The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 May 2023, 07:09 PM   #2761
Wuls
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoop1856 View Post
Pretty in depth review of the PDD Salmon 40.5 posted to YouTube within the past week. The comments section is quite active too. User “engineer wannabee”
Much as I like mine, it does have faults and the comments section on this YouTube video whilst snarky, are reasonable. It definitely needs improvement given the price point. And if these start hitting re-sale at 50% or less of RRP then there will be trouble ahead.
Wuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 08:50 PM   #2762
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Czapek's bracelet and bands are very good and we all know the movement, dial, etc are exceptional.

This isn't Panerai LOL!!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 11:40 PM   #2763
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post

Speaking for a moment on the VC, however, I tend to agree with Saad Chaudhry’s take about the VC getting stuck in the middle at times: “The reason [VC is not as popular as Audemars and Patek] is related to its design rather than the quality of its construction. Possessing neither the sharp, angular purposefulness of Audemars Piguet’s Royal Oak nor the relaxed, organic sensuality of Patek Philippe’s Nautilus, the Overseas settles for overdoing it…” (https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/202...erseas-design/)

Czapeks design is where it shines. Less refined than the VC… perhaps… and I can see your argument. But in a lot of ways a Lamborghini is less refined than a 7 Series BMW… I guess it just depends on what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with that article.

After trying on the blue Overseas three hander 5+ years ago waiting some more for a 5711 had become a lot easier.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2023, 11:55 PM   #2764
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuls View Post
Much as I like mine, it does have faults and the comments section on this YouTube video whilst snarky, are reasonable. It definitely needs improvement given the price point. And if these start hitting re-sale at 50% or less of RRP then there will be trouble ahead.
ha... if you want to sell yours for 50%, I'll gladly take it off your wrist. $24k is a bargain when you consider that people are willing to pay $14 for an Ingenieur.... Czapek should be charging 3x what the IWC goes for, at a minimum.

You got yourself a killer watch. You should be thrilled. Everybody who sees it loves it. The comments on that vid are from folks who don't have one.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 01:37 AM   #2765
TopSlice
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36, P39
Picked up yesterday, awaiting additional straps.
Love it.

TopSlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 03:34 AM   #2766
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

For those of you who missed the Rapptrapante but wish to get one, there’s one on auction at Loupe This here:

https://loupethis.com/auctions/czape...te-silver-grey
Old 22 May 2023, 03:39 AM   #2767
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSlice View Post
Love it.

congrats! Lovely piece
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 03:51 AM   #2768
manoop1856
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love it.

Congrats on the pickup! Glad you love it!
manoop1856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 05:40 AM   #2769
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Compliments! Enjoy your honeymoon with the wonderful watch you grabbed!

Quote:
Love it.

Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 06:26 AM   #2770
Bug04
"TRF" Member

I’ve given a shot to the quoted article on VC for curiosity, expecting some reliable hints of review but frankly I didn’t find any, it seemed to me an artificial attack, unilaterally forced to the point of losing credibility for me.

The features, innovations and freshness in look of VC OS3 are much better for me than the Nautilus or RO, which on their side are older (with its pros and cons) and surely more iconic. To each one his preferred …

Getting back to Antarctique, it is also a breath of freshness with a new to mkt look of side B (and what a look!), and the quick release / micro adjust bracelet that in my opinion now is an innovation that should be a must have for high end integrated bracelets, making superseded the competitors without it.
Talking about waiting, I believe that it would be worth for the Antarctique.
Also, it is worth considering that in a world where the bigs are moving farther and farther from clients, the independents like Czapek are always open and responsive to any client need. It is a real plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Agree with that article.

After trying on the blue Overseas three hander 5+ years ago waiting some more for a 5711 had become a lot easier.
Old 22 May 2023, 12:18 PM   #2771
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love it.

Looks great!

Since you mentioned the multiple straps, I recently discovered how expensive the rubber straps are. Is this a case of the proprietary connector allowing dramatic markups, or is the quality of the rubber really 2-3x even other high end rubber straps?
magicman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 01:30 PM   #2772
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuls View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Lot of comments in that video were around the off-centered date wheel. Further, it seems a lot of viewers of that channel are into sub $3k brands and thus the price of the Czapek was a sticker shock.

As an owner of two Antarctiques, I also feel that the product is slightly overpriced by $3-$4k in reference to the $25k retail price that Czapek will charge in 2024 onwards. At that price, Czapek should have chamfered bracelet, WG plated indices instead of Rhodium, better bracelet connectors, and slightly higher level watch case finishing. That being said, when GP and IWC are charging $14k~ and $12k for their bracelet integrated offerings, it makes the Czapek look like reasonably priced.

Just a side note, if you are looking for luxury sports watches that are priced right, both the Moser Streamliner time only and the new Chopard Alpine Eagle LUC XP offer a great product for the retail price and are worthy alternatives to VC Overseas 4500v and AP Royal Oak 15510. Just IMHO.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 03:23 PM   #2773
gm58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Lot of comments in that video were around the off-centered date wheel. Further, it seems a lot of viewers of that channel are into sub $3k brands and thus the price of the Czapek was a sticker shock.

As an owner of two Antarctiques, I also feel that the product is slightly overpriced by $3-$4k in reference to the $25k retail price that Czapek will charge in 2024 onwards. At that price, Czapek should have chamfered bracelet, WG plated indices instead of Rhodium, better bracelet connectors, and slightly higher level watch case finishing. That being said, when GP and IWC are charging $14k~ and $12k for their bracelet integrated offerings, it makes the Czapek look like reasonably priced.

Just a side note, if you are looking for luxury sports watches that are priced right, both the Moser Streamliner time only and the new Chopard Alpine Eagle LUC XP offer a great product for the retail price and are worthy alternatives to VC Overseas 4500v and AP Royal Oak 15510. Just IMHO.
The off centering is a bit strange I have to say but Czapek has always been very responsive to these issues and tried to fix them as they go (e.g. the movement winding initially was very stiff so they amended the mechanism to allow for better winding). Will have to see whether they continue to make improvements but on their track record (albeit shorter than most), I trust that they will do so...

That SHX05 movement is such a killer vs ALL other sports models out there I feel including the PP/AP etc. By the way how do the Moser + Chopard wear vs the Czapek (I note that you own two)
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 09:18 PM   #2774
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman View Post
Looks great!

Since you mentioned the multiple straps, I recently discovered how expensive the rubber straps are. Is this a case of the proprietary connector allowing dramatic markups, or is the quality of the rubber really 2-3x even other high end rubber straps?
Let me address this please. (I am head of Czapek Americas).

The price of the rubber strap includes the connectors and the deployant buckle.

The connectors attach to the strap using very tiny screws and loctite, so we have chosen not to sell the strap alone, as screw heads will get wrecked, and screws will get lost.
mikemargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 09:27 PM   #2775
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Since I have many straps I obviously agree with Mike.It's so much easier to just grab and go on these straps that have connectors built-in. While I am comfortable and have extensive watchmaker screwdrivers, for the normal person I could easily see hamfisted types messing up the screws.

The bracelet with 2 easy extension pieces is head and shoulders above many other brands.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 22 May 2023, 09:50 PM   #2776
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks great!

I can't compare to any straps from AP or PP as I have never owned one. But the Czapek rubber is on the stiff side, compared to the newer Omega straps and my Everest strap. It takes some breaking in, and after wearing it for a few days it takes on the natural curve of your wrist. Now it pretty much keeps that curve even off the wrist for a few months. After over a year, mine still looks brand new and hasn't developed any cracking. The design matches the Drake dial and is precise for their clasp and strap change system perfectly. I wish it was a bit more supple, but I'm glad that it seems formulated to last.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 10:05 PM   #2777
Wuls
"TRF" Member

That's reasonable commentary - I simply feel it needs tweaks to make the components as good as the overall 'look' of the watch on your wrist.

It's moderate quality/execution improvements (you notice more as you wear the watch - the glossy chrome rim around the glass dome looks a bit plasticky and 'stuck on' vs a more elegant finish).

So I'm a happy owner, with a Revelation on order too, but this could easily go from good to great without a Herculean effort.

Quote:

Wuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 06:23 AM   #2778
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
But the Czapek rubber is on the stiff side....
Agreed some of the rubber straps from Czapek are more supple, others a bit stiffer. Czapek's rubber strap firmness seems to also depend on the color. Think of it akin to Rubber B versus Everest.

A 'trick' i use to keep rubber more supple and in good condition overall for many years is to use 303 Automotive Protectant https://amzn.to/430qzJC , which also is great for your car's rubber door / boot / bonnet gaskets, etc as well.

Old 23 May 2023, 11:21 PM   #2779
ricky64
"TRF" Member

I hear a lot of talk about the bracelet finish and the chamfering. Have folks looked inside the band? It is....chamfered!
I do not believe the lack of chamfering on the external side of the bracelet is a decreased level of finishing, I believe it was a design choice. The Antartique wears very low profile, and has angular edges. A thick, chamfered bracelet would be a different design language than the case.
I love the bracelet on the Overseas, but it wouldn't work on the Czapek.
Thus, I believe the thin, angular, low profile bracelet is a design choice, not an "omission". Doesn't mean that everyone will prefer it though...
If you want heft, do a RO or OS. If you want sleek, with emphasis on the dial, go Czapek. Or better, do all three!
ricky64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 01:35 AM   #2780
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Yes, true consideration perfectly summarizing the picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky64 View Post
I hear a lot of talk about the bracelet finish and the chamfering. Have folks looked inside the band? It is....chamfered!
I do not believe the lack of chamfering on the external side of the bracelet is a decreased level of finishing, I believe it was a design choice. The Antartique wears very low profile, and has angular edges. A thick, chamfered bracelet would be a different design language than the case.
Thus, I believe the thin, angular, low profile bracelet is a design choice, not an "omission". Doesn't mean that everyone will prefer it though...
If you want heft, do a RO or OS. If you want sleek, with emphasis on the dial, go Czapek. Or better, do all three!
Old 24 May 2023, 03:55 AM   #2781
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I think the chamfering of the bracelet has to be taken into context. A lot of people are trying to compare the RO bracelet and the chamfering there to the Czapek, and I don't think that's fair.

The RO bracelet has enormous chamfering and that is clearly a design choice for aesthetic reasons which has a secondary functional purpose. I do believe it was that order of precedence in the bracelet chamfering.

But not all brands do bracelets this way, and again, I find that a design choice.

As long as the bracelet doesn't pinch or scratch, I think that's fine. If it does, then some design changes are probably necessary.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 11:54 AM   #2782
ricky64
"TRF" Member

Bracelet chamfering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky64 View Post
A picture of the chamfered inside and the square edged outer design. I think the interior surface of the bracelet looks quite cool, but it would not match the angular case...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-2280.jpg (156.0 KB, 441 views)
ricky64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 03:04 AM   #2783
Werk782
"TRF" Member

what do you guys think about the continuation of salmon dial for the 38.5mm, especially for those who own the 40.5mm which was 1 in 99?
Werk782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 07:08 AM   #2784
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werk782 View Post
what do you guys think about the continuation of salmon dial for the 38.5mm, especially for those who own the 40.5mm which was 1 in 99?
Didn’t like it when Czapek brought the salmon in 38.5 as a regular edition. Feels it devalued the limited nature of the 40.5mm. It doesn’t make me love my salmon 40.5mm any less. However, a color that is introduced as a limited edition in one size shouldn’t be offered as a regular model in another size. Just my two cents.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 08:30 AM   #2785
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Didn’t like it when Czapek brought the salmon in 38.5 as a regular edition. Feels it devalued the limited nature of the 40.5mm. It doesn’t make me love my salmon 40.5mm any less. However, a color that is introduced as a limited edition in one size shouldn’t be offered as a regular model in another size. Just my two cents.
it's like grand Seiko and their limited editions. used to worry about missing out but realized there's always another variant around the corner. I guess the key is not to worry LE or not, just get the one you like.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 09:28 AM   #2786
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
it's like grand Seiko and their limited editions. used to worry about missing out but realized there's always another variant around the corner. I guess the key is not to worry LE or not, just get the one you like.
The one I like is the Lanikai edition... all sold out unfortunately. It's maybe the least Czapek in style (no date, indices, or stairway dial pattern, etc), but I love it all the more for it.
Old 28 May 2023, 09:39 AM   #2787
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

In all fairness it was known pretty early on that there would be a non limited salmon in the smaller size. When I first inquired about the 40mm, December 2021 or January 2022, and it was essentially already pre-sold out, pre announcement of the watch, I was already being told I could get it in the smaller size if I wanted. So I don’t necessarily think it was a huge afterthought or anything.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 11:03 AM   #2788
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The one I like is the Lanikai edition... all sold out unfortunately. It's maybe the least Czapek in style (no date, indices, or stairway dial pattern, etc), but I love it all the more for it.
I liked that one too. kept showing it to my wife, every time was nope...
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 01:34 PM   #2789
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I liked that one too. kept showing it to my wife, every time was nope...
What didn’t she like? Other than the price?
Old 29 May 2023, 02:18 AM   #2790
gm58
"TRF" Member

The grand feu dial is really quite something - would love to hear from those who might have seen it in person (saw that it was at the windup watch fair in SF)!

Without any other elements, will be interesting to see whether it looks larger than the normal 40.5mm models.
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote