The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 21 May 2023, 10:39 PM   #1
Kuttermax
"TRF" Member

PAM01164 vs PAM02164 - 42MM Goldtech Submersible

Does anyone know of any differences between the PAM01164 and the PAM02164? It looks like the model number changed for 2023 and the MSRP went up a little, but otherwise I can't see anything different in terms of the specs. Both seem to have the same specs on Watchbase.

https://watchbase.com/panerai/submersible/pam01164

https://watchbase.com/panerai/submersible/pam02164

Anyone have any insights into why the model # might have changed?
Kuttermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 11:25 PM   #2
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
No difference
Old 23 May 2023, 04:49 AM   #3
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
So, I'm guessing here, but maybe thay changed the reference number indicating that the movement hacks again now?
Fredrik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 06:07 PM   #4
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
So, I'm guessing here, but maybe thay changed the reference number indicating that the movement hacks again now?
this is absurd if that's true.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 02:56 AM   #5
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
this is absurd if that's true.
Agree completely...I am happy I got the 684 with the original P.9010 movement. Not a fan of the movement change with the subsequent iterations.

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 11:21 PM   #6
Kuttermax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wach16 View Post
Agree completely...I am happy I got the 684 with the original P.9010 movement. Not a fan of the movement change with the subsequent iterations.
So I've been continuing to researcg the Rose Gold submersibles.

The 684 launched in 2017 and has the best movement and the ability to set the hour hand independently and has the hacking seconds, which I believe all the subsequent models lacked.

It looks like in 2019 the 974 was launched. This switched out the inhouse movement to the generic one but at least it was still finished and had an open case back. The used some gold writing on the dial and added 300m water resistance. However a few articles mention that the rose Gold was changed to GoldTech for this model and it is more reddish. I haven't seen any side by side pictures between it and the older 684, so curious to know how much of a change it really was.

It seems there weren't a lot of 974s produced before the change to the 1164 happened l, which got the closed case back and unfinished movement.

Anyone seen a 974 and 684 side by side and can comment on differences in the gold color?

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...74-introducing
Old 31 August 2023, 10:27 AM   #7
wach16
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
So I've been continuing to researcg the Rose Gold submersibles.

The 684 launched in 2017 and has the best movement and the ability to set the hour hand independently and has the hacking seconds, which I believe all the subsequent models lacked.

It looks like in 2019 the 974 was launched. This switched out the inhouse movement to the generic one but at least it was still finished and had an open case back. The used some gold writing on the dial and added 300m water resistance. However a few articles mention that the rose Gold was changed to GoldTech for this model and it is more reddish. I haven't seen any side by side pictures between it and the older 684, so curious to know how much of a change it really was.

It seems there weren't a lot of 974s produced before the change to the 1164 happened l, which got the closed case back and unfinished movement.

Anyone seen a 974 and 684 side by side and can comment on differences in the gold color?

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...74-introducing
I havent seen them side-by-side but on the Panerai website, they do list the 684 as being Goldtech but in the watch blog articles announcing the 974 they make a point of calling out the new alloy so with Panerai, who knows. https://www.panerai.com/us/en/collec...le---42mm.html

I have had it for over 6 months now and the "new" watch feel hasn't worn off and it is my go to watch every morning over my WG DD40. I have owned a number of 44mm Luminors prior to this and the 42 is just perfect. The P.9010 movement is so much better too IMHO. Finishing is sharp and it holds up under a loupe.

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
Old 5 September 2023, 11:01 PM   #8
Kuttermax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wach16 View Post
I havent seen them side-by-side but on the Panerai website, they do list the 684 as being Goldtech but in the watch blog articles announcing the 974 they make a point of calling out the new alloy so with Panerai, who knows. https://www.panerai.com/us/en/collec...le---42mm.html

I have had it for over 6 months now and the "new" watch feel hasn't worn off and it is my go to watch every morning over my WG DD40. I have owned a number of 44mm Luminors prior to this and the 42 is just perfect. The P.9010 movement is so much better too IMHO. Finishing is sharp and it holds up under a loupe.
That's to your help and info I pulled the trigger on a PAM00684. Ultimately having the open case back with the P.9010 movement was the deciding factor. It's should be getting authenticated today/tomorrow and hopefully have it by the end of the week.

It will be interesting to put it side by side to one of the new versions just to see if the rose gold color changed at all. I looked at a ton of pictures and can't see a difference, but photo's don't always get colors quite right.
Old 6 September 2023, 02:41 AM   #9
wach16
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
That's to your help and info I pulled the trigger on a PAM00684. Ultimately having the open case back with the P.9010 movement was the deciding factor. It's should be getting authenticated today/tomorrow and hopefully have it by the end of the week.

It will be interesting to put it side by side to one of the new versions just to see if the rose gold color changed at all. I looked at a ton of pictures and can't see a difference, but photo's don't always get colors quite right.
Congrats, you are going to love it!

Rolex 228239
PAM00684