The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 May 2024, 05:30 AM   #1
J..T
"TRF" Member

Rolex 8171 calendar question

Hi everyone,

I know Rolex 8171 is a simple triple calendar watch and not perpetual.
My question is, at the end of the months with 31 day does the month indicator change automatically or do you have to change manually?

I would greatly appreciate it if any owners with first hand information can chime in.
J..T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 04:07 PM   #2
oysterfisher
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum. A "heavy hitter" first post in the vintage section... Nice Topic!

The Oyster Perpetual 8171 aka "Padellone" is a triple calendar watch which always walk through 31 days each month. The outer ring of the dial shows the counter from 1 up to 31 in a round and the pointer hand indicates it. The watch "dont understand" if a month has 28,30 or 31 days. It automatically counts the until 31. So you need to push the pin dot at around 4 o`clock position to set it. Be careful that you dont do this in the "date change time frame (approx 6PM to 6AM)".
The red circled "teeth" adjusts in that frame the date (one step further) and could brake.
(courtesy of orologeria.com)

I assume you bought this watch last week? - Thats the latest sold example.
If so, keep in mind that 70-80% of the value is the dial, which is -in this watch- refinished / restored. (noted in the description)

Anyway one of the coolest watches and a true gem, like the counterpart brother (Ref 6062).
oysterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2024, 02:02 AM   #3
J..T
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much Oysterfisher for your welcome message.

Actually I have owned my yellow gold 8171 for over 25 years along with a number of other triple calendar moonphase watches. (Omega and V&C).

My other triple calendar watches at the end of every month no matter how many days in the month I need to adjust the month display manually with the pushers on the side, but the 8171 will change the month for the months that have 31 days automatically to the next month without me doing any adjustments.
I wanted to know if all 8171's are like this?

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 3 May 2024, 09:02 AM   #4
J..T
"TRF" Member

Thank you oysterfisher for the welcome message and the reply.

I have owned this yg 8171 for over 25 years alongside a number of other triple calendar moonphase watches from other manufactures. (Omega and V&C).
My other simple calendar watches the month display needs to be adjusted at the end of the month no matter 30 or 31 days in the month. But my 8171 will automatically change the month display at the end of the 31 day cycle. (obviously its not a perpetual calendar to know which months are 30 or 31 days).
I just want to know if this is a normal function of the Rolex 8171?

Perhaps other 8171 owners can chime in regarding the month function.

Thanks again.