The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 3 April 2020, 06:10 AM   #1
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Where’s the best place to look for fully refurbished vintage Seiko?

Just curious... looks like there’s a place in Darien CT but any near NYc?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 06:35 AM   #2
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Just curious... looks like there’s a place in Darien CT but any near NYc?
Which place is that? I live near there.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 10:57 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Adam oldexpatbeast seems to have them often.
Old 5 April 2020, 12:18 PM   #4
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
+1. Adam is fantastic to deal with.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:34 AM   #5
MARTIN1264
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Which place is that? I live near there.
Same here.....What Place in Darien?
MARTIN1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:57 AM   #6
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Where’s the best place to look for fully refurbished vintage Seiko?

I buy my pieces on eBay from sellers who are cleaning out a junk drawer, selling grandpa's old watch, or found them at an estate sale. This way I'm buying original honest examples with original parts and unpolished cases. I tend to stay away from professional sellers. I'm a vintage Seiko fanatic! Mainly divers and chronographs.

I have my local watchmaker clean and service them or I know a couple Seiko fanatics that do work out of their homes.

Here is a small sampling of my vintage pieces purchased on eBay and restored. I have 7 others out for servicing - a 6105 Willard Proof/Proof, 2 6138's, 3 6139's, and an old Skyliner dress watch.

EDIT: Sorry fellas, I see a couple are upside down!

These are next to be restored. The 6105 was purchased in Thailand in 1970 by the original owner when he was in the Air Force and deployed. I have a picture of him wearing it in uniform back then. The 6139 was purchased by the original owner in Hong Kong in 1973.

Wearing this today on a thick, vintage, NOS rally bracelet I picked up. Fits and feels great. Kind of reminds me of the old "olongapo bracelets" that military guys put on their divers back in the day.

Old 6 April 2020, 08:01 AM   #7
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
I buy my pieces on eBay from sellers who are cleaning out a junk drawer, selling grandpa's old watch, or found them at an estate sale. This way I'm buying original honest examples with original parts and unpolished cases. I tend to stay away from professional sellers.

I have my local watchmaker clean and service them or I know a couple Seiko fanatics that do work out of their homes.

Here is a small sampling of my vintage pieces purchased on eBay and restored. I have 7 others out for servicing.

These are next to be restored

Very nice brother... If I can find something that is fully restored local to us... I’d be incline to pick up maybe a small collection over time

Also who does your restoration work
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:14 AM   #8
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice brother... If I can find something that is fully restored local to us... I’d be incline to pick up maybe a small collection over time

Thank you!

My local guy is THIS GUY. His name is Adam. Third generation watchmaker. He's serviced my vintage Rolex and Seikos. An authorized repair shop for many brands like TAG, Omega, Cartier, Chronoswiss, etc... I'm a regular there. I recommend him without hesitation. Honest as the day is long and very, very competent. His equipment and operation is very impressive and the highest professional standards of maintaining a clean, dust free environment. I've had to suit up to go in and get a tour!

I also have a couple sources from a Seiko forum that do work for me in their homes. Cheaper than my watchmaker who has a brick and mortar store to support.

Outside of eBay I'm not real certain of a brick and mortar place by us that has an inventory on display of vintage Seikos to choose from. Maybe you can see if there are online classifieds selling serviced examples. I know there are a few websites that service and sell them but they're at a premium. Maybe somebody reading this has one for sale for you.

It's an expensive hobby! I can get a great deal on one on eBay for like $350 for a chronograph and pay another $300 to have it fully cleaned, serviced, new mainspring, crystal and gaskets, ready for daily use. Sometimes it can be a little more than the watch might be worth but I'm not into these for investments although maybe in a couple decades when I go to sell, I'll get my money back
Old 6 April 2020, 07:31 PM   #9
blcblc
"TRF" Member

Nice collection . I love vintage seikos too.

Quote:

blcblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:32 PM   #10
blcblc
"TRF" Member

Nice collection . I love vintage seikos too

Quote:
I buy my pieces on eBay from sellers who are cleaning out a junk drawer, selling grandpa's old watch, or found them at an estate sale. This way I'm buying original honest examples with original parts and unpolished cases. I tend to stay away from professional sellers. I'm a vintage Seiko fanatic! Mainly divers and chronographs.

Here is a small sampling of my vintage pieces purchased on eBay and restored. I have 7 others out for servicing - a 6105 Willard Proof/Proof, 2 6138's, 3 6139's, and an old Skyliner dress watch.

EDIT: Sorry fellas, I see a couple are upside down!

These are next to be restored. The 6105 was purchased in Thailand in 1970 by the original owner when he was in the Air Force and deployed. I have a picture of him wearing it in uniform back then. The 6139 was purchased by the original owner in Hong Kong in 1973.

Wearing this today on a thick, vintage, NOS rally bracelet I picked up. Fits and feels great. Kind of reminds me of the old "olongapo bracelets" that military guys put on their divers back in the day.

blcblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:37 PM   #11
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blcblc View Post
Nice collection . I love vintage seikos too

Thank you very much!

Sent from Crapatalk
Old 6 April 2020, 11:11 PM   #12
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I need a vintage diver. Thanks for the info!
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 11:13 PM   #13
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
+1. Adam is fantastic to deal with.
+2

I bought a vintage Seiko from Adam. The guy is awesome. Plus he has lots of choices.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote