The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 September 2021, 01:05 AM   #31
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sorry brother … I can’t relate
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 01:06 AM   #32
Jonnewbank
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610lv, 124060,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I tend to run in cycles. Obsessed and always looking to add > content with the collection > tired of watches and selling> back to the start

I’ve said before I’m more of a connoisseur than a collector.

Where am I right now? Somewhere between obsessed and content

Christ I empathise with that post! Covid turned me watch nuts, getting ocd about every little detail, buying one larger watch and selling all my smaller ones, then buying a small watch and selling all my big ones. All through covid boredom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonnewbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 01:09 AM   #33
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Interests change over time. They come and go. The availability of Rolex is now insane. It’s really not fun anymore. I’ll most likely pick up a new Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 01:10 AM   #34
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Seth, I think this is a good and worthwhile discussion.

Blansky has brought up some good points and there are others: Depression we are all feeling from being alone or isolated during this pandemic and also the shortage of Rolex watches for enthusiasts and collectors. With the latter, I have given up on trying to land a coveted piece, an AD will not call me, I am a little fish and I refuse to pay gray market prices.

Many childhood likes and even likes in the recent years have gone more mainstream and spoils the novelty. My Dad introduced me to stamp collecting when I was young. I loved mounting this stamps and looking at the collection. The stamps told a story. Today, you cannot be a stamp collector because stamps have gone mainstream and when you buy stamps you get them on a sheet and the only purpose is for postage, can’t be used for collection. Long gone are the plate blocks and mint sheets. This saddened me to see this hobby turn south. There are others.

There is another point when one becomes dissatisfied with what they own. There is an age old adage, “ what you can have you don’t want, and what you can’t have, you want”. Some people were born with a platinum spoon in their rectum. Others had to work from the ground up to amass any wealth or assets. If something is given to you, it just does not have the value as if you earned it yourself with your hard earned money. When you give someone something for nothing, that is the value they place on it. Think of what a Rolex means to two different people: one person was given it, the other person worked his/her arse off to be able to buy it for themselves.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 01:34 AM   #35
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Just observing the hoops other people jump through to constantly accumulate and consume exhausts me. Stay true to your core values and desires, don't chase, and suddenly everything seems less like a goat rodeo.
Old 8 September 2021, 01:45 AM   #36
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have worn a Rolex virtually every day since 1985. For 30+ years it was a two toned DJ. Super flashy according to the cognoscenti here. Then a Daytona. I doubt it would take two hands to count the number of comments I've had on the two watches. It is nothing like driving an exotic, which is WAY more obvious.

Maybe a bunch of people notice outside of jewelry stores and just don't comment, but who cares? They're subtle enough, and it's the one piece of jewelry I enjoy. And the whole idea of a mechanical watch that can continue to work and keep great time is pretty cool. I may not bother playing AD games or get bent out of shape that it's so hard to get a popular watch these days, but I enjoy the crap out of what I have and would never consider parting with it.
Old 8 September 2021, 02:01 AM   #37
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Seth, I think this is a good and worthwhile discussion.

Blansky has brought up some good points and there are others: Depression we are all feeling from being alone or isolated during this pandemic and also the shortage of Rolex watches for enthusiasts and collectors. With the latter, I have given up on trying to land a coveted piece, an AD will not call me, I am a little fish and I refuse to pay gray market prices.

Many childhood likes and even likes in the recent years have gone more mainstream and spoils the novelty. My Dad introduced me to stamp collecting when I was young. I loved mounting this stamps and looking at the collection. The stamps told a story. Today, you cannot be a stamp collector because stamps have gone mainstream and when you buy stamps you get them on a sheet and the only purpose is for postage, can’t be used for collection. Long gone are the plate blocks and mint sheets. This saddened me to see this hobby turn south. There are others.

There is another point when one becomes dissatisfied with what they own. There is an age old adage, “ what you can have you don’t want, and what you can’t have, you want”. Some people were born with a platinum spoon in their rectum. Others had to work from the ground up to amass any wealth or assets. If something is given to you, it just does not have the value as if you earned it yourself with your hard earned money. When you give someone something for nothing, that is the value they place on it. Think of what a Rolex means to two different people: one person was given it, the other person worked his/her arse off to be able to buy it for themselves.
Great comments, Bill. Appreciate it. Definitely food for thought.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 02:02 AM   #38
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnewbank View Post
Christ I empathise with that post! Covid turned me watch nuts, getting ocd about every little detail, buying one larger watch and selling all my smaller ones, then buying a small watch and selling all my big ones. All through covid boredom.

At least this is only a new development for you. I’ve been doing it for about 10 years I’ve built and burned at least half a dozen times!

This problem was exacerbated by the increase in value and liquidity. When I started you took a 20-30% haircut to sell a watch and that made you think twice.

Hmm I’ve got 7200 in my GMT I don’t want to unload it Willy nilly for 5500 unless I really want that other piece. Now most stuff is even money or better so changing is guilt free.
Old 8 September 2021, 02:03 AM   #39
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Just observing the hoops other people jump through to constantly accumulate and consume exhausts me. Stay true to your core values and desires, don't chase, and suddenly everything seems less like a goat rodeo.
Goat rodeo. I love that. Using that.

And I was one of them.

Now I only want to downsize. Not just watches. In general.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 02:31 AM   #40
skp
"TRF" Member

I wear watches for two reasons. 90% because of the utility. I check the time more than I thought. If I'm not wearing one, I am inconvenience several times throughout the day. I love the original idea of the rolex professional series. To have a well made, reliable and rugged tool watch that looks good on the wrist and can go whereever I go. Because of this, I wouldn't mind being a one watch guy. However, tastes change and you can get the itch for something new.

The other 10% would be as an accessory/jewelery. I don't neccessarily want to show off bling but I find that a nice watch completes the look of a person in many situations for both dressing up and dressing down.

If you're going to leave the passion. At least keep and wear a no date sub. Or a Tudor black bay 58.
skp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 02:32 AM   #41
Jonnewbank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At least this is only a new development for you. I’ve been doing it for about 10 years I’ve built and burned at least half a dozen times!

This problem was exacerbated by the increase in value and liquidity. When I started you took a 20-30% haircut to sell a watch and that made you think twice.

Hmm I’ve got 7200 in my GMT I don’t want to unload it Willy nilly for 5500 unless I really want that other piece. Now most stuff is even money or better so changing is guilt free.

That’s the thing. You can’t try watches on in the dealer anymore, so you buy them, if you don’t like them keep for six months in the safe, wear something else then swap it and have another go!

It’s took me fifteen watches to realise I only like 42-43mm Rolex!

Old 8 September 2021, 02:40 AM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnewbank View Post
That’s the thing. You can’t try watches on in the dealer anymore, so you buy them, if you don’t like them keep for six months in the safe, wear something else then swap it and have another go!

It’s took me fifteen watches to realise I only like 42-43mm Rolex!

Preaching to the choir
Old 8 September 2021, 02:49 AM   #43
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Losing Interest in Watches

I’m losing interest in Rolex watches…gaining interest in other brands. I’m a watch enthusiast at heart.

I’m not big into cars but I’m sure there’s a car out there that everyone drives just because of the emblem on the front. That’s Rolex these days.

I have 2 in the collection and probably will not add any more in the future outside of an oyster band for my Pepsi.

As others have mentioned I can infrequently visit the general discussion anymore. Mostly open discussion nowadays

Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 02:51 AM   #44
logo
"TRF" Member

Depends on the approach to watches/possessions. There are some who seem to acquire a new watch every week, collecting up all the hot pieces from all the brands as fast as they can. Personally I’d find that boring - once you’ve bought all that you want you are left a bit unfulfilled and unsure where to go next. Sort of like a career, you want the goal post to continually get pushed further back to keep you moving in the right direction. Get to the post too quick and calling it game over makes for a short and uninteresting game. I value watches for their design, engineering and most importantly as reminders of milestone achievements/events rather than as something to buy just because I can. So my purchases get spaced out. That keeps me lusting haha.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:07 AM   #45
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Seth, just wear inexpensive watches like I do, ha ha... Seiko, Hamilton, Orient. Nobody accuses me of flaunting wealth

I do have a few Omegas and that's as nice as I have so far.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:12 AM   #46
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Hmmm... I do find myself wearing the Apple Watch more than anything else right now. Haven't bought a Rolex for 5 years now. If a black 116500 or Pepsi GMT come up at MSRP from an AD I'm in but the next three incomings are Kuronos x2 and a Ming.

Kind of done with Rolex as they seem to be done with me at this point. Same with Panerai. Not planning on selling anything though.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:18 AM   #47
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Watches are an interesting topic, but I have so many watches across a wide price range and so little time to wear them all that the drive to add more isn't there anymore, especially when you can't touch a Rolex unless you are willing to pay ridiculous premiums.

I must admit that the thrill is gone, but I still have enough interest to keep me following what's going on, so I drop in here and converse about this and that.

The current situation is not the vision that Wilsdorf had for his company, though the company is still mainly faithful to that vision.

It's the speculators that have ruined the hobby, just as they ruin everything they get their grubby little hands on.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:27 AM   #48
Jonnewbank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Preaching to the choir

Ha! Just got the call today. So maybe I should change my view!

Weird the excitement about getting the call compared to the excitement of buying off a grey dealer is so different.
Even if it’s not going to be your favourite watch in the collection, almost feels more special

Old 8 September 2021, 03:33 AM   #49
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
We all change. I used to be into baseball cards and no more. RC cars, though came back round to that recently lol. The hype has indeed turned me off as I shared in other posts. However I find that my seikos are under the radar, not hyped, and still make me happy and as a result have more and more wrist time. I always use a watch and wear as a tool, and so need to wear one, but for me I been wearing the seiko arnie now more and more as it’s the watch that started it all for me. Back before hype, long before waiting lists, there was and still is the arnie. Sometimes you can go back home again.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:34 AM   #50
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
I think I may in the minority here, but I'm not on Facebook, Instagram, or any social media other than TRF, WUS, and the Omega forum. I've always bought and wore what I loved, never bought or didn't buy as a result of something I've heard or seen on any format. I still love wearing my watches, and have never cared or even thought of what anyone else has thought.
Maybe take a break from all the social media outlets, and just get back to the basics. Live your life for you, your family, and close friends. Wear and do what makes you happy and a better person. Life is really short.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:38 AM   #51
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I'm also on the crossroad but soon I realized its my reaction towards our hobby. Try staying away from social media that focus on watches (IG, FB, Reddit and other fora like TRF, Watchuseek, etc.) even for a week or 2 and you'll miss it again.

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk
Old 8 September 2021, 03:44 AM   #52
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Hear me out...

Please...it is just a thought process. No flames please....

I used to love comic books. Any kind. My dad would drop me off at the store and pick me up hours later. I would scour the books for hours on end. I would read and reread my favorites.

Now that comics are so very mainstream, I am less of a fan. I liked being the nerd that liked comic books.

I liked being the nerd that knew the different watch model numbers too. I enjoyed the study of and the hobby of horology. I loved wearing watches.

Now that watches are so very mainstream, I am losing interest. Maybe it is the difficulty in getting. That is entirely possible. The drama in the watch world does make it less fun.

But with all the hype social media posts and watches being the big way of showing wealth, I am finding myself not wearing one these days. All last week, no watch. I wore one this weekend. As of this am, I am watchless once again...and I like it.

And everywhere I look, the watch appears to be the "symbol" of wealth. The nicer the watch, the wealthier the wearer. I don't like how that feels to me.

I am genuinely losing interest in them. I actually love my wrist being free of it, while everyone else has one on.

Maybe I just like being a little bit different. Maybe I am just a bit of a contrarian.

Maybe the hype and the drama are just too much for me. But either way, I am losing interest.

Curious if this is just me...

Looks like your interest is finding something others aren’t as interested in.

Problem is, if something is that good, it’ll only take a matter of time for that something to garner attention. Then, it seems you’re back to square one again.

Obviously, I don’t know you or your real passions, but I think you probably still love comics, and watches. Something for you loses its sparkle perhaps when you see others going for it too!

There’s nothing wrong with that, but perhaps that demonstrates your emotions towards these interests in your life - it illustrates that you do really have a fondness for them. It affects you when the masses follow suit.

Or, I could be getting too granular and have gotten it completely wrong.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 04:50 AM   #53
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Well Seth after carefully reviewing your comments and recent state of mind, you basically are left with only one option...send me your watches. Always glad to help out a fellow Jersey Bro! Oh and get off the forums and social media, at least the Rolex stuff, there’s nothing left to say or read about the state of the market. Too much negativity. It’s almost as bad as watching the news. Funny when you jump on other brand forums, those guys are enjoying their hobby.
Old 8 September 2021, 05:38 AM   #54
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
I have certainly lost interest in especially Rolex. When it's everywhere in the media and it starts to appear on quite a number of wrists in public, then some of the uniqueness disappears - I no longer get excited seeing the same watch on either a Jubilee or Oyster - Nevertheless, appreciate that a growing number of people has taken a genuine interest in the hobby.

I have not lost my interest in watches. Instead the current situation has opened my eyes for other brands, and I am genuinely excited to being exploring. Will need to find a job that pays me more, to get through my current wish-list
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 05:54 AM   #55
fmc000
Banned

@OP: I'm not on Instagram, I'm not on Facebook, I simply don't care about social media. I still live mechanical watches but nowadays I have absolutely no interest in owning them, I very much prefer reading about them on forums or online magazines.

Right now I only wear Japanese solar quartz watches that I can just grab and go, unless I'm working out, in that case I wear my Galaxy Watch 3.

It's just a phase, I'm sure. In a few months of years I will go back to my beloved mechanical watches and I think it will be probably the same for you.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 07:00 AM   #56
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
I’m losing interest in Rolex watches…gaining interest in other brands. I’m a watch enthusiast at heart.

I’m not big into cars but I’m sure there’s a car out there that everyone drives just because of the emblem on the front. That’s Rolex these days.

I have 2 in the collection and probably will not add any more in the future outside of an oyster band for my Pepsi.

As others have mentioned I can infrequently visit the general discussion anymore. Mostly open discussion nowadays

My feelings exactly. Cut down to two Rolexes, not impressed with fancy automobiles, and am adding other watch brands.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 07:33 AM   #57
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
But with all the hype social media posts and watches being the big way of showing wealth, I am finding myself not wearing one these days. All last week, no watch. I wore one this weekend. As of this am, I am watchless once again...and I like it.

And everywhere I look, the watch appears to be the "symbol" of wealth. The nicer the watch, the wealthier the wearer. I don't like how that feels to me.

Curious if this is just me...
Well, I may be one of the few that won't "kiss the ring."

I think that stepping out of a Lamborghini, Aston Martin or high end Mercedes is more of a visual statement of wealth than a watch that is on someones wrist, certainly, no one looks at me with my GS and thinks, "look at him, he is so much more wealthy than that tramp with the Aston."

To come on a watch forum and to accuse members of using their passion as a "symbol of wealth" (your words) is a bit rich.

I'm sorry, no flame intended but is this some kind of joke thread?

Just out of fairness, I go through phases with watches. Atm? I am not in the phase to buy or enjoy watches, the one I put on, on a morning is a JLC, the reason? No date, just easier to set the time and go.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 07:35 AM   #58
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Buy watches you love, as unpopular as they are, whether you’ll lose your trousers or not. I have and I’m happier than I’ve ever been.
Old 8 September 2021, 07:47 AM   #59
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Dear guy who may have stolen Seths password. Please lets get the real Seth back on. And If this was actually Seth please dont buddy at least have one watch maybe a Kermit or Daytona.
Danny83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 08:10 AM   #60
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Seth - I know the feeling. I'm chalking my feeling up to COVID exhaustion. Why? I have two on order that should excite the heck out of me:

1) 126619LB - my first PM piece, and kind of an exit watch. I hope to retire next year, and this may be the last watch I can buy without selling something else.

2) Omega Apollo 8 - my father past last year and I had been thinking about this one for a while and then it popped up in my news feed again and I saw the inscription - "we'll see yo u on the other side" I watched that with my dad and it's a fitting tribute to a man I miss dearly.

I still want both of these and they will mean a lot to me personally, but the "excitement" that I have felt in the past is just not there right now.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote