The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 August 2019, 06:51 AM   #61
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

I fly frequently and TSA have never asked me to remove it. In fact, they often ask you to leave it on. They don't wanna deal with the hassle/accusations of a watch gone missing either.
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:55 AM   #62
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Never had to remove it in the US. Many places in Europe (especially Paris) they make me take it off. I also generally leave my belt on (it's never set off a metal detector), but in the Paris airport and Eurostar they always specifically tell me to take off my watch and belt. I'd rather not argue with them. It tends to raise suspicion when you start telling the security screeners that a specific item does not need to go through their x-ray machine (absent some obvious damage that would be done - like film).
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 09:11 AM   #63
gerrya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II Polar
Traveling within the US there's no issue. Traveling in foreign countries I put my watch in my carry on before getting in the line. The issue is normally your carry on goes ahead of you, then if they tell you you have to take your watch off your stuck putting it in the plastic tray.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk
gerrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 11:50 AM   #64
miket-nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16800
You guys were right. I went through TSA twice (going and coming to Newark Airport) and nobody asked me to remove my watch. One agent on the way back wanted to see the dial-side and the buckle side, I suppose to make sure it didn't have a knife built into the buckle.

So far, the thing that surprises me most about wearing a steel Submariner is that nobody ever notices it. I suppose other watch fanciers notice it (and I noticed a guy wearing what appeared to be a Sub at some airport), but otherwise it's under the radar.
miket-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 11:56 AM   #65
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by miket-nyc View Post
Next week I'm flying to the west coast, the first time since I bought my Submariner. I'm a bit worried about taking off my watch for the X-ray machine, which would let it out of my sight long enough for some light-fingered passenger (or screener) to grab it. Is there a way to have the TSA scan your watch with a wand while it's on your wrist, and what is the way to talk them into this? (I'm leaving from Newark NJ, and in NYC the TSA isn't known for its patience and gentleness...)

I always put my wallet, phone and watch in my carry on bag or briefcase to go through security then put everything back on after. I am always amazed at the donkeys that put their wallet, phone and watch in the little trays for anyone to take on the other side.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 12:11 PM   #66
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I put everything in my carry on (backpack) except my license.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 12:13 PM   #67
votoms
"TRF" Member

I live in Malaysia and every time I have to depart either from KLIA or KLIA2 I have to remove my watch. I have no problem with it as I put it in a pouch and bury it in my bag that is always zipped up. I exclusively travel in Asia and most other airports don't require you to remove your watch. However, even if I did, mainland China airports are very safe. I do not travel within the US so I cannot comment on that. When I do leave from Vancouver, watch stays on.
Old 7 September 2019, 12:52 PM   #68
Ftech1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622, 126710
I fly to and from Newark airport all the time. Have never taken off my YM
Ftech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 01:22 PM   #69
Zoomerang
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
I just flew through RNO and the TSA agent did a secondary search looking for a tiny flashlight inside one pocket. After he cleared me he commented on my 116710LN amd said he has seen a few BLROs and BLNRs going through in the last week.

Clearly a cool WIS guy that pays attention to watches. They never asked me to remove the watch.
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:58 PM   #70
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I’ve never removed mine. I hadn’t removed it before i was tsa pre either. If anyone ever asked i would say no. Then let them figure out what to do next. No chance I’m putting thousands of dollars in a bucket with a tsa agent and letting them shoot it through a machine lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s never necessary to remove your Rolex or any watch when passing through a TSA check point in the United States. But it’s a totally different story when passing through security in Airports like Charles De Gaulle in Paris or Schiphol in Amsterdam. One issue that is fact, when the TSA gives you instructions to do something and you refuse to follow them or act out, they have the authority to “figure out what to do next” and can deny you access through their check point. Stopping you from flying that day can be a reality. I just carry a watch case for my Rolex and place it in my backpack when I encounter airports in foreign countries that require removal.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:15 PM   #71
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
In the US it seems OK to wear your watch.

Lot's of other places best to remove it before passing through security.
Best to avoid pointless arguments you are going to lose anyway and try not to hold up the line.

Guess some like to show the whole line how important they are and and own a Rolex.
Old 7 September 2019, 07:46 PM   #72
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
It's depends on the airport, and the official you will fall on, so I typically just put it in the travel case while going through security and that's it. No thinking about what if, no stress, no nothing.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 08:46 PM   #73
bfinta
"TRF" Member

Ive always taken my watch off and put it in the tray, i believe in canada they tell you to take it off so i just assumed i had to do the same in US airports. I never worry about it being stolen off the tray, is this actually something that is happening?
bfinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 08:54 PM   #74
Rolliedon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I fly at least once a month for business. Never been asked to remove it. I was asked to remove it once at a Data Center in San Juan, Puerto Rico so i popped it into my briefcase instead of the cruddy bin.
Rolliedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 09:08 PM   #75
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

Best to avoid pointless arguments you are going to lose anyway and try not to hold up the line.

Guess some like to show the whole line how important they are and and own a Rolex.
Exactly
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 09:38 PM   #76
bremersm
Banned

I fly from CLT to PDX and back quite often and have been traveling for work for many years. I have perfected my routine over the years. I do not have TSA PreCheck.

In regards to my watch I pack it in a watch fold I bought from W&W. This goes in my carry on. When I get through security I put the watch back on.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 10:23 PM   #77
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

Guess some like to show the whole line how important they are and own a Rolex.
Yes sir, you said it best.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 10:24 PM   #78
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Nobody will steal your watch. It’s like thinking you’ll get robbed in a police station
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote