The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 25 February 2014, 06:19 AM   #1
Jagman13
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Rolex DSSD not keeping time?

Good day

This is my first post and glad to be here.

In 2009 I purchased a NEW Rolex in 2009 from Alan Furman in Rockville, MD. The transaction was pleasant etc.

I wore the watch maybe a dozen time, had on a watch winder and off and on in my safe in its box. I recall early on that it didn't keep accurate time or date and resettled it when I wore it even when it was on the watch winder.

I contacted the watch smith at Alan Furman and he told me that there was a specific way to wind and set the watch. It was confusing to me and said I would bring it into him. I never did though because of my schedule.

I the recently bought another watch from AF and brought my Deep Sea Dweller for him to look at. He wound the watch and Inthen put it on the Orbita WW and in two weeks all of a sudden in lost two or so hours?

AF said it may need some maintainence. Is this typical of a DSSD? Seems fragile to me or did I do something incorrect. I know it's out of the warranty period and don't have an issue with maintained, but GEEZ!! It's a Rolex.

It's a "V" series and can someone explain to me why that may or may not be good?

Thanks so much:

I
Jagman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 06:39 AM   #2
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Sounds like it needs to be simply regulated or (not likely) your winder is set incorrectly to keep it wound. The issue with the DSSD is that it should be pressure tested after opening the case. That's only done by RSC's in the U.S. It's so close to service, that I venture to say that RSC will not regulated your watch without also performing a full service. Good luck...

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 07:00 AM   #3
psv
"TRF" Member

Nothing to worry about, it needs to be regulated, it might have been de-magnitized etc. It obviously need to be regulated, but the DSSD requires special tools to open/close and toe pressure test as well. Since you are in NYC, just swing by Rolex Service Center (RSC) and asked to take a look at it.

Sh-t hapens, like nice cars, nice watches require some looking after and every now and then something unexpected like this happens. DSSD has been the most bullet-proof watch I've ever owned, also the most accurate, smooth to operate etc.

Best of luck,

p.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 07:10 AM   #4
Jagman13
"TRF" Member

Gentlemen Thanks!

So what does Regulated mean? And how often does it require service? Any idea what to expect regarding servicing fees?

Your responses have helped immensely and I am not freaking out thinking that I bought a lemon.

Thank you
Jagman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 07:14 AM   #5
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Regulated as in the time keeping ability is accurately set. I service mine every 5-7 years. You will get an estimate when you take it to NYC RSC (Rolex Service Center). By the way, welcome to the Rolex Forums!

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 07:19 AM   #6
psv
"TRF" Member

Mechanical watches do best when used on a regular basis, it keeps the gears and wheels lubed and prevents the oils from drying up.

The Deepsea is is ridicolously robust, and it uses the latest Parachrom hairspring, which resist anti-magnetic interference very well, but there is always a chance that your watch has been too close of some magnetic field of some sort and therefor run a bit heywire. Sudden large deviations in accuracy in a watch is often the results of such an event.

It is actually quite easy to regulate and fix, but the problem is that the DSSD requires special tools and far from most ADs, even if they have a Rolex certified and trained technician on staff, are licensed/trained to work on the DSSD. If they are not, it means they don't get the right tools etc.

Call RSC in NYC at (212) 758-7700, ask to speak to service and tell them that you think your Deepsea has been de-magnitized, ask them approximately how much it would cost and how long it would take.

Best of luck,

Patrick
psv is offline   Reply With Quote