The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 October 2005, 03:00 AM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Blue-tooth Phone headsets.

I may be getting older, sometimes hi-tech gadgets overpower me but blue-tooth phone headsets.

I'm given to believe that people wear these things as it allows them to
A) multi-task
B) be hands free
C) Be ready just in case....? (in case of what ?)

The fact that they look like some cyborg t#ss#r out of Star Wars. Is something which I assume, to be part of a conspiracy among spotty, virgin,Matrix obsessed, socially retarded gadget designers who dream of people all looking like cyborg t#ss#rs.

I would go on to consolidate my opinion by looking at facts.Why they say you need blue-tooth phone headset,just encase you are eating, got to go to
the loo,using your both your hands.(not in the loo I hope)

By the same vein of logic should I not have a roll of toilet paper hanging round my neck and a bucket slung between my legs if I need a quick toilet?. Or perhaps I should stitch a knife and fork to my shirt cuffs just in case I get a bit peckish?

The fact that in the course of any day I assume I will eat and use the toilet at some point is given, must put headset in. (yeah yeah ,talking sh*te doesn't count) Yet the chances of taking a phone call,that justifies walking down the street looking like an utter tosss#r. With one of these blue-tooth thingies stuck in my ear-hole is very remote.

I suspect that there is a very large market just for the housing, with a flashing blue LED in the ear piece.

I'm no Luddite, but sometimes technophobics don't know their ars# from the elbow. Anyone remember the great day when digital watches first appeared, and you had to use two hands to tell the time? because you had to activate the effing screen???

Walked around the town centre Saturday, Blue-tooth headsets,stuck in the ear-holes of mainly teenagers,and some older 20s-30s year olds, it's become a fashion accessory, that only serves one purpose; to distance the user from any sense of reality.

In the car blue-tooth is very sensible accessory,but walking around the streets,having your food,sat on the loo, or doing the shopping with one stuck in your ear hole, with the little blue light flashing WTF for,(hang on beam me up Scottie) .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 03:02 AM   #2
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Funny you should mention Scotty, it has been announced today that his his remains are being sent into space on December 6th.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/15102005/80...ded-space.html

Member #10

Last edited by Uncle-AJ; 18 October 2005 at 03:04 AM..
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 03:07 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Wonder if they stuck a Blue-tooth headset in his ear-hole to keep in contact with all the Trekkie's on earth,must admit to being a big fan off all the Star-trek series

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 October 2005, 03:34 AM   #4
Atomic

A very good buddy of mine runs a Toyota/Lexus dealership (note I drive a Passat, lol) and he explained bluetooth to me when Lexus became capable. I can certainly see the value of it if you're carrying a briefcase, the ground is salty-slushy and you're talking business on the cell and need to get into your car.

Similarly, in provinces/countries/states where it is still legal to talk on a cell while driving, it makes a whole lot more sense than having to hold a cell phone. I mean talking on a cell while driving is distracting enough, let alone having to hold the damned thing (particularly if you drive stick in heavy traffic).

I can certainly see the value as we become more and more 'connected' but having had a Blackberry in my last job, I found that it was an amazing tool for work, but a terrible anchor that means people (from work) expect you to be accessible 24-7, for sometimes what seem the silliest requests.

For senior executives and media/crisis types, bluetooth is great. For most others, it's fashion (much like these dang-expensive watches we covet).
Old 18 October 2005, 03:40 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Yes would agree 100% in the car, IMO thats what its for, but to walk around with it stuck in your ear why.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 October 2005, 03:50 AM   #6
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Yes would agree 100% in the car, IMO thats what its for, but to walk around with it stuck in your ear why.
Because you can (and look like a tosser, IMHO).
Old 18 October 2005, 05:00 AM   #7
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
I may be getting older, sometimes hi-tech gadgets overpower me but blue-tooth phone headsets.
Cough! Ahum! Take a wee dram first the next time I speak for my country only of course but driving a car whilst holding a cell phone is a sure way to receive a very hefty fine. Some car kits are expensive and a pain to get integrated in the car and and a number the multi purpose car kits stink. So that's why those earpieces are used. They're not too expensive and can be used anywhere.

But in truth, a lot of those things are used by people (mainly youths) who just want to look 'cool'. (At least, they believe it makes them look cool). But I agree, some of those things make you look like a putz instead.

Take care,

Frans.

P.S. Dang, all that new-fangled technology. What will they think of next, a watch that runs off a battery? Don't make me laugh!

Last edited by Goodwatch; 18 October 2005 at 05:01 AM..
Goodwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 05:37 AM   #8
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

Peter, I am so glad you raised this subject. I thought I was the only one who disliked these things.The day I put one of those in my ear is the day when I have finally lost the plot.I see grown men in Tescos doing the shopping with them in there ears, just in case the wife rings to remind him to get corn flakes and both hands are on the trolley !

I hate those things.

I have a hands free car kit, does the job without looking like a total TWAT.

Apologies if i have offended anyone who uses one.
Old 18 October 2005, 05:44 AM   #9
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller

Errr, I have a Blue-Tooth earpiece for sale. Hardly used (only 2 times while at Tesco's). Any offer considered

Frans.
Old 18 October 2005, 05:46 AM   #10
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
Errr, I have a Blue-Tooth earpiece for sale. Hardly used (only 2 times while at Tesco's). Any offer considered

Frans.
Old 18 October 2005, 07:17 AM   #11
----

Ah, another Padi-rant - all is good with the world today!

Although I would fully agree that many (most?) out there are wearing these things just for show, in my view there is a real purpose to them, even when you are not driving a car. I think the jury is still out on the effects of cell phone radiation (energy) on the brain - unless of course you ask the cell phone industry, who will tell you there's nothing at all to worry about (I think they got their marketing strategy from the original makers of thalidomide.....). I personally would use one of these if I had to be on a cell phone for long periods in the day.

Having said that, I do agree that people walking around with them waiting for a phone call already appear to have the brain damage the units may prevent. I'll also clarify that I carry a cell phone for work (while at work) and only get a few calls a day, so my damage comes from somewhere else, apparently.......

Last edited by ----; 18 October 2005 at 07:17 AM..
Old 18 October 2005, 10:33 AM   #12
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Hi guys. I agree with the walking around in stores thing. Why can't you just pick up your phone and answer it? However, While driving a vehicle, I don't think they're a bad thing. They can prevent an accident if used properly. I plow snow and I can't wait until I can upgrade my phone so I can get one that is bluetooth enabled for the simple fact of the matter that when I use my hands free earpiece, the cord always gets in the way.
Old 18 October 2005, 10:39 AM   #13
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I happen to have a bluetooth headset that came with my phone. Would you like to go to the Star Trek convention with me? LOL On the serious side I never use the thing. It looks really stupid and it's annoying having that thing on your ear. Considering the fact I payed $250 for the phone I'm glad it came with something extra.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 10:45 AM   #14
mailman

Good point Tyler. What kind of phone is it?
Old 18 October 2005, 10:47 AM   #15
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
It's a Motorola V710. I love the phone. It's not too big, but not to small. Plus it looks cool.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 11:24 AM   #16
Manatee
Banned

I like my Bluetooth ear thing. The only downside is that it's one more thing you have to remember to charge. But it's nice to be able to do other things while you talk.

If someone looks at me funny when I'm wearing it, I walk like a robot.
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 01:01 PM   #17
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
It's a Motorola V710. I love the phone. It's not too big, but not to small. Plus it looks cool.

Tyler
I've been looking at that phone for when my contract is up in Jan and I like it. I've always had Motorolas and I think $149 without the Bluetooth. The thing about it is if I wait until my contract is up I get a $100 rebate.
Old 18 October 2005, 06:37 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller
Peter, I am so glad you raised this subject. I thought I was the only one who disliked these things.The day I put one of those in my ear is the day when I have finally lost the plot.I see grown men in Tescos doing the shopping with them in there ears, just in case the wife rings to remind him to get corn flakes and both hands are on the trolley !

I hate those things.

Well Craig they are great for use in the car,while driving,but like you say doing the shopping in your local Tesco.And walking around the streets with one stuck in your lug-ole,and like you have seen them all ages

Quote:
Ah, another Padi-rant - all is good with the world today!

Although I would fully agree that many (most?) out there are wearing these things just for show, in my view there is a real purpose to them, even when you are not driving a car.
Would 100% agree with you Al but not walking around the streets ,or doing the shopping.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 October 2005, 06:57 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Hi guys. I agree with the walking around in stores thing. Why can't you just pick up your phone and answer it? However, While driving a vehicle, I don't think they're a bad thing. They can prevent an accident if used properly. I plow snow and I can't wait until I can upgrade my phone so I can get one that is bluetooth enabled for the simple fact of the matter that when I use my hands free earpiece, the cord always gets in the way.
Yes MM 100% agree with you when driving a vehicle,like when you are
ploughing the roads they are perfect,and agree about the hands free wire can be a real pain.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 19 October 2005, 07:50 AM   #20
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Bluetooth? I'm still using one of those earpieces with the wire!

Yeah, I'll agree it does look pretty Walter Mitty if you're not actually using it, but I do like the earpieces when I take work calls at home because I'm usually jotting things down at the same time, and sometimes when I'm on the move as well (some people have a penchant for calling me and insisting on giving me information at the most inopportune times!).