The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2021, 09:19 AM   #1
empty12
"TRF" Member

Trying to buy a GMT II "Batgirl" for husband

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and I'm just trying to purchase a GMT II "Batgirl" for my husband. I'm pregnant and he's been a serious champ with everything.

I've been to a few Rolex authorized dealers and have had no luck finding one for him. They all told me they can put me on the waiting list and go from there. Do I even have a remote chance on getting one or should I just buy a used one? Never knew how much used ones go for until I did a little research on the forums.
empty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 09:24 AM   #2
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
They usually take about a year or two on waitlist.

If you'd really like one soon your best bet is to buy from a well-known used watch vendor.

They're selling at about a 75% markup. If you find a reputable vendor and everything looks legitimate and you're ready to buy, don't be afraid to say you'll buy it right then and there at X price and make an offer. If you're a serious buyer you can probably get a small discount off the asking price; maybe $300 or so.

Hope it helps and congrats!
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 09:31 AM   #3
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Welcome and congrats! Honesty it’s probably going to be hard to find one in a reasonable amount of time without other significant purchases or without having a purchase history with an AD in this era.

If you are thinking of getting a Rolex yourself maybe you can piggy back your Rolex purchase (little harder to sell) with his hard to get model.

If this is going to be his only Rolex then the grey market might be your best option since you can get the watch instantly and you are not concerned about building any “relationship” with the AD.

Good luck!
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 09:34 AM   #4
dannyp
Banned

The moment you start thinking "it's time" go from AD to AD, hoping your water breaks in the showroom. They'll be so nervous about the liability associated with you unexpectedly delivering on their floor that they'll sell you anything in the safe just to get you out the door and on the way to the hospital :D.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 09:39 AM   #5
empty12
"TRF" Member

Our baby boy is due early next month!. So excited!!!

I'm not against going grey market since I wouldn't have to wait, but from what I've seen $17,xxx is the going price. I would definitely get a Rolex for myself also if it meant I could get him his. Ughhh.
Old 10 April 2021, 09:42 AM   #6
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Trying to bundle isn't a guarantee. If you want to try, just be up front with an AD and say you want the Batgirl for him and you're willing to spend X on something for yourself. Expect to be shown 31-34-36mm Datejusts in precious metal with gems in the $20,000 range.

Best thing to do is just be upfront with the AD's and not try to play games. AD's always win games and they take a lot of money from people on this forum so they can show pictures of a Submariner with a green bezel or dial.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 10:17 AM   #7
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Out of curiosity, does he like Rolex and wants the GMT Master II?
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 10:20 AM   #8
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Go back to the AD, spend $75k on jewelry and you will have one before the baby is born.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 10:21 AM   #9
joejet
"TRF" Member

Ladies Rolex's can be a lot cheaper on the grey/second hand market than MSRP depending on size, maybe getting a bundle on the grey market would be possible overpay for his and underpay for yours.
Could work good luck for the watch's but especially the birth.
joejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 10:41 AM   #10
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by empty12 View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and I'm just trying to purchase a GMT II "Batgirl" for my husband. I'm pregnant and he's been a serious champ with everything.

I've been to a few Rolex authorized dealers and have had no luck finding one for him. They all told me they can put me on the waiting list and go from there. Do I even have a remote chance on getting one or should I just buy a used one? Never knew how much used ones go for until I did a little research on the forums.
You are the one pregnant, and he’s the one whose been a serious champ and gets a gift? He’s a lucky guy!

The Rolex market is a tough one. If you don’t have a history of buying a lot of jewelry or other watches, I think any hope of getting one from an authorized dealer (AD) is the same as winning a lottery... sure, it “could” happen.

A lot of the resellers, or “gray market” who use this forum frequently all have great reputations. If price is not your main issue, I would look at DavidSW (you can Google his website). He has a great reputation, and normally has the newest and nicest. In fact right now he has an unworn brand new 126710BLNR for about 18K (no sales tax).

Many members here have been long time Rolex enthusiasts with well-established histories with ADs. They will claim it a sin to spent a cent over MSRP. However, the market price of a BLNR is 16-18K right now. MSRP is just not a price for everyone, it’s a price for a small few with access that they often earned with a long spending history.

Rolex makes timeless watches. The 12670BLNR will look amazing for many many years, and give your husband a lifetime of enjoyment. AND, Rolex uses a solid case back, perfect for engraving!

Good luck with this gift, but much more importantly good luck with your upcoming child!
PepsiBezel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 10:43 AM   #11
VivaLaRolex
"TRF" Member

I have been recently told that Batman GMT will be much easier to get than Pepsi, but yes a minimum 9-14 months wait is the norm...
VivaLaRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 11:59 AM   #12
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Check Dm.

moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 07:12 PM   #13
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
You have no chance, forget it or pay double elsewhere
Old 10 April 2021, 07:36 PM   #14
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello all,

Buy each other a Rolex as a reward when your baby is 16.

Personally, wouldn't need any extra milestone right now on top of a new baby.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2021, 07:43 PM   #15
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post

Yes, after 16 years you will be at the top of the imaginary list!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 12:48 AM   #16
Equity
"TRF" Member

Trying to buy a GMT II "Batgirl" for husband

My AD has made it clear they like marking milestones with their clients purchases. Maybe you can get lucky and find one that would like to be a part of that? Emphasizing the luck part..

Equity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 12:55 AM   #17
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I'm surprised you would get him another woman, the Batgirl.

In all seriousness your best bet is to go to an AD, put your name on the list for a BLNR on Jubilee, buy a Date Just that is in stock today to gift him. Then in a year or two when your BLNR comes in purchase at MSRP.

If you go to a reseller now for a BLNR, you'll end up paying the same money as you would for 2 watches from an AD. In this case you could potentially enjoy a DateJust and a BLNR both. Go grey you pay that price off the bat. I'd take two Rolex over one any day. A bit of risk that you won't get the BLNR any time soon, but I'm sure you will eventually. In the meanwhile, save money over the reseller price and enjoy your second Rolex.

Congrats!

PS I completely disagree with the pay secondary market 200% markup route. If you have that kind of money and you want to spend today, go PM such as Gold for a little more. You buy PM now, you'll be offered the SS you want eventually too. It's a fool's errand to pay $20k for a BLNR in SS. Enjoy a SS Date Just at $8k or drop $40k on a WG BLRO. Perhaps a Two Tone CHNR. But don't feed the "new normal" game.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 12:57 AM   #18
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Hello all,

Buy a 36 mm dj that you can both wear. He can wear it while the wait occurs. Then when he gets his blnr it is yours to wear.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 12:59 AM   #19
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Stop in a couple of ADs and explain your situation and that you would like to buy a watch for each of you to commemorate. Ideally you'll also want to look pregnant . Maybe you'll get lucky.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 01:21 AM   #20
Orangeface
"TRF" Member

Watch: No-Date Sub
Keep trying ADs in your current state. Let them know it's a birth year desire as a marker of time for you to acquire a Batgirl for your husband. Play to their sympathies and you may have some luck, though that's not to say you'll walk out with "your" watch that day. You could go grey market but, ouch, that's overly expensive.

Many Rolex fans have birth year watches. Most didn't have the luxury of acquiring until much later in life. However it works out, your husband's a lucky guy even without a Batgirl!
Orangeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 02:50 AM   #21
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
You may get extremely luck if you can get it bundled with another $50k or so purchases. Mind you, there are many more others who has spent much more & has been waiting much longer. The AD gets this every month or two, but it's an extremely long waiting list.

Personally, just buy 1 from the grey market.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 02:53 AM   #22
empty12
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

My husband's not really a flashy guy but I know he likes the batgirl because he did ask me what I thought about it. I might just have to walk into a AD and show off my big belly.
Old 11 April 2021, 03:07 AM   #23
prnceofpersia23
2024 Pledge Member

You can certainly try to tug at an ADs emotional heart strings and snag one. But, my take is to buy one at premium prices. This gift to your husband commemorates your journey together to welcome your child to the world. It's going to have sentimental value that's far greater than a market premium. You will not regret it!

Chances are, even at its current premium, that watch will be worth far more throughout the years, so don't even sweat it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 03:09 AM   #24
Francist
Banned

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the advice!

My husband's not really a flashy guy but I know he likes the batgirl because he did ask me what I thought about it. I might just have to walk into a AD and show off my big belly.
Really hope & pray you'll get one at retail.
Best of luck for the baby too.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 12:20 PM   #25
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
@empty12 did you ever end up getting a BLNR for your husband?
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 12:22 PM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations in advance on the baby
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 05:10 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hello all,

Congratulations of wanting to buy a Rolex 116710BLNR, I am sure your husband would not go around stating he was wearing a batgirl watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 05:14 PM   #28
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Congratulations of wanting to buy a Rolex 116710BLNR, I am sure your husband would not go around stating he was wearing a batgirl watch.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 05:31 PM   #29
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post

I don't think OP was asking for or needed financial advice. Everyone wants a decent deal and tips on how to navigate...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 05:34 PM   #30
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

The batgirl is a beautiful piece. Interesting that a female non WIS sweet and caring wife even calls this reference the batgirl.
.congrats in advance to you and your lucky hubby!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote