use this service for PM watches that are easy to find, probably a good way to pick up a slightly used PM watch at a great price, just like a CPO car vs. new.

However, for the hot models (SS), I would bet offers are terrible for trade-in, so the stock will be limited. However, if trading in a watch at a loss compared to market value increases your 'relationship' with the AD/Boutique, I could see stock being pretty decent - but would bet selling prices would be listed at a premium over market (given warranty and certification).
Trading in a watch may be a way to "build a relationship" with a boutique and perhaps there will be other incentives such was accessing hard to get models by trading in a vintage (and sought after) model etc. A few ways AP could play this to make it worth your time but what will be interesting is to see how attractive they make it compared to say Chrono24 or selling to other resellers (or this forum even). They'll have to offer something more competitive than just dollars or value for trade in (again like accessing new hard to get models, relationship points etc.). It has to be something you can't get already on the secondary market (a fair market value of your watch).

Like Apple has done with trading in old iPhones to upgrade, AP could have a winning model if they do it right.

Then again they may make wrong assumptions, offer poor incentives and get no real buy in on the idea from the community. Time will tell.
roxobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2019, 12:30 PM   #47
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
This all makes sense, but how will they address all the references selling well above MSRP?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 02:49 AM   #48
roxobox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
This all makes sense, but how will they address all the references selling well above MSRP?
Well one would hope they sell it below MSRP with some official warranty / service.

Maybe they undercut the market forcing resellers to have to adjust? They will be able to control their own "used" stock and inventory.

Also how will they do this all without undercutting their own "new" stock?

Many unanswered questions. Someone is thinking long and hard about it I'm sure.
roxobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 03:17 AM   #49
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post
Hello guys, i am in geneva right now and I have passed Audemars boutique at the kempinski hotel, they have something called the certified pre-owned program, where basically they sell AP watches that are displayed at major AP events only, where clients get to try watches, so it's not a pre-owned watch that they buy from clients, hope this helps, I found alot of good watches too

Sent from my Aster using Tapatalk
I am close by. What “events” goodies do they have? Any SS RO? Thanks
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 03:44 AM   #50
kijoe
"TRF" Member

It would be great to hear from someone who has had first hand experience on the certified pre-owned program (either seller or buyer).
kijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2019, 11:23 PM   #51
scuba77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
I am close by. What “events” goodies do they have? Any SS RO? Thanks

This is where I saw the ceramic diver back in sept 2017 , it was being sold as new with 5 year warranty but the price was higher then last knew RRP but able to claim the swiss vat which is why I didn't pull the trigger (Also just picked up jumbo from across the river and thought 2 watches on one trip was greedy ). I regret not picking it up though ...maybe old thread about it on this forum
scuba77 is offline   Reply With Quote