The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 January 2018, 01:55 AM   #1
gadget-guy
"TRF" Member

Fake Movement?

So, I am almost sure about the answers that I am going to get......but does the movement in this watch appear to be a authentic?

I have seen Rolex pocket watch movements (internet pictures) that look similar. And, this is supposed to be from a pocket watch movement. I have exchanged messages with the seller and he says that it is a Rolex movement.

I know that no other part of the watch is authentic - but I like the rest of the watch..... if it is an authentic movement.

I am too new to post links but the seller is on Ebay and his store is Patina-Original
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex movement.jpg (35.1 KB, 259 views)
gadget-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 02:24 AM   #2
watchluvr
Banned

Watch: Rolex President
I have seen heard many people say that is a generic pocket watch movement with Rolex engraved on it, and it is used in these antique vintage pocketwatch conversions.
watchluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 04:02 AM   #3
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Watch is of course a "FRANKEN" using a pocket watch movement.
I do not believe that is a ROLEX AEGLER movement either.

A
Old 7 January 2018, 05:43 AM   #4
Cryten
"TRF" Member

These are common frankenwatches being pumped out of the Ukraine by the thousands.

I can't comment on this particular movement, but applying some simple logic, how many Rolex pocket watch movements do you think these guys have?

These guys are also known for shill bidding once they get an actual bidder (you'll notice the auctions are always private). If you bid, you'll be shill bid up to $1500-2000 and you'll get sent a watch barely worth $50.

I wouldn't touch it with someone else's barge pole.

Link for anyone interested: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-swiss-...kAAOSwTm9aTgpU
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 05:54 AM   #5
gadget-guy
"TRF" Member

Thank you all!

I guess I should have assumed that responses on a Rolex forum would be better than 4chan.... :). Those were all really helpful

I figured it was likely fake, but they look good enough that I had to ask....and their response to my question was good enough that I was intrigued.
Old 7 January 2018, 06:06 AM   #6
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Waltham

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget-guy View Post
So, I am almost sure about the answers that I am going to get......but does the movement in this watch appear to be a authentic?

I have seen Rolex pocket watch movements (internet pictures) that look similar. And, this is supposed to be from a pocket watch movement. I have exchanged messages with the seller and he says that it is a Rolex movement.

I know that no other part of the watch is authentic - but I like the rest of the watch..... if it is an authentic movement.

I am too new to post links but the seller is on Ebay and his store is Patina-Original

I recently had a Waltham wrist watch that was once a pocket watch, it was common in around the 1930's to convert these, Id be interested to learn of when the seller believes this watch movement dates from, you can then advise the seller you've been in touch with Rolex....... wait and see what the response is. personally id avoid buying Rolex's from Ebay. be lucky "H"
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 06:29 AM   #7
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
I recently had a Waltham wrist watch that was once a pocket watch, it was common in around the 1930's to convert these, Id be interested to learn of when the seller believes this watch movement dates from, you can then advise the seller you've been in touch with Rolex....... wait and see what the response is. personally id avoid buying Rolex's from Ebay. be lucky "H"
Even if it was a ROLEX movement (which I do NOT believe it is) they would never comment on a "Franken" piece.
Neither will Patek Philippe, Omega or IWC to name a few.
Old 7 January 2018, 06:32 AM   #8
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
These are common frankenwatches being pumped out of the Ukraine by the thousands.

Link for anyone interested: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-swiss-...kAAOSwTm9aTgpU
That watch is using a "Lepine" pocket watch movement - hence the sub-seconds get moved to 9 o Clock' when fitted into a 'custom' wristwatch case
JUNK
Old 7 January 2018, 06:58 AM   #9
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Even if it was a ROLEX movement (which I do NOT believe it is) they would never comment on a "Franken" piece.
Neither will Patek Philippe, Omega or IWC to name a few.
Really.... this shocks me....I've had a few dealings with Rolex UK in regards to my 1968 5513 and confirming its providence etc..... I found them to be very helpfully and understanding, I thought that this would be the same in regards to confirming the type of movement etc, thank you for the correction,
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 07:07 AM   #10
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really.... this shocks me....I've had a few dealings with Rolex UK in regards to my 1968 5513 and confirming its providence etc..... I found them to be very helpfully and understanding, I thought that this would be the same in regards to confirming the type of movement etc, thank you for the correction,
Rolex as will other manufacturers generally help if the piece is all 100% original.
If its an after market dial, they will offer to replace (at a cost)
BUT
For a "Franken" they will refuse to touch or comment.
The movement may be theirs BUT nothing else about the watch is that manufacturer.
It was and NEVER will be made by that manufacturer!

A
Old 7 January 2018, 09:45 AM   #11
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This watch would have been made last week. I really wouldn't get excited by the movement, these watches are made in large numbers and targeted at new and uninformed buyers. The dials are child-like and probably indicative of how the rest of watch is cobbled together.

Avoid at all cost.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 10:10 AM   #12
Thathorologist
Banned

Aren’t these Movements a conversion from Pocket Watches?

Please keep in mind that I haven’t read any of the replies yet...
Reading the replies above now.
Thathorologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 10:15 AM   #13
Thathorologist
Banned

Funny enough that I know a few Rissuan/Ukranian Watchmakers locally from Local antique markets and not only they have Rolex (franken) Converted pocket watches, they also have Tiffany & Co. , A.&S.
Omega, and many Other franken watches in the name of very sought after brands...

It’s all the same movement and same layout anyway.
Old 7 January 2018, 10:16 AM   #14
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thathorologist View Post
Aren’t these Movements a conversion from Pocket Watches?
Could be that the Mainspring and the Barrel are made by Rolex.
Please keep in mind that I haven’t read any of the replies yet...
Reading the replies above now.
??

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:46 AM   #15
gadget-guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thathorologist View Post
Funny enough that I know a few Rissuan/Ukranian Watchmakers locally from Local antique markets and not only they have Rolex (franken) Converted pocket watches, they also have Tiffany & Co. , A.&S.
Omega, and many Other franken watches in the name of very sought after brands...

It’s all the same movement and same layout anyway.
First, let me say - given the feedback and info from here - I am not buying. Great info. Thanks all.

I will say that one of the things about this seller that actually drew me in was that they do sell the other sought after brands, but the seller seems to use different movements for each brand.....it brought in me a little closer.

Oh well. Again, thanks all.
Old 9 January 2018, 01:07 AM   #16
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
First, let me say - given the feedback and info from here - I am not buying. Great info. Thanks all.

I will say that one of the things about this seller that actually drew me in was that they do sell the other sought after brands, but the seller seems to use different movements for each brand.....it brought in me a little closer.

Happy that you stayed away.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:10 AM   #17
Thathorologist
Banned

Quote:

All the best to you in collecting watches