The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 May 2023, 11:32 PM   #1
enthusiast
"TRF" Member

5402 Classic Parts

Rumor has it that AP now offers a new program for the 5402, providing 1:1 replacement parts for the iconic watch.

Is anybody aware of more details?
enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 10:57 AM   #2
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Its true, problem is the watch has to go back to Switzerland and it takes an exorbitant amount of time to even get an assessment/scope of work. In addition, once you receive it AP will not let you pick and choose what you want to have done to the watch (keep hands, crown, etc).
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 08:08 AM   #3
drhk
"TRF" Member

Should be no problem as long as they replace the parts with 1:1 original ones.
drhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 10:51 AM   #4
construda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsstructures View Post
Its true, problem is the watch has to go back to Switzerland and it takes an exorbitant amount of time to even get an assessment/scope of work. In addition, once you receive it AP will not let you pick and choose what you want to have done to the watch (keep hands, crown, etc).
What is the cost & how much can they do as far as refurbishing? I see some old beat up 5402s going for fairly reasonable prices, might be worth it if they can really refurbish them
construda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2023, 12:50 PM   #5
dh1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by construda View Post
What is the cost & how much can they do as far as refurbishing? I see some old beat up 5402s going for fairly reasonable prices, might be worth it if they can really refurbish them
They do a great job.

I posted my experience here (last photo is "before"):
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=839118
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 08:15 PM   #6
enthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1 View Post
They do a great job.

I posted my experience here (last photo is "before")
That is extremely impressive.

Wish Patek Philippe would do the same for their Nautilus.
enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 04:33 PM   #7
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They do a great job.

I posted my experience here (last photo is "before"):
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=839118
Did you ever get an answer on whether they considered laser welding?
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 07:08 AM   #8
construda
"TRF" Member

Any word if that program is still steel-only or if they have expanded to two tone?
Old 1 July 2023, 08:31 AM   #9
PVR
"TRF" Member

I recently spent about an hour with the 5402 trained technical advisor at the AP boutique and most of what he stated has been confirmed in this thread and a few others.

AP has reproduced every single part for the 5402.
The watch needs to go to Switzerland and will take minimum 2 months to evaluate
Repairs, refinishing, archives, Certificate of Authenticity.. they can do it all. 6-8 months

You CAN pick and choose what you want replaced. You DO NOT have to swap out the dial or hands or crown, it is all up to the owner on what they want to do. However, certain repair refusals will void the service. If you dont replace the tritium hands (for example) with luminova, they will not honor the warranty for fear that tritium dust will contaminate the movement oils and gum up the works.. makes sense.

They can replace the bracelet but it will have a code on it (I forgot what the letter or letters were) and it will be a visible indication that the bracelet isn't original. To me thats a killer, but you can keep the original and get a new replacement to use and wear, but more upcharges if you decide to keep both.

I can have it refinished in the states just as well as AP. I can have it serviced in the US for far less and just as good as AP. I cannot get replacement parts if I dont send to AP. I cannot get archives or COA if I dont send to AP.

I just can't be without my watch for 8 months so I have no choice but to have the work done by someone other than AP.

One last thing.. If you do the full service with AP they give you the original AP box (reproduction) as a gift. I was quoted $6500 for everything I wanted done but ultimately didnt send it in. I just asked the prices for the various things I wanted..
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2023, 10:55 AM   #10
dh1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
I recently spent about an hour with the 5402 trained technical advisor at the AP boutique and most of what he stated has been confirmed in this thread and a few others.

AP has reproduced every single part for the 5402.
The watch needs to go to Switzerland and will take minimum 2 months to evaluate
Repairs, refinishing, archives, Certificate of Authenticity.. they can do it all. 6-8 months

You CAN pick and choose what you want replaced. You DO NOT have to swap out the dial or hands or crown, it is all up to the owner on what they want to do. However, certain repair refusals will void the service. If you dont replace the tritium hands (for example) with luminova, they will not honor the warranty for fear that tritium dust will contaminate the movement oils and gum up the works.. makes sense.

They can replace the bracelet but it will have a code on it (I forgot what the letter or letters were) and it will be a visible indication that the bracelet isn't original. To me thats a killer, but you can keep the original and get a new replacement to use and wear, but more upcharges if you decide to keep both.
Yes, everything you mentioned above matches what I heard when I did my 5402ST service.

FWIW, this was the price for creating a new bracelet and keeping the original in 2021:

* New bracelet: $5,817
* Surcharge for return of current bracelet: $1,745.10
Old 1 July 2023, 11:01 AM   #11
dh1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They can replace the bracelet but it will have a code on it (I forgot what the letter or letters were) and it will be a visible indication that the bracelet isn't original.
The letters are AP of course :-)

Old 1 July 2023, 09:25 PM   #12
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Anything re: laser welding? Personally would rather a laser welded refinished case/bracelet than a replacement.
Old 4 July 2023, 06:11 AM   #13
construda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The letters are AP of course :-)
JEsus is that on the OUSIDE of the bracelet?? Or the inside where it's not in your face
Old 4 July 2023, 12:00 PM   #14
dh1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
JEsus is that on the OUSIDE of the bracelet?? Or the inside where it's not in your face
Inside.
Old 4 July 2023, 12:44 PM   #15
PVR
"TRF" Member

I would seriously consider laser welding the AP letters off of the bracelet and refinishing it. So ugly..
Old 4 July 2023, 03:00 PM   #16
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Those letters are on the interior side, what’s the big deal?

Plus, it’s an easy way to delineate every original 5402 link, and you have the option of keeping the original bracelet as well.

Good on AP’s part imo, and very cool they do all of this
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 12:27 AM   #17
PVR
"TRF" Member

To me, anything that indicates a service part is a negative. If the entire bracelet is original and 1:1, I would laser the AP stamp and refinish. No one will ever see it but me, but it would bother me. Im sure there are some other tells but that one screams non original.

The links in the photo appear to be the removable links. I wonder if the replacement bracelet has this stamps on ALL the links or just the removable ones?

Any one have a replacement bracelet do tell..
Old 5 July 2023, 03:33 AM   #18
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL Imagine if it was on the outside!!!
Old 6 July 2023, 03:59 AM   #19
construda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
LOL Imagine if it was on the outside!!!
Ha I would lose my mind. All in all I see some really beat up 5402s out there and this is seriously enticing, I think it's a very cool option
Old 7 July 2023, 10:00 PM   #20
PVR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ha I would lose my mind. All in all I see some really beat up 5402s out there and this is seriously enticing, I think it's a very cool option

It is a great option and I am in a similar spot with a 5402 ST I recently acquired that needs some refurbishing. But, I can't be without my watch for 8 months, it's just too long. I suppose if AP was offering something no one else could do then I and others would have no choice, but the movement can be serviced by any good watchmaker and the casework can be done by any good case guy.

The archives and certificate of authenticity are exclusive to AP service, but you see so few of them and I wonder what those actually add to the value. Its not like there are fake 5402's out there or that having the docs make the watch worth 30% more like Rolex punched papers. These are essentially archives and to me, while nice to have, wouldn't push me into a watch more than another of equal condition for less money.

If you need movement parts, then you have no choice, it has to go back to Switzerland..
Old 11 July 2023, 04:00 AM   #21
construda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is a great option and I am in a similar spot with a 5402 ST I recently acquired that needs some refurbishing. But, I can't be without my watch for 8 months, it's just too long. I suppose if AP was offering something no one else could do then I and others would have no choice, but the movement can be serviced by any good watchmaker and the casework can be done by any good case guy.

The archives and certificate of authenticity are exclusive to AP service, but you see so few of them and I wonder what those actually add to the value. Its not like there are fake 5402's out there or that having the docs make the watch worth 30% more like Rolex punched papers. These are essentially archives and to me, while nice to have, wouldn't push me into a watch more than another of equal condition for less money.

If you need movement parts, then you have no choice, it has to go back to Switzerland..
I see the lead time and exorbitant price as kind of baked in, having the refurbishment done by AP is a little extra layer of security in case something goes wonky, they are vintage watches after all. At the end of the day you theoretically wind up with a nearly as-new 5402 with papers and a guarantee on the work
Old 1 August 2023, 10:46 AM   #22
PVR
"TRF" Member

In the process of doing a full restoration on my 5402 A serial and needed some links.. BTW, if anyone has any extras they would be willing to sell or part with please PM me as I need several more..

In the meantime, I sourced 2 service links from AP with the round AP stamp. As promised, I had the logo laser welded and refinished to remove it. Just thought I would share some pics of the process. In the end they are undetectable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6049ed.jpg (216.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6070ed.jpg (266.1 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6071ed2.jpg (197.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6072ed2.jpg (275.8 KB, 214 views)
Old 1 August 2023, 02:12 PM   #23
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the process of doing a full restoration on my 5402 A serial and needed some links.. BTW, if anyone has any extras they would be willing to sell or part with please PM me as I need several more..

In the meantime, I sourced 2 service links from AP with the round AP stamp. As promised, I had the logo laser welded and refinished to remove it. Just thought I would share some pics of the process. In the end they are undetectable.
The finish seems a bit different than in the before pictures from you and dh1. Maybe it's just the pictures, but that would bother me more than the AP stamp - those ARE replacement parts after all.

Still curious to see the end-product of the restoration
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 03:15 AM   #24
PVR
"TRF" Member

The finish/photos was simply to remove the logo and restore it to a similar grain/finish. All of the links will be put on the bracelet and then the entire bracelet will be getting refinished so the grain will be identical in the end.

Just showing it's possible to remove the logo. Also, these factory replacement links are about 2.5mm thick and the originals are about 2.4mm thick. Thats either the way it was made (meaning they started out in 1972 as 2.5mm) or from years of wear and refinishing. So, in the end we need to remove material regardless in order to get all the links down to 2.4mm.
Old 11 November 2023, 10:57 AM   #25
PVR
"TRF" Member

Not looking to revive a dead post, but I needed a 1 1/2 link for my 5402 and not only do they not make it, they require the watch be sent to Switzerland for 6-8 months before they will sell me a link. Not happening.. Went to AP boutique and purchased a 1 1/2 link for about $375 for model 15202. It was close but not that close. Was a bit too wide so had to remove material on both sides, but just a little. It was too thick, so a lot of material had to be removed from the top and Bottom surfaces of the link, It had to be done uniformly, so the same from both sides so that took some time. Then, the 2 link posts (whatever you want to call the two middle parts of the link) were not only too wide, the hole for the screw was too narrow. So, needed to file all 4 sides of the posts and then drill out the center hole to accommodate the old style screws. This new link used a 2 part screw with a long pin followed by a separate threaded screw head. Pain in the A**. The proof is in the pics, so here you go..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8664.jpg (273.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8666.jpg (221.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8667.jpg (227.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8668ed.jpg (250.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8651.jpg (221.6 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8648.jpg (243.3 KB, 143 views)
Old 12 November 2023, 10:01 AM   #26
Patek3712
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many!
Wow dh1, phenomenal! Thanks for sharing.
Patek3712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:52 AM   #27
construda
"TRF" Member

Fantastic work!! Thx for sharing