The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2015, 03:25 PM   #31
AllFlexZone
Banned

tell them the watch is running fast/slow. then they will put it on the machine. then tell them you want it adjusted to be more exact. should be about $90. they will adjust it and in the process be able to see if anything is wrong
AllFlexZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 03:25 PM   #32
AllFlexZone
Banned

and that also serves as proof that the watch is genuine. not at AD. AD means cow penis. RSC
AllFlexZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 03:29 PM   #33
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeledi View Post
Hi guys,

I finally purchased my first Sub 14060M from a reputable seller on eBay. Because I'm very paranoid about buying used watches (as I should), I decided to take it to the AD to make sure the watch was legit, running the risk of getting out of there without a watch or even worse. The AD checked the serial and specs and told me everything checks out with the serial however the watch hasnt been serviced but doesn't need service as of yet (not for another few months or a year). However, I'm still uneasy about the watch being the real thing since they didn't open the case. They said it would cost $150 to do that or about $780 to service it (which I guess includes the authentication part).

My question is: would the AD be able to tell that the watch is 100% legit without opening the case as they did? I'm trying to avoind paying the service cost as of now but I intend to do it at some point because I'm planning to keep the watch. But at the same time I want to make sure I square any issues with the watch ASAP. Do you guys know if its possible for them to tell? Anyone has had any such experience?

Thanks,
If you want to do a quick test, I read this online years ago so I do not know how true it is today.

Open the crown, and set the time. If the hands move clockwise while the crown moves clockwise, it is most likely the real deal. If the hands move counter-clockwise you probably have a movement that did not come out of the Rolex factory. Just a quick note some mentioned you could have a fake movement in a real case, you can also have a real movement in a fake case so pay for piece of mind and get everything verified!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 08:22 PM   #34
aaamax
"TRF" Member

The movement in your watch if it is legit makes a unique sound that I believe any Rolex enthusiast will instantly recognize. You said this is your first Sub. Is it also your first Rolex? If so, Find someone that knows how a modern Rolex sounds. If no friends can help you out just go to your local pawn shop… seriously. Those boys know their stuff and won't charge you a dime.
-Friends Don't Let Friends RSC-
aaamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 09:01 PM   #35
MrSimba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD & ExpII
I certainly couldnt tell a fake vs real Rolex by ear!

I'm going to have to start listening!!!

But every fake I've seen just lack the sharpness of the genuine artical in every area, the fonts are not crisp, the finishing on the case is not there, the lugs / crown are usualy mis shaped, and not seen one yet where the frosted finish in the inside of the clasp is anywhere like a genuine Rolex,

I'd like to think that I could spot a fake by eye though franken watches out there must be a nightmare to spot without opening up and even then it could be a fake case & strap with genuine dial, hands, bezel & movement!!!

Guess thats why I buy NIB from my AD!!! :)
MrSimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 12:28 AM   #36
aaamax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimba View Post
I certainly couldnt tell a fake vs real Rolex by ear!
I would wager that you indeed could if you had a control watch to use as your standard. If you can differentiate between the sound of a piano from a guitar, I believe you could hear the difference in the Rolex. This of course includes moving it in your hand to hear/feel the rotor.
-Friends Don't Let Friends RSC-
aaamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 01:00 AM   #37
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Go to an RSC and ask for a service quote, and/or post pics here
This, than you'll know for sure
Old 19 February 2015, 01:11 AM   #38
calieng
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
Some things to look for on the Sub-C models for fakes: bezel has white or silver painted numbers not platinum, cyclops has slight blue color or reflections not crystal clear, fonts are slightly different and letter spacing incorrect on dial, crown sits lower on case not centered on crown guard. Movement is likely a decorated Asian 2836 or old Swiss 2836 (hence the lower crown position). For the steel bezel models look also at the bezel color and fonts. And for all models with dates check that the date wheel numbers are centered in the window. Also if the SELs (solid end links) have a slight gap with the case then that is also a sign of a fake.

If you look at a fake and gen side by side most people will be able to see differences without opening the case. Just looking at it by itself is more difficult to tell.
calieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 01:19 AM   #39
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
I am guessing you paid the equivalent of a few thousand $ for the watch. I would go the extra $150 and have piece of mind. If you paid way less than a few thousand that probably answers your question as to its authenticity!
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 01:39 AM   #40
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC12 View Post
I am guessing you paid the equivalent of a few thousand $ for the watch. I would go the extra $150 and have piece of mind. If you paid way less than a few thousand that probably answers your question as to its authenticity!
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 01:58 AM   #41
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
This post brings to mind another sore point with me. When I first bought my Rolex I brought it into an AD and inquired what the cost to service it would be. His response was that it would be $100 to mail it to Rolex registered plus whatever cost of service there would be from Rolex. I politely refused since the cost to send it registered would be around $20 insured from the post office. $80 it seems a lot for handling.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 03:55 AM   #42
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
This post brings to mind another sore point with me. When I first bought my Rolex I brought it into an AD and inquired what the cost to service it would be. His response was that it would be $100 to mail it to Rolex registered plus whatever cost of service there would be from Rolex. I politely refused since the cost to send it registered would be around $20 insured from the post office. $80 it seems a lot for handling.
Im not sure why anyone would want to deal with an AD (or "middle-man") when planning on sending a watch to the RSC.

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 08:00 PM   #43
regnant
"TRF" Member

I think you should also be looking at Rolex crown logo at 6 o'clock. It must be very hard to see as if there was nothing there.
I had seen a high end replica made with genuine pieces swiss eta according to the owner , still crown on the glass gave it away. It was a Daytona
Bracelet also has a unique feeling and noises.Having a couple of Rolex watches I can easily spot that noise and all of my bracelet models have this noise.None of replica watches have this however
Old 19 February 2015, 09:02 PM   #44
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
$150 is too much just to open a case.

Im sure any competent watchmaker can do it for lless than 50 bucks.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 12:09 AM   #45
calieng
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by regnant View Post
I think you should also be looking at Rolex crown logo at 6 o'clock. It must be very hard to see as if there was nothing there.
I had seen a high end replica made with genuine pieces swiss eta according to the owner , still crown on the glass gave it away. It was a Daytona
Bracelet also has a unique feeling and noises.Having a couple of Rolex watches I can easily spot that noise and all of my bracelet models have this noise.None of replica watches have this however
From a recent trip to Asia I can tell you most of the fakes now have the etched crown on the crystal. But the watch weight is usually lighter (especially on the fake gold models) and the finish on the bracelet is not as nice. They use 316L steel so that might weigh less than the Rolex alloy?
calieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 12:11 AM   #46
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by calieng View Post
From a recent trip to Asia I can tell you most of the fakes now have the etched crown on the crystal. But the watch weight is usually lighter (especially on the fake gold models) and the finish on the bracelet is not as nice. They use 316L steel so that might weigh less than the Rolex alloy?
Yeah, he knows fakes have the etched crystal he's just saying it's way way more subtle on real Rolexes.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 02:14 AM   #47
MoreCowdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
$150 is a lot to pay for about 10 minutes worth of work. When I got my watch I took it to a local high end watch repair shop (Rolex trained/certified) and they opened it up and subsequently pressure tested it free of charge. As the owner had recently returned from a class on the 3187 movement, he knew pretty much immediately what he was looking at, and I was on my way pretty quickly.
MoreCowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2015, 01:37 PM   #48
Bgator
2024 Pledge Member

I just bought my first nice watch a few weeks ago. Not a Rolex but the one I've wanted for 20 years. While i had no reason to question its authenticity, I took it right away to an independent to authenticate. I paid $150 for them to pop the case and examine the movement. The cost for that compared to the watch was incremental but to me the peace of mind was worth every penny. They would have done just an external exam for less, but it didn't seem like the place to try and save a few bucks.
Bgator is offline   Reply With Quote