The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2020, 05:42 AM   #61
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
She doesn't care. We are very flexible people in regards to our purchases and what not. I leave her alone, and she reciprocates.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 06:18 AM   #62
mpnunes
"TRF" Member

I feel very fortunate to own a Rolex and a few other nice watches. But anytime I make a purchase, I discuss it with my wife. We certainly don’t have an unlimited budget in our household and buying a watch is only something I do when we have enough extra so I don’t feel guilty about it!
mpnunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 06:38 AM   #63
Heartlandblaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Humble but mine!
My wife tolerates it but really isnt in to watches to the degree I am. Now, mention handbags to her. Different story!

Heartlandblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 08:37 AM   #64
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
My wife does not care, as long as the bills are paid!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 08:48 AM   #65
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

She's generally supportive as long as I don't go crazy. She also likes quite a bit the ladies Oyster Perpetual I got her. We do OK but I'm not so well heeled that I'll ever have an arm full of Rolexes, AP's and Pateks, but I have told her that if circumstances allow I want a Day-Date in a few years and we've discussed what those circumstances would look like.

It would be nice to have so much money that it didn't matter what either of us bought, but we've got retirements to fund and a big house to pay for.

The best thing is that between my Daytona, Datejust and wife, I'm pretty darn happy right now.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 09:52 AM   #66
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
This is possibly a really important question, as depending on the circumstance, it might be a source of contention in the relationship. The key question is:

What is the root or true source of your SO’s concern with your watch collecting habit? If it is a concern over financial stewardship in your relationship (whether legitimate concern or not) it makes good sense for you two to be on the same page. It is my understanding that financial discordance in a committed relationship is either the number one or two reason for failure of the relationship to last.

On the flip side, it is my observation that if both people in the relationship are at peace financially, comfortable where they are and in agreement about management of finances, there is much more support and encouragement for each’s spending preferences.

Sorry to get so heavy...just wanting to share from experience and wish you happiness both in your relationship and hobby!

Agree 100% I also agree on you only live once. But don’t go into a discussion that turns into a problem for a watch purchase.

Going back your original question what my SO thinks she is as bad as I am! This is her current rotation she is missing a few in this picture.

Good luck and stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 10:19 AM   #67
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

She's gonna need to justify her shoes, purses, candles, etc...
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 10:20 AM   #68
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
If the cash is there she doesn’t care
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 10:21 AM   #69
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Lukewarm about it but as what i spend on the hobby or all my hobbies is excess returns on investments and not salary she knows not to say anything...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 06:54 PM   #70
A-Wax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I'm going to (somewhat) dissent with the majority of responses I've read.

Of course you should discuss significant financial purchases with your partner. If the shoe was on the other foot, wouldn't you want her (or him) to discuss a Rolex-money purchase with you before pulling the trigger? Especially a PM. I for sure would.

Call me crazy, but I actually think healthy discussion is good for a relationship. Now, mind you, I'm not saying approval, but discussion. There's a huge difference between saying "Honey can I buy a watch," and "Hey, I'm thinking this watch is going to be my next purchase." Just my opinion...YMMV.
Seconded!
A-Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 07:49 PM   #71
alwinnng
"TRF" Member

She was pissed off and wanted one for herself. So I bought her a datejust 31 fluted jubilee with diamond dial.

Following months, I picked up two Tudors. She was damn pissed. Took her Rolex and a Tudor and left.
alwinnng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 08:36 PM   #72
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
She's generally supportive as long as I don't go crazy. She also likes quite a bit the ladies Oyster Perpetual I got her. We do OK but I'm not so well heeled that I'll ever have an arm full of Rolexes, AP's and Pateks, but I have told her that if circumstances allow I want a Day-Date in a few years and we've discussed what those circumstances would look like.

It would be nice to have so much money that it didn't matter what either of us bought, but we've got retirements to fund and a big house to pay for.

The best thing is that between my Daytona, Datejust and wife, I'm pretty darn happy right now.
I will say that she was displeased when I bought my Datejust, even though I got a good deal on it. I spent the next two months tracking our spending on a spreadsheet...hers, mine and ours and after I demonstrated that in the course of the year she would easily outspend me on clothes and makeup and her hobbies (crafting and sewing) she has been far more easy going about things. We're just different. I like to make one or two large or largish purchases a year, she likes to hunt bargains and shop every weekend.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 08:40 PM   #73
LuckyHubbyW/aDJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
She understands that it's my vice and gets it.

The same way I get her obsession with expensive shoes and lingerie!!

I'm more than ok with the lingerie but the shoes??!!
LuckyHubbyW/aDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 09:13 PM   #74
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyHubbyW/aDJ View Post
She understands that it's my vice and gets it.

The same way I get her obsession with expensive shoes and lingerie!!

I'm more than ok with the lingerie but the shoes??!!

Lucky man !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 09:17 PM   #75
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570
As long as she get something occasionally she’s in. She even got me the hulk.

The Sevenfriday was a gift from someone at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 10:52 PM   #76
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
There is a Louis Vuitton outlet between the car park and the Rolex AD. It costs but works every time.....
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 11:02 PM   #77
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Luckily my OH tolerates my watch passion, as long as I'm not constantly talking about them!
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 12:21 AM   #78
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
My wife puts up with it I guess you would say. I want more watches, but with three young kids and a car habit as well the support only goes so far. Probably when the kids are out of the house I can buy again, but in the meantime if I keep adding expensive watches I’ll likely end up on Snapped in a couple years.
Old 20 August 2020, 12:48 AM   #79
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_DESH View Post
she encourages it.

I was going to pass on my Batman on jubilee- she said to me- you better get back in there and buy it or I will and wear it lol
Awesome collection
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 01:04 AM   #80
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I guess the trick is not to let her know. Buy watch, keep the box stealthily and wear only to work. That way, she will never find out. Over time, scratches will inevitably form and that will be the time to wear for more casual occasions, as she will now think it is an old watch.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 03:52 AM   #81
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigSmiles View Post
I’ve been confronted by my SO about my watch collecting habits and now it has evolved into something that we must first “discuss” together before I make anymore purchases.

How did you eventually win them over especially if they don’t share the same passion for collecting watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not together anymore and currently single... So No issues in that department atm.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 04:16 AM   #82
MrBigSmiles
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/PAM/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
I will say that she was displeased when I bought my Datejust, even though I got a good deal on it. I spent the next two months tracking our spending on a spreadsheet...hers, mine and ours and after I demonstrated that in the course of the year she would easily outspend me on clothes and makeup and her hobbies (crafting and sewing) she has been far more easy going about things. We're just different. I like to make one or two large or largish purchases a year, she likes to hunt bargains and shop every weekend.
I hear you! My SO is big into bargain hunting so even a <$2000 purchase crosses the threshold of "need to discuss". I've had to pass up many opps.
MrBigSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 04:25 AM   #83
CarteBlanche
"TRF" Member

100% supports it.
CarteBlanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 04:35 AM   #84
LuckyHubbyW/aDJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
Lucky man !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Gracias!!!

Trust me I know and she'll often remind me how blessed I am ......... just in case I ever forget??!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
LuckyHubbyW/aDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 01:17 PM   #85
Nostromopilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2009 DSSD MK-1 V
This is one of the most cringeworthy threads I’ve ever read. So many non sequitor flexes.

It’s no one’s business but one’s own. You do you, in your own relationship, why give a fig what anyone else thinks.

...but enter the rampant examples of the antiquated notions of the husband being the sole breadwinner and being allowed to make a purchase only after “paying the bills”/“placating her with a purse (buying her permission)/“my money is my business” etc. Makes me wonder if you can’t trust your SO on one of the most fundamental aspects on which....trust is literally built, finance, does that mistrust permeate the entire relationship? Woof

Also noted that I think I also only saw one example of “my husband thinks”... but that’s none of my business ::Kermit sipping tea emoji::
Nostromopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 01:34 PM   #86
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
My girlfriend enables my watch habits!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 11:53 PM   #87
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Wife wants me to buy more as she understands the value of a Rolex. She is not too happy when I Branch our to other brands like LU Chopard and JLC though. Lol
Smart woman!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 12:39 AM   #88
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

she was really pleased with the two ive purchased, now the problem is she wants one.
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 05:37 AM   #89
lubricious
"TRF" Member

My happiness is her happiness. Or wait, was that suppose to be the other way around? lol

She has no issues with non-depreciating purchases. And these watches tend to fall in that category.
lubricious is offline   Reply With Quote