The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 November 2018, 05:47 AM   #121
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
I had a Canada goose jacket also but i brought it back iT was to warm for me. I keep iT with my stone island jackets.
Old 28 November 2018, 05:49 AM   #122
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

I have a Woolrich Arctic Parka and it fits great, has a fantastic hood and is just overall perfekt for me. Highly recommended
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 06:05 AM   #123
rickc007
"TRF" Member

Mindst I ask how the fit was different on the Chilliwack and Borden

Some day the Borden is "boxey" and the Chilliwack roomier

P.S. the new this years model Chilliwack has removable fur from the hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I was lucky at the time because I was able to try both the Chilliwack and Borden on at the same time. I was unable to get a good fit with the Chilliwack and besides the you can take the fur off on the Borden where you can’t with the Chillieack.
rickc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 06:08 AM   #124
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

So have these always been what the "cool kids" wear or is it a "thing"?

Asking for a friend..
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 06:11 AM   #125
rickc007
"TRF" Member

From I gathered, they were the real thing, then became trendy, then venture capitalists bought them, then the price and marketing went up ....

And here we are.
I swear by them though, warmest jacket I've ever owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
So have these always been what the "cool kids" wear or is it a "thing"?

Asking for a friend..
rickc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 10:13 AM   #126
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
From I gathered, they were the real thing, then became trendy, then venture capitalists bought them, then the price and marketing went up ....

And here we are.
This

And the fact they have a lifetime guarantee. I am glad they haven’t become overwhelmingly popular where I live at least not yet.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:41 PM   #127
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post

And here we are.
Thanks...I might need a jacket like 5x a year....maybe less, so I would never know what's "cool" in winter wear or not..

I remember when I was a youth, I went to visit family in NY during Christmas. We didn't have coats here like what I would need, so I borrowed some hand me down stuff to get me through.

At the time (late 1980's) the "cool" kids were wearing these wild, colorful ski jackets and such. Needless to say, walking around i didn't fit in at all. Definitely was made fun of and laughed at for not having "the" jacket....I didn't care though as I had no use for one when I left...but I totally understand the jacket "snobbery" deal....at least these seem to be a great product regardless of the status symbol vibe.
Old 28 November 2018, 09:07 PM   #128
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks...I might need a jacket like 5x a year....maybe less, so I would never know what's "cool" in winter wear or not..

I remember when I was a youth, I went to visit family in NY during Christmas. We didn't have coats here like what I would need, so I borrowed some hand me down stuff to get me through.

At the time (late 1980's) the "cool" kids were wearing these wild, colorful ski jackets and such. Needless to say, walking around i didn't fit in at all. Definitely was made fun of and laughed at for not having "the" jacket....I didn't care though as I had no use for one when I left...but I totally understand the jacket "snobbery" deal....at least these seem to be a great product regardless of the status symbol vibe.
Well if you do end up getting one pay very close attention to sizing and fit. Some coats are made for extreme temperatures and they do so by being larger than normal so you can layer underneath and this is one thing some people miss when ordering one. If you don't need that extreme protection you can often order something a bit smaller however this is not always the case for parkas not designed for extreme temperatures and depending on fit. Generally speaking it is usually best to try one of these on in person. In years past the nature of how Canada Goose worked by this time of year it was not only difficult to find one online let alone in person. Due to popularity it may very well be easier to find some to look at.

There are three good places online to get a better idea as to what you are looking at and dealing with as Canada Goose at the time I initially made my first purchase to rate their garments by weather. The Canada Goose website, Amazon for user ratings, and Moose Jaw for good user feedback on sizing advice and user ratings. If you buy from an authorized website as your supposed to for making sure your coat is covered by warrantee and because you'll hardly ever find these coats go on sale. I did one year only because that site was discontinuing their relationship and this is the only reason you will ever see them on sale. Sort of and just like Rolex and ADs.

Because they do rate their coats by temperature it would give you an idea as to whether or not they may have one which may or may not work for you.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 November 2018, 04:54 PM   #129
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
I prefer Woolrich Rich and bros. All these big round Canada goose logos on their jackets look out of place
Old 30 November 2018, 12:11 AM   #130
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
I prefer Woolrich Rich and bros. All these big round Canada goose logos on their jackets look out of place
Yeah, I could do without the patch myself. But it kind of is what it is.

The coats you mention do look fairly nice however with only a 60 day quality guarantee vs the lifetime guarantee that Canada Goose offers I think I would still lean towards Canada Goose.

Still like the weather or temperature ratings that Canada Goose offers. Also it appears that Woolrich uses a certain percentage of feathers for fill when down is actually supposed to be better. Unless it's because it's the cheaper alternative. I have to then also wonder about other materials that they actually use. When doing my research a few years ago that's kind of the same thing I found with other brands in this price range. They just didn't offer the same quality that Canada Goose offered.

Nice looking coats but I think I'll stick with the ugly patch.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 30 November 2018, 12:59 AM   #131
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I live in Minnesota, where winter temps can be -30 to -45 degrees F. I work at a ski resort and spend a lot of time outdoors. I've always preferred layering over a single heavy jacket like the Canada Goose. I've been able to stay warm by using wicking underwear and layers of fleece, down and Gortex.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 01:02 AM   #132
Star Ferry
Banned

for any shorter guys they have a "Fusion Fit" based on the build of East Asians. A canada goose M is too long for me but a Fusion L fits me perfectly. Unfortunately they don't sell black label in Fusion so you are stuck with the red patch.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 01:06 AM   #133
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I live in Minnesota, where winter temps can be -30 to -45 degrees F. I work at a ski resort and spend a lot of time outdoors. I've always preferred layering over a single heavy jacket like the Canada Goose. I've been able to stay warm by using wicking underwear and layers of fleece, down and Gortex.
And that is also what I did in the early eighties in the military when participating in cold weather training in Alaska. But considering I'm no longer as active or looking to conduct cold weather training these coats work pretty good for me since I am just looking to stay warm.

Actually the protection some of them could provide is based on layering but here again I don't need the extreme protection either.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 30 November 2018, 01:39 AM   #134
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Here's a review I just found when searching the internet.

http://norwaygeographical.com/canada-goose-vs-woolrich/

And here is the last paragraph of that review.

3. Which One Is Better?
This is always a tricky question as the answer depends on what you are looking for, clearly.
With that being said, if you want a more refined, classic and stylish brand that is versatile in product designs and most importantly, price, then Woolrich has an advantage in that regard.
Canada Goose, however, passes with flying colors when it comes to performance, warmth and functionality, because of their practical and “sporty” jackets. So insulation-wise, Canada Goose is an absolute winner regardless of what brand it is put up against.
But, if you don’t live up north and the temperatures don’t drop quite so low as to require the insulation of a Canada Goose jacket, then Woolrich is definitely the better option.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 30 November 2018, 02:20 AM   #135
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well if you do end up getting one pay very close attention to sizing and fit. Some coats are made for extreme temperatures and they do so by being larger than normal so you can layer underneath and this is one thing some people miss when ordering one. If you don't need that extreme protection you can often order something a bit smaller however this is not always the case for parkas not designed for extreme temperatures and depending on fit. Generally speaking it is usually best to try one of these on in person. In years past the nature of how Canada Goose worked by this time of year it was not only difficult to find one online let alone in person. Due to popularity it may very well be easier to find some to look at.

There are three good places online to get a better idea as to what you are looking at and dealing with as Canada Goose at the time I initially made my first purchase to rate their garments by weather. The Canada Goose website, Amazon for user ratings, and Moose Jaw for good user feedback on sizing advice and user ratings. If you buy from an authorized website as your supposed to for making sure your coat is covered by warrantee and because you'll hardly ever find these coats go on sale. I did one year only because that site was discontinuing their relationship and this is the only reason you will ever see them on sale. Sort of and just like Rolex and ADs.

Because they do rate their coats by temperature it would give you an idea as to whether or not they may have one which may or may not work for you.
Thanks! I would never have know that, so the info is a big help
Old 30 November 2018, 02:32 AM   #136
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! I would never have know that, so the info is a big help

No problem, hopefully it was helpful. By the way it can be very difficult depending where your located to find a decent selection of models to make these decisions. However it's still worth trying whatever they have on in person to get a better idea of what we are talking about in person. However there are certain retailers like Moose Jaw who will do returns as long as the coat has not been ruined or the tags have not been taken off.

Also it's worth it to get a model where the fur can be taken off for cleaning purposes. Not all models offer that option. Sometimes that option for that type of style or protection can cost significantly more.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 30 November 2018, 03:16 AM   #137
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Thanks for share. By the way, there is two different Woolrich brands - American and European. The first is made in China, the second - in Moldavia and Canada. I own European but as I heard there no big difference in warmth and quality
Quote:
“If you aren’t totally clear on the brand structure, there’s Woolrich, then Woolrich Woolen Mills and finally Woolrich John, Rich & Bros. The first is the main U.S. brand, the later two are the product of the geniuses of Italy’s WP. If you aren’t familiar with WP, they are the Italian distributor for Barbour, the global distributor of Woolrich and the owner of various other brands ”
https://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010...ohn-rich-bros/
Anyway, CG are great jackets and not always excessively warm. They have really city models (Langford, Citadel)
Me personally dislike that here in Moscow, GC became the winter uniform of pretentious people
Old 30 November 2018, 03:30 AM   #138
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for share. By the way, there is two different Woolrich brands - American and European. The first is made in China, the second - in Moldavia and Canada. I own European but as I heard there no big difference in warmth and quality
Quote:
“If you aren’t totally clear on the brand structure, there’s Woolrich, then Woolrich Woolen Mills and finally Woolrich John, Rich & Bros. The first is the main U.S. brand, the later two are the product of the geniuses of Italy’s WP. If you aren’t familiar with WP, they are the Italian distributor for Barbour, the global distributor of Woolrich and the owner of various other brands ”
https://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010...ohn-rich-bros/
Anyway, CG are great jackets and not always excessively warm. They have really city models (Langford, Citadel)
Me personally dislike that here in Moscow, GC became the winter uniform of pretentious people

Thank you and thanks for the information as well.

Really not unlike what Rolex is known for by some people as well. But I tend to think most items that cost more can tend to get this reputation. But generally speaking I find you often have to spend more to get more and that's just the way it is.

Honestly I could do without the patch (or the identifier) but as I said previously I am glad they have yet to become that popular or well known where I currently live. Not unlike the fact that hardy anyone recognizes what watch I am wearing. Sure I talk about it here but generally speaking it's all under the radar when I wear it in person. They look nice and they are extremely warm and are well made and this is what means most to me.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 30 November 2018, 04:02 AM   #139
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

I agree, Rolex and CG have something in common. Probably my next jacket will be CG: I saw models with monochrome logos
Old 30 November 2018, 04:11 AM   #140
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree, Rolex and CG have something in common. Probably my next jacket will be CG: I saw models with monochrome logos
Often this forum has been a great place to learn about a decent number of good products. Personally when I purchase things of this nature however I often take sometime and do some research first. I encourage others to do the same because what works for me may not work for you and you may just discover something I missed.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 30 November 2018, 04:54 AM   #141
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
+1. Minnesota can get brutal some years. Ive found that layering reigns supreme. Especially with a WOOL baselayer, you can stay regulated in varying cold temps. This is essential in cold weather, as many who live in cold weather know...overheating/sweating is bad news. Once you start sweating its nearly impossible to stay warm in the cold.

My personal favorite is icebreaker/smartwool/minus33 superthin wool baselayer with a fleece (polartec windpro if you can find it) midlayer. This works in temps down to 30f. Adding an eVent fabric coat on top of the fleece is perfect for skiing as its light years ahead of Gore-tex in terms of waterproofing and more importantly - breathing (something gore-tex never did- LOL).

Never tried on a CG jacket but Im going to make it point this winter.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 04:57 AM   #142
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Often this forum has been a great place to learn about a decent number of good products.....:
Yes, and Ive learned about a few from you Dan- Thanks!
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 03:36 PM   #143
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
+1. Minnesota can get brutal some years. Ive found that layering reigns supreme. Especially with a WOOL baselayer, you can stay regulated in varying cold temps. This is essential in cold weather, as many who live in cold weather know...overheating/sweating is bad news. Once you start sweating its nearly impossible to stay warm in the cold.

My personal favorite is icebreaker/smartwool/minus33 superthin wool baselayer with a fleece (polartec windpro if you can find it) midlayer. This works in temps down to 30f. Adding an eVent fabric coat on top of the fleece is perfect for skiing as its light years ahead of Gore-tex in terms of waterproofing and more importantly - breathing (something gore-tex never did- LOL).

Never tried on a CG jacket but Im going to make it point this winter.
When participating in cold weather training in Alaska they actually presented us with some of this information when we initially got there. It's been decades now as it was the early eighties but the thing that still sticks in my head is that its a really really bad thing to get wet in these extreme temperatures. In fact we took time out when moving long distances to change socks if needed to avoid wearing wet socks. Especially important when you stopped moving. Whenever working extremely hard and you could and would want to in the cold I would always ventilate and unzip or unbutton various layers so I wouldn't perspire or perspire as much.

In fact this is one environment where the army provided you with an overabundance of food or calories because of all the calories you were likely to burn as you carried so much gear and worked so extremely hard.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 30 November 2018, 03:36 PM   #144
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Yes, and Ive learned about a few from you Dan- Thanks!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 30 November 2018, 05:19 PM   #145
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi all,

This cold spell has gone on long enough.

We have plenty of room for all of you in South Australia.

See y’all soon?

E.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 05:19 PM   #146
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Hi all,

This cold spell has gone on long enough.

We have plenty of room for all of you in South Australia.

See y’all soon?

E.

Too hot, I'd melt
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 12:15 AM   #147
gabrielnovar
"TRF" Member

Moncler
gabrielnovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 12:37 AM   #148
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielnovar View Post
Moncler

Canada Goose vs Moncier.

I just want to put it out there for these reviews all I am doing is typing in Canada Goose vs Whatever and going with the first review I think is reasonable. Now if I where actually considering a Moncier I might dig even deeper and find even more reviews, however since I'm not seriously even considering a Moncier I just took the first review I found.

https://www.garmentcare.com/blog/mon...experts-review

Biggest con against Moncier in my opinion besides just costing more is that it doesn't come with a Lifetime Warranty. That and they are much more difficult to clean so it's sounds much less functional and durable in my opinion. So stylish maybe, functional not so much.

Last portion of the review.

So, which do we recommend?
If your primary concern is warmth and durability during the freezing cold winters of New York City, then we absolutely recommend going with Canada Goose. For about half the price, you get one of the warmest coats in the world, and a lifetime warranty on top of that. We recommend going for the full-length models, which drop below the thigh. Zipping up your coyote-fur lined hood, we promise you’ll be absolutely good to go while you wait on desperately long lines in sub-freezing temperatures. Despite Moncler’s origins as an expedition-tested brand, we found that Canada Goose is more weatherproof, durable, and heavy (in a good way) than its more expensive counterpart.
On the other hand...
If you prefer form over function, the Moncler brand offers some of the most beautifully styled jackets in the world, with marginal loss in terms of warmth. Some may argue that the sharp, slim fits combined with eye-catching patterns and finishes easily make up for Moncler’s slightly less rugged construction. If you are a seasoned designer wearer, conscious of how to wear expensive garments, you won't have a problem with Moncler's more delicate finish. However, we definitely would not recommend skiing with your Moncler jacket, as getting it cleaned or restored is no small feat. As beautiful as your designer jacket may look, you won’t want to wear it during rain or inclement weather.

Finally, it may be worth noting that the garment specialists at Meurice are expertly trained in cleaning, restoring, and finishing luxury down jackets. We take great pride in our work and offer some of the best service in the NYC metro area. If you have a Moncler or Canada Goose jacket that needs cleaning, give us a call and we'll set you up with a quote and even a free pick up and delivery depending on your area.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 1 December 2018, 01:09 AM   #149
nick c
Banned

As a loyal customer of Canada Goose, I love they’re jackets and accessories. Here is my collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 01:49 AM   #150
Syed117
"TRF" Member

So my dad got his Langford parka in military green and he loves it. Very happy and I think I can finally get him to donate his 15 random other jackets.

I ended up ordering a woolrich parka. Ordered a large and an extra large. Hopefully one of them will fit well. They don't have a lifetime warranty and that was my main reason for wanting a CG, but I've read good things. Let's see how it goes.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote