The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 August 2017, 04:22 AM   #1
rbl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bark DD
Spending a week in Tokyo in September, need all tips and recommendations!!!

I'm fortunate to have a long week in Tokyo with my wife. I'm thinking of getting hotel in shinjuku area and might take a few day trips. One particular question I have is where to look at some Seiko's, and if buying in Japan is a reasonable thing (are Tokyo prices outrageous etc.).

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 06:21 AM   #2
towernick
Banned

We stayed at the Hilton in Shinjuku which was great because the massive train station in Shinjuku makes it easy to get to any part of the city you want to go. We splurged for sushi at Kyubey, located in the Ginza area, which is constantly rated high in Tokyo. My favorite park of being in Tokyo was walking around the different neighborhoods.
towernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:27 AM   #3
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
The hilton is a decent hotel in a good location. In the same area as the Park Hyatt.

As far as things to do, Tokyo is a gigantic city with too much to list. The only must do for me, especially if you like sushi, is going to Sushi Dai in the Tsukiji fish market.

Be there by 4:30am and the line shouldn't be too bad
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 08:49 AM   #4
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Some quick tips on Tokyo:
- Get a Pasmo card from the airport, a smart prepaid card to use for getting on and off trains, which you'll be using constantly. It will save you a lot of time trying to figure out how much it costs etc
- use the JR line that wraps around Tokyo to your nearest destination then connect to the metro line. it's much quicker than navigating through the metro lines alone.
- do not talk on your cell phone when on public transport
- try all the cuisines that are on offer. European food is so good in Japan, much to my surprise.
- no tipping required on Amy of the services provided
- taxi is very expensive but offers a very good service
- visit Disney Sea, if you're young at heart! It's a great day out.
- be preapared to be disappointed if you don't get to see Mt Fuji on your first attempt. She's a notoriously shy mountain. However, when you get to see her, you'll be blown away by her beauty.

Enjoy!, it's a great place for a vacation! My wife and I are there every second yea. We just can't get enough of Japan.
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 12:19 PM   #5
texex91
"TRF" Member

Fish Market.

With jet lag it will be like eating dinner (but at 5am).
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Tokyo is an incredible city. You're going to have an amazing time.

I stayed in Ginza and loved it.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 01:11 PM   #7
rbl
"TRF" Member

Thanks so far for the info. I have a million questions, but here's the first. Here are two hotels I've looked at for shockingly affordable prices. Any thoughts on these two neighborhoods/locations of shinjuku.

(Its the blue dots)

Old 20 August 2017, 01:17 PM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This is the month weather-wise to climb Fuji-san (Mt. Fuji). Go on a tour, they will take you to the 5th station and you walk up the path the rest of the way. takes two days, though (spend the night on or near top).

Otherwise, Shinjuku, Ginza, etc. are all interesting to the tourist. Good luck and have fun.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 02:54 PM   #9
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Both the hotels are conveniently located to the main Shinjuku Stn. You won't have any problem with security etc. The one thing you will surprised with is the size of the rooms! I'm pretty sure at the prices shown, the rooms wouldn't be any more than 12-15 sqm in size. Accommodation is just hideously expensive in Tokyo.
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 03:46 AM   #10
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Interested in this thread as wife and I will be going to Tokyo in mid-December. I have been to Tokyo before for work and stayed closer to the Minato area since it was close to the office.

Is the Shinjuku area the best place to stay or really any hotel close to the subway? Thanks for the tips.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 02:32 AM   #11
rbl
"TRF" Member

I was also wondering if anyone has any particular things they've enjoyed doing/seeing in Tokyo. I'm sure there's a million things, but it's always nice to hear personal experiences.

Old 25 August 2017, 08:51 AM   #12
Springfield
"TRF" Member

I was in Japan for two weeks last November and spent a week of that in Tokyo. I will try to post some information this weekend.

I personally would recommend the Tokyo Station Hotel, but it is not in Shinjuku.

Here is a thread about my trip, but it does not have a lot of detail in it: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=508037
Springfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 01:32 PM   #13
young.chi
"TRF" Member

Subscribing as I'll be there for the first time as well in September (but with several childhood friends)

Also curious on what's good to buy there. Maybe Japanese brand clothes? European designers are way pricier over there for some reason.

Also - anybody know if Apple Pay works over there now? (Sorry to threadjack a bit)
young.chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 04:14 PM   #14
mschafer
"TRF" Member

We went for an overnight trip to Kyoto, stayed at the Tawaraya, truly immersive once in a lifetime experience. Have dinner there, visit the emperial palace. And as for Tokyo, Tsukiji fish market, sushi for breakfast, that's all I've got. We stayed (and worked) for The Peninsula Hotel, simply amazing, people, location, food, rooms. All well beyond...have fun...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 12:22 AM   #15
rbl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by young.chi View Post
Subscribing as I'll be there for the first time as well in September (but with several childhood friends)

Also curious on what's good to buy there. Maybe Japanese brand clothes? European designers are way pricier over there for some reason.

Also - anybody know if Apple Pay works over there now? (Sorry to threadjack a bit)

For me, there will definitely be some Seiko's and g shocks. I've had a few people at work subtly mention picking up some Pokémon for their kids, and other very Japanese things.

Old 26 August 2017, 07:04 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you are going with your wife stay at the Park Hyatt where they filmed Lost in Translation... thank me later! Sushi at Tsukiji is a must, and if you go on the Shinkansen to Fuji-san they also have the best noodles in Japan round there too. Try to stay the night at a traditional inn, a Ryokan.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 08:14 AM   #17
Magwitch
Banned

They have a really tall tower that has an observation deck. That should be fun!
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 06:11 AM   #18
Springfield
"TRF" Member

Sensoji Temple in the Asakusa district. This is a fairly iconic temple in Tokyo and I would highly making your way to it.

While in this area of Tokyo, I would suggest making your way to Akihabara (geek area/“Electric Town”). This is area filled with gaming, anime, electronics and etc. At night the area and its signs are glowing neon. Try to make your way into the multi-story Club Sega, if no other reason to see some of the locals skillfully play some of the unique rhythmic based games.

Old 3 September 2017, 06:32 AM   #19
Springfield
"TRF" Member

I HIGHLY recommend taking a day trip to Kamakura. It is a seaside Japanese city just south of Tokyo. It less than an hour south of Tokyo and easily accessible by train. It has dozens of Buddhist Zen temples and Shinto shrines, but its biggest attraction is the Great Buddha, a roughly 13m-high bronze statue still standing after a 15th-century tsunami.

While in Japan, I visited Tokyo, Kyoto and Kawaguchiko (view of Mt. Fuji). For me personally, seeing Great Buddha was in my top five experiences.

There are too many temples to take in one day. After seeing the Great Buddha, we took in three or four during our one day in Kamakura.

Old 3 September 2017, 06:41 AM   #20
Springfield
"TRF" Member

Odawara Castle. A quick trip from Tokyo on the bullet train. Odawara Castle is located about a ten minute walk from Odawara Station's East Exit along Ohoribata Street.

Old 3 September 2017, 07:09 AM   #21
Springfield
"TRF" Member

Other suggestions:

Someone above eluded to Tokyo Tower. If you can make time to see it, it is an interesting site due to the view the panoramic view of Tokyo. Once you are up there, peering out the windows, you get a sense how of the MASSIVE of Tokyo. While in the area, you will be close to the temple Engaku-ji.

Everyone should experience the "Scramble Crossing" in Shibuya, Tokyo.

Imperial Palace and the surrounding sites are worth seeing.
Old 3 September 2017, 08:53 AM   #22
Speed
"TRF" Member

If you *really* want to get the insider tour, you need a local fixer who can take you to the best hole-in-the-wall Ramen places / restaurants and bars. Great food to be had in Train stations. Some of the highest rated Ramen places are there.

Things to see in Tokyo:
Imperial Palace
Harajuki - fashion / shopping district
Kamakura - giant bhudda - as mentioned
and numerous others.

For traditional low-brow foods:
Takoyaki - grilled Octopus cooked into round balls on a grill.
Ramen - rich pork / miso broth soup with fresh noodles
Tonkatsu - Pork cutlet delicately fried / served with shredded cabbage & sauce
Oden - steamed fish cakes in broth
Sukiaki (pronounced "Skee-yah-ki" NOT "Soo-kee-yocki") thinly sliced beef cooked tableside
Sushi - sashimi of course

Stay away from Roppongi - tourist / "clubby" area

Walk the streets...explore the neighborhoods. Shop. Eat where you see a ton of folks lined up. New places come and go...try what's hot.

For watches, definitely go the the Mall off the Nakano stop. Jack Road / Betty Road (ladies) Kame Kichi are on the second floor. Huge selection of pre-owned and vintage Rolex. Cannot recall if they had a ton of SEIKO or Grand Seiko.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2017, 02:30 PM   #23
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
If you *really* want to get the insider tour, you need a local fixer who can take you to the best hole-in-the-wall Ramen places / restaurants and bars. Great food to be had in Train stations. Some of the highest rated Ramen places are there.

Things to see in Tokyo:
Imperial Palace
Harajuki - fashion / shopping district
Kamakura - giant bhudda - as mentioned
and numerous others.

For traditional low-brow foods:
Takoyaki - grilled Octopus cooked into round balls on a grill.
Ramen - rich pork / miso broth soup with fresh noodles
Tonkatsu - Pork cutlet delicately fried / served with shredded cabbage & sauce
Oden - steamed fish cakes in broth
Sukiaki (pronounced "Skee-yah-ki" NOT "Soo-kee-yocki") thinly sliced beef cooked tableside
Sushi - sashimi of course

Stay away from Roppongi - tourist / "clubby" area

Walk the streets...explore the neighborhoods. Shop. Eat where you see a ton of folks lined up. New places come and go...try what's hot.

For watches, definitely go the the Mall off the Nakano stop. Jack Road / Betty Road (ladies) Kame Kichi are on the second floor. Huge selection of pre-owned and vintage Rolex. Cannot recall if they had a ton of SEIKO or Grand Seiko.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 01:50 AM   #24
rbl
"TRF" Member

I happen to run across some pictures from my trip. I highly recommend it to all. It was actually much cheaper than I had anticipated. Certainly less expensive than a summer trip to Seattle I took a few years back.