The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 August 2019, 05:00 PM   #61
S4one
"TRF" Member

Wear the watch, I do and drive my Porsche to work. If people are going to judge you then that's not the job place for you.
Old 23 August 2019, 05:02 PM   #62
winger14
"TRF" Member

Wear what you like. Good luck!
Old 23 August 2019, 05:10 PM   #63
Mike Jab
Banned

I think you should not wear a Rolex because we all know 100% of the population focus so much on what you have and have unconscious opinions of you. I would refrain from wearing anything Rolex or designer, and if you can, try to wear clothes that look super old or washed away / ripped.
Old 23 August 2019, 05:12 PM   #64
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Dress for the environment, in this case; I would not wear it.

Always love the ridiculous comments in these threads.
Old 23 August 2019, 05:12 PM   #65
BigBallerBrand
Banned

Thanks for your opinions guys. I will likely not wear the watch to the interview. I do already work for a FAANG company right now and i wore my Bluesy to work a few times and a bunch of my coworkers were clowning me all day
Old 23 August 2019, 05:15 PM   #66
kog
"TRF" Member

Any company that takes on staff based on what watch they wear isn't going to be in business long.
Old 23 August 2019, 05:16 PM   #67
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBallerBrand View Post
Bluesy will be on a blue Rubber B band. So it won’t be TOO flashy. Job is a mid-level management role at a notable tech company where most people might be wearing Apple Watches normally. Would like to set a good impression (and demonstrate I’ve had success in the past in terms of experience and financially) but also don’t want to be judged for wearing a “flashy” watch. Attire in the office appears to be very casual. I will be wearing a button down, jeans, probably white common project sneakers. Nothing too fancy.

Thoughts?
Is the person interviewing yourself or is he/she going to interview your watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 23 August 2019, 05:19 PM   #68
hnlee
"TRF" Member

I will not go with flashy watch for an interview. First of all it could bring wrong impression to the one who will do you the interview, second of all, they need your skill and knowledge aren't they? Unless you are working in super model company. Wear it in big events or when you have solid position in the company, that will be different.
Good luck!
Old 23 August 2019, 05:25 PM   #69
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
If an interviewer would disqualify me from the running of a position based on a watch I would wear, is not a place of enjoyment I would want to work for.
Clearly, folks can support an equal argument on both the 'wear it' or 'don't wear it' points of view. To me, it's 50/50 so I ain't giving advice.

However, the above quote is insightful and pretty much my position as well. But, I do not have the Op's history as to whether he can afford to be, well, somewhat capricious in his search for work. If he REALLY needs the job, take every measure possible to ensure nothing happens that handicap your position. Worried about the Blue Sub offending the HR or interviewer? Skip it for a few hours on that day. If this position is not too important to you, although looking for work should always be a reasonably serious affair, then slap on the oyster bracelet, give the watch head a nice soap, water and micro fibre cleaning and go in there proud and confident. As mentioned, the interviewer might be a WIS which can only help. But, that likelihood is probably pure fantasy. Of course, sitting in reception waiting might give you insight into the 'tenor' of the joint, which gives you time to remove, or slip on, your SUB.

Sigh, who knows huh? I *do* know we wish you good luck, and please report back if it gets interesting.

Best,
Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 23 August 2019, 05:38 PM   #70
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Wearing your Rolex or not being sure about wearing it will not stop getting the job.

Appearing indecisive might though.
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Old 23 August 2019, 06:39 PM   #71
Bel
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t wear it. You don’t know who will be sitting across from you in the interview, and, like it or not, you will have to deal with their biases, even their unconscious ones.

The fact that an interviewer may take against you for wearing a Rolex does not mean that he/she is a despicable human and therefore you shouldn’t want to work in that company anyway. It’s far more nuanced than that. Expensive watches stir up all sorts of feelings within people. And the truth is that many associate Rolex (fairly or not) with loud, conspicuous consumption and ostentatious living. If your interviewer is of that bent, you’ll have incurred a few minus points before you even open your mouth. Why take that risk?

As someone who has interviewed many people for managerial roles over the years, I can tell you that many times, an interviewer forms an impression perhaps within the first 15 seconds of meeting the person. For the rest of the interview, the interviewer is mainly trying to see if his/her initial impression can be justified or abandoned. If the interviewer is already biased upon sighting a Rolex within those 15 seconds, it’s going to be hard to shift his/her impression. Especially given that the Rolex will be on show throughout the interview.

I would leave the Rolex at home and go with a ‘quieter’ watch.
Old 23 August 2019, 06:56 PM   #72
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
I think today that some should get over the fact a Rolex is just a watch nothing more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 23 August 2019, 06:58 PM   #73
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
That blue strap sticks out like a sore thumb. Leave it at home.
Just wear a Casio watch or something simple.
Old 23 August 2019, 07:36 PM   #74
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
I'd personally never wear a blue strap watch to an interview, I'd rather just go in with the original TT bracelet if you want to wear the Bluesy. I'd probably skip it all together. The pieces I'd wear would be to see if the interviewer happened to be a WIS, so APs, Daytona, other hard to get Rolexes. Otherwise, what's the point.
I agree, that just makes the watch a bit whacky which is not an impression I'd want to give, even in more relaxed tech. I'd wear the bracelet or just leave it at home if you feel you will be self-conscious and it detracting.
Old 23 August 2019, 07:45 PM   #75
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
I spent some fun years in Silicon Valley during the bubble years. Then their casual attire was trend setting. But it had not at that time devolved to jeans and sneakers. But you are there now so you know best. Frankly I think sporting an Apple Watch would be much more in character, but also don't think anybody is going to notice and if they do it would not have an ounce of weight on whether or not you get the job.
If you go for a job at Apple do you hide your Samsung watch and phone, and vice versa? Is that really necessary, or is your character and capability more important? Everything is judged, an interview is just a date with no afters... well, usually.
Old 23 August 2019, 07:49 PM   #76
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
If you were comfortable wearing the watch you would not have asked this question.

Surely no matter what others say on here, if you aren't comfortable doing something, don't do it!
Old 23 August 2019, 07:51 PM   #77
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wach16 View Post
I work in tech and I would have no problem wearing it for an interview...especially dressed down on a rubber strap. If they noticed the watch and made a comment, I would explain that it is a passion of mine and I am fortunate to have been in a position to purchase it. If they were to negatively judge you for wearing it, I would have bigger questions about working for someone who would value that over my prior experience or potential to add value to the company.
I think this would be my issue, if the interviewer noticed my watch and made a comment I could quickly talk about it with some depth that would make it clear I wasn't just flexing with a trinket, but if no one asks but just notices it and takes the usual negative connotations about its wearer then you can't just blurt out a defence, even if you notice the judging eyes on it.
Old 23 August 2019, 07:52 PM   #78
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

That looks terrific, so I say wear it either with the Rubber B or on it’s original bracelet. I think the Rubber B says you are there to work ... meaning hammer away at the keyboard without worry for the clasp, so I like what you have chosen.

By the way, good luck on the interview. Be yourself and you will be hired if its a fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23 August 2019, 08:02 PM   #79
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamantJTV View Post
It’s an interesting point that Tim Mosso said about him personally not wearing any watch to his interviews because it show you are “hungry”or really want the job. However others argue that people who are into watches might take notice and treat you differently. Differently can go either good and the interviewer is like “I like that guy” or it can go “fuck that guy, walking in here with a Rolex”

If it were me I would do without, and after I get the job. Wear it all day every day with the shame. Good luck on the interview dude!

I have done dozens of job interviews as the hiring manager, and I can tell you from my perspective that no watch doesn’t bother me, Apple Watch is neutral, Rolex or other fine Swiss watch is a positive, but wearing a “designer, Michael Kors” or other such watch does leave me a bit negative.

I also look at their shoes, fit and smartness (pressed or not) of clothing.

I will look past ALL of that for the right chemistry, personality, education and demonstrated ability to perform the job professionally. Everything above are just tie breakers.

Old 23 August 2019, 08:11 PM   #80
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Assuming you will be somewhat formally dressed, I don't think you should wear it on the rubber so I'd put it on the bracelet. If it were me, I'd wear it. It's just a watch at the end of the day. Best case scenario is it starts a conversation. Worst case scenario is that it offends the interviewer. I wouldn't want to work with someone who is that easily offended.

An interview is as much a chance for you to interview them also, and their reaction to you watch (if any) might be useful to gauge if you want to work there in any event.

That being said, if it's something you're worried about, or something which might distract you then don't wear it and focus on the interview.

Good luck.
Old 23 August 2019, 09:13 PM   #81
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would wear the watch. No issues in my opinion. You are interviewing them as well. If there is an issue with a watch what else will there be issues with. You already have a job and a watch. What else do you want?
Old 23 August 2019, 09:18 PM   #82
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I have done dozens of job interviews as the hiring manager, and I can tell you from my perspective that no watch doesn’t bother me, Apple Watch is neutral, Rolex or other fine Swiss watch is a positive, but wearing a “designer, Michael Kors” or other such watch does leave me a bit negative.

That’s interesting. Why is that?
Old 23 August 2019, 09:28 PM   #83
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I had a candidate (millennial) recently who came in wearing a shirt and tie, but tennis shoes. That just doesn't fly. I don't care how casual the office is, you wear a suit (or dress) to a job interview. Period. And yes, I work in I/T but for a conservative non-tech company. But even if I was at a start-up and everyone wore shorts and sandals to work, I'd still expect a candidate to dress appropriately.

As for the watch, since I always wear a long sleeve shirt with a suit, I wouldn't give it a second thought since no one will see it. Otherwise, no, I would not wear a TT or YG Rolex to an interview. SS, maybe, if I had nothing else to wear. I feel naked without a watch.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 23 August 2019, 09:32 PM   #84
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
I will look past ALL of that for the right chemistry, personality, education and demonstrated ability to perform the job professionally. Everything above are just tie breakers.
Agree. But I've also learned that only one mistake or poorly phrased answer can torpedo an interview.

No pressure, LOL.

Best of luck!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 23 August 2019, 09:35 PM   #85
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
If you can’t be yourself, what’s the point
I agree

There is absolutely no point in having an income if you can`t be yourself everywhere at any time.
Old 23 August 2019, 09:36 PM   #86
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

You don't want to be late!.......wear it.
Good Luck!!
Old 23 August 2019, 09:45 PM   #87
Redbox
"TRF" Member

Wear it and be yourself and enjoy the interview. There is too much dumbing down going on.
Old 23 August 2019, 09:50 PM   #88
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
Quote:
but wearing a “designer, Michael Kors” or other such watch does leave me a bit negative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
That’s interesting. Why is that?
Haha
Old 23 August 2019, 09:52 PM   #89
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

If they don’t want the real you, you don’t want the job.

Old 23 August 2019, 09:53 PM   #90
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Sneakers in a job interview? Man I am getting old.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Closed Thread