The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 July 2018, 02:42 AM   #1
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Link Removel

Today I phoned up the only Rolex AD in my city with the intention of having a link removed. So I ask will there be a charge, one assistant says because the Watch was not purchased there, there would be a charge. The Watch is only two months old. So I said that I would think about it. So I phoned back a while later & a Lady answered the phone & said she was the Manageress & told me as a gesture of goodwill the link would be removed free of charge. She said the only reason they charged for this service if the Watch was not purchased there was for insurance purposes, in case the Watch was damaged in the process of removing the link. The link was removed successfully free of charge. I just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 02:50 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Link Removel

My ad charges non customers and I would too. They don’t pay a watchmaker to be there 8 hours a day out of generosity. You want to use their services then pay for it.

I don’t buy the insurance line and they should just be honest as they are justified in doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 02:56 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I don't work for free and do not know anyone else that does either
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:01 AM   #4
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Charge for non customers - seems fair
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:02 AM   #5
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
A reasonble fee is surely acceptable. I just bought all the link removal tools and do it myself now, but I must say it takes a lot of patience being slow and steady with a lot of tape to do it without damaging something. If I were near my AD I would just let them do it though.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:06 AM   #6
harvey
"TRF" Member

You wouldn't buy a pair of trousers from one shop and expect another to alter them for free?
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:07 AM   #7
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby81 View Post
Today I phoned up the only Rolex AD in my city with the intention of having a link removed. So I ask will there be a charge, one assistant says because the Watch was not purchased there, there would be a charge. The Watch is only two months old. So I said that I would think about it. So I phoned back a while later & a Lady answered the phone & said she was the Manageress & told me as a gesture of goodwill the link would be removed free of charge. She said the only reason they charged for this service if the Watch was not purchased there was for insurance purposes, in case the Watch was damaged in the process of removing the link. The link was removed successfully free of charge. I just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience
They are not Rolex, they are a store that sells Rolex. I wouldn't expect them to do it free any more than I would expect some random Buick dealer to install the new tires I bought online at no charge.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:16 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Just cannot understand why anyone would go to a AD to remove a link, if you can unscrew a screw it's a very simple thing to do yourself.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:18 AM   #9
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Just to set the record straight the reason I started this thread was not about having the link removed free of charge, it was the reason they gave for the charge, insurance purposes which had me baffled & I just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:20 AM   #10
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
I never been charged from ADs for change on links from any ADs that I didn't buy the watch from..
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:25 AM   #11
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I would feel embarrassed going to the AD if I did not bought the watch there and perhaps even more embarrassed bothering anybody with the simplest DIY possible
Old 31 July 2018, 03:31 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Just to set the record straight the reason I started this thread was not about having the link removed free of charge, it was the reason they gave for the charge, insurance purposes which had me baffled & I just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience
Sounds like their made up justification for the charge instead of just charging for a simple service.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:32 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s a line so they can blame insurance. It’s a way to avoid conflict.

I’ve been in an AD before that had a sign that said insurance requires a photo ID to try on watches. They didn’t ask me for mine but if they have someone they are uncomfortable with they can say “insurance requirements” instead of “you look sketchy “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 06:30 AM   #14
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with taking an expensive watch to a professional to remove a link.
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 07:27 AM   #15
fdm79
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Here is my case:

I've been a Costumer from my AD for the last 4 years, bought my BLNR and LVc with them, including some minor jewelry for my wife. I even keep the saleswoman personal contact number on my phone messenger as she ended up becoming a friend.
When she put me on the BLRO waiting list, I was the 4th in line to get it. 2 weeks ago, she called me informing I would get my BLRO in the middle/end of August...

I ended up buying my BLRO from another city's AD, which I've never had business before and I did it because they had promised the watch for the end of July (Received last Thursday Jul. 26th) and since this city is 120 KM far from mine, we had an agreement that the watch should be delivered at my apartment if I closed the deal with them so I didn't have the chance to adjust the bracelet there.

Summing up, I was very concerned how this could affect my relationship with my "Original" AD. I told my friend and saleswoman what I did...
Waiting for the worst, for my surprise, she invited me to go there, have a coffee and adjust the bracelet and so I did. Needles to say, she didn't charge a penny.

During the night, I had realized that the clasp was just a LITTLE bit misaligned (I'm very picky with this) then I sent her a SMS asking how much she would charge for a second visit to remove a link from the other band of the bracelet. She told me to go there and again, nothing would be charged.

The following day, I went there and she Kindly had my brand new Jubilee readjusted and even gave me for free, a Cartier Cleaning kit for watches, 2 updated Rolex Catalogs, a bedside table watch tray aaaand.... a Rolex cleaning cloth !!!!!! Just because I asked if I could buy a cleaning cloth.

I left the place feeling VERY blessed with my AD....

Final thought: A quite different outcome compared to your Rolex city's AD.
Rolex GMT Master II 126710 BLRO - Rolex Submariner 116610 LV - Breitling Navitimer 01 Pan-American Bronze Limited Edition AB0121C4/Q605-447A - Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional 3861 (Sapphire) 310.30.42.50.01.002 - Omega Seamaster Diver 300M 41mm Ceramic (Blue) 212.30.41.20.03.001
fdm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 09:17 AM   #16
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
I have purchased all of my new Rolexes from my local AD, but I take in all of my watches when I want the bracelet removed. They used to charge me $10, but I have become a regular, stopping in to talk watches and see what they have in inventory so they stopped charging me.

Last week I took them four pizzas for lunch just to be nice because I had them change a number of bracelets and straps without paying for service. I felt it was the least I could do because they haven't charged me in a long time.
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:20 AM   #17
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by judson View Post
I have purchased all of my new Rolexes from my local AD, but I take in all of my watches when I want the bracelet removed. They used to charge me $10, but I have become a regular, stopping in to talk watches and see what they have in inventory so they stopped charging me.

Last week I took them four pizzas for lunch just to be nice because I had them change a number of bracelets and straps without paying for service. I felt it was the least I could do because they haven't charged me in a long time.
Nice gesture.
crew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:35 AM   #18
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm79 View Post

Here is my case:

I've been a Costumer from my AD for the last 4 years, bought my BLNR and LVc with them, including some minor jewelry for my wife. I even keep the saleswoman personal contact number on my phone messenger as she ended up becoming a friend.
When she put me on the BLRO waiting list, I was the 4th in line to get it. 2 weeks ago, she called me informing I would get my BLRO in the middle/end of August...

I ended up buying my BLRO from another city's AD, which I've never had business before and I did it because they had promised the watch for the end of July (Received last Thursday Jul. 26th) and since this city is 120 KM far from mine, we had an agreement that the watch should be delivered at my apartment if I closed the deal with them so I didn't have the chance to adjust the bracelet there.

Summing up, I was very concerned how this could affect my relationship with my "Original" AD. I told my friend and saleswoman what I did...
Waiting for the worst, for my surprise, she invited me to go there, have a coffee and adjust the bracelet and so I did. Needles to say, she didn't charge a penny.

During the night, I had realized that the clasp was just a LITTLE bit misaligned (I'm very picky with this) then I sent her a SMS asking how much she would charge for a second visit to remove a link from the other band of the bracelet. She told me to go there and again, nothing would be charged.

The following day, I went there and she Kindly had my brand new Jubilee readjusted and even gave me for free, a Cartier Cleaning kit for watches, 2 updated Rolex Catalogs, a bedside table watch tray aaaand.... a Rolex cleaning cloth !!!!!! Just because I asked if I could buy a cleaning cloth.

That was a very nice gesture on the end of your original AD. To me, if i had someone i really enjoyed working with, i would have waited the additional 30 days and bought the watch through her. But, thats all thrown out the window with the BLRO and the Daytona now days. They are just too hard to get and you have to take the first one that comes in!

I didn't buy my explorer from my AD. I was buying my wife a new ring and we were talking watches. I mentioned needing to adjust my Explorer and he did a micro adjustment for me inside the clasp and it fits perfect now! No charge and a discount on the ring.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:35 AM   #19
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
Nice gesture.
Thanks!
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:43 AM   #20
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Just cannot understand why anyone would go to a AD to remove a link, if you can unscrew a screw it's a very simple thing to do yourself.
1. Dexterity and/or vision problems
2. Inexperienced, would rather trust a professional to handle it
3. Can’t be bothered to learn/acquire the necessary tools

Proabably covers the same reasons why many people don’t change the oil in their own cars
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:47 AM   #21
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by judson View Post

That's awesome. Having and maintaining a good relationship with your AD can be extremely beneficial.
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 10:52 AM   #22
Pentameter
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I agree with this practice, but I can understand OP being surprised at it (somewhat) - there are other stores that will offer some basic services to you whether you purchased your item there or not.

Case in point, one day I was walking around in Hawaii and was complaining about how my sunglasses had become rather loose, when shortly after I came upon a sunglasses hut store. I went in and asked if they could tighten up my glasses, and to my surprise they not only tightened them up, but they sprayed some cleaner on and then polished / buffed them up for me. I think she also gave me a little cleaning cloth too. Not like that was super expensive or time-consuming, but it was about on par with removing a bracelet link from a watch I think. YMMV
Pentameter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:02 AM   #23
whuang29
"TRF" Member

Coming from South East Asia, this is very interesting as we dont pay any fees for removing links. But I understand why the ADs would charge a fee
whuang29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:07 AM   #24
floris
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II - Z
Just change it by yourself, super easy
floris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 11:32 AM   #25
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
It is really worth knowing how to do this yourself. Going to an AD, asking for it to be done, letting someone handle it who may drop it or scratch it, is way more trouble than simply picking up a screwdriver and doing it yourself.
If they take the watch out of your sight, how do you know that they have not dropped it?

One of the good things about Rolex watches is how easy it is to add or remove links. Take advantage of it and do it yourself.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 12:52 PM   #26
fdm79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
That was a very nice gesture on the end of your original AD. To me, if i had someone i really enjoyed working with, i would have waited the additional 30 days and bought the watch through her. But, thats all thrown out the window with the BLRO and the Daytona now days. They are just too hard to get and you have to take the first one that comes in!

I didn't buy my explorer from my AD. I was buying my wife a new ring and we were talking watches. I mentioned needing to adjust my Explorer and he did a micro adjustment for me inside the clasp and it fits perfect now! No charge and a discount on the ring.
I totally agree with you.
Even felt bad about it but she couldn't be more honest when she said nothing would change ! Plus, she laughed and said the BLRO would simply go to the next one in line. I forgot to mention that during my second visit to adjust, I saw a senior couple entering the store and the husband was asking about the BLRO.
It's simply insane how this watch has become like a virus, affecting 99% of Rolex lovers.
Rolex GMT Master II 126710 BLRO - Rolex Submariner 116610 LV - Breitling Navitimer 01 Pan-American Bronze Limited Edition AB0121C4/Q605-447A - Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional 3861 (Sapphire) 310.30.42.50.01.002 - Omega Seamaster Diver 300M 41mm Ceramic (Blue) 212.30.41.20.03.001
Old 31 July 2018, 03:47 PM   #27
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
Quote:

Here is my case:

OP walked in off the street and talked to an AD he'd never met. You bought two high sought after Rolex watches and they've known you for 4 years. What do you expect?

Quote:
I forgot to mention that during my second visit to adjust, I saw a senior couple entering the store and the husband was asking about the BLRO.
It's simply insane how this watch has become like a virus, affecting 99% of Rolex lovers.
99%?? You seen one guy ask for the BLRO. You need to go over to the Vintage section and read up. You'll find that's not the case.

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 03:51 PM   #28
NimbleNavigator
"TRF" Member

How does anyone consider themselves a man without knowing how to use a screwdriver?

Sad.
NimbleNavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 04:15 PM   #29
fdm79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D O C View Post
OP walked in off the street and talked to an AD he'd never met. You bought two high sought after Rolex watches and they've known you for 4 years. What do you expect?
Although you have a point, no matter what you think, I'll stick with my impressions when it comes to a nice gesture and/or a good will. The AD that actually sold me the BLRO is pretty much the contradiction of your logic. They didn't know me at the time I asked to be on their waiting list and ended up being the first one to get the first BLRO they received. Sorry !

Quote:
Originally Posted by D O C View Post
99%?? You seen one guy ask for the BLRO. You need to go over to the Vintage section and read up. You'll find that's not the case.
Again, another subjective affirmation. Maybe I was silly trying to put a number on this but my point was that even with all the fuss about the new BLRO, having someone entering the store (An Authorized Reseller, not a Rolex boutique. They sell Tag Heuer, Cartier, Breitling, Jewelry, etc.) when I only spent around 10 minutes to readjust my bracelet, I actually considered quite amazing the odds for this to happen when one could enter the store and ask for WHATEVER other product they had to sell (MANY).

Nevertheless, I appreciate your point of view...
Old 31 July 2018, 04:33 PM   #30
fdm79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleNavigator View Post
How does anyone consider themselves a man without knowing how to use a screwdriver?

Sad.
Carefully analyzing your statement, which I believe you have addressed it to the OP as well:

I shall review my skills and rethink if I am really a "man" due to the fact I wanted my AD to remove the link for me as they have the expertise and actually work with it every single day ....

The last I looked, according to my formation, I've been very much familiar to use more tools than you probably have heard of, in your entire life.

Right now I feel very blessed and lucky to have such a personality (you), with an extensive knowledge and incredibly long participation on this Forum (1 month... maybe less), posting lame, useless and non constructive comments towards other members just because you consider yourself a modern Chuck Norris since you are THE screwdriver man ! WoW

My advice: Try to be more polite, respectful and helpful to other members... You've just got here...