The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2007, 10:46 PM   #1
Lol-x
Facilitator

Omega GMT Seamaster any thoughts?

Hi
I don't know much about this watch, so I just wondered if there were any opinion that might help me give it some consideration.
Thanks in advance.

Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2007, 11:27 PM   #2
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Good web links

Try this link for a review of the Seamaster GMT

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/se.../whitegmt.html

This one is a review of an Explorer, but there's a link to a review of the Explorer II, and in it is a link to a great comparison between the Explorer and the Seamaster GMT. (My server at work for some reason blocks the link to the comparison review.)

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/myfirstrolex.html

Or if the copy/paste of the link works, try this:

http://home.woh.rr.com/johnholbrook/whitegmt.html

Good luck!! I like the white GMT, but I'm holding out for the Exp-II with white face.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 12:39 AM   #3
haakon59
"TRF" Member

That is the soon to be phased out version of the Seamaster GMT. Although it doesn't have the co-axial escapement, I think every review I have ever read of that model is glowing in it's praise.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 01:21 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Ah yes.. The Omega SMP GMT, 2234.50.00...water proof to 300m.

While I'm not crazy about the Omega two tone bezel, I love the Seamaster GMT.. and the fact it does not have the worthless HE valve on the side.

This was the year I was going to get the White SMP GMT, but they discontinued it, so I am giving this one serious consideration.

Now I hear the will discontinue this model and only have the open hand Bond models in a GMT.

I just do not like the open hand version Omegas..

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 03:38 AM   #5
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Ah yes.. The Omega SMP GMT, 2234.50.00...water proof to 300m.

While I'm not crazy about the Omega two tone bezel, I love the Seamaster GMT.. and the fact it does not have the worthless HE valve on the side.

This was the year I was going to get the White SMP GMT, but they discontinued it, so I am giving this one serious consideration.

Now I hear the will discontinue this model and only have the open hand Bond models in a GMT.

I just do not like the open hand version Omegas..

An AD in Sunrise Florida has a white one in stock, and they ship out of state. No idea on discounts, but I can PM u the info.
I almost pulled out the trigger myself. Love the white GMT.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 04:16 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRdude View Post
An AD in Sunrise Florida has a white one in stock, and they ship out of state. No idea on discounts, but I can PM u the info.
I almost pulled out the trigger myself. Love the white GMT.

If they're reputable, I'll take the information..

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 04:21 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Hi
I don't know much about this watch, so I just wondered if there were any opinion that might help me give it some consideration.
Thanks in advance.

Excellent watch, Steve....available in white dial also.

If it's being phased out and you can get one "cheap", just grab it. It has a case diameter of 42 mm and sits nice and flat on the wrist. I like it more so because it does NOT have the extra Helium valve crown at 10 o'clock.

It also has a highly modified 23-jewel ETA 2892-A2 movement, very dependable and reliable with top-notch accuracy.

Screw-down crown and waterproof to 300 m, you just can't go wrong with this beauty!!

Grab it, I say!!

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Lol-x
Facilitator

Wow, thanks guys so much

I love the black dial, but that's just me. The white dial does get a lot of praise from what I have seen. 41-42mm is great too.

Larry I'm right with you on the 'open hands', gotta love the sword hands, and from what I've heard the luminosity of the dial and hands is second to none (well it is excellent anyway).

I've seen one for US$1,105 in 98% condition. It seems like it comes with 3 credit card type warranties, in a white leather wallet, so does anyone have the scoop on what the 3 credit cards are exactly?

From the photographs I've seen the instruction manual looks like a hard back telephone book, its huge.
Old 25 October 2007, 11:01 AM   #9
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Excellent watch and much better in many ways than Rolex GMT II, and at only about 30% of the cost!!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Lol-x
Facilitator

I forgot to mention from what I've heard it has anti-reflection on the inside of the crystal, so does that make a difference in the clarity of the dial?
Old 25 October 2007, 11:14 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Wow, thanks guys so much

I love the black dial, but that's just me. The white dial does get a lot of praise from what I have seen. 41-42mm is great too.

Larry I'm right with you on the 'open hands', gotta love the sword hands, and from what I've heard the luminosity of the dial and hands is second to none (well it is excellent anyway).

I've seen one for US$1,105 in 98% condition. It seems like it comes with 3 credit card type warranties, in a white leather wallet, so does anyone have the scoop on what the 3 credit cards are exactly?

From the photographs I've seen the instruction manual looks like a hard back telephone book, its huge.
One CC is the warranty card, one's the chronometer card and one's the customer card (I think).

That price is fantastic - just go for it, Steve....you won't be disappointed, I assure you!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 25 October 2007, 11:23 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I forgot to mention from what I've heard it has anti-reflection on the inside of the crystal, so does that make a difference in the clarity of the dial?
That's right, Steve....AR coating only on the inside which does make for crystal clear clarity!!

That large Operation Manual contains 10 different languages making it appear so big. Quite practical and very informative.

JJ

Old 25 October 2007, 12:52 PM   #13
Paulie
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII and OP!
Packaging should be similar to this:

Old 25 October 2007, 01:20 PM   #14
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks JJ & Paulie.
Interesting that first credit card "Pictograms" wonder what that means?
Great looking package Paulie
Old 25 October 2007, 02:08 PM   #15
leopardprey
Banned

The AR coating on the inside of the crystal is ideal. Had a Seamaster Professional for 3 years. No reflection or glint off the crystal. Hardly could see the smudges or fingerprints like you do on Rolex. Not constantly wiping crystal off like on my Rolex.

Dial very easy to see with AR coating on inside. Very clear even in brignt sunlight or bright room lights.

Bracelet and Clasp is super. Again, as I hate to admit it, IMHO Omega makes just as good and in many ways better watch than Rolex. What you pay for extra in the Rolex watch, is for the looks, the Name, and the status symbol.
Old 25 October 2007, 04:22 PM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thanks JJ & Paulie.
Interesting that first credit card "Pictograms" wonder what that means?
Great looking package Paulie
The Pictogram card denotes the model and calibre no. of the watch. Below these numbers, you can see the actual pictograms which tell you in a nutshell the features of the watch....like an "S" which denotes sapphire crystal, then a semi-circular rotor which denotes that the watch is an automatic, then a crown with a circular arrow which tells you it has a screwdown crown.....and so on.

JJ

Old 25 October 2007, 05:15 PM   #17
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks JJ, seems like Omega has a whole new language that I might have to learn
Old 25 October 2007, 05:59 PM   #18
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
We may need to stage an intervention.

CHAD IS TURNING AWAY FROM ROLEX!!

It's been coming on slowly and steadily since about June. Hopefully it's not too late!
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 06:45 PM   #19
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It seems like it comes with 3 credit card type warranties, in a white leather wallet, so does anyone have the scoop on what the 3 credit cards are exactly?
One is called a "Pictogram", and it shows all the features of your watch by the use of icons. WR, COSC, Warranty Length, etc.
The second one is your warranty card which is stamped by the dealer.
The third one is your COSC information and chronometer certification number.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 07:17 PM   #20
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks Chip
I might have spoken to soon, the word is the watch is on hold
Anyway, I will see, man I hope the guy drops the deal, but it is a very cheap price so maybe I was too slow.
Oh well, I can maybe pursue other avenues, but this was definitely a sweet price, even high prices of this Omega model are really great comparatively speaking.
Old 25 October 2007, 08:35 PM   #21
leopardprey
Banned

CPTL, if Rolex lowers their prices, starts using AR coating on the inside of their crystals, switches to 316L Stainless Steel, and starts using Ceramic Ball Bearings for their rotars, then will be glad to stay with Rolex!!
Old 25 October 2007, 10:50 PM   #22
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
If I ever get a white-dialed sport watch, it will very likely be the Omega GMT. It just sits so nicely on the wrist. The AR coating and slightly domed crystal are sweet.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2007, 09:54 AM   #23
Lol-x
Facilitator

Seems like some guy has my watch on hold until the end of the month, if he doesn't take it I surely will.

Chad you gots to learn to compromise sometimes
Old 26 October 2007, 12:01 PM   #24
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi
Thanks in advance.

Hey Steve, I had that exact same watch in 2005. I bought it from a grey dealer. I had it for 8 months, then flipped it. Here are my personal views on it....

Positives:
Omega Swiss
Presentation, pictograms
Movement COSC - was accurate.
Comfortable on wrist
GMT was easy to adjust, but not as good as Rolex.
Easy to read indices and hands, day or night (Lume was good)
Price - AU$2400 BNIB

Negatives:
The bezel was half black and half silver. Didn't care for the insert and it scratched easily. The bezel on the white dial version was all silver, which to me looked better.
Like this.......

The numbers on the bezel are too large and the division too close, so GMT hand can be miss-read.

Domed AR crystal didn't appeal to me.

Crown and shoulders seemed disproportionate to case. (Stuck out more)

Summary:
Class watch from Omega and will last years. Dollar depreciation is significant. I lost 45% after 8 months, so if you buy, keep it.

Cheers from Steve.
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2007, 02:26 PM   #25
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks very much Steve for that information and photo
Seems like you took a big hit on re-sale. Hopefully someone has already taken the hit for me.
From what I've seen I like the anti-reflective nature of the crystal.
From what you say, it was a reliable watch with a good movement and great luminosity, those attributes are important to me.
Old 26 October 2007, 02:56 PM   #26
leopardprey
Banned

Well, even a 45% hit, is not bad since you can pick one up for under $2000 US. Where as with a Rolex, you may take a 20% hit, but since will cost you $4500-$5000,you still loose about the same amount.
Old 29 October 2007, 03:44 AM   #27
MotoLiam

Lol-X, I've been keeping my eye out for a whiteface Omega GMT. If you pull the trigger on the blackface, I'm sure you'll be happy. The only reason I haven't really gone for it yet is the Swatch Group connection makes me hesitant.
MotoLiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2007, 10:54 PM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

Hi Liam good luck on the white GMT.
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on the black dial I've got a chance on buying.
My brother had a Flightmaster in Papua New Guinea about 20 years ago and got water in it. I told him about the Omega GMT and he wasn't very complimentary on Omega. However, I think the Seamaster is a lot more water tight than the Flightmaster.
Old 14 November 2007, 12:25 PM   #29
Lol-x
Facilitator

I think I'm getting this watch, can't wait
You know the feeling, those 3-4 weeks of sheer torture from seeing a photo to the time you get the knife out and either cut open the brown paper or something else if things don't go according to plan.
Then I've got the joy of getting the bracelet the correct size
My question now (sorry for such a newbie ) is can I get the official chrono certificate from Omega, because somehow that credit card certification just isn't enough.
What does SMP mean? I thought it was Seamaster Professional, but that would just be SP?
Old 14 November 2007, 04:41 PM   #30
jasonbellevue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What does SMP mean? I thought it was Seamaster Professional, but that would just be SP?
Steve, I may be mistaken, but I believe SMP stands for Sea Master Professional, with SeaMaster separated into 2 words, then again what about Speedmaster?