The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 March 2023, 06:34 AM   #181
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Is this new iwc (Which I like btw) worth 4k more than newly released green santos for instance. Seems kinda steep. I may do it anyways. Then lose 30% on the boards selling to you lol
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 06:36 AM   #182
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Is this new iwc (Which I like btw) worth 4k more than newly released green santos for instance. Seems kinda steep. I may do it anyways. Then lose 30% on the boards selling to you lol

Exactly. I already asked about it myself
Old 29 March 2023, 06:40 AM   #183
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I haven't kept up with IWC pricing but this does seem pricey at nearly $13,000.

I thought it would be 5-6k...boy, was I off. Yes, I'm biased but at this price, I'm going Chopard AE or even Zenith for the integrated bracelet look.
JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 06:40 AM   #184
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Why not be on the other side of that trade and pick one up for 50% off MSRP preowned?
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 06:45 AM   #185
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Just to provide a counterpoint on the IWC pricing strategy (and I am kind of contradicting myself here a bit too), some of you brought up the Chopard AE. I think prior to that most of Chopard's watches were absolute dogs in the resale market, but the AE seems to hold value quite well (and indeed seems to have increased in popularity recently).

Considering the popularity of integrated bracelet watches now, and the fact that this is a Genta design, maybe this will hold value quite well. Especially if IWC decides to limit production/allocation.
Old 29 March 2023, 06:50 AM   #186
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think that says more about what a great value the Santos is. Outside of the PR the movement seems just as refined/advanced as the IWC's. And I dare say that Cartier design is more iconic than anything Genta has designed. Definitely has withstood the test of time longer.

Cartier also engineered strap quick change (and includes an extra strap) and a ridiculously easy way to size the bracelet, the former of which I was sure IWC would include on this watch. And if you are willing to pocket an extra link, the lack of microadjust isn't as annoying on the Santos when you can just remove/add links with your fingers as tools.
Old 29 March 2023, 07:18 AM   #187
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Good wrist roll with terrible audio.

https://youtube.com/shorts/k4kJIl0kaUo?feature=share
Old 29 March 2023, 09:31 AM   #188
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Where is the IWC Genta Ingenieur?

Better video review with lots of detail angles.

https://youtu.be/-8b0CXyxz-g

There's even a bevel on the PCLs
Old 29 March 2023, 10:26 AM   #189
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The high price is related to historical significance for sure. I think it will be a huge hit and can see IWC holding back on flooding the market.

Comparing how much a steel 37mm RO cost, $11.7K does not seem bad. Yeah yeah the movement is not that special, but you’re really paying for the history and design at this point.

I’m leaning closer to putting my name in the hat for this one. However, hearing some stories IWC boutiques asking full payment to be on the “list”. That does not seem fun especially if IWC cannot offer a timeframe for delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 10:28 AM   #190
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Unpopular opinion, but really disappointed and it looks like a mess to me. The case, bracelet and bezel have zero subtle contour similar to what you find on a sub 2k piece. However, the dial (assume stamped) and hands are sharp. Awesome PR. Hard pass for me.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 10:28 AM   #191
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
The high price is related to historical significance for sure. I think it will be a huge hit and can see IWC holding back on flooding the market.

Comparing how much a steel 37mm RO cost, $11.7K does not seem bad. Yeah yeah the movement is not that special, but you’re really paying for the history and design at this point.

I’m leaning closer to putting my name in the hat for this one. However, hearing some stories IWC boutiques asking full payment to be on the “list”. That does not seem fun especially if IWC cannot offer a timeframe for delivery.

Yeah I talked mine into $5,850 down for aqua
Old 29 March 2023, 11:02 AM   #192
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Yeah I talked mine into $5,850 down for aqua

You already got a near 50% discount on this watch that hasn’t released yet? Please tell me where, I’m trying to buy either Aqua, Black or Titanium for myself.
Inseconds99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 11:04 AM   #193
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post
You already got a near 50% discount on this watch that hasn’t released yet? Please tell me where, I’m trying to buy either Aqua, Black or Titanium for myself.

Sorry I mean they wanted full deposit and we agreed on half. I wish. It's going to be an application piece. I think best bet is to enter the early queue so that's what I did. I'm #3 for aqua at my boutique now.
Old 29 March 2023, 11:08 AM   #194
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry I mean they wanted full deposit and we agreed on half. I wish. It's going to be an application piece. I think best bet is to enter the early queue so that's what I did. I'm #3 for aqua at my boutique now.

Gotcha, well good luck. I don’t have a IWC boutique locally. I do have AD’s like Tourneau and London Jewelers near me. I emailed my AD to see if they’re carrying the piece, unfortunately, they’re on vacation until the 30th lol.

I then called IWC directly to place an order, I’m currently on a “global” waitlist. Guess I’m not getting this on launch lol.
Old 29 March 2023, 11:12 AM   #195
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Gotcha, well good luck. I don’t have a IWC boutique locally. I do have AD’s like Tourneau and London Jewelers near me. I emailed my AD to see if they’re carrying the piece, unfortunately, they’re on vacation until the 30th lol.

I then called IWC directly to place an order, I’m currently on a “global” waitlist. Guess I’m not getting this on launch lol.

You never know. I got a Vacheron overseas by calling the 800 number. It's at least an order of entry list. Plus selling direct to you saves RNA cash I bet so they are incentivized to cut out the AD/boutique overhead.

Good luck!
Old 29 March 2023, 11:13 AM   #196
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You never know. I got a Vacheron overseas by calling the 800 number. It's at least an order of entry list. Plus selling direct to you saves RNA cash I bet so they are incentivized to cut out the AD/boutique overhead.

Good luck!

I called for an Overseas last month as well oddly enough lol.
Old 29 March 2023, 11:22 AM   #197
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Unpopular opinion, but really disappointed and it looks like a mess to me. The case, bracelet and bezel have zero subtle contour similar to what you find on a sub 2k piece. However, the dial (assume stamped) and hands are sharp. Awesome PR. Hard pass for me.

I mean the design is not really new so shouldn’t be a surprise. We all knew an Ingenieur is going to look like this lol

JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 11:27 AM   #198
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I mean the design is not really new so shouldn’t be a surprise. We all knew an Ingenieur is going to look like this lol

I'm still waiting for some side by sides of his $2,000 watch vs the pics in post 188
Old 29 March 2023, 11:53 AM   #199
Dalaruan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

History significance and also market comparable I guess. Things like chopard AE, gp Laureato and piaget polo s (!!!!!) are charging slightly higher. Iwc wouldn't want to position itself too low below these brands maybe
Dalaruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 11:55 AM   #200
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:

As I said unpopular opinion, I was expecting an evolution while maintaining dna. Glad most like it
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:10 PM   #201
MP777
"TRF" Member

But Royal Oak and Nautilus both have in house and very well decorated movements. Overseas as well.
This IWC uses an ETA based, the same movement that goes in their $6K Aquatimer.

If this IWC actually used a premium movement then I think the $12k would be more justifiable. As-is we’re all just paying for the marketing and Genta association. Take those away this should be a $8k watch at most for IWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
If you want this watch, I think it's a secondary market model. This is where I think IWC's pricing strategy doesn't really make sense.

That being said, if the RO is unobtainable except at ridiculous secondary market markups, and the Nautilus is the same, and the Overseas (which isn't even a GG design) retails for $22k, then perhaps the IWC is not overpriced to absurdity.

I would not be surprised in next year's model upgrades the movement and perhaps adds a display caseback.
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 04:26 PM   #202
OneOmegaMan
Banned

cheap movement with not even a sapphire caseback. Totally not worth 13k
OneOmegaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 04:39 PM   #203
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP,AP, PAM
They are nice looking watches. The price is kind of steep for an IWC but when compare to something Genta designed like the new 37mm AP ROs (which recently switched to 3rd party movements). Then the value is decent.
IS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:02 PM   #204
gaheris
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUWASEIKO 6530-559
I know the Ingenieur has a better dial and I have lusted after it for years, but I can't look at it the same way after finding out the price and knowing the existence of Citizen 870 NA1000.

The 870 has a magnetic resistance of 16,000 A/m. Should be enough for most engineer jobs
gaheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:26 PM   #205
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Quote:
yes, the green (at least) is a application piece.

i had my name down last year, hopefully i get it soon
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:29 PM   #206
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOmegaMan View Post
cheap movement with not even a sapphire caseback. Totally not worth 13k
lol, it has a anti magnetic soft iron cage.
Old 29 March 2023, 05:30 PM   #207
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

apart from the movement and finishing, AP is grossly overpriced, even at retail levels
Old 29 March 2023, 05:31 PM   #208
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I called for an Overseas last month as well oddly enough lol.
same lol, this month.
damn i have to sell the one i got it from grey exactly 1 year ago
Old 29 March 2023, 08:29 PM   #209
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Where is the IWC Genta Ingenieur?

Price is $11,700

RE comments about the movement. I dug into this myself since I'm a movement snob and at least need to know what's under the hood.

Caliber 32111 is a slim movement allowing the watch to come in at 10.7 mm. It has some cote de Geneve on the bridges and perlage on the base plate (as well as on the interior of the folding clasp). It's the most tool watch workhorse of the siblings for sure and is priced like it.

The central idea of the Ingenieur was anti-magnetism. According to the designer from the outset the idea of a glass caseback was verboten as was any removable bracelet system or adjustable clasp. The watch is defined by the bracelet integration and there are plenty of strap options for other watches at IWC already (according to Christian).

The dial is stamped iron that gets galvanized treatment for color and anti tarnish. So it should have a very striking metallic effect in real life. The hands and index markers are rhodium plated. Date change at midnight is quick. Double digit leading zero display for single digit dates (01, 02,...) as engineers would prefer it.

The case features alternating brushed and polished surfaces as well as an expanding polished bevel running down the side of the case and bracelet. The bracelet in either configuration features a polished bevel also on the center links.

I think these touches are where some of the cost is coming from. The more operations you require on a CNC the more human interaction is required to reposition and labor costs will go up and quantity you can make per day will go down.

With 100m and a screw down crown the watch can actually go swimming unlike it's rich friends.

For me it will make a perfect weekend watch with 5 day power reserve that I can set down Sunday night and pick it up Friday afternoon. We will see how far it goes in displacing my sub for this duty.
Old 29 March 2023, 11:06 PM   #210
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Price is $11,700

RE comments about the movement. I dug into this myself since I'm a movement snob and at least need to know what's under the hood.

Caliber 32111 is a slim movement allowing the watch to come in at 10.7 mm. It has some cote de Geneve on the bridges and perlage on the base plate (as well as on the interior of the folding clasp). It's the most tool watch workhorse of the siblings for sure and is priced like it.

The central idea of the Ingenieur was anti-magnetism. According to the designer from the outset the idea of a glass caseback was verboten as was any removable bracelet system or adjustable clasp. The watch is defined by the bracelet integration and there are plenty of strap options for other watches at IWC already (according to Christian).

The dial is stamped iron that gets galvanized treatment for color and anti tarnish. So it should have a very striking metallic effect in real life. The hands and index markers are rhodium plated. Date change at midnight is quick. Double digit leading zero display for single digit dates (01, 02,...) as engineers would prefer it.

The case features alternating brushed and polished surfaces as well as an expanding polished bevel running down the side of the case and bracelet. The bracelet in either configuration features a polished bevel also on the center links.

I think these touches are where some of the cost is coming from. The more operations you require on a CNC the more human interaction is required to reposition and labor costs will go up and quantity you can make per day will go down.

With 100m and a screw down crown the watch can actually go swimming unlike it's rich friends.

For me it will make a perfect weekend watch with 5 day power reserve that I can set down Sunday night and pick it up Friday afternoon. We will see how far it goes in displacing my sub for this duty.

Nice post. I like this watch and am on the list for the Aqua. To me it does a good job of sticking to its roots with just enough modern touches.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote