The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 September 2021, 04:06 AM   #631
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex Theft by Home Break-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsetoe View Post
Wow fantastic read and congrats on getting a few back? Are you going to get it appraised because market value is insane right now

When I get home I must do that for the insurance company. Right now they’ll cover it for MSRP ($75K). They also want to be sure my safe is sturdy enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by japer View Post
Wow, that hurts! Just today is was wondering where to hide the watches, do not have a safe. I feel for you, can’t believe people just go in a house and steel what someone has worked sp hard for!

I can tell you places the burglars didn’t check…dirty laundry hamper, under the mattress, bottom of kitchen trash can…

But not suggesting those for your watches!

I was fortunate that the home wasn’t vandalized or worse. They found more valuables than in the 4 earlier burglaries they had done in the previous 2 weeks. So sad that so many have gone to such a life - don’t have the answers for it but thanks for your empathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Congrats Paul! I remember reading this whole thread way back when. I missed the good news in August, but re-opened the thread this morning and saw the good news. That's truly fantastic! So glad you got two pieces back. Wow!

Thanks! It is still a big deal for me - the other people here at the track can’t believe it. If it was a movie, I wouldn’t believe the twists, turns and plot changes…

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post
Simply amazing. Wow. Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Many congrats, mate! TBH I did think a guy like you Paul would somehow* find a way to get the watches back with a bit of luck ofc, you're a closer.

*Talk/Walk Softly…Carry Big Stick

Thanks much - and you’re right about good fortune smiling upon me…

I feel as though I’ve used up 7 years of good luck in the past 90 days…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 04:25 AM   #632
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Well, the Platona has landed. It is in perfect condition.

It and I are at Indy for a week’s worth of races and am so very grateful to the dozen or more people who helped.

Rolex USA, Rolex UK, the Kent UK Police plus Jewelers here in US, in the UK and motorsports associates too.

Happy, happy day!

A happy ending! Enjoy it. You’ve certainly earned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 11:21 AM   #633
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
The timing is very coincidental, whoever it was most likely knew you had a family emergency and that you probably left in a rush, also the layout of your house so to know where you might keep your watches
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2021, 11:40 AM   #634
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkdog View Post
The timing is very coincidental, whoever it was most likely knew you had a family emergency and that you probably left in a rush, also the layout of your house so to know where you might keep your watches

Thanks for mentioning those thoughts. It gives me a chance to fill-in some gaps.

The case was solved with the help of my nextdoor neighbor, the detective in charge and the surveillance cameras that proliferate nowadays.

The burglars were using drugs and funding that habit by serial robberies beginning in a nearby town, then my town, and were finally caught in another, different nearby town.

I am sharing this now because both have been convicted, one has served her sentence and the other is still in Prison.

But wasn’t at all connected with my need to rush out of town for the family emergency. I did think that at the time, but here is how we know.

The lead burglar had a history of this behavior and had been convicted before. Was out on parole/probation.

He always used a young girl (teenager) to “case” a neighborhood by knocking on doors and asking anyone who answered the knock,”I’m looking for a lost dog - have you seen a small Yorkie?”

If the door knock was answered, that address was struck off their list. My door wasn’t answered so I made it to the next list of potential targets. Then they assessed which home might be less visible to the road and nextdoor homes.

So I drew the “unlucky” straw as it were. But my small neighborhood has beautiful people that I would never wish this upon. When they said sorry it was me, I always said I felt better that is wasn’t them.

How did my nextdoor neighbor help? She remembered a girl coming to the door. I tied that information into my narrative to the detective and bingo, that same MO had been used in 3 prior burglaries in the recent weeks before mine.

This was a string of random burglaries with little preparation as I described.

The cameras? My neighbor up the road had just put in a new ADT video system. He pointed one camera towards his driveway and it caught the burglars car leaving our neighborhood. Detectives only knew the make and model from a side shot.

They later tied it into another burglary where a video camera caught same car in a different city and other cameras caught the license plate at an intersection.

Then sheriffs loaded that data into their LPR computers. Then a few days later, the lead burglar was caught after a random hit as he drove by a sheriff - who then chased and captured him.

Guess what was in the car?
Half of my wife’s jewelry just as I had described it.

Bingo. Great police work. Great neighbor and security cameras.

Old 28 September 2021, 11:51 AM   #635
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoPAPAmus View Post
A happy ending! Enjoy it. You’ve certainly earned it.

Yes it certainly is - am blessed that so many worked hard to get this done.

Old 5 January 2022, 09:47 AM   #636
winston
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
As an owner of a Platinum Daytona I know how owners must love theirs too.. to have lost it in these terrible circumstances must have been awful. So getting it back must be an incredible feeling. So glad this has happened for you Paul. Best wishes and enjoy… David x
Old 5 January 2022, 09:53 AM   #637
77T

Definitely has been a wonderful time to see it returned.

Old 5 January 2022, 10:20 AM   #638
Comewatchme
Banned

Watch: Me
A very sad one, just move forward. It's all good my friend.
Comewatchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 10:44 AM   #639
tquieng
"TRF" Member

Was it a grab and run? Or they had time to break a safe?
tquieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 11:09 AM   #640
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tquieng View Post
Was it a grab and run? Or they had time to break a safe?
No - it was a routine burglary. Long story but for the Platona recovery a happy ending.

Quote:
=Comewatchme;11909294]A very sad one, just move forward. It's all good my friend.
This is a long thread so easy not to have seen that I recovered the Platona.

4 years ago, it was a sad time. And the great members here helped lift my spirits.

I did move forward, the perpetrators imprisoned, 2 Rolexes recovered of the 4 that were stolen.

In all, I’ve been blessed methinks.

Old 5 January 2022, 02:49 PM   #641
justin81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I remember this thread and can hardly believe it’s been so long. I had just joined TRF and bought my first Rolex (BLNR) 2 days later.

I’m so glad for this happy outcome for you and I hope the rest are recovered, especially the most sentimental one.

Your positive attitude and class are inspiring and uplifting, same for the people who helped along the way. It’s no wonder you have wonderful friends and neighbors.
justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 06:14 PM   #642
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Fantastic news and thanks for the update!!
Old 5 January 2022, 10:21 PM   #643
77T

Thanks guys

Old 5 January 2022, 10:37 PM   #644
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Great news! There will always be good Samaritans in our midst. Take care and stay safe.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 10:57 PM   #645
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Just caught up with the post.

OP - you’re an inspiration in every way. Thank you.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 11:03 PM   #646
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Paul, I just saw this whole thread. Quite the roller coaster. I am so glad that you were able to recover two of thr watches including your platona. Sounds unbelievable but it really is true!
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 11:30 PM   #647
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Just caught up with the post.
OP - you’re an inspiration in every way. Thank you.
I don’t know that I am - none of us can control what comes next in our lives. But what we can control is how we deal with it.

By nature, I was a less patient person before this experience. I had to learn more compassion and patience than before.

For myself, however the future unfolds from here, I gained a renewed appreciation for the human spirit from all of you and those who helped me along the way.

If it matters, I called the prosecutors last month and vacated my claim for any restitution from the burglars convicted and serving their sentences... The uplift of the Platona recovery is amazing so this is what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Great news! There will always be good Samaritans in our midst. Take care and stay safe.

True - the Hatton Garden dealer who imported the Platona was key in settling the recovery with RolexUK. Once he saw this thread, he knew my claim was legitimate. He refunded sales proceeds through the chain of owners that transpired in London.

Without that help, the final buyer (an unwitting honest buyer) would have perhaps taken his claim to court and it could have dragged out for a year ot more longer.

Matt at Triple Six is a true Good Samaritan in the recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeK View Post
Paul, I just saw this whole thread. Quite the roller coaster. I am so glad that you were able to recover two of thr watches including your platona. Sounds unbelievable but it really is true!

Thanks - if you were in a bar and heard this from me you’d think I was making it up.

Now I’m focusing on the final 2 Rolexes still out there “on the loose” in the Vintage sections since they are older models that might not see an RSC.

My hope is to find them too.

And before someone’s beloved grandpa or grandma buys them ahead of their own “eternal celestial homecoming”.

The family would be crushed and I’d be torn about it emotionally. But I still have some hopes to get them back for my own kids.

Old 6 January 2022, 01:31 AM   #648
NebHusker23
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear. I hope these guys get caught.
NebHusker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 03:01 AM   #649
TopDog2315
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/16570/16220
Sorry to hear this… Unfortunately, I have to admit that it has happened to me as well and I know the feeling.

I hope they get caught and that you end up getting your timepieces back.

Stay safe!

Cheers,

TopDog2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 05:39 AM   #650
Kt92
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Yachtmaster
I just read through all 22 pages of this saga and am just wowed, awed, and humbled by all of it and especially by the OP. The happy outcome (so far) totally made my day - and I can only imagine how you felt when your watch landed back on your arm! Best wishes and best of luck recovering the other two and thank you for bringing us along.
Kt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 08:07 AM   #651
77T

Thanks everyone and yes the watch got on my arm last September while we were racing at Indy

Appreciate all the thoughts you’ve shared - and the quest continues for the final 2!

Old 7 January 2022, 04:33 AM   #652
OrwellianNightmare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Just binged the entire thread. What an incredible story. And, it's not even over yet!

All the best mate. I really hope you get the other two back.
OrwellianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 02:54 PM   #653
jcapulet786
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36MM
I read through all 22 pages.

You sir are a gem, congratulations on getting 2 of them back.

I aspire to be like you.

Be safe
jcapulet786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2022, 06:52 PM   #654
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrwellianNightmare View Post
Just binged the entire thread. What an incredible story. And, it's not even over yet!

All the best mate. I really hope you get the other two back.

Thanks - I will keep trying - and in that vein, let me enter the last 2 stolen watches vital details in plain text. That is what lifted this thread in Google search results when the UK dealer needed to validate what Rolex UK told his customer…

The Men’s Day-Date is 36mm yellow gold on a strap (well, was on a strap when stolen). Has a “Smokey Gold” Wide Boy dial. I know that isn’t a proper name for it but best visual description. It was bought from a dealer here on the forum. The hands had been replaced and not correct for that dial as you’ll see in the photo’s. Serial number 2600527.

The Ladies Oyster Perpetual is 26mm bi-metal, two-tone on a Jubilee bracelet. Has a black Diamond dial all original from factory. Bought new in 2001 with a fluted bezel. It had a custom diamond bezel installed at the time of the burglary 4 years ago. It may have been removed so could have a generic bezel by now. Serial number K302125.

Just trying to repeat the details - especially:
Serial number 2600527 and
Serial number K302125.

Old 7 January 2022, 06:58 PM   #655
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapulet786 View Post
I read through all 22 pages.

You sir are a gem, congratulations on getting 2 of them back.

I aspire to be like you.

Be safe

Appreciate those kind words - I’m not that different than any of our sort of members here. Much of the generosity of spirit we see on the forum makes us want to help each other.

Expand that effort toward those we meet everyday and the reward is a good feeling you’ll have.

Old 8 January 2022, 12:41 AM   #656
Rolesor_66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, FOIS,
Sorry to hear that!
Make sure that you file for a police report of the stolen models and serial numbers, then notify your local AD service to send over the information to Rolex. Best of luck moving forward!
Rolesor_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2022, 12:59 AM   #657
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Following this over the years. I’m happy that you had your watch returned. It must have been an amazing feeling. Hope the rest are returned soon. By the way. We toured the Indy track over Christmas vacation and loved it. Plan to go the Daytona track this weekend. Or very soon.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2022, 01:24 AM   #658
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
Following this over the years. I’m happy that you had your watch returned. It must have been an amazing feeling. Hope the rest are returned soon. By the way. We toured the Indy track over Christmas vacation and loved it. Plan to go the Daytona track this weekend. Or very soon.

Thanks - yes “the Captain” is investing more and more @ Indy. Was impressed by the Museum. Putting 900 drivers on track over a week’s time is daunting.

We’re racing Homestead-Miami this weekend, then Sebring next weekend. “Small” fields of 250+ and 400+ respectively

Hope you enjoy Daytona - if they are offering hot rides it’s worth the experience.

Old 8 January 2022, 01:28 AM   #659
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolesor_66 View Post
Sorry to hear that!
Make sure that you file for a police report of the stolen models and serial numbers, then notify your local AD service to send over the information to Rolex. Best of luck moving forward!

That is good advice for everyone who has has this happen.

In my case, did all that 4 years ago. That’s how the recoveries have happens thus far.

Old 8 January 2022, 01:40 AM   #660
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks - yes “the Captain” is investing more and more @ Indy. Was impressed by the Museum. Putting 900 drivers on track over a week’s time is daunting.

We’re racing Homestead-Miami this weekend, then Sebring next weekend. “Small” fields of 250+ and 400+ respectively

Hope you enjoy Daytona - if they are offering hot rides it’s worth the experience.

We have never been into racing but enjoyed the museum. We drive past the Daytona track and do often last weekend. So figured let’s give it a look. The people at Indy were very nice to us. There is a small track in Samsula Fla, about 30 mins away from Daytona, might be considered New Smyrna. We might just go watch a race and see how that goes. You never know. Racing could be our next thing.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote