The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2022, 08:12 AM   #31
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

hesalite for me

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 10:29 AM   #32
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I am struggling with the same issue.

Originally, I thought I would prefer the sapphire as I like the applied logo, exhibition back, and the durability of the sapphire.

However, when I saw them together side-by-side, the hesalite definitely looks better.

Why can't they make a hesalite with the applied logo and exhibition back?

Or a sapphire with a more domed crystal (like my Panerai 233)?

I can't think of too many circumstances where I will have a hesalite side-by-side with a sapphire, so I am leaning towards the sapphire.

While I know both are great, neither is exactly what I want in a Speedmaster.

Frustrating. Unlikely an Ed White becomes available while I am deciding...
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 02:05 PM   #33
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I am struggling with the same issue.

Originally, I thought I would prefer the sapphire as I like the applied logo, exhibition back, and the durability of the sapphire.

However, when I saw them together side-by-side, the hesalite definitely looks better.

Why can't they make a hesalite with the applied logo and exhibition back?

Or a sapphire with a more domed crystal (like my Panerai 233)?

I can't think of too many circumstances where I will have a hesalite side-by-side with a sapphire, so I am leaning towards the sapphire.

While I know both are great, neither is exactly what I want in a Speedmaster.

Frustrating. Unlikely an Ed White becomes available while I am deciding...
You can buy an aftermarket caseback from Spiralwinder for the hesalite if you really want an exhibition caseback.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 05:55 PM   #34
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Sapphire for me. Nothing wrong with the way it looks. I have the previous generation, and never lose any sleep over not having the latest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 12:35 AM   #35
Cougar1968
"TRF" Member

Either one is the right choice.
Cougar1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 09:01 AM   #36
watchmaniac
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hesalite for me. I had the previous model with hesi and now the latest version speedy with hesi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 12:02 AM   #37
SvenNikolai
"TRF" Member

My brother owns the 1861 sapphires, which I also really liked. When I bought my 3861 last year, my choice was still the Hesalit. What was significant for me was not the proximity to the original at all, but rather the direct visual comparison between the two. The Hesalit variant actually looked nicer to me. It also looks a bit larger, purely subjective. Further plus points were the completely brushed steel strap and the steel base with the special "Hippocampus" symbol. What I should also mention is that my wife immediately pointed to the Hesalit variant. So the matter was clear to me.

One more thing about the alleged sensitivity regarding the Hesalite, because I was concerned with this point before I bought it. After wearing it for more than half a year, it hasn't got a small scratch, it's absolutely sturdy!
SvenNikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 03:34 AM   #38
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I do not like Hesalite. It's another word for plastic, and I never thought plastic on a watch that costs thousands of dollar swould have even been acceptable (geez, people harp on Seiko for putting mineral glass on hundred dollar watches....cmon....seems like a double standard).

Yes, there is some nostalgic aura to Hesalite as that was the original iteration of the design that NASA approved for use. It doesn't shatter like sapphire could...point taken.

But absent that one small requirement, there is really no advantage of Hesalite, and lots of disadvantages for a luxury sports watch. Everything people seem to harp on about Hesalite being "warmer" and stuff like that is just nostalgia talking. These were actual limitations on clear plastic at the time that were essentially fixed when sapphire was made more readily available for use in watches.

I wonder how many of the people who "like" Hesalite for its warmth and nostalgic feel equally "hate" fauxtina.

I mean people clamor for Ed White's because it's faithful to the design that Ed White wore on his space walk. But even THAT has a sapphire crystal and case back to boot (and really quite necessary to show off that beautiful movement).

I just don't get Hesalite. But that's just me.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 04:05 AM   #39
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I do not like Hesalite. It's another word for plastic, and I never thought plastic on a watch that costs thousands of dollar swould have even been acceptable (geez, people harp on Seiko for putting mineral glass on hundred dollar watches....cmon....seems like a double standard).

Yes, there is some nostalgic aura to Hesalite as that was the original iteration of the design that NASA approved for use. It doesn't shatter like sapphire could...point taken.

But absent that one small requirement, there is really no advantage of Hesalite, and lots of disadvantages for a luxury sports watch. Everything people seem to harp on about Hesalite being "warmer" and stuff like that is just nostalgia talking. These were actual limitations on clear plastic at the time that were essentially fixed when sapphire was made more readily available for use in watches.

I wonder how many of the people who "like" Hesalite for its warmth and nostalgic feel equally "hate" fauxtina.

I mean people clamor for Ed White's because it's faithful to the design that Ed White wore on his space walk. But even THAT has a sapphire crystal and case back to boot (and really quite necessary to show off that beautiful movement).

Main argument for Hesalite vs sapphire on the Speedy is the milky ring effect. My brother has an 1861 Hesalite while I have a FOIS with sapphire and there's a noticeable visual difference with the milky ring.

On the EW 321, Omega reshaped the sapphire to reduce/eliminate this effect.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 04:05 AM   #40
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Love my 1861 hesalite and zero regrets. The shape of the sapphire crystal was really off putting to me. And yes there is a warmth to hesalite.

I’m also a sucker for nostalgia and wanted the “real” moonwatch (or atleast a version that was still approved for space travel or whatever). Don’t ask me why, but this is watches for you.

In the 3 years I’ve had it I’ve used polywatch twice. The first time was after a heavy night out 2 months after buying it and bumping into a door frame.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 08:26 AM   #41
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post

I really enjoy my Speedmaster Pro with its plastic crystal, and for no other reason than I like the way it looks.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 01:08 PM   #42
Paul G.
"TRF" Member

I own a several Rolex, a Panerai, and a Lange. I bought the hesalite a few weeks ago. Can't take it off my wrist. I like the provenance of the hesalite. The display back is cool- but realistically - I am looking at the face of the watch 99% of the time.

FWIW - the bracelet, at least for me, is as comfortable as any watch I own. I am using the mini extension and it is incredibly comfortable (I have a relatively small wrist).
Paul G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 08:08 AM   #43
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I liked the polished bracelet of the sapphire model. Also the exhibition back. I did compare the two side by side at the boutique. I did not buy one yet though.
2thdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2023, 12:12 AM   #44
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I finally pulled the trigger and got a sapphire.

I struggled with this decision and when compared side by side, the hesalite does look nicer. However the hesalite does not have an exhibition back, nor a applied logo, and these factors did contribute to my decision. Also, when looked at in isolation, the sapphire looks great.

It is worth noting, I dismiss the argument that the hesalite is closer to the original watch that went to the moon as both versions share few similarities with the original. This is more and observation than a critisism as major technological improvements have been made in the watch world since the 1960s. These include the movements, the lume, overall size and also the crystal. The only thing the hesalite version has that remotely resembles the original is the antiquated crystal that is hard to maintain. Sort of like buying a modern Porsche, with seats that are manually adjustable (or just an AM/FM radio); you can do it but why?

Also, in my research, I did see the benefits of the Ed White 321 model and would have bought one if it was easier to get. That model does have a movement that went to the moon, is the original size, has a period similar bracelet, but it has a sapphire crystal, and the applied logo.

In some ways, the Ed White is the perfect Moonswatch. I wish it was gettable.

At the end of the day, the sapphire 3861 is more closely aligned with the 321 Ed White than the hesalite 3861 and that is the reason I bought it.

PS: one criticism of the 3861 has been the taper of the bracelet. I agree with this one, and the only thing I wish was different would be if there was less taper in the bracelet.

I am happy with it, but could have easily gone the other way.
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
Old 17 April 2023, 02:02 AM   #45
kearez
"TRF" Member

Interesting comment on the taper of the bracelet. I’m a big fan of the taper myself. A great selling point of the speedmaster is the ability to swap out straps to find the one of you love.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2023, 02:52 AM   #46
Mk2rick
"TRF" Member

hesalite for me, gives it that all important vintage vibe!
Mk2rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2023, 11:12 AM   #47
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

On Instagram, I just saw a post of Neil Armstrong's Speedmaster....it had an applied logo!

Also hesalite crystal.
Old 17 April 2023, 12:12 PM   #48
BayAreaTech
"TRF" Member

Sapphire. No regrets. In my opinion it is not a debate of a version of super plastic vs. sapphire which is the gold standard for all high end watches. Though I also enjoy the Co-Axial movement w/METAS certification, and am not a purist. YMMV.

FWIW - Nobody has ever walked up to me and talked about the 'Milky Ring" effect, which IMHO is way overblown. The watch is stunning.
BayAreaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 06:26 AM   #49
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Okay, I have owned the sapphire sandwich for two weeks and the honeymoon continues.

However, while the bracelet is comfortable, I do not like the look of the taper and wish the bracelet looked more like the ones on the older models (wider center links, less polishing).

Is possible to get an older version of the bracelet that will fit the 3861 sapphire? I have also seen the offerings from Forstner and would consider those if OEM is not available.
Old 1 May 2023, 01:04 PM   #50
Cassian739

Recently sold my 1861 Hesalite, buying a 3861 Sapphire Sandwich. The micro scratches on the Hesalite were starting to drive me INSANE! I don't want to have to polywatch the watch face every so often from normal daily wear, just over it. Plus, I want to see the new 3861 movement. And the milky ring around the watch face is almost nonexistent on the 3861 Sapphire watch face.
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 11:26 PM   #51
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Hesalite.
Old 5 May 2023, 11:40 AM   #52
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I might be helpful here. I owned the 1861 Hesalite Speedmaster Professional. When the new 3861 movement came out, I was looking to sell off my old Speedmaster and replace it. My motivations had a lot to do with the movement; which could be hacked for more accurate time setting. I also liked the bracelet upgrade. Everything else about the case and dial I could really take or leave.

I ended up getting the sapphire 3861 model largely because it helped me justify selling a Speedmaster, spending more money, and getting another Speedmaster. I am glad I did. I get why everyone loves the Hesalite model. I did for sure. That said, the sapphire "feels" higher quality. It feels more in line with my Rolex and IWC collection whereas the Hesalite felt more like a tool. I also realize that the the "tool-like" feeling of the Hesalite model is part of the draw and charm. I just feel the sapphire has really become the standard in terms of what Omega is doing with the Speedmaster Professional. The precious metal variations are basically gold versions of the sapphire 3861. I also liked the subtle polished intermediate links on the bracelet.

For me, and me alone, the Speedmaster went from a "beater" watch that I wore occasionally to my daily wearer constantly fighting with my GMT-Master II for supremacy. I get 100% why people prefer the Hesalite version. It is closer to what the watch was originally meant to be. I just think the Speedmaster is its best self in the sapphire configuration. The "milky ring" does not bother me one bit. I like that the crystal sits flatter making the thickness of the case less.

Good luck. You can't make a wrong choice and I am sure you will end up loving whichever variation you get.
Incredible response!!
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 03:37 AM   #53
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
My wife bought me the 3861 sapphire in March for my 50th.
I love it!
I have had hesalite Speedies before but it's just not for me.
Also I like the display back, not like it's a fancy movement or anything but it's nice to look at on occasion.
I thought Id like the hesalite bracelet more but when I saw them in the flesh I actually liked the Saph more.
It's a great watch and there is no right answer to hesalite or sapphire debate both are great just need to decide which is singing to you

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 03:59 AM   #54
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Both are awesome but every time I compare them I end up preferring the sapphire.
Wrist Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 01:06 AM   #55
msg315
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquephart View Post
Not to mention the engravings are stupid.
msg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 01:10 AM   #56
msg315
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I might be helpful here. I owned the 1861 Hesalite Speedmaster Professional. When the new 3861 movement came out, I was looking to sell off my old Speedmaster and replace it. My motivations had a lot to do with the movement; which could be hacked for more accurate time setting. I also liked the bracelet upgrade. Everything else about the case and dial I could really take or leave.

I ended up getting the sapphire 3861 model largely because it helped me justify selling a Speedmaster, spending more money, and getting another Speedmaster. I am glad I did. I get why everyone loves the Hesalite model. I did for sure. That said, the sapphire "feels" higher quality. It feels more in line with my Rolex and IWC collection whereas the Hesalite felt more like a tool. I also realize that the the "tool-like" feeling of the Hesalite model is part of the draw and charm. I just feel the sapphire has really become the standard in terms of what Omega is doing with the Speedmaster Professional. The precious metal variations are basically gold versions of the sapphire 3861. I also liked the subtle polished intermediate links on the bracelet.

For me, and me alone, the Speedmaster went from a "beater" watch that I wore occasionally to my daily wearer constantly fighting with my GMT-Master II for supremacy. I get 100% why people prefer the Hesalite version. It is closer to what the watch was originally meant to be. I just think the Speedmaster is its best self in the sapphire configuration. The "milky ring" does not bother me one bit. I like that the crystal sits flatter making the thickness of the case less.

Good luck. You can't make a wrong choice and I am sure you will end up loving whichever variation you get.
well said and helpful.
msg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 06:59 AM   #57
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Hesalite all day. How the Speedmaster was designed to be.
GrailTime is online now   Reply With Quote