The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 October 2019, 12:38 AM   #1
DGP
"TRF" Member

Rolex v Omega

My regular AD said something interesting the other day. That we “watch people” split into two camps. Either Rolex or Omega.
He does have both dealerships. So no axe to grind!
I’ve bought half a dozen Rolex’s but never really looked at Omega.
I appreciate this site is Rolex bias but I’m interested in how many of you also have Omega’s?
DGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:42 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I have both. Both are great watches.

Rolex has better marketing and more iconic models probably, and better resale if that matters to you. But nothing wrong with Omega.

I have many watch brands and buy because of what I like not because of who makes it.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:44 AM   #3
Jhowton23
"TRF" Member

own both- love both. the new seamaster 300m is an absolute home run and definitely is on my list to get
Jhowton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:47 AM   #4
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I have both and plan to add another Omega, but I’m more of a discontinued model fan on both brands. If I can find a clean full set Planet Ocean 2201.50 with the 2500D movement that will be the next pick up.
Old 17 October 2019, 12:48 AM   #5
R G
Banned

Have watches from both. Omega is a great brand and makes great watches.

Did your AD make this statement without you subsequently asking to see the Omega range?!
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:50 AM   #6
1SG MTB
"TRF" Member

I don’t currently own an Omega because every time I’m in a mood to spend a good amount on a watch I end up gravitating back to Rolex. That said, I love many of their watches and would love to have a Speedmaster one day.
1SG MTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:51 AM   #7
Virtued
"TRF" Member

Own some watches from different brands. Love them all. It’s all about one’s taste and preferences. Omega makes nice watches for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Virtued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:53 AM   #8
minhc88
"TRF" Member

We'll to me it seems most watch collectors can go with out a Omega in their collection where as cannot go with out a Rolex in the collection. Too many iconic pieces from Rolex to not even have one in your collection.

Plus isn't Omega and Rolex seen on different tiers? Cannot scratch that Rolex itch by buying an Omega.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
minhc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:54 AM   #9
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

The quality is better on Rolex. I own both brands.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 01:51 PM   #10
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamnyc View Post
The quality is better on Rolex. I own both brands.
I could not disagree more. I have owned hundreds of each. You also need to compare certain models to each other to even make a blanket statement like this. What are you comparing?

Omega makes a damn good watch!
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 03:51 AM   #11
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandevelde View Post
I could not disagree more. I have owned hundreds of each. You also need to compare certain models to each other to even make a blanket statement like this. What are you comparing?

Omega makes a damn good watch!
Hundreds?
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 03:56 AM   #12
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Just curious. Since you have had so many, I assume you buy and sell quite a bit. Which are the ones you love and won't part with from each of these two brands?
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:55 AM   #13
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The two camp argument is played out.
Own them both and love them both. Omega is more enthusiast and less brand cachet oriented these days. Their horological history is significant and impressive.
These days Omega METAS movements and fit and finish is spectacular. I have owned both along the way but Omega has gravitated to a higher level recently in their METAS movements and watch construction. Their bracelets are now excelent with micro adjustment and their fit and finish is loupe worthy.

My most recent Omega acquisition this summer. This is their master chronometer planet ocean chronograph. The chronograph buttons can be pushed under the water and I have done so on many of dives so far. It is sub 1 second a week movement with or without the chronograph running and is using the superior dual barrel mainspring that regulates its power reserve more accurately thought out its entire range. Ceramic rotor bearings, etc... If your into movements that excels in every category then the cal.9900 is the movement.

The Omega vs Rolex rivalry is mainly kept alive by uneducated fanboys of each brand.
It’s not Ferrari or Porsche? The correct answer is both in the garage.

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 10:04 AM   #14
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
My regular AD said something interesting the other day. That we “watch people” split into two camps. Either Rolex or Omega.
He does have both dealerships. So no axe to grind!
I’ve bought half a dozen Rolex’s but never really looked at Omega.
I appreciate this site is Rolex bias but I’m interested in how many of you also have Omega’s?
Although this is a Rolex forum, I think a lot of us here are watch enthusiasts in general. I have both, and TBH, I think I nerd out more over Omega. I also fancy Casio, go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Own them both and love them both. Omega is more enthusiast and less brand cachet oriented these days. Their horological history is significant and impressive.
These days Omega METAS movements and fit and finish is spectacular. I have owned both along the way but Omega has gravitated to a higher level recently in their METAS movements and watch construction. Their bracelets are now excelent with micro adjustment and their fit and finish is loupe worthy.

My most recent Omega acquisition this summer. This is their master chronometer planet ocean chronograph. The chronograph buttons can be pushed under the water and I have done so on many of dives so far. It is sub 1 second a week movement with or without the chronograph running and is using the superior dual barrel mainspring that regulates its power reserve more accurately thought out its entire range. Ceramic rotor bearings, etc... If your into movements that excels in every category then the cal.9900 is the movement.

The Omega vs Rolex rivalry is mainly kept alive by uneducated fanboys of each brand.

Mr Mystro, I find myself liking your posts quite a lot.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 07:04 AM   #15
1SG MTB
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is an awesome looking watch, love that orange. I have my eye on the Speedmaster Grey Side of the Moon. As you say, fit and finish are spectacular, and there’s something about that moon dust looking dial.
1SG MTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:26 AM   #16
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Rolex v Omega

Quote:

I recall us sporting our 2500's on the forums back in the day, looks like we both upgraded. Stunning watch!
Old 26 November 2019, 01:58 PM   #17
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:

Well said. I have the titanium 9900. Awesome watch!

As for all the resale comments....buy USED! I won't pay retail for either brands!
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:56 AM   #18
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
If you want a 007 watch or an exclusive limited edition then it has to be Omega.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 12:59 AM   #19
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I definitely like Rolex's offerings better than Omega. That being said, Omega makes some incredibly impressive watches and my next high-end watch may very well be the 41mm SMPC - currently a nearly unbeatable value for the amount of watch you get.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:03 AM   #20
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

I was very anti Rolex for a long time. They seemed to me to be the watch that people bought to get recognition or were bought due to a lack of imagination. ("I've hit a milestone, I want a Rolex"). After all... there is a world of watches out there and I had an anti snobbery complex which made me buy anything BUT Rolex.

After years of not owning any Rolex I now have three. Still have Omega (two at the moment). I appreciate Rolex for what they are (robust, iconic/recognisable) but also dislike the fact they are so ubiquitous (except of in AD cabinets obviously!).

Basically, both should be in a collection IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 17 October 2019, 01:11 AM   #21
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

I have a Rolex, or Omega for each year of the 1950s (8 Rolex and 2 Omega). For that decade, to me the two brands are of the same quality.

I have a 1973 Omega 125 purchased last week which was never worn. That watch is superior to any watch I've ever had. I have owned a brand new Sea Dweller,
Rose gold Daytona and I currently have a brand new Oyster Perpetual 36mm. The Omega is breath taking and everyone who has seen it has been seriously impressed. Comments include "beyond amazing" and "never been impressed by any watch I've ever seen until I saw this watch". Based on this one watch, I'd say Omega is the superior brand to me.

I don't think the modern watches from Omega and Rolex are of different quality. I see them as equivalent.

If you look at the Omega Speedmaster Moon watch with Hesalite, there isn't a Rolex that could be a substitute. There are no Rolex watches with a cool factor equivalent to this watch ... my opinion.

I think Rolex are fantastic watches. They have a great history and some of their modern watches are still made that are consistent with watches of the past ... explorer, submariner no date, Oyster Perpetual 36mm.

It seems that the emphasis with Rolex and their modern watches is more focused on watch jewelry than watches that appeal for their function performance and mechanical precision. But as I pointed out, there are some watches in their lineup that don't have that blingy focus.

I think if one sticks with Rolex exclusively, they may be excluding many fantastic watches that others build, Omega being one.
DaveDhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2020, 11:01 PM   #22
tritium-lume
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDhc View Post
I have a Rolex, or Omega for each year of the 1950s (8 Rolex and 2 Omega). For that decade, to me the two brands are of the same quality.

I have a 1973 Omega 125 purchased last week which was never worn. That watch is superior to any watch I've ever had. I have owned a brand new Sea Dweller,
Rose gold Daytona and I currently have a brand new Oyster Perpetual 36mm. The Omega is breath taking and everyone who has seen it has been seriously impressed. Comments include "beyond amazing" and "never been impressed by any watch I've ever seen until I saw this watch". Based on this one watch, I'd say Omega is the superior brand to me.

I don't think the modern watches from Omega and Rolex are of different quality. I see them as equivalent.

If you look at the Omega Speedmaster Moon watch with Hesalite, there isn't a Rolex that could be a substitute. There are no Rolex watches with a cool factor equivalent to this watch ... my opinion.

I think Rolex are fantastic watches. They have a great history and some of their modern watches are still made that are consistent with watches of the past ... explorer, submariner no date, Oyster Perpetual 36mm.

It seems that the emphasis with Rolex and their modern watches is more focused on watch jewelry than watches that appeal for their function performance and mechanical precision. But as I pointed out, there are some watches in their lineup that don't have that blingy focus.

I think if one sticks with Rolex exclusively, they may be excluding many fantastic watches that others build, Omega being one.
This (and thanks for opening my eyes to the 125 )
tritium-lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:16 AM   #23
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
I own both brands and believe Omega engineering, build quality, reliability and time-keeping are all equal to that of Rolex based on a dozen years of ownership.

There is a pretty heavy contingent here of people who think Rolex is superior to Omega however most of those people have never owned both brands and base their claims on resale value and desirability which Rolex does win easily.

Rolex vs Omega threads usual divide the forum into Rolex enthusiasts vs watch enthusiasts.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 02:37 PM   #24
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew7 View Post
I own both brands and believe Omega engineering, build quality, reliability and time-keeping are all equal to that of Rolex based on a dozen years of ownership.

There is a pretty heavy contingent here of people who think Rolex is superior to Omega however most of those people have never owned both brands and base their claims on resale value and desirability which Rolex does win easily.

Rolex vs Omega threads usual divide the forum into Rolex enthusiasts vs watch enthusiasts.
I own both:

Rolex: Deepsea 126660, current model BLNR

Omega: Constellation Ernie Els, Planet Ocean Big Blue, Speedy Pro, Speedy CK2998 silver/white dial, Speedy Hodinkee, and just found out my wife is surprising me with the blue and black/gold dial Tokyo 2020 Speedys to be picked up on an upcoming Japan trip.

I don't see the quality of one being any better than the other, but acknowledge the difference in marketing power for which Rolex holds the crown (pun intended).

I also own a bunch of other watches from other brands and believe there is a vast world of timekeeping worth looking into. Personally, I would consider myself a Breguet lover/collector more than anything else, with Omega following second due to my love of Speedmasters.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:20 AM   #25
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Let’s also remember Omega has a multi tiered watch structure for different price points unlike Rolex. It’s easy to cherry pick more entry level watches from Omega and find fault with them against Rolex. You have to stay in the top tier of the Omega line to make a educated comparison with Rolex.
Old 17 October 2019, 01:23 AM   #26
DGP
"TRF" Member

Thanks Guy’s. Interesting responses . More Omega fans than I was predicting!
But maybe I shouldn’t be surprised as this is in the Omega discussion part of the site.
I thought I had posted it in the Rolex part.
Old 17 October 2019, 01:32 AM   #27
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
I thought I had posted it in the Rolex part.
The thread was probably moved. It's an interesting discussion for sure, but it's the oldest debate on watch forums, people never get to any conclusion but some get banned when the temperature rises. BTW I own Omega of course.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 01:27 AM   #28
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I think he will find on TRF most of us are not one brand centric. Look at the daily WURW threads and you will see a health representation of Panerai, AP, Omega, Patek, etc.. as well as Rolex. This is what makes TRF stand above other forums as there is more experienced watch collectors here.
Old 17 October 2019, 01:34 AM   #29
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I owned an Omega speedmaster reduced while in school. Was a good watch. I just never wore it. Gave it to my best man. The craftsmanship is stunning and at half the price of a Rolex, it’s a steal.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 02:14 AM   #30
DGP
"TRF" Member

Moved!
Thanks for explaining FTX I
But moved? The thread is Rolex v Omega not Omega v Rolex (and I think I made my bias towards Rolex blatantly obvious!
I’m new to the form. I knew I was “throwing a cat amongst the pigeons “ but I don’t want to get anyone banded.
So if tempers start to get out of hand I’d be happy of the whole thread to be removed.