The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 January 2019, 07:24 AM   #31
rolstaff
Banned

Watch: GMT
Could somebody please help me with the serial range of a white 1680 MK I dial ??

Is up to 6.0 mio correct ? Did production stop earlier ??
rolstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:28 AM   #32
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Hi all three white Mk's were used throughout the production of the white 1680's so a Mk1 dial in a late serial number 1680 around 6m would be possible.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 09:41 AM   #33
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Dear Experts,

I am about to buy one 1680 5.4mil.

My bet is it's a MK1, but date wheel is white which is bothering me.

Is it really a MK1 and is a white date wheel acceptable?

Thank you so much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex-Submariner-1680-W2217_1aaaa.jpg (66.1 KB, 576 views)
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 03:40 PM   #34
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedssd View Post
ROLEX 1680 WHITE ORIGINAL AND SERVICE DIALS

Much has been written about the Red 1680 dials but in terms of both the original White dials and Service replacement dials, there are some great threads on the forum but no overall summary and some areas particularly in respect of service dials are not set out in a single thread.

White 1680’s will never achieve the market values of Red’s but in the UK at least they are becoming much harder to find. As I type there are just three White 1680’s for sale in the UK on Chrono 24. One is a Red with a White Service dial, another a White with a Service dial, leaving just one White with an original dial.

I don’t profess to be an expert, just someone with a sad obsession for the White 1680 dials and I know that there are members with extensive knowledge, who will be able to provide further input. I must warn you that the more you stare at the dials, the more the text seems to move!

It would be remiss of me not to set out right at the start, that so much of my research led me to work previously conducted by Marchello Pisani and without his incredible knowledge much of what follows would not have been possible.

ORIGINAL DIALS

Rolex did not manufacture the dials for the White1680 and instead used the dial manufacturers Lemrich and Beyeler. Three different dials were produced commonly referred to as Marks 1,2 and 3. All three Marks of dial are found in watches across the entire serial number range for White 1680’s, so they were in use simultaneously, rather than one Mark following another.

Mk1

The Mk1 dial was made by Lemrich, key points to note are the shape of the Coronet with long spikes and a small mass of white at the bottom; the L in Rolex centred underneath the coronet, the sixes in 660 are closed and directly underneath the SUB of Submariner. The F in ft is quite upright.

The back of Lemrich 1680 dials have a stamped set of numbers that begin with 121

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483458840

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483458840

Mk2

The Mk2 dial was made by Beyeler, key points to note are the shape of the Coronet with shorter spikes and a larger mass of white at the bottom; the L in Rolex is positioned to the left of the centre underneath the coronet, the sixes in 660 are closed and on a line of text that is shorter than SUBMARINER above. The F in ft starts directly under the right end of the letter M above, whereas on the Mk1 and Mk3 it starts in the middle of the letter M above.

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483457322

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483457322

Mk3

The Mk3 dial was also made by Lemrich and is very similar to the Mk1, with the same shaped Coronet with long spikes and a small mass of white at the bottom. The main difference from the Mk1 is that the L in Rolex is to the left of centre and the F in ft has more of a slope than the Mk1. Like the Mk1 the sixes in 660 are closed and directly underneath the SUB of Submariner. The back of the dial has a stamped set of numbers beginning with 121 as per the Mk1.

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483457594

WHITE 1680 SERVICE DIALS

All the White Service Dials were manufactured by Beyeler and then from around the mid 90’s by Rolex themselves (Beyeler was taken over by Rolex in 2000).

The evolution of Beyeler dial backs is important in evidencing that the service dials were made after the White 1680 had ceased production and so could not have been originally installed.

The following thread by Marchello, sets out the evolution of Beyeler dial backs and from that what an original 1680 White dial back would look like compared to the later produced service dials.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=193211

Originally installed White Mk2 dials had the repeating Beyeler Geneve punch shown above.

Beyeler’s punch then changed to numerical and letter B

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483457781

Then to a single letter B

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483457891

Then Rolex produced dials that looked like this

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483457980

There are three basic designs of 1680 White Service Dial, which I’ll denote as Types A,B and C, so as not to confuse with the original dial Marks.

Type A

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483458109

The coronet is different to both the Lemrich and Beyeler dials but has some similarities to the Lemrich original. The L in Rolex is to the left of centre of the coronet. The sixes in 660 are closed. The most obvious difference to the original dials is on the text line below SUBMARINER, in particular the narrow spacing either side of the = sign and the top of the letter F starting under the letter A in SUBMARINER.

Type B

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483458211

This is the same as the Type A but has clearly open sixes compared to the closed or virtually closed sixes in the Type A.

Type C

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483458352

This service dial closely resembles the Mk2 Bayeler original dial, with the same coronet and general layout of wording on the dial, including the wider spacing around the = sign as seen on the original. The most obvious difference is that the original dial has closed sixes, whereas the service dial has open sixes in 660, as can be seen above.

Sometimes the variations of the dial printing process makes the distinctions between open and closed sixes less obvious, with some original dials having sixes that appear ever so slightly open and some open sixes appearing almost closed.

There are some more subtle differences between the original Mk2 and Type C service dial, to help differentiate.

Below are images with an Original dial on top and Service dial below it for comparison:

http://www.rolexforums.com/attachmen...1&d=1483458530

Key differences include the much narrower gap between the third and fourth lines of text on the Service dial and Swiss T being slightly closer to the minute markers with < touching the marker.

Tritium ‘Toothpaste” and Luminova

Whilst there are three basic design types of service dial, they were each made with either Tritium, Luminova or “Toothpaste” applied to the markers. Toothpaste refers to a creamy toothpaste like substance that has the appearance of tritium, that was applied to the plots to look the same but without any form of luminescence.

In addition Service dials can be marked SWISS or SWISS - T < 25, the latter even if they are not Tritium.

I've had a few technical difficulties, so if the photo's are duplicated below please ignore them until I can edit again :)
What are your thoughts on this dial is it a service dial??

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Stone cold sober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 06:30 PM   #35
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately the hour hand is obstructing the key parts of dial text to be sure, can you post another photo with the lower text unobstructed.
Old 11 August 2019, 06:40 PM   #36
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
Nothing beats a 1680 with a fresh dial, I know its not "vintage" anymore, but that iconic case, the plexi and a nice bright dial are a stunning combination.
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2019, 07:24 PM   #37
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all three white Mk's were used throughout the production of the white 1680's so a Mk1 dial in a late serial number 1680 around 6m would be possible.
Steve thank you so much ... Yes serial is 5,957***.. do I understand correctly this would most likely have been the original mk1 dial...I had the hands colour matched ... Regards Mark

Old 11 August 2019, 07:35 PM   #38
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately the hour hand is obstructing the key parts of dial text to be sure, can you post another photo with the lower text unobstructed.
What are your thoughts

Old 12 August 2019, 02:24 AM   #39
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

This is an interesting one, as I initially thought with the lower text covered and what appear to be bright white plots that it was as service dial. Looking at the dial with the text unobstructed, it is a Mk1 Dial. Interesting that you have had the hands finished to match the dial. It appears from the photo's that the hands and dial are white, not sure if that is in fact the case. Whilst the dial is a Mk1, the plots are very thick and particularly if they are white, could possibly have been refinished, I emphasise possibly, as micro photo's may or may not indicate that to be the case.
Old 12 August 2019, 03:52 AM   #40
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is an interesting one, as I initially thought with the lower text covered and what appear to be bright white plots that it was as service dial. Looking at the dial with the text unobstructed, it is a Mk1 Dial. Interesting that you have had the hands finished to match the dial. It appears from the photo's that the hands and dial are white, not sure if that is in fact the case. Whilst the dial is a Mk1, the plots are very thick and particularly if they are white, could possibly have been refinished, I emphasise possibly, as micro photo's may or may not indicate that to be the case.
Most appreciated

Old 12 August 2019, 08:58 PM   #41
sfc rick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Sub in white
Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterquartz17000 View Post
Nothing beats a 1680 with a fresh dial, I know its not "vintage" anymore, but that iconic case, the plexi and a nice bright dial are a stunning combination.
Totally agree, those who see my watch are shocked at it's age and pristine condition. It makes a stunning daily wear Rolex 1680 Sub-in-white! After years on my wrist I couldn't even think about another watch... well maybe a Hulk, Smurf, LOL! But only for a few brief moments.

sfc rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 09:07 PM   #42
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfc rick View Post
Totally agree, those who see my watch are shocked at it's age and pristine condition. It makes a stunning daily wear Rolex 1680 Sub-in-white! After years on my wrist I couldn't even think about another watch... well maybe a Hulk, Smurf, LOL! But only for a few brief moments.

Yes totally agree 1680 white a classic in waiting. In relative terms inexpensive.... Hulk is a Hype mostly because it's so hard to get.. Not saying it's not a nice Watch.. I am lucky enough to have 1680 both Red and White.

Old 13 August 2019, 04:51 AM   #43
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

^ That is a lovely pair of 1680's

Now in that photo I can see the patina on the White 1680 dial, looks great and as nature intended
Old 13 August 2019, 04:54 AM   #44
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I've seen previous photo's of your White with the service dial and hands it is indeed a lovely watch and a perfect daily wearer, much better than a Hulk
Old 13 August 2019, 06:34 AM   #45
sfc rick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've seen previous photo's of your White with the service dial and hands it is indeed a lovely watch and a perfect daily wearer, much better than a Hulk
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 13 August 2019, 06:45 AM   #46
1675-David
"TRF" Member

my white service dial...

1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 10:21 AM   #47
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Just got mine serviced, but refused anything done to the dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D053E7D8-8FCA-45F1-964B-950091658496.jpeg (118.6 KB, 416 views)
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 11:32 AM   #48
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks!

It's not a service dial Bro observe the L centered under the crown.

Old 20 August 2019, 05:45 PM   #49
Jussbodenkamp
"TRF" Member

I came along this 1680, mk2 dial?

Hello all.

I am new here and reading this really nice and interesting topic.
I came along this 1680. 1977.
From my understanding the dial is an MK2 if i am reading this correct. But the hands are I think serviced. When you professionals look at these pictures what are you're thoughts.

Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1680PSD.jpg (239.9 KB, 404 views)
Jussbodenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 07:12 AM   #50
sfc rick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone cold sober View Post
It's not a service dial Bro observe the L centered under the crown.

I'm thinking you might have quoted my post by accident. Because it's very clear I have a service dial on my 1680. Here is a close up showing the obvious features of a service dial.

Old 29 August 2019, 06:19 PM   #51
DerbyCopa
"TRF" Member

impressive contribution. great job.
DerbyCopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 11:22 AM   #52
JCBR
"TRF" Member

I love this forum and specially this topic. Hard not to make me want a 1680 now. Thank you guys for taking the time to put all this info together and for answering questions. Thanks again.
JCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2019, 02:33 PM   #53
Futuristic
Banned

Great job, thanks!!
Futuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 03:44 PM   #54
hkbufga
"TRF" Member

nice
hkbufga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 11:14 PM   #55
XavierM
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone,

I have heard from different quite serious collectors that the Mk3 dial should only be found at the end of the production period of the 1680.
Considering that Mk1 and Mk3 were both manufactured by Lemrich, I would say it is quite a logical statement.
Finding a Mk1 dial on a late 1680 could simply be explained by the fact that they were some left over parts from the pre Mk3 dial period.
Does anyone have a rough SN from when it would be acceptable to find a MK3 dial fitted on a watch ?

Thanks again for the amazing job done by the OP !

Kind regards,
XavierM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 06:56 AM   #56
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierM View Post
Hi everyone,

I have heard from different quite serious collectors that the Mk3 dial should only be found at the end of the production period of the 1680.
Considering that Mk1 and Mk3 were both manufactured by Lemrich, I would say it is quite a logical statement.
Finding a Mk1 dial on a late 1680 could simply be explained by the fact that they were some left over parts from the pre Mk3 dial period.
Does anyone have a rough SN from when it would be acceptable to find a MK3 dial fitted on a watch ?

Thanks again for the amazing job done by the OP !

Kind regards,
I thought I'd have a look at this in more detail with some time over the holidays.

The basis for understanding that the three different 1680 White dials were in circulation simultaneously, was from information in other threads on the forum such as:

This thread by Haywood Milton, plus the original work on Haywood’s website

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ite+1680+dials

https://www.miltonaires.com/4499/two...ate-submariner

and this one with invaluable input from Marchello Pisani

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...rchello+Pisani

There has also been the consistent appearance of all three dial variations across the serial number range for White 1680’s both on this forum and in relation to watches for sale over the past few years.

So I’ve spent a while going through historical posts and looking at watches that have been advertised for sale on line that have details of the serial number and dial.

From this I’ve listed a total of sixty one 1680 White’s in serial number order (where the numbers are partial, I’ve listed those with missing digits first). It’s in a basic list format, as I’m unsure how the text will convert when posted to the forum.

As you can see from the list, it appears that the Mk l dial was in circulation from the introduction of the White 1680’s towards the end of the 3m serial range and the first Mk ll in the list starts at 5.0m. Both dials are in use in White 1680’s from serial number 5.0m to 5.4m and the first Mk lll is seen from 5.4m onwards, with all three dials then all in use until the end of 1680 production around the 6.15m serial range.

Of course 61 watches is a small sample and so there may be some watches with the Mk ll and Mk lll dials, with earlier serial numbers than those shown.

It would be interesting to see if the approximate 5.0m and 5.4m serial numbers for Mk ll and Mk lll dials is supported by member’s own watches or if the serial number range is in fact slightly different to this. It would be great to see photos of White 1680 dials and details of the serial number’s first three or four digits, to get a better picture.

Irrespective of the exact serial numbers where Mk ll and Mk lll dials were used, the list below does support previous threads and thinking in that, unlike the 1680 Reds, all three of the White dial versions were in use at the same time.

Haywood’s thread also shows a Mk l and Mk ll with provenance, that were both purchased at the end of the White 1680 run, supporting that the earlier dials were used in 1680 watches right to the end.

Now the list:

38xxxxx Mk 1
39xxxxx Mk 1
39xxxxx Mk 1
39xxxxx Mk 1
39xxxxx Mk 1
399xxxx Mk 1
3997xxx Mk 1
421xxxx Mk 1
438xxxx Mk 1
503xxxx Mk 2
5036869 Mk 1
506xxxx Mk 1
51xxxxx Mk 1
52xxxxx Mk 2
522xxxx Mk 1
5232xxx Mk 1
5232xxx Mk 2
5263xxx Mk 1
528xxxx Mk 2
5280xxx Mk 2
5294989 Mk 2
53xxxxx Mk 2
5350xxx Mk 2
5350xxx Mk 2
5368xxx Mk 1
537xxxx Mk 2
54xxxxx Mk 1
54xxxxx Mk 1
54xxxxx Mk 2
54xxxxx Mk 1
54xxxxx Mk 3
541xxxx Mk 2
5426344 Mk 3
5447xxx Mk 3
5513693 Mk 3
56xxxxx Mk 2
56xxxxx Mk 3
56xxxxx Mk 3
56xxxxx Mk 2
5609002 Mk 3
561xxxx Mk 3
57xxxxx Mk 2
58xxxxx Mk 1
586xxxx Mk 2
5861xxx Mk 1
58611xx Mk 3
5862xxx Mk 1
5862xxx Mk 1
5864968 Mk 2
5899322 Mk 2
59xxxxx Mk 2
59xxxxx Mk 3
59xxxxx Mk 1
60xxxxx Mk 3
609xxxx Mk 2
61xxxxx Mk 1
61xxxxx Mk 1
61xxxxx Mk 2
61228** Mk 2
615xxxx Mk 1
61524xx Mk 2

Thanks a lot
Old 31 December 2019, 08:04 AM   #57
Stone cold sober
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought I'd have a look at this in more detail with some time over the holidays.

The basis for understanding that the three different 1680 White dials were in circulation simultaneously, was from information in other threads on the forum such as:

This thread by Haywood Milton, plus the original work on Haywood’s website

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ite+1680+dials

https://www.miltonaires.com/4499/two...ate-submariner

and this one with invaluable input from Marchello Pisani

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...rchello+Pisani

There has also been the consistent appearance of all three dial variations across the serial number range for White 1680’s both on this forum and in relation to watches for sale over the past few years.

So I’ve spent a while going through historical posts and looking at watches that have been advertised for sale on line that have details of the serial number and dial.

From this I’ve listed a total of sixty one 1680 White’s in serial number order (where the numbers are partial, I’ve listed those with missing digits first). It’s in a basic list format, as I’m unsure how the text will convert when posted to the forum.

As you can see from the list, it appears that the Mk l dial was in circulation from the introduction of the White 1680’s towards the end of the 3m serial range and the first Mk ll in the list starts at 5.0m. Both dials are in use in White 1680’s from serial number 5.0m to 5.4m and the first Mk lll is seen from 5.4m onwards, with all three dials then all in use until the end of 1680 production around the 6.15m serial range.

Of course 61 watches is a small sample and so there may be some watches with the Mk ll and Mk lll dials, with earlier serial numbers than those shown.

It would be interesting to see if the approximate 5.0m and 5.4m serial numbers for Mk ll and Mk lll dials is supported by member’s own watches or if the serial number range is in fact slightly different to this. It would be great to see photos of White 1680 dials and details of the serial number’s first three or four digits, to get a better picture.

Irrespective of the exact serial numbers where Mk ll and Mk lll dials were used, the list below does support previous threads and thinking in that, unlike the 1680 Reds, all three of the White dial versions were in use at the same time.

Haywood’s thread also shows a Mk l and Mk ll with provenance, that were both purchased at the end of the White 1680 run, supporting that the earlier dials were used in 1680 watches right to the end.

Now the list:

38xxxxx Mk 1

39xxxxx Mk 1

39xxxxx Mk 1

39xxxxx Mk 1

39xxxxx Mk 1

399xxxx Mk 1

3997xxx Mk 1

421xxxx Mk 1

438xxxx Mk 1

503xxxx Mk 2

5036869 Mk 1

506xxxx Mk 1

51xxxxx Mk 1

52xxxxx Mk 2

522xxxx Mk 1

5232xxx Mk 1

5232xxx Mk 2

5263xxx Mk 1

528xxxx Mk 2

5280xxx Mk 2

5294989 Mk 2

53xxxxx Mk 2

5350xxx Mk 2

5350xxx Mk 2

5368xxx Mk 1

537xxxx Mk 2

54xxxxx Mk 1

54xxxxx Mk 1

54xxxxx Mk 2

54xxxxx Mk 1

54xxxxx Mk 3

541xxxx Mk 2

5426344 Mk 3

5447xxx Mk 3

5513693 Mk 3

56xxxxx Mk 2

56xxxxx Mk 3

56xxxxx Mk 3

56xxxxx Mk 2

5609002 Mk 3

561xxxx Mk 3

57xxxxx Mk 2

58xxxxx Mk 1

586xxxx Mk 2

5861xxx Mk 1

58611xx Mk 3

5862xxx Mk 1

5862xxx Mk 1

5864968 Mk 2

5899322 Mk 2

59xxxxx Mk 2

59xxxxx Mk 3

59xxxxx Mk 1

60xxxxx Mk 3

609xxxx Mk 2

61xxxxx Mk 1

61xxxxx Mk 1

61xxxxx Mk 2

61228** Mk 2

615xxxx Mk 1

61524xx Mk 2

Thanks a lot
Very impressive article my friend. You have obviously put some time and effort into your research. 1680 - Mk 1 serial 5,9    

Old 31 December 2019, 08:51 AM   #58
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Here’s my 504xxxx Mk 1 from 1977. Apologies to the purists, but I just hate the imbalance of the cyclops. (Don’t, worry, I’ve kept the original crystal!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 December 2019, 09:09 PM   #59
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone cold sober View Post
Very impressive article my friend. You have obviously put some time and effort into your research. 1680 - Mk 1 serial 5,9  

Thank you for posting, that is a lovely 1680
Old 31 December 2019, 09:11 PM   #60
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Here’s my 504xxxx Mk 1 from 1977. Apologies to the purists, but I just hate the imbalance of the cyclops. (Don’t, worry, I’ve kept the original crystal!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is awesome, thanks for posting