The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 November 2014, 10:52 AM   #151
michel33
"TRF" Member
 
michel33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: france
Posts: 796
Every one of us perfectly knows Steve Mc Queen never wore this watch...
It was a complete fabrication by dealers who wanted this watch to be the counterpart, the mirror image of the PN Daytona so this very underrated model that was selling poorly, unlike vintage subs, (at that time ) would raise in value.

So, yes, this was a misrepresentation of the product initially.
I much prefer the "Freccione" nickname (contraction of arrow and orange in italian), which is neutral.

I remember a few years back, I step into a well established professional vintage Rolex dealer shop in Paris. i ask to take a look a the "freccione" and the sales guy tells me :"Oh, the Steve Mc Queen Explorer, very rare watch, it was one of its favorite watch, hence the name".

I told him this was an urban legend and he answered, with a huge smile on his face: "Do you wanna bet?"

I answered by putting my 1675 on the table while telling him that if he could find a single picture of Steve Mc Queen wearing this watch, my Gmt would be his. Otherwise, I would walk away with the 1655....

No need to say that from this point, it was not a question to bet anymore...

So, yes, some people took advantage of newbies customers with this nickname, as it was intended from the beginning, unlike the PN Dayto, so i'm kind of feeling uncomfortable with it.
michel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2014, 11:10 AM   #152
CrownMe
"TRF" Member
 
CrownMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Real Name: Kevin
Location: Maryland
Watch: My Open 6
Posts: 3,433
cmon man i thought we moved past this topic lol
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2014, 11:23 AM   #153
michel33
"TRF" Member
 
michel33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: france
Posts: 796
Well, this subject has been brought back on the table a few times, and I'm not sure that every new TRF Vintage Rolex Forum reader is aware of this nickname's background, and I think it's some good info to remind and share from time to time with newbies, without any tension or friction.

This is what this Forum is all about imho.
michel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2014, 12:35 PM   #154
omitohud
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Sam
Location: los Angeles
Posts: 2,050
Rolex 1655 " the Steve McQueen" Orange Hand Explorer II

U guys should see the discussion on the general section about "batman" nickname. Over 100 posts in one day. At least steve was a real person. He he he.

As the joker like to say, Why so serious?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2014, 02:51 PM   #155
fmc000
"TRF" Member
 
fmc000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Real Name: Fabio
Location: Como - Italy
Posts: 3,426
LOL Freccione in Italian is not a contraction, is a real word and it means "Big Arrow". Noting related to the orange color.
__________________
The moment you idiot-proof something,
the world gives you a better idiot.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 01:15 AM   #156
michel33
"TRF" Member
 
michel33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: france
Posts: 796
Yes, this would be logical: Freccia (arrow)+ "one" suffix=Big Arrow.

But some say in the Rolex World, that this nickname has actually to be understood, with regard to this special watch, as a mixed word/contraction invented by italian dealers mixing Freccia (arrow) and "Arrancione" (orange).
I see you're italian, does that make sense to you?
michel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 12:51 PM   #157
Scot_3
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Real Name: Scot
Location: USA
Watch: 1966 boyscout
Posts: 912
I can't believe that so much hostility exists so close to images a of Mr. Flintstone.
Could we all take a step back and show Mr. Flintstone some courtesy.
After this post it won't surprise me in the least if someone suggests that George Jetson was not the proud owner of a Patek 5131




This was supposed to make you laugh do not take it seriously
Scot_3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 12:59 PM   #158
QueueCumber
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
QueueCumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Real Name: Q
Location: The Q Continuum
Watch: ST:TNG
Posts: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot_3 View Post
I can't believe that so much hostility exists so close to images a of Mr. Flintstone.
Could we all take a step back and show Mr. Flintstone some courtesy.
After this post it won't surprise me in the least if someone suggests that George Jetson was not the proud owner of a Patek 5131




This was supposed to make you laugh do not take it seriously
So what you are saying is that the 5131 is now known as the George Jetson Patek?
__________________
Instagram: _queuecumber_
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2014, 01:52 PM   #159
Scot_3
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Real Name: Scot
Location: USA
Watch: 1966 boyscout
Posts: 912
who knows how and why spacey sprockets and the future of watch making became aligned
Scot_3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2014, 08:54 AM   #160
kultschar
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
kultschar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: End of the World
Watch: PP & Rolex
Posts: 1,848
I think every man and his dog knows McQueen never wore one but the nickname has stuck over the years.

Big Whoop!!!

Now lets see more pics instead
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2014, 09:02 AM   #161
subtona
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
subtona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Real Name: gus
Location: East Coast
Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Posts: 22,145
Been wearing my Brad Pitt 5711 and really enjoying it.

that explorer is a beauty.
subtona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2014, 12:42 PM   #162
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member
 
MitchSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Real Name: MDangerSteel
Location: Canada
Watch: Vintage Rolex
Posts: 2,307
Guys, please.....more pics of the Explorers.....less, BS puuuhlease
__________________
Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2014, 04:19 PM   #163
QueueCumber
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
QueueCumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Real Name: Q
Location: The Q Continuum
Watch: ST:TNG
Posts: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
I think every man and his dog knows McQueen never wore one but the nickname has stuck over the years.

Big Whoop!!!

Now lets see more pics instead
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSteel View Post
Guys, please.....more pics of the Explorers.....less, BS puuuhlease


__________________
Instagram: _queuecumber_
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 01:39 AM   #164
landroverking
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Real Name: Jay
Location: TEXAS
Watch: Daytona
Posts: 7,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
I think every man and his dog knows McQueen never wore one but the nickname has stuck over the years.

Big Whoop!!!

Now lets see more pics instead
My dog died. And I don't have a dog in this fight, but we WIS have come up with all kinds of nic names for our beloved Rolexes. Some sure a lot nuttery than
"Steve McQueen".
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 08:57 AM   #165
charles22
"TRF" Member
 
charles22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 88
Who cares what Steve McQueen wore.

Very amusing thread though.
charles22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 11:02 AM   #166
Micha
2019 Pledge Member
 
Micha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Real Name: Michael
Location: S.Florida/Ontario
Watch: 6263, 1675
Posts: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel33 View Post
Every one of us perfectly knows Steve Mc Queen never wore this watch...
It was a complete fabrication by dealers who wanted this watch to be the counterpart, the mirror image of the PN Daytona so this very underrated model that was selling poorly, unlike vintage subs, (at that time ) would raise in value.

So, yes, this was a misrepresentation of the product initially.
I much prefer the "Freccione" nickname (contraction of arrow and orange in italian), which is neutral.

I remember a few years back, I step into a well established professional vintage Rolex dealer shop in Paris. i ask to take a look a the "freccione" and the sales guy tells me :"Oh, the Steve Mc Queen Explorer, very rare watch, it was one of its favorite watch, hence the name".

I told him this was an urban legend and he answered, with a huge smile on his face: "Do you wanna bet?"

I answered by putting my 1675 on the table while telling him that if he could find a single picture of Steve Mc Queen wearing this watch, my Gmt would be his. Otherwise, I would walk away with the 1655....

No need to say that from this point, it was not a question to bet anymore...

So, yes, some people took advantage of newbies customers with this nickname, as it was intended from the beginning, unlike the PN Dayto, so i'm kind of feeling uncomfortable with it.
well said
__________________
life is good
Micha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 11:03 AM   #167
CrownMe
"TRF" Member
 
CrownMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Real Name: Kevin
Location: Maryland
Watch: My Open 6
Posts: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post





this sums it up nicely
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2014, 11:55 AM   #168
QueueCumber
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
QueueCumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Real Name: Q
Location: The Q Continuum
Watch: ST:TNG
Posts: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
this sums it up nicely
__________________
Instagram: _queuecumber_
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2015, 01:14 PM   #169
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member
 
JimSnyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Real Name: Jim Snyder
Location: Ohio
Watch: Blue Tudor Sub
Posts: 7,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Epic thread. Total train wreck. I just had to post to be a part of it.
I'm in
__________________
It's not the time in your life, it's the life in your time.

Bruce Springsteen
JimSnyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2015, 01:36 PM   #170
QueueCumber
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
QueueCumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Real Name: Q
Location: The Q Continuum
Watch: ST:TNG
Posts: 8,429
I present to you all, the new Steve McQueen Explorer!!!






__________________
Instagram: _queuecumber_
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2015, 01:53 PM   #171
goog53
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Mike G
Location: Ohio
Watch: Patek-Rolex
Posts: 2,850
My Daily Wearer for the last two years. Absolutely love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (136.3 KB, 115 views)
goog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2015, 02:36 PM   #172
omitohud
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Sam
Location: los Angeles
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
I present to you all, the new Steve McQueen Explorer!!!






EH, does it come with B&P?
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2015, 02:59 PM   #173
turpe
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Watch: JLC MasterCalendar
Posts: 80
License plate holder looks aftermarket, IMHO.
turpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2015, 04:48 AM   #174
QueueCumber
2019 HARRODS BB Pledge Member
 
QueueCumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Real Name: Q
Location: The Q Continuum
Watch: ST:TNG
Posts: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
EH, does it come with B&P?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpe View Post
License plate holder looks aftermarket, IMHO.
It's an early service license plate holder. Very rare....
__________________
Instagram: _queuecumber_
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2015, 08:48 AM   #175
zacharyjames
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Regency
Posts: 65
It is a very early model, it has the straight hand rear wiper...
zacharyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Banners Of The Month

Banners Of The Month


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.