The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 April 2023, 02:27 AM   #271
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
No offense, but this watch doesn't really compete with an AP in anyway. Different build quality and design class altogether.
none taken, i didn't say that it's comparable with AP

both are genta designed but of course IWC knows where they stand, at least they didn't try to compete with AP with their prices.
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 03:21 AM   #272
fmc000
Banned

A few pics taken yesterday.

fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 07:59 AM   #273
ISWing
"TRF" Member

I put my name down in the London store on Monday. I was told it should be available within 6 to 8 months with a deposit of £3,150 but it won’t guarantee the watch. So we will see what happens in a few months time. I will be disappointed if I don’t get the call by the end of the year as I must have been one of the first 10 people to place my order in store. I now hear the waitlist in the UK is 1 year.
ISWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 04:11 PM   #274
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I saw that. He made clear why he was asking.

Let's assume that the case and bracelet finishing in your hand is comparable to the Antarctique which is just a hair below AP or VC. (I'll loupe mine and compare brush and polish texture and transitions in detail to my Vacheron when it arrives just as I did with my BB58 vs Rolex oyster bracelet).

Then it's down to the movement since neither brand has much name brand pricing power being outside the big 3 and Rolex (except one is a Genta). Let's say the built from scratch contract manufactured IWC whose base design in an old but slim and durable ETA has no value.

Is Czapek's movement worth $11,000 more than that?

New Chopard is $22k as well

For people like me with an Overseas or even RO I think the Ingenieur is a great tool watch instantiation of a real Genta watch, Rolex priced, and not just another integrated bracelet sports watch but an honest seat at the table.

Pricing was derived looking up at the competition not down at Mark XX like everyone wishes.
Haha. That's a hell of an assumption to make that argument fit.

The gap in quality is actually quite far apart. You will be disappointed when you get one in hand if your expectations are "a hair below AP or VC."
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 04:26 PM   #275
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Im sorry, i cannot get to the fact that IWC is stretching the price but without many improvements and for 12-13k putting an pedestrian group movement in this watch.

It is what it is, congratulations in advance for the ones who will go for it.

Again I like the watch but I'm not blind trying to justify price for what it is not.

:)
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 04:49 PM   #276
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackingtime View Post
none taken, i didn't say that it's comparable with AP

both are genta designed but of course IWC knows where they stand, at least they didn't try to compete with AP with their prices.
True
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 05:41 PM   #277
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

10 years ago barely anyone knew about Genta and now it's all the rage, same thing with the Mickey Mouse Bulgari watch and the old ones he made. All skyrocketed because people are name chasing.

Do you really like it or like the name that's attached to it?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 08:13 PM   #278
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
10 years ago barely anyone knew about Genta and now it's all the rage, same thing with the Mickey Mouse Bulgari watch and the old ones he made. All skyrocketed because people are name chasing.

I don’t think that’s true. You can like or dislike the watches, think Genta himself is hype, but it’s beyond debate that he was responsible for a quantum shift in the industry with three specific watches.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 08:53 PM   #279
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
I don’t think that’s true. You can like or dislike the watches, think Genta himself is hype, but it’s beyond debate that he was responsible for a quantum shift in the industry with three specific watches.
Ok but what is your point, that's not the thing being discussed? I like the watches, I like Genta but a lot of people didn't like them before they linked him to all those watches that I just mentioned because of the monetary hype that followed.

I'm sure they some of the buyers like them but are mainly buying them for 1. the name and then for 2. the watch instead of 1. the watch and nothing after that.

The previous Ingenieurs (not the latest one, the one before that) weren't popular even though it was clearly Genta. And now the newest one that has the Genta DNA again warrants a much higher price? For what exactly? These brands are as pathetic as the clients they are trying to dupe.

No one gave a single F about 'Genta design' before 2016. 5711 sitting and sold at discount, APs 15202s sold at discount and the list goes on.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 09:46 PM   #280
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Ok but what is your point, that's not the thing being discussed? I like the watches, I like Genta but a lot of people didn't like them before they linked him to all those watches that I just mentioned because of the monetary hype that followed.

I'm sure they some of the buyers like them but are mainly buying them for 1. the name and then for 2. the watch instead of 1. the watch and nothing after that.

The previous Ingenieurs (not the latest one, the one before that) weren't popular even though it was clearly Genta. And now the newest one that has the Genta DNA again warrants a much higher price? For what exactly? These brands are as pathetic as the clients they are trying to dupe.

No one gave a single F about 'Genta design' before 2016. 5711 sitting and sold at discount, APs 15202s sold at discount and the list goes on.

True but the shift was really Instagram at the same time where watches became prolific. There were far fewer watch collectors to fight over stuff.

Imho genta created the RO which remains a triumph but then afterwards did nothing special at all. His other notable designs are watered down versions of the same concept. I’m more impressed by whomever designed the sub, santos, reverso, 1518 etc lol
Old 3 April 2023, 10:11 PM   #281
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The last sentence certainly didn't apply where I live. When I wanted to get a 5711 blue in 2015 the two large local ADs wouldn't even put me on the wait list anymore citing overwhelming demand from existing customers.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 10:35 PM   #282
ISWing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The last sentence certainly didn't apply where I live. When I wanted to get a 5711 blue in 2015 the two large local ADs wouldn't even put me on the wait list anymore citing overwhelming demand from existing customers.
I don’t know about the 5711 but up till 2018 anyone could get a standard steel Royal Oak in store and they were around the £10k amount secondhand. I don’t think the normal Royal Oak was ever in that much demand until recently.
ISWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2023, 10:39 PM   #283
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

lol i give a fk but my wallet doesn't
but not the 5711 or 15202. but rather the 5726 white dial

i never like the 5711 and 15202, had them for a brief while (in 2019), didn't resonate with me at all.
5711 - great and boring at the same time. bracelet is a joke.
15202 - great piece but i prefer a moving second hand, makes the watch feels alive to me. great bracelet, like all APs

however so, yes, it's all the hype now, all started with the ceramic daytona. rolex, vanilla yes, but damnit, they are still king (in marketing, in sales and being able to catch the mass public attention)
not everyone can afford or understand a journe or gronefeld or any other indies.
Old 4 April 2023, 04:50 AM   #284
ACWATCHES
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think Genta is a genius, he created a new genre of watch design. They have always been popular with those in the know. Since the 1970s what has truly come out and been innovative in design. All the Rolex where mid century creations and just evolve from there.
ACWATCHES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 05:42 AM   #285
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Bulgari Bulgari and Omega Constellation were also his.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 11:07 PM   #286
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Interesting question. Is the alpine eagle over priced then? Steel. Non genta. “In house” 40% more than the steel ingenuir. Slated at launch as a genta wannabe. Now considered underrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 11:39 PM   #287
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

Where is the IWC Genta Ingenieur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtheot View Post
Interesting question. Is the alpine eagle over priced then? Steel. Non genta. “In house” 40% more than the steel ingenuir. Slated at launch as a genta wannabe. Now considered underrated.

One thing I have noticed in this hobby is that collectors talk in circles. I’m guilty of this as well. Most people are trying to create a narrative that fits their opinion one way or another.

I never saw much love for that AE previously, mostly negative reactions. Suddenly it’s put on a pedestal and even surpasses a watch with with legitimate history? Because the movement isn’t “fully in house”? In reality, all basic watch movements are based on a previous design, how many times can you reinvent the wheel on a 3 handed movement with a date?

We aren’t taking about a grand complication here.
Inseconds99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 03:25 AM   #288
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post
One thing I have noticed in this hobby is that collectors talk in circles. I’m guilty of this as well. Most people are trying to create a narrative that fits their opinion one way or another.

I never saw much love for that AE previously, mostly negative reactions. Suddenly it’s put on a pedestal and even surpasses a watch with with legitimate history? Because the movement isn’t “fully in house”? In reality, all basic watch movements are based on a previous design, how many times can you reinvent the wheel on a 3 handed movement with a date?

We aren’t taking about a grand complication here.

Exactly the point I was hoping the question would get. The moment you try and justify pricing in this insane hobby is the moment you should give your head a wobble. It’s mad. Buy what you like.

djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 11:27 AM   #289
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
@djtheot great observation on the chopard. I have the same sentiment and still for me, it does nothing. But I think the ingenieur is great and don’t mind the pricing.

Every new watch has gotten more expensive and beyond the realm of rationality. For example, a huge fan of the JLC reverse in red. Back in 2018, it was $6.9K. Thought that was high! Now it is close to a $10K watch.

Gotta pay to play, I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 12:18 PM   #290
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I stopped by the boutique to ask about my spot in line. They ended up taking 10 orders up front and then the boutique Director decided to stop there. I was 3rd to call and pay.

I asked if end of May rumor was true and they thought sooner.

While there I checked out the chrono bracelet most similar to this new one (sans bevel) and had my submariner there for comparison. I didn't see any difference in quality in the brush and polish or thickness of the machined links etc. the Rolex clasp is obviously much different. Overall I think the new bracelet is going to be amazing.
Old 9 April 2023, 02:35 PM   #291
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

What dial is everyone interested in? You think the PCL’s on the Aqua are going to add an extra dimension or too much shine and a scratch magnet?
Inseconds99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 04:06 PM   #292
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post
What dial is everyone interested in?
The boutique has put me on the list also for the aqua dial. It looks very vibrant and a bit flashy with the PCL’s on the vids/pics. I guess black is more wearable and suited for multiple occasions, but I love the teal color. Can not wait to meet it in the flesh.
Batmannr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 04:17 PM   #293
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I stopped by the boutique to ask about my spot in line. They ended up taking 10 orders up front and then the boutique Director decided to stop there. I was 3rd to call and pay.

I asked if end of May rumor was true and they thought sooner.

While there I checked out the chrono bracelet most similar to this new one (sans bevel) and had my submariner there for comparison. I didn't see any difference in quality in the brush and polish or thickness of the machined links etc. the Rolex clasp is obviously much different. Overall I think the new bracelet is going to be amazing.
i got mine on the pre-order list. no payment require upfront
Old 9 April 2023, 06:22 PM   #294
flanzig
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Was this recently, or did you put your name in when it was announced?
flanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 06:34 PM   #295
flanzig
"TRF" Member

Quote:

How soon after the announcement did you put your order in?
flanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 07:10 PM   #296
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I like the watch, it looks great but all the genta stuff is annoying. I think the you tubers are the worst for it. Will be interested in seeing the aqua one.
Everyone also seems to forget there was a version of these watches released about 10 years ago. Maybe speaking about those doesn’t fit with the genta story people are talking about with misaligned bezels etc.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 08:57 PM   #297
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

My boutique said the order of fulfillment would be:

1. Prepayments
2. Long time IWC or RNA customers with spend history
3. Everyone else

First batch should go to paying customers which is why I decided to do it.
Old 9 April 2023, 09:38 PM   #298
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
I like the watch, it looks great but all the genta stuff is annoying. I think the you tubers are the worst for it. Will be interested in seeing the aqua one.
Everyone also seems to forget there was a version of these watches released about 10 years ago. Maybe speaking about those doesn’t fit with the genta story people are talking about with misaligned bezels etc.

It is all about the right marketing 6 years after dropping the Genta inspired Ingenieurs for a fairly arbitrary and unpopular design in 2017 just when the Genta hype started. What have they been thinking...

Presenting the new Ingenieur as a resurrection of the 1970s OG 1832 sounds a lot more interesting than putting it marketing-wise in a straight line with the similar predecessors from the 2000s and 2010s.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2023, 02:22 AM   #299
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My boutique said the order of fulfillment would be:

1. Prepayments
2. Long time IWC or RNA customers with spend history
3. Everyone else

First batch should go to paying customers which is why I decided to do it.
ahh, different country i guess
they don't take payment till the goods are here
Old 10 April 2023, 02:23 AM   #300
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanzig View Post
How soon after the announcement did you put your order in?
my SA showed me last year and i told him, i am down for the aqua.
so as soon IWC announce it officially, i got my name in.