The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 August 2019, 11:40 AM   #1
Jmann
"TRF" Member

Help with first watch purchase!!

Hey guys! I’ve been following the forum for a while but just now decided to make a username, as I am ready to take the next step and finally purchase my first watch. After doing some research and speaking to several trusted dealers, I have decided that I either want to buy a Rolex GMT BLNR Oyster or the AP 15450 in the white dial. Now, I know the two choices are very different, but I really do like them both. Some details I should probably mention about myself:

1. I work in a office, but love to wear casual clothing in my leisure time
2. I am small wristed (6 inch wrist)
3. I want to use the one I pick as my daily wearer, meaning that I will want something versatile

Thanks for your opinions in advance! Cheers
Jmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

BLNR on oyster is very versatile. Can be worn dresses up or down.

Cannot go wrong with one.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:08 PM   #3
Muxi
"TRF" Member

BLNR is more robust for daily wear. 15450 feels more special but I get the impression it is not a daily watch. Timekeeping of the AP can be a bit erratic when worn daily
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:13 PM   #4
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I vote for the BLNR - good luck with your choice!
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:43 PM   #5
crownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmann View Post
Hey guys! I’ve been following the forum for a while but just now decided to make a username, as I am ready to take the next step and finally purchase my first watch. After doing some research and speaking to several trusted dealers, I have decided that I either want to buy a Rolex GMT BLNR Oyster or the AP 15450 in the white dial. Now, I know the two choices are very different, but I really do like them both. Some details I should probably mention about myself:

3. I want to use the one I pick as my daily wearer, meaning that I will want something versatile

buy a Rolex OP 36mm white dial!
crownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:53 PM   #6
Mr Perfect
Banned

Watch: IC Title
BLNR all day long.
Mr Perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 04:56 PM   #7
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

BLNR is more versatile. ( I prefer the LN and you can save some cash there too)..
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 05:05 PM   #8
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
It is ultimately your choice as to the watch that really "speaks" to you. You will get much good advice here, but you need to go beyond that because some folks say "get this" but do not actually offer the "why," which can add important information to consider. (Some things that you may not have thought of!)

I applaud you in asking for assistance. Many watch enthusiasts never bother to ask for up-front help before they blindly purchase something.

In doing research, have you already tried on a few models (the ones you like, OR something closely similar, to get a better idea? Often trying on something you think you would like turns into a "Nope; this is not THE watch for me.") Many buyers have made a sad mistake by buying blind without the slightest idea of actually having tried something out on their arm.

I was actually shocked when a situation turned out like that for me. Your post does not indicate if you have done any "on-hands" research, but hopefully you already have. Your post at least makes it sound as if you have done some amount of evaluation.

I too have a small arm (~6.5") and some watches I thought might be too large were a decent fit, so if you are told " . . . will be too large for you . . ," that can be a misleading statement that you should take with a grain of salt.

Please do not take my inputs as condescending or opinionated; I DO want to assist you in you obtaining what will really make you happy. A wrong choice can be a very expensive and unhappy one. Buyer's remorse can be a cruel b**ch.

By the way, either of your choices is a very fine high quality item.

Oh -- and welcome to the forum!

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 06:23 PM   #9
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
DateJust 36. Any 40mm watch will look and feel very large. The DateJust is as versatile a watch as you could ever want. Unless you scuba beyond 100 meters, there is nothing a DJ cannot do, and look great doing it. Oyster or Jubilee your choice.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:06 PM   #10
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
DateJust 36. Any 40mm watch will look and feel very large. The DateJust is as versatile a watch as you could ever want. Unless you scuba beyond 100 meters, there is nothing a DJ cannot do, and look great doing it. Oyster or Jubilee your choice.
This^^^

I fear a GMT might be too large for you but by all means go and try one on.
I would definitely recommend a 36mm DJ. There’s so much variations of DJ to suite all occasions.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:10 PM   #11
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir

This is my wrist, we should have similar wrists! This sits perfect for me not over sized and also the case fits the wrist perfect

Btw it’s horribly hot in Hong Kong so my W watch looks like it’s eating my wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:46 PM   #12
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Both watches fit me quite differently on my 6.25” wrist...
I owned the BLNR on an Oyster for just over 12 months and absolutely loved it. I wore it almost daily. That said, if I’m honest the fat lugs made it look too big for me. Only marginally but still too big, hence why I let it go for a SD4K which despite being a thicker watch has more tapered lugs.

The AP on the other hand, which I’m hoping to get in Blue, could be seen as too small by some! Clearly I’m comfortable with the size but it is certainly noticeably smaller. I’ve tried a white dial and many precious metal ones on over the past 12 months and often think maybe a 41mm RO would be better!

The above aside, the AP is finished to a much higher level that the BLNR and whilst still a sports watch it is much dressier. Buying a list there’s quite a price differential too. Specs are quite different too, WR, duel time function etc...

As above do your best to try both on, or at least try a Rolex 6 digit sports watch and a 37mm AP before making a decision if you haven’t already done so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:49 PM   #13
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

With your wrist size, I would be looking at a Daytona (40mm but wears smaller), Explorer I or Yachtmaster (also wears smaller than supercase 40s like the GMT and Sub).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 08:15 PM   #14
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Try both on and one will sing a sweeter tune.

Between the two choices, if i will have only one, i would get the BLNR also.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 08:36 PM   #15
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

BLNR - I think it's the better daily wearer out of the two, and will be more versatile between the office and casual environments you have described.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 08:47 PM   #16
huba01
"TRF" Member

BLNR for me too
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 09:00 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
For the amount you would have to pay for the BLNR you could get a very nice collection of several other watches. I would look at the Explorer I, either 36mm or 39 mm, as I believe it would work better on your wrist. When most of the WIS get started we think a one or two watch collection will do, but it can expand rapidly.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 12:41 AM   #18
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
For the amount you would have to pay for the BLNR you could get a very nice collection of several other watches. I would look at the Explorer I, either 36mm or 39 mm, as I believe it would work better on your wrist. When most of the WIS get started we think a one or two watch collection will do, but it can expand rapidly.
This ^

Having a 7" wrist and owning many watches - my sweet spot size wise = 39mm
40 mm can work if lugs are tapered and case wraps down
we all have different tolerance & taste for size & style

the AP would probably fit well but that $$ oh my !

Rolex 36mm DJ or OP Would no doubt be a GADA for you ...Maybe the Explorer 1 39mm but try one on
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 12:57 AM   #19
Jmann
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys for all of your input! I have done my homework and know that the two watches I’m asking about would fit (lugging not hanging over) but here are some concerns or questions I have:
1. Is the 15450 seen as too feminine?
2. At current market price, is the BLNR (assuming 12-14k) still the choice over the 15450 that I can purchase below list MSRP?

I’m leaning towards the BLNR, even at the current inflated market price. Of course, I’d love for whatever I get to hold its value but as a first watch, it’s a little less important to me. Further feedback is appreciated. Will follow up with my decision this weekend!

Cheers
Jmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 01:00 AM   #20
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
5 digits Rolex are wonderful in small wrist.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 01:21 AM   #21
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
With your wrist size, I would be looking at a Daytona (40mm but wears smaller), Explorer I or Yachtmaster (also wears smaller than supercase 40s like the GMT and Sub).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Was thinking the EXP I as well.....
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 01:44 AM   #22
TreiseKL
"TRF" Member

Wrist size is one thing but also wrist SHAPE is important as well. Does your wrist have the Radius and Ulna further apart or together? Some people who have 6 inch wrists with a flat platform, radius and ulna spread apart, can rock a Sea Dweller.

Anycase, you can't go wrong with 5-digits.
Old 24 August 2019, 02:06 AM   #23
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
IMO

Considering wrist size and versatility requirement, Explorer 214270.
Old 24 August 2019, 02:14 AM   #24
Totoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PloProf
OP, if you want the BLNR on oyster. Just buy it. Everything else will feel like a consolation. Sure a lot of the watches suggested are great but your heart fell for the BLNR. You may as well save time and money in the long run and do it right.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 02:23 AM   #25
TreiseKL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
OP, if you want the BLNR on oyster. Just buy it. Everything else will feel like a consolation. Sure a lot of the watches suggested are great but your heart fell for the BLNR. You may as well save time and money in the long run and do it right.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I have to disagree. The PCLs on BLNR oyster looks like they've been worn for 3 years after wearing it for 3 days. It is a big decision to have that as the first purchase. There are many people out there who can't stand scratches.
Old 24 August 2019, 02:27 AM   #26
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

As a daily wearer, the BLNR is probably going to be better at standing up to abuse. The AP RO, however, is an amazing watch. It's in a league of it's own and definitely something worth checking out / adding to the stable down the road. Mine is in my avatar
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 02:51 AM   #27
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

1. Both watches will be appropriate in most work environments.

2. I’ll echo others and say you should try before you buy. Even if you can afford it, you should never buy something you’ll regret later.

3. BLNR Is going to be more practical as a daily wearer. It has the added benefit of the GMT complication. It’s also going to take the abuse of daily life better and I believe is cheaper to service over time.

Good luck!
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 02:53 AM   #28
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Watch: It varies
Quote:

They're both great watches.

The BLNR is a wonderful watch that would look great on most wrists, and can be worn in the office or casually. The only concern with that watch is the retail price vs the grey market price. It retails around the $8900 mark. Currently, it's selling for between $17-18k. Personally, I find that laughable for a steel sports watch. I don't cave into demand. I owned the watch and purchased it for retail and resold it for $15k (perhaps too soon), due to lack of wear and the turnaround on price. If you're fine with paying a demand markup of nearly 100% of the cost of the watch, it's the one I'd likely choose. As far as I know, the BLNR is discontinued on oyster from AD, so you'd be buying grey market.

As for the AP, I really don't know as much about it. My concern would be with MSRP vs. demand of the BLNR. The AP it seems is around 16k for retail, and is an iconic watch. So, really, it's up to you in terms of aesthetics.

Price vs. reward - if you go with the BLNR, you're paying a 100% markup, but getting a GMT watch with function and use. If you choose the AP, you're getting a beauitiful watch for around the same price, with less function, but the price is reasonable considering MSRP. I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound like rambling nonsense.

Cheers!
zorinindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 03:10 AM   #29
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have not followed AP too much, as I have a small wrist. However I do know that the 15450 is perfect for us small wristed guys. However for pure versatility the GMT simply will not be beat. It is the most versatile watch out there, bar none.

I just want to add that the BLNR is a bit more "in your face" due to polished bits, blue/black ceramic (shiny!) insert, and that unmistakable Rolex design. Not a bad thing, but if you wanted to go under the radar I think the AP might be the ticket.

The AP is mostly brushed, very little "bling", and a timeless design. I may be wrong, but I believe you can also pick up a leather strap for it that you can swap in and out for a different look.

Totally up to you, I would recommend trying both and seeing which one sings to you.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 04:07 AM   #30
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
I have not followed AP too much, as I have a small wrist. However I do know that the 15450 is perfect for us small wristed guys. However for pure versatility the GMT simply will not be beat. It is the most versatile watch out there, bar none.

I just want to add that the BLNR is a bit more "in your face" due to polished bits, blue/black ceramic (shiny!) insert, and that unmistakable Rolex design. Not a bad thing, but if you wanted to go under the radar I think the AP might be the ticket.

The AP is mostly brushed, very little "bling", and a timeless design. I may be wrong, but I believe you can also pick up a leather strap for it that you can swap in and out for a different look.

Totally up to you, I would recommend trying both and seeing which one sings to you.
One of the reason I love this place - so many differing opinions and it's all in good fun. I personally think the white/silver 15450 is a much flashier watch with a lot more "bling" factor than the BLNR. The way the light reflects off the dial and bracelet is a lot louder from my perspective than the blue bezel and PCLs on the BLNR. That being said, I can understand the BLNR is a much more recognizable watch to the untrained eye that can more likely spot a Rolex over an AP.

Jmann - as others have stated, these two watches are fairly different options. If this is your first luxury time piece, I'd be inclined to recommend the BLNR. It's definitely a more durable watch for daily wear and arguably more versatile than the 15450. That being said, have you tried one on yet and compared it to the fit of a 15450? I only ask because at a 6" wrist, it may look a little large on you (mainly due to the maxi case lugs). I would definitely make sure you try both on in-person before deciding. As a first daily watch, the BLNR will be able to take more of a "beating" than the AP. Also important to keep in mind, service costs on the Rolex are less than the AP. Personally, I'd much rather add a RO to a collection (like I am trying to do right now) rather than have it be my first nice watch.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote