The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2005, 05:38 AM   #1
Atomic

Cool music related site (that's new)

As some here know, I'm a big Rush fan. Their drummer, Neil Peart is just about the best percussionist in the world and also a fine writer with three books in print.

If you're a fan of drumming, good reading or motorcycling, you may be interested in his newly launched site:

http://www.neilpeart.net/

Or accessable via www.rush.com
Old 14 October 2005, 07:25 AM   #2
----

You knew when you posted this that you would one other person that's interested. Thanks big guy!!
Old 14 October 2005, 08:52 AM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Cool link Johnny. Thanks. I'm a Rush fan also. I've seen them live twice, the second time I was 6th row on the floor. The highlight for me was when during the middle of Limelight they busted into Working Man, played the whole thing, then went right back into Limelight without missing a beat. Not to mention their light show was fantastic.
Old 14 October 2005, 10:33 AM   #4
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I don't even like music and that is a cool site Johnny!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2005, 05:09 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Cool site Johnny fan of Rush,even we oldies can still rock.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2005, 10:43 PM   #6
Atomic

Mailman, only twice? Ya newbie. LOL Man, I've seen them um, lemme see... maybe a dozen times since about 1979 (permanent waves tour).

They did a 30th anniversary tour last year and I saw them at the Molson Amphi-theatre (on the shore of Lake Ontari-ari-ari-io) with the guy I used to play with in a Rush cover band many moons ago.

The show ROCKED! They played a LOT of old stuff that I'd never heard in concert and they also played a bunch of covers that they put out on a mini-CD last year. Very cool.

A good DVD to pick up is Rush In Rio. It's a double disk package and the concert footage is pretty raw, but the energy from the Brazillians is unbelieveable. Neil's solo is mind boggling and the Brazillians actually sing along to the song YYZ (which is instrumental, for those who aren't familiar). Also really amazing is the unplugged version of the song Resist, which I've seen in concert and is very moving.

The second disk is a documentary of the band's trip to South America. It's also a little raw, production-wise, but really good.

Rush will be releasing a new CD/DVD package next month called R30 in Frankfurt. Gonna start dropping hints to my wife for xmas.
Old 14 October 2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Cool site Johnny fan of Rush,even we oldies can still rock.
Peter, why does this fact not surprise me? LOL
Old 15 October 2005, 12:50 PM   #8
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Mailman, only twice? Ya newbie. LOL Man, I've seen them um, lemme see... maybe a dozen times since about 1979 (permanent waves tour).

They did a 30th anniversary tour last year and I saw them at the Molson Amphi-theatre (on the shore of Lake Ontari-ari-ari-io) with the guy I used to play with in a Rush cover band many moons ago.

The show ROCKED! They played a LOT of old stuff that I'd never heard in concert and they also played a bunch of covers that they put out on a mini-CD last year. Very cool.

A good DVD to pick up is Rush In Rio. It's a double disk package and the concert footage is pretty raw, but the energy from the Brazillians is unbelieveable. Neil's solo is mind boggling and the Brazillians actually sing along to the song YYZ (which is instrumental, for those who aren't familiar). Also really amazing is the unplugged version of the song Resist, which I've seen in concert and is very moving.

The second disk is a documentary of the band's trip to South America. It's also a little raw, production-wise, but really good.

Rush will be releasing a new CD/DVD package next month called R30 in Frankfurt. Gonna start dropping hints to my wife for xmas.
Johnny, I was 9yrs old in 1979, so that was a little early for me to go to a show. So, ya say you were in a Rush cover band were ya? Who were you? The mullet headed Geddy Lee? The skinny tie wearinrg Alex Lifeson? I can't wait to hear what the name of the band was. LOL

Last edited by mailman; 15 October 2005 at 12:50 PM..
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2005, 01:49 PM   #9
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Johnny, I was 9yrs old in 1979, so that was a little early for me to go to a show. So, ya say you were in a Rush cover band were ya? Who were you? The mullet headed Geddy Lee? The skinny tie wearinrg Alex Lifeson? I can't wait to hear what the name of the band was. LOL
LOL!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2005, 10:47 PM   #10
Atomic

Quote:

I was neither Alex nor Geddy. I played drums (and had the requisit moustachio too!). If anyone ever wants a good upper body workout, try drumming (or even air drumming) to Bytor and the Snowdog and get back to me. I stopped drumming over 20 years ago, although I did get into a new years eve jam session about 10 years ago. Last time I sat in front of a kit.

Band name... Natural Science.
Old 18 October 2005, 02:52 PM   #11
Gunther

JC,
We have had this discussion before! RUSH is the greatest all-around act ever. Yes, I said ever! Anyone who disagrees gets a punch in the chops! The punches then continue until you agree with me. (Loss of consciousness signals agreement as well)

Although Canada has given the world much to celebrate, RUSH is by far her finest contribution! I have grown up under the bruised and sullen stormclouds of their music ringing in my ears! They provided the soundtrack for Jr and Sr high school. I listened to them while deployed in two wars. I did the best thing one friend can do for another... I introduced many to their magic. I just hope and pray that the 30th Anniversary tour was not the end! I light candles and make sacrifices to the bobbleheads daily that they may come again!

RUSH. Oh, how I love thee. Let me count the ways.

Gun
Gunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2005, 10:08 PM   #12
Atomic

Hey Gunther I was wondering when you'd chime in.

I couldn't agree more on every point. Rush is the soundtrack to my life!
Old 19 October 2005, 09:39 AM   #13
mailman

Quote:
Hey Gunther I was wondering when you'd chime in.

I couldn't agree more on every point. Rush is the soundtrack to my life!
I bet you wish the title song was Time Stand Still
Old 19 October 2005, 10:29 PM   #14
Atomic

Quote:
I bet you wish the title song was Time Stand Still
Good one, but Red Barchetta is more appropriate for me.
Old 19 October 2005, 10:33 PM   #15
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Rush?? Never heard of them...............now Led Zeppelin, that's another story.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 10:48 AM   #16
mailman

Quote:
Good one, but Red Barchetta is more appropriate for me.
"My uncle has a country place that no one knows about. He said it used to be a farm..."
On a serious note, could you bang out YYZ on the skins?
Old 20 October 2005, 10:38 PM   #17
Atomic

Quote:
"My uncle has a country place that no one knows about. He said it used to be a farm..."
On a serious note, could you bang out YYZ on the skins?
YYZ is a tough one, but yeah it was on our playlist and one of my faves to play because it is so technically demanding.

Other songs we played were Fly By Night, Red Barchetta, The Trees, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, Natural Science (only in rehersal), Subdivisions, Digital Man, La Villa Strangiato (only in rehersal), Closer To the Heart, Big Money, Lakeside Park, Fly by Night.

Other songs we goofed around with were: Beneath, Between and Behind; Bytor and the Snowdog, Finding My Way, A Farewell to Kings, Xanadu and others. We also played some Van Halen, Max Webster, Cars, and even a Pat Benetar song.
Old 20 October 2005, 10:54 PM   #18
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther
JC,
We have had this discussion before! RUSH is the greatest all-around act ever. Yes, I said ever!
Gun
Oh yeah? How do they stack up against Tommy Dorsey or Glen Miller? RUSH couldn't hold a candle to those two bands.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 11:01 PM   #19
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Oh yeah? How do they stack up against Tommy Dorsey or Glen Miller? RUSH couldn't hold a candle to those two bands.

Glenn Miller? Tommy Dorsey? Maybe you should sell a Rolex and buy one of these, old man.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w200.jpg (10.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 20 October 2005, 11:08 PM   #20
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Glenn Miller? Tommy Dorsey? Maybe you should sell a Rolex and buy one of these, old man.
At least when they played you could actually dance to their music.

And when their crooners sang, you could understand the words they were singing.

I think the Beatles were the last group to sing intelligible lyrics.

But don't mind me. There is not much symphonic music written post 1900 that I really like, with the exception of Aaron Copeland and George Gershwin. I think John Cage was a musical fraud.

So call me a Luddite.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2005, 09:27 AM   #21
mailman

Quote:
YYZ is a tough one, but yeah it was on our playlist and one of my faves to play because it is so technically demanding.

Other songs we played were Fly By Night, Red Barchetta, The Trees, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, Natural Science (only in rehersal), Subdivisions, Digital Man, La Villa Strangiato (only in rehersal), Closer To the Heart, Big Money, Lakeside Park, Fly by Night.

Other songs we goofed around with were: Beneath, Between and Behind; Bytor and the Snowdog, Finding My Way, A Farewell to Kings, Xanadu and others. We also played some Van Halen, Max Webster, Cars, and even a Pat Benetar song.
Sounds awesome Johnny. Like you guys really has a good time. Great set list. I don't know how Geddy Lee could play bass with one hand, keyboards with another and sing at the same time. That's three beats at once. AMazing. It must've been tough enough to play the songs that you did.
Old 21 October 2005, 09:17 PM   #22
Atomic

Quote:
Sounds awesome Johnny. Like you guys really has a good time. Great set list. I don't know how Geddy Lee could play bass with one hand, keyboards with another and sing at the same time. That's three beats at once. AMazing. It must've been tough enough to play the songs that you did.
It was good fun. I didn't say we played them perfectly, but we tried.
Old 22 October 2005, 01:54 AM   #23
----

I am amazed we have so many Rush fans on this site. Cool!

As John knows, I grew up with them as well. As much as I like other bands, new and old, Rush is still #1 for me........