The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 31 March 2020, 11:44 AM   #61
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I have a very close client in Italy that had a fever for 4 week and he tested positive for corona. They tried something ‘experimental’ which was the malaria and z pack. His fever broke within 2 hours. It’s been a week and he feels like a new guy. It seems to have cured him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Holy crap. Amazing, let’s hope this is for real and it becomes our savior!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 March 2020, 12:22 PM   #62
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Today, announcement at White House:

https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-...y-pandemic-use

"Johnson & Johnson Announces a Lead Vaccine Candidate for COVID-19; Landmark New Partnership with U.S. Department of Health & Human Services; and Commitment to Supply One Billion Vaccines Worldwide for Emergency Pandemic Use"

"Johnson & Johnson and BARDA Together Commit More than $1 Billion to Novel Coronavirus Vaccine Research and Development; Company Expects to Initiate Phase 1 Human Clinical Studies of Vaccine Candidate at Latest by September 2020
Johnson & Johnson Will Establish New U.S. Vaccine Manufacturing Capabilities and Additional Production Capacity Outside the U.S. to Begin Production at Risk to Help Ensure Global Vaccine Supply"

"NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J., March 30, 2020 – Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) (the Company) today announced the selection of a lead COVID-19 vaccine candidate from constructs it has been working on since January 2020; the significant expansion of the existing partnership between the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson and the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA); and the rapid scaling of the Company’s manufacturing capacity with the goal of providing global supply of more than one billion doses of a vaccine. The Company expects to initiate human clinical studies of its lead vaccine candidate at the latest by September 2020 and anticipates the first batches of a COVID-19 vaccine could be available for emergency use authorization in early 2021, a substantially accelerated timeframe in comparison to the typical vaccine development process."
Old 31 March 2020, 01:09 PM   #63
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Ok, other than disease management what has been done? How about life expectancy in the US? What have we cured? So before you ask if I’m joking, bring some facts to the discussion here? Obesity is surging, diabetes surging, suicide surging, opiate and other addiction surging? Yes, stroke is down from the 60’s but this is due to management rather than real prevention. Also, what have we cured recently?

You cite behavioral disorders that impact the medical system, not medical disorders. Diabetes (except Type I), obesity, suicide, addiction... every single victim is a volunteer.

Talk to a heart valve surgery patient of 1980 versus today. Or a breast cancer survivor. Etc. Ask if we've progressed.

The progress has been epic. To judge it by "What have we cured lately" is sophomoric. Our treatments are orders of magnitude less intrusive and more effective.

Often, because of the massive computing power available to medical researchers.

Someone posted a video (a video, ugh, can people not type) of some silicon valley wonk. Full of "If we had just let Europe fall to the soviets, we could have cured all the diseases with that money". Idiotic. Not to mention, our traffic crash victims are survivors rather than deceased because of what we learn on the battlefield.

You want to go back to 1980 standards of medical care, have at it. I'd rather acknowledge and enjoy the unprecedented period of progress, perhaps unmatched in human history other than the decade when we started washing our hands.

(Life expectancy is an extremely distorted metric. Since the sixties, we have had social policies intended to keep people in poverty to harvest their votes, and thwart their escape to self-sufficiency. That has had a very negative impact on life expectancy for the lower leisure classes, but no one else.)
Old 31 March 2020, 01:30 PM   #64
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
"FDA grants emergency use authorization for fastest available molecular point-of-care test for novel coronavirus."

Abbott to start shipping Abbott RealTime SARS-CoV-2 assay this week.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/...5-minutes.html

"DETECT COVID-19 IN AS LITTLE AS 5 MINUTES"
Old 31 March 2020, 01:48 PM   #65
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

I have faith that we are going to find medicines that help with recovery much sooner rather than later. I have big hopes on Chloroquine and Hydroxychlroquine. It seems odd that NY would order millions of doses and that the FDA would grant emergency approval for its use if it did not show great promise. Unfortunately, there are many who hope it fails for reasons other than medical which I find deplorable to say the least.
Also, as a frequent reader of the other much larger thread on Covid, it is amazing to see how we human beings react, one side seeming to relish in the misery and hopelessness of it all and the other side focusing on what little good news there is. I find myself strongly in the latter camp. While I still worry for the health of my family and friends, I try to remember that worrying will not add a single hour to your life.
Old 31 March 2020, 02:27 PM   #66
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
"FDA grants emergency use authorization for fastest available molecular point-of-care test for novel coronavirus."

Abbott to start shipping Abbott RealTime SARS-CoV-2 assay this week.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/...5-minutes.html

"DETECT COVID-19 IN AS LITTLE AS 5 MINUTES"
Can we say breakthrough?
Excellent find DM... thank you for sharing...
Old 31 March 2020, 09:47 PM   #67
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
You cite behavioral disorders that impact the medical system, not medical disorders. Diabetes (except Type I), obesity, suicide, addiction... every single victim is a volunteer.

Talk to a heart valve surgery patient of 1980 versus today. Or a breast cancer survivor. Etc. Ask if we've progressed.

The progress has been epic. To judge it by "What have we cured lately" is sophomoric. Our treatments are orders of magnitude less intrusive and more effective.

Often, because of the massive computing power available to medical researchers.

Someone posted a video (a video, ugh, can people not type) of some silicon valley wonk. Full of "If we had just let Europe fall to the soviets, we could have cured all the diseases with that money". Idiotic. Not to mention, our traffic crash victims are survivors rather than deceased because of what we learn on the battlefield.

You want to go back to 1980 standards of medical care, have at it. I'd rather acknowledge and enjoy the unprecedented period of progress, perhaps unmatched in human history other than the decade when we started washing our hands.

(Life expectancy is an extremely distorted metric. Since the sixties, we have had social policies intended to keep people in poverty to harvest their votes, and thwart their escape to self-sufficiency. That has had a very negative impact on life expectancy for the lower leisure classes, but no one else.)

So heart valve surgery started in the 60’s and while the innovations have become less invasive, where are we with the cures? Are the heart attacks rates significantly reduced? How about hypertension? No through the roof? How about diabetes? Your cartisian dualism of the mind-body split is not an argument in modern medicine. Of course behavior impacts our eating and exercise habits which intern impacts our health. That cannot be separated nor does anyone in modern medicine think they are separate.

Addiction specifically opiates takes us to chronic pain. All our surgeries and as you see progress, chronic pain is an epidemic.

Yes, breast cancer survival rates are better, what about colon cancer my friend? Well that’s up by a good margin. My point is that the amount of progress in computing and these silly devices such as iPhones and insta what ever has far outpaced the growth in modern medicine.

My question to you remains unanswered. Yes we are better at managing things. Again, what have we cured? Not managed, but cured? The leading causes of death are: heart disease, cancer, accidents, chronic respiratory disease, stroke, and Alzheimer’s. Now, look up top causes of death in 1960. What you will conclude is that little has changed. Your reducing my argument down to an adjective does not refute the data. You cite one single data point to support your argument about heart valve surgery? Well guess what, heart disease and vascular issues still remain top killers.

Sorry, with all the resources and money spent and all of our so called progress that you claim, I don’t think it sophomoric you expect a little more than well we can give you chemo (with horrid side effects) and maybe you can chug along another year or two. Sorry, I would like to see us with all hands on deck working on the true existential threats to this world, and us spending less time on silly insta whatever.

Old 1 April 2020, 07:01 AM   #68
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
I have faith that we are going to find medicines that help with recovery much sooner rather than later. I have big hopes on Chloroquine and Hydroxychlroquine. It seems odd that NY would order millions of doses and that the FDA would grant emergency approval for its use if it did not show great promise. Unfortunately, there are many who hope it fails for reasons other than medical which I find deplorable to say the least.
Also, as a frequent reader of the other much larger thread on Covid, it is amazing to see how we human beings react, one side seeming to relish in the misery and hopelessness of it all and the other side focusing on what little good news there is. I find myself strongly in the latter camp. While I still worry for the health of my family and friends, I try to remember that worrying will not add a single hour to your life.
It is strange isn’t it?

I see this too, and find it frustrating and confusing. It’s as if some folks, at all cost, need this to be an absolute disaster. And are determined to not only make it so, but also to ensure other people see it that way as well.

I’ve learned through experience, things often become how you see them. Attitude and perspective is everything.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 1 April 2020, 07:23 AM   #69
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
It is strange isn’t it?

I see this too, and find it frustrating and confusing. It’s as if some folks, at all cost, need this to be an absolute disaster. And are determined to not only make it so, but also to ensure other people see it that way as well.

I’ve learned through experience, things often become how you see them. Attitude and perspective is everything.

Both of you guys expressed it absolutely perfectly. Thanks.
Old 1 April 2020, 07:27 AM   #70
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Both of you guys expressed it absolutely perfectly. Thanks.
Amen

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 April 2020, 07:47 AM   #71
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:

It’s really hard to say scientifically when the outcome is still good for the majority of patients. When there are no clear cut answers, people do reach for anything that gives them hope. The biggest problem for me with chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine in the long term is retinal toxicity - because it is my medical specialty. Short term at reasonable doses I’d think either would be fine (not the fish tank cleaner!).

But even if the normal mortality rate is 2%, you would need a lot of patients and a lot more time than we have to prove that maybe it reduces mortality to 1% with the drugs. Because if you did a study of 200 patients (assume randomized to groups of similar age and pre-existing conditions) there would be multiple outcomes that could happen by chance alone. If everything went as I set up (which is based on assumptions that could be wrong) you would have two people die in the placebo group and one patient die in the treatment group. Now based on chance alone, just shift one patient. Say there are three deaths in the placebo group and none in the treatment group. Well then we would be saying we’ve found the answer. But if one extra person died being treated (2 in each group) then there would be no difference between treating and not treating. Salty different outcome based on a single patient.

So as a physician, I’ll defer a lot of this to people smarter than me in this field like Dr. Fauci. I’d seriously doubt that any human being would wish catastrophic levels of death purely for political purposes (while a bot certainly would). I’d like to see people continue to social distance to protect themselves, their family members, and health care professionals including myself and my colleagues. While the tunnel seems long (it is) keep going because we will get through it. Then we’ll get back to discussing and arguing about watches.

Old 3 April 2020, 10:10 AM   #72
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
It’s really hard to say scientifically when the outcome is still good for the majority of patients. When there are no clear cut answers, people do reach for anything that gives them hope. The biggest problem for me with chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine in the long term is retinal toxicity - because it is my medical specialty. Short term at reasonable doses I’d think either would be fine (not the fish tank cleaner!).

But even if the normal mortality rate is 2%, you would need a lot of patients and a lot more time than we have to prove that maybe it reduces mortality to 1% with the drugs. Because if you did a study of 200 patients (assume randomized to groups of similar age and pre-existing conditions) there would be multiple outcomes that could happen by chance alone. If everything went as I set up (which is based on assumptions that could be wrong) you would have two people die in the placebo group and one patient die in the treatment group. Now based on chance alone, just shift one patient. Say there are three deaths in the placebo group and none in the treatment group. Well then we would be saying we’ve found the answer. But if one extra person died being treated (2 in each group) then there would be no difference between treating and not treating. Salty different outcome based on a single patient.

So as a physician, I’ll defer a lot of this to people smarter than me in this field like Dr. Fauci. I’d seriously doubt that any human being would wish catastrophic levels of death purely for political purposes (while a bot certainly would). I’d like to see people continue to social distance to protect themselves, their family members, and health care professionals including myself and my colleagues. While the tunnel seems long (it is) keep going because we will get through it. Then we’ll get back to discussing and arguing about watches.

What’s your take on this Doc ?
Entire article worth reading.

https://www.knowingthetruth.com/5g-w...ction-exposed/
Old 16 May 2020, 12:31 AM   #73
maveric
"TRF" Member

2 months later and it turns out this was just another false hope...
Closed Thread