The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 February 2009, 08:12 AM   #1
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Do you trust those new ceramic bezels ?

Ok,made up my mind to wait for some Basel 2009 news for my next ceramic Sub,possibly trying to pick a new 116619 WG on the way if the SS will be furterly delayed.

The thing is while I've finally started to use my LV for everything I do,I'm not sure the ceramic bezel will stand some extra abuse as the old bezel does.
Any opinions and experience beside the usual " ceramic doesn't scratch but can shatter" thing ??
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:14 AM   #2
SirLoki
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
from my understanding, the cermaic bezel is coated and its not a full ceramic constructed piece. really no need to worry about the shattering. Rolex probably "upgraded" the bezel so people like me who own a 16710 gmt dont have the luxury of changing bezels. Same goes for the LV sub swapping bezel to create a traditional looking sub with maxi.

owning both a 116710 and 116660 with cermaic bezels; i feel that the bezel not only looks more flashy but can and will stand up to the test of time.

RIP JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
The best bastidization I've ever seen on TRF!!
SirLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:16 AM   #3
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

I've banged mine lots of times on hard surfaces and it still looks brand new

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:19 AM   #4
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Sea Dwell
stronger, and supposedly wont scratch...

but, $800 to replace
touchdowntodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:19 AM   #5
mfer
"TRF" Member

Agreed. Hit it hard a couple times. No harm.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:21 AM   #6
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Of all the GMTc's sold since released I've never heard of any breakage or even a scratch.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:21 AM   #7
ps3boy

well theres got to be a negative about the ceramic...besides its high replacement price!!!!i mean it is virtually scratch and corrosion resistant...but whats the bad part about it honestly?
ps3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:24 AM   #8
mretzloff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
I do not understand where you guys are getting this bogus about it being harder. Unless Rolex treats or coats the ceramic, it's actually a very brittle material. If you don't believe me, purchase a ceramic knife, drop it in the sink, and see what happens.

"M" 16610 Submariner
"M" 16570w Explorer II
mretzloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:26 AM   #9
ps3boy

ohh there we go...its more brittle!!!!! damn you gotta be careful with the bezel then!!!!!
Old 4 February 2009, 08:29 AM   #10
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
I do not understand where you guys are getting this bogus about it being harder. Unless Rolex treats or coats the ceramic, it's actually a very brittle material. If you don't believe me, purchase a ceramic knife, drop it in the sink, and see what happens.

this is the point. I mean..I've inspected one closely...that bezel is just....ceramic. Beautifully done and refined,but ceramic.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:30 AM   #11
mretzloff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3boy View Post
ohh there we go...its more brittle!!!!! damn you gotta be careful with the bezel then!!!!!
This has nothing to do with bashing the bezel. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact. Ceramic is naturally a brittle metal, like it or not.

"M" 16610 Submariner
"M" 16570w Explorer II
mretzloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:30 AM   #12
sbakar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hardness and toughness usually vary inversely. Although ceramic is very hard, it is not very tough (i.e. it is brittle). It is toughness that determines how easily the material shatters.

SNB
Old 4 February 2009, 08:41 AM   #13
ps3boy

dang why would they do that then? yeah it looks nice..but its brittle and really expensive to replace!!!!! i'd rather stick to older bezels then.
Old 4 February 2009, 08:42 AM   #14
sbakar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3boy View Post
dang why would they do that then? yeah it looks nice..but its brittle and really expensive to replace!!!!! i'd rather stick to older bezels then.
How thick is the ceramic bezel, and how well is it supported from behind? Has anyone seen the under side?

SNB
Old 4 February 2009, 08:42 AM   #15
wristworks
Banned

Saphire Crystal is the same for that matter though. I've chipped my crystal. Guess what I chipped it on.........a ceramic sink! Didn't harm the sink though.
wristworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:43 AM   #16
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
stronger, and supposedly wont scratch...

but, $800 to replace
Wow, I did not know that

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 08:44 AM   #17
sbakar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
Wow, I did not know that

You can buy several toilets for that price

SNB
Old 4 February 2009, 08:48 AM   #18
AIKO
"TRF" Member

I do not own a Rolex with ceramic bezel. However, if ceramic bezels were breaking and chipping, people would be screaming bloody murder. I have heard very little-if anything along those lines. I am sure there have been an issue here and there but all watches have issues. For ceramic to be a "problem", we would see a pattern of this issue that does not seem to exist. I would have no problem buying a Rolex with a ceramic bezel.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 09:12 AM   #19
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)
Quote:
I dunno, when I was in high school I played baseball and used a ceramic bat. It never shattered on me, and it saw some pretty extreme abuse that I would never wish on a Rolex.

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
ippon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 09:14 AM   #20
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
I have not read or heard of anyone having a problem with the bezel.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 09:23 AM   #21
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
This feature is still too new. People are still in the novelty stage you know the baby stage.(desk diving and keeping the watch clean) Somebody got to go diving and bang it around on a few rocks to see how well it does and did anyone consider how impractical the solid links are for diving and being put to the dirt. Hollow links wear less as they were designed for staying clean by not traping dirt around the parts of the links that move around by being hollow.
RolexPete32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 09:26 AM   #22
sbakar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blendhpi View Post
This feature is still too new. People are still in the novelty stage you know the baby stage.(desk diving and keeping the watch clean) Somebody got to go diving and bang it around on a few rocks to see how well it does and did anyone consider how impractical the solid links are for diving and being put to the dirt. Hollow links wear less as they were designed for staying clean by not traping dirt around the parts of the links that move around by being hollow.
In the medical world, this item (or a drug, for e.g.) is in the PANACEA phase of its life-cycle, where people think the new item is the best thing since sliced bread. The next phase is the POISON phase, where some foible is exposed and people over-react. Finally, there is grudging acceptance as a viable alternative i the PEDESTRIAN phase, in which usage is stable and cautious.

Think of rofecoxib (Vioxx).

SNB
Old 4 February 2009, 09:37 AM   #23
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
Great Analogy. Impressive. You must work in the medical profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakar View Post
In the medical world, this item (or a drug, for e.g.) is in the PANACEA phase of its life-cycle, where people think the new item is the best thing since sliced bread. The next phase is the POISON phase, where some foible is exposed and people over-react. Finally, there is grudging acceptance as a viable alternative i the PEDESTRIAN phase, in which usage is stable and cautious.

SNB
RolexPete32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 09:49 AM   #24
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Sea Dwell
you guys are thinking ceramic like pottery, thats weak.. ceramic can be a VERY VERY strong material... just like the gentlmen said about the bats, uve used those before as well

ps- there was a thread here where someone had a small dent in one... seems like he musta hit it hard enough to really hurt a regular bezel
touchdowntodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 10:31 AM   #25
pepemaui
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKO View Post
I do not own a Rolex with ceramic bezel. However, if ceramic bezels were breaking and chipping, people would be screaming bloody murder. I have heard very little-if anything along those lines. I am sure there have been an issue here and there but all watches have issues. For ceramic to be a "problem", we would see a pattern of this issue that does not seem to exist. I would have no problem buying a Rolex with a ceramic bezel.
Exactly, can you imagine the $ in r&d rolex has put in to this new product. I would not believe they would spend MILLIONS on research to put this into the public market place and be wrong. Its not going to happen.
pepemaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 11:00 AM   #26
sbakar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blendhpi View Post
Great Analogy. Impressive. You must work in the medical profession.
Just an M1 in med school

SNB
Old 4 February 2009, 11:05 AM   #27
mike
"TRF" Member

I can only say I've had no problems with mine. I've not exactly babied them.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 11:13 AM   #28
scottjal
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Also the bezel is recessed below the stainless bezel ring and below the sapphire crystal. You would have to hit the corner or something to even come in contact with the bezel.

I already have a couple good dents in the stainless bezel ring from door frames etc but the bezel is perfection still.
Old 4 February 2009, 12:27 PM   #29
clenz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 - GMTIIC
I really do think that the ceramic bezel is virtually indestructible. The way it sits in the watch, it seems that the crystal is more likely to shatter than the bezel. I have not exactly abused mine, but it does at least seem impossible to scratch.
That said, the one thing that I would be worried about over time is the precious metal used to coat the numbers. It does seem that I have a "scuff" in the triangle - must be from something I banged it on. This is the only thing that seems like it would "wear" as it ages.

GMT MASTER II C 116710

clenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2009, 12:40 PM   #30
AIKO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakar View Post

SNB

Is the anology or thought that people like the ceramic because it is new? What is the Vioxx connection? Just curious.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote