The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 August 2019, 06:02 AM   #1
Arthompson121
"TRF" Member

Advice on Buying 1st Rolex

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on buying my first Rolex. Here in Alberta, Canada it seems that it’s impossible to find any sport model at a Rolex AD. Ordering any type of model is just laughed at as well at the local AD stores.

Otherwise I could get a Datejust/OP, although it seems that those models don’t hold their value nearly as well.

I’m looking for something to wear everyday, so it’s not for an investment. But it would be nice to buy something that could relatively hold its value. Since it is my first purchase I would prefer to purchase from an AD and not online. Will I just have to buy a datejust in hopes of building a relationship with a AD for a future purchase? If so any tips/advice on doing that.

Thanks in advance!!
Arthompson121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 06:16 AM   #2
Brny11
"TRF" Member

What do you actually want? DJ is maybe the top selling watch Rolex makes, and by no means a “relationship building watch”. OP white and black are stunning. Explorer is relatively easy to get and is one of the best daily watches out there for many.

I wouldn’t buy just to build a relationship. For all you know, there are hundreds ahead of you, consisting of people buying PM watches.

Again, if the display case was full, what would you actually want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 07:27 AM   #3
ddubb
"TRF" Member

Probably depends on the watch you want. DJ are great everyday watches, great for both casual and more formal occasions. And you can likely get one rather quickly from and AD if they don’t have it in stock.

If you want a more coveted sport model, well then that’s a different story. Unless you can really work the AD, either through other purchases or just being a really cool person, you will wait. Length of wait will vary.

Buying from an AD for your first is probably not a bad idea, though. There’s no special Rolex experience that you get at the AD, unless a free Diet Coke and a bunch of people shaking your hand means anything. But it’s a big deal to buy your first Rolex. And the first time you buy from a grey is a little worrisome (“I’m just blindly wiring multiple thousands of dollars to this guy over the internet?”). So buying from an AD for your first removes all that worry and you can just enjoy.

Good luck!
ddubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 07:27 AM   #4
ddubb
"TRF" Member

Deleting duplicate post

Last edited by ddubb; 24 August 2019 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: Deleting duplicate reply
ddubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 07:32 AM   #5
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Sometimes it just luck try other ADs even if you need to travel. I walked into an AD that was over 3 hours away and this was just sitting there, snagged it up right away.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
ThatExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 07:35 AM   #6
kalo925
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD50, PAM-690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthompson121 View Post
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on buying my first Rolex. Here in Alberta, Canada it seems that it’s impossible to find any sport model at a Rolex AD. Ordering any type of model is just laughed at as well at the local AD stores.

Otherwise I could get a Datejust/OP, although it seems that those models don’t hold their value nearly as well.

I’m looking for something to wear everyday, so it’s not for an investment. But it would be nice to buy something that could relatively hold its value. Since it is my first purchase I would prefer to purchase from an AD and not online. Will I just have to buy a datejust in hopes of building a relationship with a AD for a future purchase? If so any tips/advice on doing that.

Thanks in advance!!
Save yourself a thousand or two and buy a used one with good documentation including seeing the receipt of the original purchase. They show up on Craigslist sometimes. I've done 5 craigslist buys/sells, and one AD buy. Good luck with what ever you do!
kalo925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 07:45 AM   #7
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Don't buy something if you're purchasing to scratch an itch.

You mentioned sport models...What sport model do you want?

It's worth visiting the AD once a month. Chatting with them about watches, life, etc. and just shooting the s$%^. They are more likely to be open to what your are looking for then.

Good things come to those who wait.
StackLexus17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:21 AM   #8
Kevin Hammer
"TRF" Member

I say get what you really want. DON'T settle. Wait an unknown amount of time if you MUST have an AD involved. Or just buy from one of the rock solid dealers on here and have it on your wrist to enjoy in one day. I just did yet another deal with DavidSW and didn't worry for even a second.
Kevin Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:40 AM   #9
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!!
Buy used.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:43 AM   #10
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by StackLexus17 View Post
Don't buy something if you're purchasing to scratch an itch.

You mentioned sport models...What sport model do you want?

It's worth visiting the AD once a month. Chatting with them about watches, life, etc. and just shooting the s$%^. They are more likely to be open to what your are looking for then.

Good things come to those who wait.
Agree. Please don’t settle. Be patient, but persistent while you develop a relationship with your AD.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:50 AM   #11
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Buy used.
Used Subs/GMTs are trading for thousands over MSRP. Be patient.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 08:52 AM   #12
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
The Explorer sounds like a good choice for your first watch. Not too long to wait for one.
Oldwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 09:13 AM   #13
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
If you can afford precious metal in professional sports model... (Sub, Daytona,GMT) that would be your best option. It would hold its value and might open the door for you to some of the steel professional models. I would stay away from the regular DJ.

If you have a friend who is a VIP at one of the AD, ask if he/she can help you get a steel sport model at their AD. I've done it for some of my friends.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:04 AM   #14
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!!
Buy on the secondary and pay a premium. Try canadawatchcollector

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:12 AM   #15
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Maybe I’m biased because I have one in my collection, but it sounds like the white OP39 fits your criteria nicely.

justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:22 AM   #16
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Despite my somewhat bloated collection I love this DJ II 41mm. If you choose the right DJ with a smooth bezel you’ll be real close to a Steel pro variant in terms of overall looks.

♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:45 AM   #17
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
If you are not buying for an investment, why do you care if it holds its value. If you buy a watch you love and it has no resale value, do you love it less?

Decide what you want to own - what you REALLY want to own - and buy it on the secondary market. Will you pay more than retail? Absolutely. Will you care in 3 or 66 months? Hell no. And guess what, you will still have the watch.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 11:56 AM   #18
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Well, what do you want? If you want a classic watch but not necessarily professional model, the the Explorer or the black dial OP39 would be a good choice. But if you want a pro model then wait for it. Talk to every AD you go near, ask around, check out the grays. If you want something like a Sub, it will come.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2019, 12:33 PM   #19
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!!

Don’t settle for your first !

Trusted seller, BNIB Explorer suits your specifications ............ for a lifetime. If AD is a must, shouldn’t have to wait long for an Explorer.

Old 24 August 2019, 12:37 PM   #20
pepsiretail
Banned

What watch do you want? Buy that one.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote