The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2006, 08:13 PM   #1
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Which models do you feel some ppl just dont get?

What are some Rolex models in the market that the avg person just wouldnt understand why we go so gaga googoo over? Discuss...

I guess we can start with the obvious which is the SS daytona, to a collector most of the time its the thrill of the hunt, the holy grail of Rolexes etc. The other side is that the avg person doesnt get our facination with some of the SS Professional models that scream heritage. To the avg person its a watch that is worth a lot more used than it is new or you have to wait 1000000 years for one if you are not "in" with a dealer.

Another would be the Submariner 14060M, the watch is worth over $5000Cdn and doesnt even have a date. Further more for ppl who do know a bit about watches its a watch that isnt even COSC.

Finally the Explorer, again a watch that isnt that special looking. There are tons of watches out there that have arabic numerals, Rolex itself has the airking and DJ (which has a date for the same money or less). For the same money there are lots of brands out there that can offer more watch for less money.

Many who are not like us will argue to the death that we buy for the name, but they just dont get it.

(Inspired by somebodys sig here, If you don't get it, you probably never will....)
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2006, 11:01 PM   #2
Atomic

I think most people 'don't get' expensive watches, period. Just yesterday a colleague actually noticed my watch and said 'is that a Rolex?'

I said yes, and she said, 'they cost close to $10,000... why would anyone spend that much on a watch?'

I told her 'either you get it or you don't, and if you have to ask, you don't get it.'

See, I use the forum in real life too!
Old 1 February 2006, 11:40 PM   #3
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I have to agree. Some people do not get why one would spend so much on a watch.

But I myself would not spend a ton of money on say a very fine wine. I like wine, but to me it is not worth it to spend a lot of money. Why? Because I have not developed that level of appreciation yet. In the same way some people may have not developed an deep appreciation for watches.

But to get back to the original question. I would agree that the SS daytona is a tough one to figure out. I speak from personal experience, although it is a nice watch, it does not do a lot for me.

The explorer on the other hand is quickly becoming one of my favorites. In fact the only watch I seem to wear lately. When a friend saw it, his coment was, why bother, you can't even tell it is a Rolex. My response was, "exactly."
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 02:56 AM   #4
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K
But to get back to the original question. I would agree that the SS daytona is a tough one to figure out. I speak from personal experience, although it is a nice watch, it does not do a lot for me.
Exactly!
Old 2 February 2006, 03:00 AM   #5
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF

I guess we can start with the obvious which is the SS daytona, to a collector most of the time its the thrill of the hunt, the holy grail of Rolexes etc.

I used to be under the SS Daytona's siren song, but after much thought, I decided that while it is likely the best chronograph around, I don't have any use for a chronograph function and more importantly, I will not cough up the huge premium you pay on a watch that is bastardized and lionized by professional flippers.

It's a great watch, but now it does absolutely nothing for me. Not in SS, TT or gold. I can appreciate them (particularly the WG with meteorite dial), but that's as far as it goes for me.
Old 2 February 2006, 03:01 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
I think most entry level Rollies which are dateless and non-COSC certified, would be puzzling to the commoner out there. I mean, even they are expensive watches and I suppose a layman would still want to know why so much cash was doled out for something that merely tells time and bugger all else!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 03:03 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
I used to be under the SS Daytona's siren song, but after much thought, I decided that while it is likely the best chronograph around, I don't have any use for a chronograph function and more importantly, I will not cough up the huge premium you pay on a watch that is bastardized and lionized by professional flippers.

It's a great watch, but now it does absolutely nothing for me. Not in SS, TT or gold. I can appreciate them (particularly the WG with meteorite dial), but that's as far as it goes for me.
I think you've summed that up perfectly, Johnny. As superb a timepiece as it might be, the high price just does not justify us working people to go out there and plonk so much cash down on the dealer's counter for it.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 03:22 AM   #8
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
If some "chick" comments on the price of our watches, Ask her why she didn't buy her purse/shoes/skirt/jacket etc at Walmart. Why does she want the Louis Vuitton,Armani, etc.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 03:24 AM   #9
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
If some "chick" comments on the price of our watches, Ask her why she didn't buy her purse/shoes/skirt/jacket etc at Walmart. Why does she want the Louis Vuitton,Armani, etc.
I used a similar tactic when my wife gives me grief. I just point to her mountain of shoes and say, 'pardon?'
Old 2 February 2006, 03:26 AM   #10
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I think Darens signature says it all. If they have to ask, they just don't get it. People think I'm crazy for spending so much on a watch. And even more crazy for wearing it everywhere.
If the NON BELIEVERS buy an expensive watch they seem to opt for a less expensive brand with alot more bling. I don' think they understand the history, craftsmanship,and heritage of Rolex or the magnitude of their accomplishments over the years.
I would think the 14060m would be the model most confusing to those who are not afflicted with this addiction of ours. They see simple and plain, not classic and timeless. very much the same as with the Exp 1.
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 05:43 AM   #11
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Like C.J. said Darens signature says it all. Some of my friends wonder why I want a watch that costs that much. I'm usually just a smartass about it and just say "Why not?". Speaking of the explorer I one of the guys who works where my dad does just got one. From what it sounds like it was a great deal too. He got it LNIB for like $2,500 if I'm not mistaking. I think it's a fairly recent model too. This is the same guy who I will try to get to get me a used Rollie for the first one. Yay! Oh, that was completley off topic wasn't it? Schweet!

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 07:18 AM   #12
Rackness
"TRF" Member

it has already been stated perfectly but it is definatly either you get it or you don't. if some one feels that high end watches are not worth it and over priced it is a dead conversation no amount of talk and explanation will change their mind.

i must agree i really like the daytona but for anything more than msrp. they can pound sand it is not that nice.

all the best,
Jason
Rackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 08:23 AM   #13
Rodentman
Banned

SS Daytona

I owned a black SS Daytona twice and sold it both times. I have no need for a chronograph, and disliked the polished center links and bezel. I DID like the clasp and solid center links however.

I'd like to see those bracelet improvements on the SS sport models, but the price will go up accordingly, and I think I wouldn't pay over $5K for a sub or SD.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 03:04 PM   #14
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
For me there is one watch that does not get the credit it deserves. I would think it would have the same hype that surrounds the SS Daytona. I mean the watch is simple, beautiful and more rare even.

Why has the Yacht-Marinier not caught on anywhere other than Atlantic City?

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2006, 03:05 PM   #15
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Oh yeah, my signature, like Johnny said, sums it all up baby!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote