The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 December 2016, 02:04 AM   #61
tvad
"TRF" Member

I grew up in Western New York, and I wore parkas for many years during brutal lake effect winters.

There are some beautiful coats mentioned in this thread that we would have lusted for back in the day.

The primary difference between goose down and new synthetic down is the moisture retention of genuine down. Synthetic dries faster once wet, and it does not lose its warming effectiveness when damp like genuine down.
tvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 02:12 AM   #62
RawOysters
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post
Thanks for the continued replies i tried on the cg landford great coat but the hood totally engulfed my head i cant see a darn thing with the hood in, that was the deal breaker for me its no good if i cant see in the freezing cold walking around in the city lol
I have the Langford & absolutely love it. There is an adjustable strap on the back of the hood that will help with the visibility issue.
RawOysters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 02:23 AM   #63
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I didn't care for the buttons on the Chateau.
Must admit, I was the same when looking at photos, it was only when I tried it on that I liked the buttons, I also find that they allow a different degree of heat when fastened without the zip. Don't get me wrong, the Expedition is a fabulous coat, it was just too warm for my climate, I had it 3 years and probably wore it less than 10 times which is an absolute shame for such a wonderful coat.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 02:25 AM   #64
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
My Canada Goose was the warmest jacket I ever owned. Donated it when we moved to sunny California.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 02:38 AM   #65
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Must admit, I was the same when looking at photos, it was only when I tried it on that I liked the buttons, I also find that they allow a different degree of heat when fastened without the zip. Don't get me wrong, the Expedition is a fabulous coat, it was just too warm for my climate, I had it 3 years and probably wore it less than 10 times which is an absolute shame for such a wonderful coat.
Oh, I get it. This why I have the Borden Bomber as well. I'm hoping both will give me a bit more range with regards to above and below zero.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 02:39 AM   #66
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
My Canada Goose was the warmest jacket I ever owned. Donated it when we moved to sunny California.
As much as I like mine I would be willing to trade you both if you were willing to trade locations.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 December 2016, 10:14 AM   #67
de66
"TRF" Member

Try a brand called parajumpers for a change of scenery. Or for some individuality for that matter
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 10:31 AM   #68
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Try a brand called parajumpers for a change of scenery. Or for some individuality for that matter
I actually did some research on these and compared them to Canada Goose. It's been a few years so I can't exactly remember why but from what I saw these and a few other brands just weren't as good in the cold or they had issues Of some sort or another. Like I said it's been years but I did do some checking and they just didn't do it for me. I guess you could say it's somewhat like Rolex in that Rolex is also a very popular choice. It may not work for everybody but there's a good reason or many reasons that certain brands are pretty popular. However I found what works for me and it sounds as though you found what works for you.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 December 2016, 01:47 PM   #69
nick c
Banned

It's a Rolex of jackets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3956.jpg (54.0 KB, 242 views)
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 02:36 PM   #70
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
First off, I want to say that Canada Goose makes an excellent "expedition" style of jacket. Congratulations to Dan

If you're looking for something that's less common than Canada Goose, I would recommend bypassing Moncler/Parajumpers and instead go for Loro Piana.

I wear an Icer ski jacket. It's waterproof cashmere so it can also be dressed up. The whole Loro Piana outerwear range is great and worth checking out
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2016, 02:50 PM   #71
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
First off, I want to say that Canada Goose makes an excellent "expedition" style of jacket. Congratulations to Dan

If you're looking for something that's less common than Canada Goose, I would recommend bypassing Moncler/Parajumpers and instead go for Loro Piana.

I wear an Icer ski jacket. It's waterproof cashmere so it can also be dressed up. The whole Loro Piana outerwear range is great and worth checking out
Thank you sir.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 December 2016, 03:29 PM   #72
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Old 21 December 2016, 04:29 PM   #73
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
And it has plenty of pockets to stash a flask in!
Old 21 December 2016, 07:26 PM   #74
nick h
Banned

Watch: rolex 16200/116231
i considered one for use in the UK and they are just too warm for even our coldest days (Expedition parka)

also they are not waterproof and that is essential over here

i have opted for the layered approach with Woolpower base and the Snugpak middle layer (your military guys love these) and an outer layer of Swazi from New Zealand

Swazi are the best of anything i have ever worn for shooting/fishing - they are really waterproof
nick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 05:38 AM   #75
towernick
Banned

Quote:

Why do you recommend bypassing Moncler/Parajumpers?
towernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 06:34 AM   #76
Omnibus
"TRF" Member

Watch: rlx
i don't know about CG but i have recently bought a Joutsen down coat .... made in Finland, very well made, n very light in weight compared to other brands. weight is important as i don't want to put a lot of strain to my shoulders, knees, n ankles

that said i only wear it comfortably at subzero temp coz otherwise it could be too warm .... though it's a perfect tool for windchill conditions

here's the model i have :
http://zefirosapporo.blog133.fc2.com...ntry-1603.html
Omnibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 06:41 AM   #77
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

The PP of jackets
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:28 AM   #78
Syed117
"TRF" Member

It's crazy how popular they are here in NYC.

I work in midtown and I see at least a few hundred people wearing one every single day.

That patch is everywhere.

I thought about getting one, but I've always been an overcoat kind of guy.

I wonder if there are still people Protesting outside the store in soho.
Old 22 December 2016, 12:02 PM   #79
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

I work in midtown and I see at least a few hundred people wearing one every single day.

People protest jackets?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 12:06 PM   #80
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

I love the Canada Goose parka's but went for a different brand because of this. In Toronto I see them more often than I would like, unfortunately. Thankfully they have store exclusives (Harry Rosen, Sporting Life etc) to help this. Maybe in a year or two I'll consider it if some new styles and colours appeal and are less common at the time.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 01:24 PM   #81
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
People protest jackets?
Animal cruelty. I'm a bit of a jerk. I protest domesticated animal violence only
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 01:37 PM   #82
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by towernick View Post
Why do you recommend bypassing Moncler/Parajumpers?
That wasn't intended as a general recommendation. It was tailored advice for those who think Canada Goose is too common. My reasoning is that Moncler is also a common brand, and Parajumpers is similar to Canada Goose in style/quality.

In another sense, Canada Goose is arguably the king of its price range, and so the best way to differentiate might be heading up market
Old 22 December 2016, 01:56 PM   #83
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
That wasn't intended as a general recommendation. It was tailored advice for those who think Canada Goose is too common. My reasoning is that Moncler is also a common brand, and Parajumpers is similar to Canada Goose in style/quality.

In another sense, Canada Goose is arguably the king of its price range, and so the best way to differentiate might be heading up market
Not sure I see the correlation between the two, one is a fashion piece and one is serious cold weather gear, I know some do only buy CG for the patch but I don't think people who are willing to pay for 700 for a an arctic parka are going to turn around and spend 4K for a jacket that's less utilitarian and more exclusive just because fewer people have them? JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 03:37 PM   #84
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
People protest jackets?
It's the real coyote fur that Canada Goose uses as most others use a fake fur.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 December 2016, 07:35 PM   #85
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
It's the real coyote fur that Canada Goose uses as most others use a fake fur.
OK. People do protest the darndest things though. Do they know that the geese are dispatched to obtain the down, or is it just the canids that deserve their protection?

I've had both synthetic fur and real fur hood trim and the real fur feels better and lasts longer IMO.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 09:20 PM   #86
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK. People do protest the darndest things though. Do they know that the geese are dispatched to obtain the down, or is it just the canids that deserve their protection?

I've had both synthetic fur and real fur hood trim and the real fur feels better and lasts longer IMO.
Right and the real fur does a better job. Actually it's duck down and not geese or goose down. Goose our geese down is more expensive. From what I've read and remember which may or may not be true is that the coyotes are trapped or killed and I have no idea how the ducks are plucked. Hey, you don't have to convince me, and I mean it's not called Canada Goose for nothing. LOL

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 December 2016, 11:08 PM   #87
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I am always hot so I tend to layer. I am generally always good in the coldest of weather with a sweatshirt, wool sweater jacket and if needed a Filson waxed canvas outer layer to stay dry.

I have a big bulky north face with a zip out lining and it is too much coat for me most of the time.

Doesn't generally get that cold in central Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2016, 02:54 PM   #88
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

I just scored this shearling ferragamo jacket and I am so enamored with it I couldn't help but share with my trf brethren. I was returning from holiday out of town and my wife dragged me into a mall. I thought maybe I'd find some nice boots but alas nothing grabbed me. Then this beauty caught my eye and I was in love!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27 December 2016, 03:08 PM   #89
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
I own 4 of them, so does my wife, the absolute best winter gear you'll ever find.
I get a hefty discount from my employer, so I'm always buying either snow pants, jackets or vests , my whole family is rocking that gear:)

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2016, 03:23 PM   #90
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Protest this:

Edit: fuck photobucket