The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 9 March 2024, 02:01 AM   #211
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
OP, thank you for sharing your cautionary story, and I'm sorry to hear about your experience.
Old 9 March 2024, 02:03 AM   #212
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GL View Post
It's unfortunate that the watches craze is over now. If the craze is still on, this thread won't exist .

It's unfair to focus on AP. Most brands or ADs were doing the same sales tactics.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Agree on point 1.

Disagree on point 2 : it's posted in the APsubforum so guess which brand we're talking about? I'm sure the same could be said for PP or Rolex ADs
Old 9 March 2024, 09:53 AM   #213
xliang23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
What about the 11.59 PC? Retail now is $106k before tax (!!), on C24 the lowest is around $70 and I'm sure you can grab it for $65k if you offered it.

Selling it grey I'd be surprised if you could get rid of it for above $62... That's close to a $50k bath
Whilst you're right that the comps on the original post are way way off, OP bought them 2 years ago before multiple price rises, so it should be compared to MSRP at time of purchase
Old 9 March 2024, 12:08 PM   #214
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GL View Post
It's unfortunate that the watches craze is over now. If the craze is still on, this thread won't exist .

It's unfair to focus on AP. Most brands or ADs were doing the same sales tactics.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
It unfortunately for the poster that he got caught "holding the bag" when the market dropped, but I definitely don't think it is bad that the watch craze is over.

If all you really are after is a 16202 and maybe a ROO or Code....go to AP for the first watch and then go grey for the second. Maybe in ten years you will want something else, etc.

It is likely not in your best interest to buy 8 watches you don't really want in two years to get a Jumbo or a QP. The delta between what you spent for those additional 6 watches and the grey mark up on the watch you really want is now skewed toward the grey market.

He probably bought them all thinking he would put them in a safe, get the watch he really wants and then sell and make a small gain...because the market just kept going up.

He made a bad gamble. Has he even told us what watch he was trying to get to?
Old 9 March 2024, 06:13 PM   #215
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
What about the 11.59 PC? Retail now is $106k before tax (!!), on C24 the lowest is around $70 and I'm sure you can grab it for $65k if you offered it.

Selling it grey I'd be surprised if you could get rid of it for above $62... That's close to a $50k bath
Retail would have been 80k or so back then? Retail has gone up quite a bit since he purchased all of these

I think my comps are off by the taxes on top, but wouldn't say they are wildly off vs PURCHASE msrp
Old 9 March 2024, 06:14 PM   #216
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xliang23 View Post
Whilst you're right that the comps on the original post are way way off, OP bought them 2 years ago before multiple price rises, so it should be compared to MSRP at time of purchase
That was the intention

off by taxes I think.
Old 12 March 2024, 01:02 PM   #217
APJourneyFail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
Retail would have been 80k or so back then? Retail has gone up quite a bit since he purchased all of these

I think my comps are off by the taxes on top, but wouldn't say they are wildly off vs PURCHASE msrp
You are way off on most. For example , the code PC was 103k out the door. This included a $500 small strap so it would fit my wife also. They don’t even throw that in on a 100k purchase , lol.
Old 12 March 2024, 01:18 PM   #218
ijoinedforthisthread
"TRF" Member

Wow this is an incredible story. I'm sorry to hear it. If I am being honest, I believe you were far too nice and trusting - surely after 3 or 4 watches, you should be getting something you actually asked for. You could offload all these pieces you don't want and buy what you want on grey market - just a thought.
Old 12 March 2024, 01:23 PM   #219
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJourneyFail View Post
You are way off on most. For example , the code PC was 103k out the door. This included a $500 small strap so it would fit my wife also. They don’t even throw that in on a 100k purchase , lol.
Wtf, how often does that happen where a boutique makes you buy an extra strap just to fit? That seems worse than dicking you over allocations. I mean I get it if you're getting a different style strap or color etc but for sizing purposes that seems nuts.
Old 12 March 2024, 06:38 PM   #220
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Wtf, how often does that happen where a boutique makes you buy an extra strap just to fit? That seems worse than dicking you over allocations. I mean I get it if you're getting a different style strap or color etc but for sizing purposes that seems nuts.

It was not for sizing. It was for an EXTRA strap to fit the wrist of his wife.

Different strap for sizing is free.

But agree, if I was the seller, would toss it in for free.
Old 12 March 2024, 07:33 PM   #221
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJourneyFail View Post

Incredible...reinforces the fact that your SA was a total weasel...usually get multiple extra straps (one exotic one canvas) and other goodies after every CODE purchase, even during the crazy years of 21-22. Pretty unfortunate, and hope you change boutiques altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread