The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 April 2020, 03:46 PM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

Ready to give up on the speedmaster

I've tried to love it because of how revered it is in the watch community.

Had a hesalite and then traded it towards a 5 digit sub.

Re-bought a hesalite and then traded it towards a 6 digit sub.

Now I've got the sapphire sandwich, thinking I might like it better, but it feels a little soul-less to me or something. I can't seem to connect with it.

Granted it hasn't been that long but should it be this hard? What am I missing?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:39 PM   #2
stockae92
"TRF" Member

No, you are not alone. I have had both, neither were keeper. Then I went straight to X-33 and stayed with that, but that's another story.

I think the last thing you can try is something like the First Omega in Space. They are smaller and have a different hands. Otherwise, there are always tons of limited edition you can try.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:47 PM   #3
ree7
"TRF" Member

Just because it's so revered doesn't mean every collector should own/love one. Maybe owning one at some point, yes, giving it a try. But if it doesn't sing to you, well definitely it'll be better to buy something else you love.
Speaking of soul-less though, the vintage ones definitely have more soul. Late 60s models (such as 145.012) often have warm yellow patina, while older ones (2998 or 105.003) have very strong vintage vibes with their straight lugs and small pushers.
Or if you want something new and interesting, the Tokyo 2020 Olympics panda is nice.
ree7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 05:11 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I’ve just bought a late Tritium model. Vintage cream patina and hesalite is a winner.
Old 14 April 2020, 07:06 PM   #5
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I have been wearing mine daily for almost 2 months now. It seems to be my daily wearer now. Please note that I have other watches and that I have 3 chronographs too. I just like the tool watch vibe and I actually use the stopwatch for many reasons like baking time, travel time, resting time. I find the bezel, domed crystal and brushed bracelet nice. It would look nice now and 50 years from now. Then there is also the heritage of being one of the first chronographs and the moon thing.

That said wr and comfort lacking. You can’t have everything though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:23 PM   #6
SamH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36
I think it's just a matter of what you like or don't. I'm wearing a sapphire sandwich right now and quite like it, I didn't buy it just because it was a Speedmaster but at the time it felt like it was the one I wanted. It still fits a gap in my 'watch wearing schedule' and as long as it does I'll keep it in my rotation.

The Speedmaster probably suffers a bit from its own hype, as it will always have to live up to it. Personally it's the only watch I've got which has that 'must have one' thing hanging around it. It just happens I like it, although I have had a hesalite briefly and prefer the sapphire - it's more comfortable I find.
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 07:52 PM   #7
SamH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36
The Speedmaster suffers a bit from its own hype in a way. I'm wearing a sapphire sandwich right now, although I bought it because at the time it best fitted with what I was looking for. (Had a hesalite briefly but it didn't feel as comfortable for some reason). Seems to be comfortable, useful and reliable from my perspective. Watches are really subjective - It's why I never recommend anything to people, they might hate it.
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 08:24 PM   #8
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I think the last thing you can try is something like the First Omega in Space. They are smaller and have a different hands. Otherwise, there are always tons of limited edition you can try.
This was one that did it for me. Really love it, and it gets quite a bit of wrist time.

At 39.7mm, it wears much differently than the 42mm Speedy.
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 10:45 PM   #9
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I wore my hesalite this weekend and loved every second, it really is an amazing watch. If it’s not for you, it’s not for you, it’s just a watch after all.
Old 14 April 2020, 10:57 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Timepieces can indeed be a personal thing. If it does not resonate with you, then do not buy (or sell and move on).

As an example, the Patek Aqua was like that for me. In hindsight, after having the 5167 (wife had matching 5065), we sold both due to lack of durability. Today i can't see the appeal at all for the 5167, yet others seem to. So sell and move on to something that you find more interesting that meets your desires and lifestyle. jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 01:23 AM   #11
mmalek1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one.
I can say it took me a long time to try out the speedmaster. I was definitely late to the game, but I’m glad I did. With so many variations, I guess it might take finding the right one. I still enjoy this one a lot.
♛16610LV, ♛116710BLNR, ♛214270, ♛116610LN, ♛216570, ♛116900, ♛16600, ♛116400GV, ΩSpeedmaster Silver Snoopy 45th and 50th, ΩSpeedmaster ST1, ΩCK859, Seiko Alpinist SPB089, Casio Oceanus S100, Ball DM1020
mmalek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 05:49 AM   #12
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
There are so many variations you should be able to find one if you want to. FWIW the standard speedy leaves me cold as is just black and white. The Apollo 11 with the gold bits is my favourite watch - go figure.

In my case probably why I prefer the bb58 over 5/6 digit Rolex - I dislike the sterility.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 05:51 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If we all liked the same thing, it could be a very boring world indeed.
Old 15 April 2020, 05:54 AM   #14
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A971 View Post
This was one that did it for me. Really love it, and it gets quite a bit of wrist time.

At 39.7mm, it wears much differently than the 42mm Speedy.
I like the idea of no crown guard.

The Speedy Pro crown guard with the small-ish crown makes it difficult for me to wind. So I wore mine less when I had them.

In contrast, I wore my PAM and also new Hamilton 38mm field watch a lot because its so easy to and a joy to wind the watch.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 08:00 AM   #15
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Word...
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 11:04 AM   #16
IR201
"TRF" Member

Great points guys many thanks - I do like a couple of the Tokyo Olympic models, though after 3 failed attempts with this watch I'm hesitant to take another risk, and I'm not sure I'd like to stare at the watch given why the olympics were cancelled
Old 15 April 2020, 04:07 PM   #17
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
The world would be a boring place if we all like the same things.
If the Speedmaster doesn't grab you, it's ok. It's about the journey.

That said, though the Daytona is nice it doesn't grab me either. I count this as a good thing, since it spares me from all the drama that acquiring it entails.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 08:11 PM   #18
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Great points guys many thanks - I do like a couple of the Tokyo Olympic models, though after 3 failed attempts with this watch I'm hesitant to take another risk, and I'm not sure I'd like to stare at the watch given why the Olympics were cancelled
I really don't understand this at all, if it didn't work the 1st time, I wouldn't go back for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

There is so much more out there to enjoy rather than going around in circles.

But if you must go for a Speedmaster, good luck, I really hope you find the one

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 10:53 PM   #19
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Ready to give up on the speedmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree7 View Post
Just because it's so revered doesn't mean every collector should own/love one. Maybe owning one at some point, yes, giving it a try. But if it doesn't sing to you, well definitely it'll be better to buy something else you love.
Speaking of soul-less though, the vintage ones definitely have more soul. Late 60s models (such as 145.012) often have warm yellow patina, while older ones (2998 or 105.003) have very strong vintage vibes with their straight lugs and small pushers.
Or if you want something new and interesting, the Tokyo 2020 Olympics panda is nice.

That's what I find. It's such a historic watch but it just does not sing to me. I'd be spending a lot of money on something's story I enjoy more than the product. There are a few limited and special editions that do sing to me.... but the boat has sailed and they cost too much for me to buy now.
Old 15 April 2020, 10:58 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Absolutely
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 11:37 PM   #21
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

If you don’t connect with the watch I say let it go and put that money to better use. I think that’s why it’s so important to try pieces on, ideally a few times.

For me I was smitten the first time I tried the hesalite speedie on - it just took me several years to actually buy it (I don’t know why).
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 11:50 PM   #22
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
I go back and forth because there are sooo many variations.

I think when the time comes for me I’d go for an Alaska Project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 12:52 AM   #23
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
I really don't understand this at all, if it didn't work the 1st time, I wouldn't go back for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

There is so much more out there to enjoy rather than going around in circles.

But if you must go for a Speedmaster, good luck, I really hope you find the one

Yeah, you're definitely right. Going to stop forcing it! I might even stop trying to force chronographs generally as I seem way more into dive watches and simple three-handers.

I raised the thread in part because it seems to me the speedmaster is uniquely a watch people buy then sell then buy then sell etc. many times over - so was wondering what is behind that and if people share my experience.
Old 16 April 2020, 06:48 AM   #24
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
Yeah, you're definitely right. Going to stop forcing it! I might even stop trying to force chronographs generally as I seem way more into dive watches and simple three-handers.

I raised the thread in part because it seems to me the speedmaster is uniquely a watch people buy then sell then buy then sell etc. many times over - so was wondering what is behind that and if people share my experience.

I like the esthetics of chronographs, but personal feel like I would never use the complication for its intended purpose...I use Alexa for my cooking timer lol

Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 07:42 AM   #25
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Had one but it didn't stick. Maybe I will circle back one day as others have.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 08:01 AM   #26
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Same happened with me many years ago.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 12:30 PM   #27
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
I've tried to love it because of how revered it is in the watch community.

Had a hesalite and then traded it towards a 5 digit sub.

Re-bought a hesalite and then traded it towards a 6 digit sub.

Now I've got the sapphire sandwich, thinking I might like it better, but it feels a little soul-less to me or something. I can't seem to connect with it.

Granted it hasn't been that long but should it be this hard? What am I missing?

You may not be missing anything and the watch may not be for you. However, it also depends too. If you tend to flip, and crave that dopamine rush from a new purchase, it becomes hard to "settle" for any watch. Beyond the initial attraction, what really makes a keeper is when it becomes associated with our lives and experiences, which create the meaning. If we have a collection that is on the large side or we flip often it becomes difficult to develop this meaning and bond with your watches. So my question for you is, is this just a speedy problem, or have you become dissatisfied with others?

You can play around with the straps, natos, silver snoopy's, leather, and after a few months, you can let it go. For me, I love watches and have since the 80's and I know myself well. I have owned many, the ones that stay are the ones that have the meaning, the ones that moved on did not. Even the watches I have and will never sell (like my speedy) it becomes easy to fantasize about flipping it for another watch. Not because I dislike my speedy, but because of the newness and thrill of the research, hunt, and purchase. I have also realized that even the watches with the most meaning, habituation sets in and I get bored. That boredom may or may not be a reason to flip though.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 12:34 PM   #28
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I like the idea of no crown guard.

The Speedy Pro crown guard with the small-ish crown makes it difficult for me to wind. So I wore mine less when I had them.

In contrast, I wore my PAM and also new Hamilton 38mm field watch a lot because its so easy to and a joy to wind the watch.
The winding is easier when you position you index finger under the crown flat and pull that finder toward you while pushing the edge of your thumb on top of the crown. I find blowing on my fingers before I wind my speedy helpful. The tad bit of moisture provides grip....seriously.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 12:39 PM   #29
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

It’s got to have meaning for you. I have a 145.022 with the 220 dial and that special for me. Beautiful sized watch and great patina. Don’t wear it too often, but deeply enjoy it when I do. Don’t think it would an every day watch for me

mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 01:33 PM   #30
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
You may not be missing anything and the watch may not be for you. However, it also depends too. If you tend to flip, and crave that dopamine rush from a new purchase, it becomes hard to "settle" for any watch. Beyond the initial attraction, what really makes a keeper is when it becomes associated with our lives and experiences, which create the meaning. If we have a collection that is on the large side or we flip often it becomes difficult to develop this meaning and bond with your watches. So my question for you is, is this just a speedy problem, or have you become dissatisfied with others?

You can play around with the straps, natos, silver snoopy's, leather, and after a few months, you can let it go. For me, I love watches and have since the 80's and I know myself well. I have owned many, the ones that stay are the ones that have the meaning, the ones that moved on did not. Even the watches I have and will never sell (like my speedy) it becomes easy to fantasize about flipping it for another watch. Not because I dislike my speedy, but because of the newness and thrill of the research, hunt, and purchase. I have also realized that even the watches with the most meaning, habituation sets in and I get bored. That boredom may or may not be a reason to flip though.
Thanks for the really thoughtful reply. Definitely agree that the pieces with meaning are the best. Sometimes I try to manufacture meaning because I know this lol.

To answer your question, I've always been into watches but only scaled it up 100X about three years ago. I've tried so many affordable watches, then went into Tudors, omegas, Rolexes, Breitlings, Grand Seikos etc. I've moved a lot of them on for others. However, each time I do this, I wind up with a larger percentage of 'keepers' or ones I am unwilling to move.

It's been a fairly rigorous process where I'm finally at a place now where I would have a really hard time moving anything or trading anything. Except the speedmaster, which was meant to be go-to watch when I don't want the attention of a Rolex, but it just is not singing to me on the wrist.

I guess that's a long way of saying yes I do flip but ultimately get to a place with many watches where the music stops.

On the other hand, I do keep rebuying the darn thing for a reason. Maybe I should just chill and try it for longer.