The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 2 July 2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Covi101
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub
MB Ballpoint Pen - Which one?

Gents,

Now that I have my Fountain Pen figured out and I already have theMEISTERSTÜCK PLATINUM-COATED CLASSIQUE ROLLERBALL. I want a MB Ballpoint. I want something a little bigger and different than my classic MB Rollerball. Below are few options I'm thinking about, in the order of my top pics, any advice or thoughts are welcome! Thank you!

1)MEISTERSTÜCK SOLITAIRE BLUE HOUR MIDSIZE BALLPOINT PENhttp://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/writing-instruments/meisterstueck/112891-meisterstueck-solitaire-blue-hour-midsize-ballpoint-pen.html

2)JOHANNES BRAHMS SPECIAL EDITION BALLPOINT PENhttp://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/writing-instruments/great-characters-edition/107452-Johannes-Brahms-Special-Edition-Ballpoint-Pen.html

3)JOHN F. KENNEDY SPECIAL EDITION BALLPOINT PENhttp://www.montblanc.com/en-us/collection/writing-instruments/great-characters-edition/111046-john-f_-kennedy-special-edition-ballpoint-pen.html
Covi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
No! I hate to be adverse, but if you are going to invest in a MB, please take some time and consider a MB fountain pen!

They hold their value. The are extremely good writers! You will look down on your pen and be deeply satisfied!

Your heirs will be able to sell you collection at 1.4 times their value.....
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
No! I hate to be adverse, but if you are going to invest in a MB, please take some time and consider a MB fountain pen!

They hold their value. The are extremely good writers! You will look down on your pen and be deeply satisfied!

Your heirs will be able to sell you collection at 1.4 times their value.....
I agree 100%. I bought a Montblanc starwalker midnight ballpoint from a purely work perspective years ago. It writes very nice and I even use Montblanc refills but it's about as interesting to write with as watching paint dry. Ok not that bad. It's very smooth and puts down a razor fine line BUT I never use it now that I have fountain pens. I hate to say it but honestly I don't even know where it is right now. Kind of concerned about that because it wasn't cheap!! I just got a Montblanc with a 14kt nib today and I can easily see using it everyday. It's eerily good on cheap paper. It kind of creeps me out even.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Rogdogg
2024 Pledge Member

I recently bought the MB Solitaire Blue Hour LeGrand fountain pen as my first ever nice pen and I am really enjoying it. I tried the rollerball which I loved too but after deciding to invest so much in a pen I realised it had to be a fountain pen. It holds its value, it's fun to write with as I learn to do so more and more and switching inks, refilling and rinsing out is fun too.
I've no doubts I made the right decision now having had it a couple of weeks or so. My only dilemma now is whether or not to send it away to have the nib changed from medium to fine.

Does anyone have any input or opinions on MB medium versus fine nibs. I think I would prefer a slightly thinner line when I write although after the ink drys on the medium nib it does leave a very attractive text
Old 5 July 2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
I recently bought the MB Solitaire Blue Hour LeGrand fountain pen as my first ever nice pen and I am really enjoying it. I tried the rollerball which I loved too but after deciding to invest so much in a pen I realised it had to be a fountain pen. It holds its value, it's fun to write with as I learn to do so more and more and switching inks, refilling and rinsing out is fun too.
I've no doubts I made the right decision now having had it a couple of weeks or so. My only dilemma now is whether or not to send it away to have the nib changed from medium to fine.

Does anyone have any input or opinions on MB medium versus fine nibs. I think I would prefer a slightly thinner line when I write although after the ink drys on the medium nib it does leave a very attractive text
How do you like the "feel" of the medium nib? Fine nibs tend to be a little more scratchy. Maybe not with a Montblance but every other pen I have, the fine nibs are not as smooth as a medium. Maybe someone with a Montblanc fine nib can chime in here.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 6 July 2016, 01:43 PM   #6
Rogdogg
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
How do you like the "feel" of the medium nib? Fine nibs tend to be a little more scratchy. Maybe not with a Montblance but every other pen I have, the fine nibs are not as smooth as a medium. Maybe someone with a Montblanc fine nib can chime in here.
Sorry for the delay in replying to you. I like the feel of the medium nib I just sometimes think that I would like a slightly finer writing. It feels like I'm very satisfied but not 100% sure I have the right nib, as I probably should be after spending so much on a fountain pen.
I am going to start going back to the shop to try the different nibs of the test pens.
When I bought the pen the medium nob was the only option I had to actually buy it with but I have 6 weeks to return and have the nib changed for free to whichever one I like.
Old 6 July 2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
Sorry for the delay in replying to you. I like the feel of the medium nib I just sometimes think that I would like a slightly finer writing. It feels like I'm very satisfied but not 100% sure I have the right nib, as I probably should be after spending so much on a fountain pen.
I am going to start going back to the shop to try the different nibs of the test pens.
When I bought the pen the medium nob was the only option I had to actually buy it with but I have 6 weeks to return and have the nib changed for free to whichever one I like.
If you're not 100% satisfied then you should go for the fine nib for sure. Please post what you think of a fine MB nib once you get the nib swapped out. I'm interested to know how these are.
Old 7 July 2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Listen guys...

Acquire whatever nib you deem likable, but do not discount spending and extra $30 - $40 to have a nibmeister make your pen into the perfect writing instrument.

I am lucky enough to have a world class nibmeister here in our area. I have taken $800.00 fountain pens to her (Sherrill Tyree) and had her take those pens and turn them into heirlooms!

Spend the money and get the pen that you desire. And then consider investing $ into turning a pen you like into a pen you cannot live without.

I have an Omas Arco Dama that cost about $400.00. They are rare. But the medium nib was left lacking. Gave it to Sherill and two weeks later I had a FP that I will never part with. Just completely satisfying in every way. Incredible! Truly!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 12:05 PM   #9
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I vote for the JFK. This is the rollerball but it is a superb pen. Only issue I have with it is the cap does not post so I find that it sits in the briefcase a lot more than the Legrande.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2016, 05:36 PM   #10
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Listen guys...

Acquire whatever nib you deem likable, but do not discount spending and extra $30 - $40 to have a nibmeister make your pen into the perfect writing instrument.

I am lucky enough to have a world class nibmeister here in our area. I have taken $800.00 fountain pens to her (Sherrill Tyree) and had her take those pens and turn them into heirlooms!

Spend the money and get the pen that you desire. And then consider investing $ into turning a pen you like into a pen you cannot live without.

I have an Omas Arco Dama that cost about $400.00. They are rare. But the medium nib was left lacking. Gave it to Sherill and two weeks later I had a FP that I will never part with. Just completely satisfying in every way. Incredible! Truly!
I've not quite reached the point were I've sent a pen off to a professional nibmeister but I've put hours of amateur nibmeistering in to get most of my pens to even.....work..... let alone make them epic nibs. I can foresee sending a few out for work though one day. The price of professional work done to a nib is more than reasonable I think. The cost of these nibs can be a couple hundred bucks and the amount of time to work on them several hours. I really have never had a nib from the factory that was just spectacular. The best nib of my nibs I would say is my Visconti Wall Street LE 14kt and even that one has developed "baby's bottom" recently. Out of nowhere. It was great for several months and then BAM! Hard starts. So yeah a nibmeister is worth every penny I would say. Would have saved me hours of work but I like tinkering so I've done all of my own work thus far. Very slowly and very carefully I might add. Nibmeister worth every penny if you don't want to "have at it".