The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 August 2009, 01:18 AM   #91
jasper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 / speedy pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
And I don't think I am being paranoid at all. I am being careful. The internet is a hostile place. If you look on the Watchout section of this forum you will see hijacked pictures all over the place.
I can see your point, but any sensible buyer would ask for confirmatory photos of a watch of your calibre before making a purchase.

That said, my first thought also was to pose the watch with, or on, a slip of paper that says "not for sale" or something like that. I'm thinking like a fortune cookie sized chit draped over the bracelet. If you do it on a background then someone can photoshop that out.

I agree don't put your picture on it, I don't want to be scared anymore than you want to scare us
Seiko 6309 The perfect watch for a trip to Mexico.
jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2009, 01:38 AM   #92
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
I'll just use a permanant marker and write it on the crystal. NOT FOR SALE.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2009, 02:57 AM   #93
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
This forum contains zillions of pics already if the scammers want to snatch them.

Well...get on with it already and post the pic´s will ya

I wanna see that watch of yours.....been waiting for a long time now

Otherwise I´m falling azzzzzzzzzzleep
Old 27 August 2009, 04:44 AM   #94
DadsWatch72
Banned

I don't have it yet. Geez. I think some of you are MORE eagar to see it than me. I haven't seen any like mine on here. A few are close but nothing in the same year. I have read that this watch was only produced between 71'-73'. Mines a 72'. I really don't know about all the difference and so forth. And yes there are a lot of pics on here but not many models are copied/forged/faked more often than my model. I guess thats one reason why so many are interested in seeing it. The difference between mine and many photos of this model is.......mine's the real deal, the genuine article, actual, authentic, bona fide, honest, legitimate, natural, on the level, original, pure, real, sound, sterling, the real McCoy, true, unadulterated, unalloyed, veritable.
Old 27 August 2009, 06:25 AM   #95
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davvan View Post
This forum contains zillions of pics already if the scammers want to snatch them.

Well...get on with it already and post the pic´s will ya

I wanna see that watch of yours.....been waiting for a long time now

Otherwise I´m falling azzzzzzzzzzleep
Finally someone said it.
Beaumont Miller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2009, 07:28 AM   #96
Omega_Precision
Banned

Watch: ing basketball
Very nice watch and it has sentimental value as well.
Omega_Precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2009, 12:07 PM   #97
DadsWatch72
Banned

Everyone TOLD me to take my time.
Old 27 August 2009, 12:43 PM   #98
theloxmyth
Banned

Quote:
Everyone TOLD me to take my time.
Take your time, but hurry up!

Been following this since you first posted.

I'm here for pics, too!
theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2009, 04:07 PM   #99
DadsWatch72
Banned

Hopefully nobody will be disappointed with the pictures. I will do my best to make sure they are top noch.
Old 27 August 2009, 10:28 PM   #100
Lowflight
Banned

Quote:
If I post high quality pictures they might be hijacked by someone online and then used to scam people into buying a bogus watch. I have seen this happen with other pictures online. I would hate to think that a picture of my watch was used to scam anyone. Any thoughts?

My thoughts....your paranoia is something to behold

Post the pics for chissakes
Lowflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2009, 11:34 PM   #101
DadsWatch72
Banned

I forgot to tell you a part of this saga. I couldn't tell you about this when it happened or it would have tipped you off to where I sent the watch but now its ok to explain. When I first started the process of having the watch serviced, I took the watch to my local AD. They said that RUSA would NOT do the service. I left Images Jewelers in Elkhart Indiana with my head hung low. I went home and made some calls to New York. There I spoke with the service department and they told me the same thing. I asked to talk with a supervisor and was connected with Joanne Russo. She informed me that there are many reasons that could prevent my watch from being service due to its age. I informed her that I trusted RUSA completely and informed them that my watch was in good condition and that I believed it would meet their criteria. She agreed to allow me to send it in for evaluation. Initally she wanted me to send the watch to NYC RSC myself but I informed her that I didn't feel comfortable with this and would rather the AD send it to them. I then went back to Elkhart AD and informed them that RUSA agreed to look at the watch and asked them if they could now send it to them. The manager didn't believe me. I told him who I spoke with and he actually called to speak with her. Upon his return, he informed me that he would NOT send the watch to them even though they agreed to accept the watch. I asked for a reason and his answer was, and I quote, "There isn't anything in it for me". He went on to say that the risk was too high and there was nothing in it for him. He also said that he liked to "oversee" the service completely and that since I had arranged this with NYC that he wasn't comfortable with helping any longer. I then informed him that I would have loved if he had called NYC and been more persistant for me and that he had the chance to "oversee" the service the FIRST time I was there. At this point he stops and looks at the two other men (younger men) working the showcase and says "Do you think I am doing the right thing here?" I am totally amazed he would ask them this in front of a customer. As if they were going to say anything but "Oh yes um boss". Of course they agreed with their manager. I was in shock and just stood there for a second to think. I then told the manager that I understood he had made up his mind not to help and then left. Thats when I called Joanne back and explained the situation. She informed me that he had the right not to help and it was his decision. I couldn't believe this. They are an authorized Rolex dealer and I expect the service, especially if RUSA agreed to recieve the watch. I would think they are bound by contract to certain service standards. Anyway, you know the rest of the story. RUSA sent me instructions and package material and I shipped the watch Registered mail. While the watch was gone, I made a trip to the next closest AD in Vaparaiso Indiana. The visit was like night and day compared with the visit in Elkhart. The owner of the store/AD personally helped me and was amazed when I told him of the Elkhart store. My entire visit in his store was top noch. I will definately be going back there to Valparaiso AD for any future service issues and/or purchases. I will never go back to Image Jewelers AD in Elkhart Indiana again.
Old 27 August 2009, 11:35 PM   #102
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloxmyth View Post
Take your time, but hurry up!

Been following this since you first posted.

I'm here for pics, too!
I second this!! X2 indeed.

Hey DW72, didn't ya know that the Pony Express isn't the fastest anymore???

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2009, 11:44 PM   #103
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I forgot to tell you a part of this saga. I couldn't tell you about this when it happened or it would have tipped you off to where I sent the watch but now its ok to explain. When I first started the process of having the watch serviced, I took the watch to my local AD. They said that RUSA would NOT do the service. I left Images Jewelers in Elkhart Indiana with my head hung low. I went home and made some calls to New York. There I spoke with the service department and they told me the same thing. I asked to talk with a supervisor and was connected with Joanne Russo. She informed me that there are many reasons that could prevent my watch from being service due to its age. I informed her that I trusted RUSA completely and informed them that my watch was in good condition and that I believed it would meet their criteria. She agreed to allow me to send it in for evaluation. Initally she wanted me to send the watch to NYC RSC myself but I informed her that I didn't feel comfortable with this and would rather the AD send it to them. I then went back to Elkhart AD and informed them that RUSA agreed to look at the watch and asked them if they could now send it to them. The manager didn't believe me. I told him who I spoke with and he actually called to speak with her. Upon his return, he informed me that he would NOT send the watch to them even though they agreed to accept the watch. I asked for a reason and his answer was, and I quote, "There isn't anything in it for me". He went on to say that the risk was too high and there was nothing in it for him. He also said that he liked to "oversee" the service completely and that since I had arranged this with NYC that he wasn't comfortable with helping any longer. I then informed him that I would have loved if he had called NYC and been more persistant for me and that he had the chance to "oversee" the service the FIRST time I was there. At this point he stops and looks at the two other men (younger men) working the showcase and says "Do you think I am doing the right thing here?" I am in totally amazed he would ask them this in front of a customer. As if they were going to say anything but "Oh yes um boss". Of course they agreed with their manager. I was in shock and just stood there for a second to think. I then told the manager that I understood he had made up his mind not to help and then left. Thats when I called Joanne back and explained the situation. She informed me that he had the right not to help and it was his decision. I couldn't believe this. They are an authorized Rolex dealer and I expect the service, especially if RUSA agreed to recieve the watch. I would think they are bound by contract to certain service standards. Anyway, you know the rest of the story. RUSA sent me instructions and package material and I shipped the watch Registered mail. While the watch was gone, I made a trip to the next closest AD in Vaparaiso Indiana. The visit was like night and day compared with the visit in Elkhart. The owner of the store/AD personally helped me and was amazed when I told him of the Elkhart store. My entire visit in his store was top noch. I will definately be going back there to Valparaiso AD for any future service issues and/or purchases. I will never go back to Image Jewelers AD in Elkhart Indiana again.
I agree the AD had no obligation to send the watch in, but his attitude and people skills seem to be lacking. I wouldn't go back either.

Questions DW,

Why was it so important for you to have it go to RUSA versus one of the respected restorers like Bob Ridley? Not judging, just curious.

Will we have to wait on you to get the pictures developed at Walgreens>???

P

PClub # 10
Old 28 August 2009, 12:07 AM   #104
DadsWatch72
Banned

Your question......"Why was it so important for you to have it go to RUSA versus one of the respected restorers like Bob Ridley? Not judging, just curious."

Bobs work is amazing. I see his pictures and wouldn't hesitate to send him my DRSD. If you remember or want to look back in my posts, I did say that I wanted to exhaust all official channels first. Its a personal preference to have it serviced in an official RSC. I take my car to the dealership to have it serviced also. Some do, some don't. A lot of good mechanics at lower prices at other shops but I prefer someone that works on my Make/Model often. I also know that if I need a part, the dealership is going to have all of those "dealer only" parts right there at their disposal. I was missing a bezel and many jewelers told me that was the part they may have trouble obtaining. This wasn't a problem for RSC. If I wasn't able to have Rolex service me then I would have sent it to those mentioned on this forum.
Old 28 August 2009, 12:14 AM   #105
DadsWatch72
Banned

I also thought it may help increase the value of the watch if I could have it serviced by RSC. Not sure if all would agree on that one.
Old 28 August 2009, 12:22 AM   #106
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your question......"Why was it so important for you to have it go to RUSA versus one of the respected restorers like Bob Ridley? Not judging, just curious."

Bobs work is amazing. I see his pictures and wouldn't hesitate to send him my DRSD. If you remember or want to look back in my posts, I did say that I wanted to exhaust all official channels first. Its a personal preference to have it serviced in an official RSC. I take my car to the dealership to have it serviced also. Some do, some don't. A lot of good mechanics at lower prices at other shops but I prefer someone that works on my Make/Model often. I also know that if I need a part, the dealership is going to have all of those "dealer only" parts right there at their disposal. I was missing a bezel and many jewelers told me that was the part they may have trouble obtaining. This wasn't a problem for RSC. If I wasn't able to have Rolex service me then I would have sent it to those mentioned on this forum.
Perfectly reasonable and logical to me.

As for my Jokes............nuthin?? (was just busting your stones)

Crickets chirping?????

cricket........cricket......cricket........

PClub # 10
Old 28 August 2009, 12:30 AM   #107
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Upon his return, he informed me that he would NOT send the watch to them even though they agreed to accept the watch. I asked for a reason and his answer was, and I quote, "There isn't anything in it for me". He went on to say that the risk was too high and there was nothing in it for him. He also said that he liked to "oversee" the service completely and that since I had arranged this with NYC that he wasn't comfortable with helping any longer.
I am happy there is a happy ending for you.You did the right thing and were persistent and got RSCNY to service your watch. Did you have a long relationship with this AD? If not I agree 100% with your AD's reason for not sending it to RSCNY.He gave you a very valid reason the risk is very high for him and he probably stands to make nothing.Worst a big headache.Some customers can be a big headache and he made a call on you.He probably sensed you were very passionate of that watch and didnt want to take the risk of something going wrong that isnt in his control.He sounds like he has experienced this and been down this road before.You did the right thing and went straight to the source.Now lets see the watch!

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2009, 12:30 AM   #108
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
Perfectly reasonable and logical to me.

As for my Jokes............nuthin?? (was just busting your stones)

Crickets chirping?????

cricket........cricket......cricket........
Not Walgreens. I'm thinking of taking the watch to Glamour Shots though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gs_purple.jpg (19.2 KB, 524 views)
Old 28 August 2009, 12:37 AM   #109
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
I am happy there is a happy ending for you.You did the right thing and were persistent and got RSCNY to service your watch. Did you have a long relationship with this AD? If not I agree 100% with your AD's reason for not sending it to RSCNY.He gave you a very valid reason the risk is very high for him and he probably stands to make nothing.Worst a big headache.Some customers can be a big headache and he made a call on you.He probably sensed you were very passionate of that watch and didnt want to take the risk of something going wrong that isnt in his control.He sounds like he has experienced this and been down this road before.You did the right thing and went straight to the source.Now lets see the watch!
My thoughts are as follows. I am standing in a fine jewelery store with loads of rings, necklaces, and other very expensive items. Although my watch is expensive, its no more expensive than some of those hugh diamonds in those cases or a shipment of multiple items he sends/receives all the time. He is an authorized dealer and "should" be required to provide service to Rolex customers or he shouldn't be licensed and allowed to advertise as an AD. Thats how I feel. And once the watch is in his hands, he can make sure nothing goes wrong. He is insured and it would be covered if anything went wrong.
Old 28 August 2009, 12:49 AM   #110
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
He is an authorized dealer and "should" be required to provide service to Rolex customers
I agree 100%
He made a business decision I am sure on this occasion. He called RSCNY and they told him they wouldnt service it.His obligation is over there he was told its not servicable by them. You called RSCNY and they told you the same.Then you went further and spoke with a supervisor and got them to do it. I congratulate you on this move.Now lets stop the whining and see the watch

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2009, 12:59 AM   #111
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
I agree 100%
He made a business decision I am sure on this occasion. He called RSCNY and they told him they wouldnt service it.His obligation is over there he was told its not servicable by them. You called RSCNY and they told you the same.Then you went further and spoke with a supervisor and got them to do it. I congratulate you on this move.Now lets stop the whining and see the watch
Umm, lets see. Its not on my desk yet.......or in the mailbox. Where in the heck is it? Oh yeah.....ITS NOT HERE YET!!!!!!!
Old 28 August 2009, 01:04 AM   #112
DadsWatch72
Banned

BTW, that AD in Valparaiso went into the back and showed me a very nice RED sub that he bought back from a customer. The sub came from a customer wanting to trade for something else. The owner asked him where he bought it and he said "you sold it to me, don't you remember?" He said he gave him a good price for it. Yes, I did say RED sub. It looked mint to me.
Old 28 August 2009, 08:07 AM   #113
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Old 28 August 2009, 05:29 PM   #114
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
I know I´m being an ....but we need pics now 4 the love of god

I´m harassing you until we do

Have a great week end

David
Old 28 August 2009, 07:59 PM   #115
DadsWatch72
Banned

Registered mail takes forever and I don't have a tracking number this time. I did when I sent it but not coming back.
Old 28 August 2009, 08:28 PM   #116
mickyvee

Watch: SS Sub 16610
This saga is biblical in it's epicness!!!!!!!
mickyvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 12:48 AM   #117
CGC_Consultant

Watch: 1675 GMT
Someone told me that Elvis has it.
CGC_Consultant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 01:06 AM   #118
DadsWatch72
Banned

Elvis. I have a question. I am getting a new 93150 bracelet with the 580 end links. I have read that some have hollow end links and some have solid. What do you think that mine will have and should I have requested a specific end link?

Elvis died while we were in the Dubai U.A.E. back in 77'. This is when my father received the watch.
Old 29 August 2009, 01:10 AM   #119
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyvee View Post
This saga is biblical in it's epicness!!!!!!!
Speaking of biblical. I hope we get to see some pics before we get to the last chapter of the New Testament.
Beaumont Miller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 01:11 AM   #120
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont Miller II View Post
I hope we get to see some pics before we get to the last chapter of the New Testament.
I actually laughed out loud on that one.