The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 2 January 2021, 08:16 AM   #1
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
SLA 037 comfort

Just hoping for some feedback from owners. Stunning watch. However, I did just watch a video where the owner stated that in his opinion the new 149 was actually more comfortable than the 037. Anyone care to share their experience with the 037 in terms of comfort. I have a 7in flat wrist btw. Thx in advance.
Old 2 January 2021, 08:31 AM   #2
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I haven't taken mine off for at least a week, very comfortable watch IMO

7.25 flattish wrist

Should also note mine is quite new, the rubber was comfortable right out of the box unlike some I have had that need to be broken in

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 09:42 AM   #3
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
I have a 7 inch wrist and own both the SPB149 and SLA037. Both are comfortable for me, but I think the 037 is the most comfortable of the two.

Though the 037 is slightly thicker, the OEM strap on it is exponentially better than that of the 149, IMO, and the way the 037 caseback is shaped makes it sit on my wrist perfectly. YMMV, but I think the 037 is a fantastic watch.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 10:49 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think the 037 is more comfortable sitting down as my wallet is 5k lighter than when I own the 149. All joking aside, the 037 is an exceptional watch and very comfortable to wear. Visually it is different than the 149 but in the end, for me, the 149 does it all for significantly less money and close to as much vintage bang. I have owned both and can be eccentric in my buying so it is not a money thing specifically, it is a value thing for me. The 143, 147 and the 149 all touch the right bases for me and they wear and look great. The 037 is a cool watch but one that just does not work as well for me. I would try the 149 and see if it works for you. You could have the 143,147, 145 and the 149 for less than the 037 and have quite a collection. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 02:58 AM   #5
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

The 037 is the most comfortable strap watch I have worn in a long while. I received it on Wednesday and have not taken it off since. I highly recommend it. Good luck with your purchase.
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 01:43 AM   #6
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Thank you all for the feedback. I actually have the 149, and am enjoying it. The 037 just seems incredible. I love the hand finishing, the domed crystal, and the color of the dial. I also noticed the new SLA 043, which is a little less expensive. I would have to see that "glacier blue" seconds hand in person though. While I like the brushed finish on the 043, part of my attraction to Seiko is seeing the distinction between the polished and brushed finishes on the same case. The only other concern I have about the 037 and the 043 is the bracelet length appears really long. I wonder if Seiko will make a shorter strap for these models as a lot of people seem to be making the same complaint?
Old 20 January 2021, 12:02 PM   #7
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Thank you all for the feedback. I actually have the 149, and am enjoying it. The 037 just seems incredible. I love the hand finishing, the domed crystal, and the color of the dial. I also noticed the new SLA 043, which is a little less expensive. I would have to see that "glacier blue" seconds hand in person though. While I like the brushed finish on the 043, part of my attraction to Seiko is seeing the distinction between the polished and brushed finishes on the same case. The only other concern I have about the 037 and the 043 is the bracelet length appears really long. I wonder if Seiko will make a shorter strap for these models as a lot of people seem to be making the same complaint?
The hue of the new ever bright steel is also very nice too. Some said it's even higher grade than Rolex 904L steel, but whatever the case, it's great.,
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 05:38 AM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The SLA037 is beautiful, but I found it too thick at 14.7mm, which is a lot for a watch that's under 40mm. It sits high on the wrist and is a bit top heavy, making it slightly uncomfortable on my 6.75 inch wrist. By comparison the old 16600 Rolex Sea-Dweller is only 14.5mm thick and also has a different shape that makes it more comfortable.

The SLA037 is the thickest of the SLA Seiko retro redos. The SLA017 and SLA043 are both 14.1mm thick.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 07:14 AM   #9
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
It's a great looking watch.
Old 23 January 2021, 07:18 AM   #10
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The SLA037 is beautiful, but I found it too thick at 14.7mm, which is a lot for a watch that's under 40mm. It sits high on the wrist and is a bit top heavy, making it slightly uncomfortable on my 6.75 inch wrist. By comparison the old 16600 Rolex Sea-Dweller is only 14.5mm thick and also has a different shape that makes it more comfortable.

The SLA037 is the thickest of the SLA Seiko retro redos. The SLA017 and SLA043 are both 14.1mm thick.
Is this true? I'd thought the 017 and the 037 were the exact same case/dimensions?
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 07:46 AM   #11
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
Is this true? I'd thought the 017 and the 037 were the exact same case/dimensions?
Yes, it's true. I write from experience, and it's also on the Seiko website.

I've owed both of those watches, and even though it's only .6mm between them in thickness, it definitely makes a difference, and not necessarily in a good way.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:31 AM   #12
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Yes, it's true. I write from experience, and it's also on the Seiko website.

I've owed both of those watches, and even though it's only .6mm between them in thickness, it definitely makes a difference, and not necessarily in a good way.
good to know!
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote