The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 February 2023, 11:53 PM   #1
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

New 5226G

Very cool story with this one. My wife and I were in Europe for a euro delivery of a car back in October. While there, we went to Patek in Geneva and saw a lot of watches, none available of course. As I was trying on some various pieces, my wife was walking around the entry way where there were windows of various models in the waiting area. She came over and said "you should look at this one if they can show it to you." It was the 5226G, which I had seen in photos from watches and wonders and walked right past when we had first arrived. I asked the gentleman if there was one I could handle, just to appease my wife, and he brought one out. I was in shock, I loved it in person and immediately wanted one to diversify my collection. I have 8 watches, all sport models from various manufacturers and I guess I have been feeling like they are all similar in some way. This was the perfect in between for me, not to dressy and a little sporty but easily can be dressed up.

So I went home to my AD and told him I wanted one. They seemed to think I would be able to get one if patient and I am just not patient. 4 months later, saw prices very close to retail plus tax and then with the recent price hike, even more so. David had one for sale unworn, called him up and got to a happy place and boom, on my wrist. Great story with my wife to always remember this one and a nice diversification in my collection.

Only beef with this is the strap is too big. I have a 7" wrist and even on the tightest hole, it's quite loose. My AD said he would punch a hole in it but may have him order a new smaller strap for me as well. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 11:58 PM   #2
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Congrats. That's one of my favorites right now.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 12:05 AM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Looks great on your wrist! I have a smaller wrist than yours and my AD was able to cut the standard strap to a shorter length for me. They have a partnership with a strap maker for such a purpose. Just another suggestion.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 12:11 AM   #4
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Very cool story with this one. My wife and I were in Europe for a euro delivery of a car back in October. While there, we went to Patek in Geneva and saw a lot of watches, none available of course. As I was trying on some various pieces, my wife was walking around the entry way where there were windows of various models in the waiting area. She came over and said "you should look at this one if they can show it to you." It was the 5226G, which I had seen in photos from watches and wonders and walked right past when we had first arrived. I asked the gentleman if there was one I could handle, just to appease my wife, and he brought one out. I was in shock, I loved it in person and immediately wanted one to diversify my collection. I have 8 watches, all sport models from various manufacturers and I guess I have been feeling like they are all similar in some way. This was the perfect in between for me, not to dressy and a little sporty but easily can be dressed up.

So I went home to my AD and told him I wanted one. They seemed to think I would be able to get one if patient and I am just not patient. 4 months later, saw prices very close to retail plus tax and then with the recent price hike, even more so. David had one for sale unworn, called him up and got to a happy place and boom, on my wrist. Great story with my wife to always remember this one and a nice diversification in my collection.

Only beef with this is the strap is too big. I have a 7" wrist and even on the tightest hole, it's quite loose. My AD said he would punch a hole in it but may have him order a new smaller strap for me as well. Love it!

Big congrats. Amazing watch and I love how the strap matches your coffee!
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 12:43 AM   #5
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Looks great on your wrist! I have a smaller wrist than yours and my AD was able to cut the standard strap to a shorter length for me. They have a partnership with a strap maker for such a purpose. Just another suggestion.
Thank you! I am just surprised its this big from factory on my wrist, which is not overly small. In my experience, I have never had a hard time getting a bracelet to fit or even a Oysterflex out of the box. This is a first for me.

My AD said he could punch a hole for me this morning and I appreciated your response last night about the ability to order a new one in a smaller size, I am going to ask him about that today when I go in. I may do that but I suspect that will take time and as mentioned earlier, I am not patient.

Delugs have some nice straps too and do custom. Thinking a darker blue croc with tan stitch to match the indicies.
Old 7 February 2023, 12:47 AM   #6
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
beautiful piece. i love how they did the mid case and have the lugs welded on the mid case
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 01:32 AM   #7
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Love the hobnail design of the mid case.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 01:39 AM   #8
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Beautiful, congrats! Love all the details on this one.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 01:42 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Very nice, congratulations and it looks perfect on you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 01:51 AM   #10
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Wow. Congrats, Looks perfect! How big is your wrist?
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 02:01 AM   #11
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawalsh View Post
wow. Congrats, looks perfect! How big is your wrist?
7"
Old 7 February 2023, 02:15 AM   #12
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Nice work and congrats I was actually debating grabbing that one from Dave...good job! lol

enjoy it - its' so cool
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 02:16 AM   #13
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Congratulations I have to agree with you it’s the perfect balance between sporty and dressy.
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 02:18 AM   #14
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Nice work and congrats I was actually debating grabbing that one from Dave...good job! lol

enjoy it - its' so cool
Yeah, there were some on the market a bit lower than he was willing to go but he was very reasonable and we got to a happy place very easily. Always a pleasure to do business with him and zero drama.

Thank you!
Old 7 February 2023, 03:05 AM   #15
raclaims
"TRF" Member

He always has top notch stuff...can't go wrong. He's great. Enjoy!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 03:30 AM   #16
OTWT
"TRF" Member

Nice story and great watch, congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OTWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 03:55 AM   #17
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Huge congratz, I loved these 2 5x26Gs from day one, especially for the overall balance and the whole case design. It's so elegant and with character, it could perfectly fit a classical dial as well.

Enjoy it wel!

@trackingtime, the lugs are even attached to the caseback (not the mid part). Indeed the visual effect is stunning.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 03:55 AM   #18
Serge_88
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5167a
Beautiful piece, congrats! I love the dial and the mid case design detail and the fact it goes all the way around the case because of how they created the lugs!
Serge_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 04:29 AM   #19
jsw7
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, awesome watch. Get your AD to order you the 5935a deployment clasp (much better value than wg at 1/6 of the price). It massively saves the strap wearing quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Very cool story with this one. My wife and I were in Europe for a euro delivery of a car back in October. While there, we went to Patek in Geneva and saw a lot of watches, none available of course. As I was trying on some various pieces, my wife was walking around the entry way where there were windows of various models in the waiting area. She came over and said "you should look at this one if they can show it to you." It was the 5226G, which I had seen in photos from watches and wonders and walked right past when we had first arrived. I asked the gentleman if there was one I could handle, just to appease my wife, and he brought one out. I was in shock, I loved it in person and immediately wanted one to diversify my collection. I have 8 watches, all sport models from various manufacturers and I guess I have been feeling like they are all similar in some way. This was the perfect in between for me, not too dressy and a little sporty but easily can be dressed up.

jsw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 04:47 AM   #20
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Looks great on you.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 04:56 AM   #21
bullies
"TRF" Member

Great looking piece, big congrats
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 05:06 AM   #22
dauster
"TRF" Member

looks great congrats. very IG worthy shot with the coffee
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 05:32 AM   #23
Mattt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw7 View Post
Congratulations, awesome watch. Get your AD to order you the 5935a deployment clasp (much better value than wg at 1/6 of the price). It massively saves the strap wearing quickly!
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 05:53 AM   #24
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Huge congrats!
Have not seen one in person but the dial looks amazing

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 05:56 AM   #25
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw7 View Post
Thats a good idea. I had my AD punch a hole in it today and it fits much better! But the deployant would be sweet, good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatral14 View Post
Huge congrats!
Have not seen one in person but the dial looks amazing
Had I not seen it in person, I would have never wanted one. Photos do not do it justice.
Old 7 February 2023, 08:33 AM   #26
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
[QUOTE=V25V;12605407]Thats a good idea. I had my AD punch a hole in it today and it fits much better! But the deployant would be sweet, good idea.

Besides the buckle they will need to order you a correct strap: deployant (“D”) straps have different lengths vs. buckle (“B”) straps.
Old 7 February 2023, 09:36 AM   #27
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post

Besides the buckle they will need to order you a correct strap: deployant (“D”) straps have different lengths vs. buckle (“B”) straps.

Yeah I would need to talk it through with them to get everything in order. But would be very nice.

Old 7 February 2023, 10:48 AM   #28
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Just a stunning, unique reference, I have one that should be coming in this month - traded my 5146g to lower the price. I already ordered and received 2 shorter replacement straps (the black and the tan) directly from patek for my 6.6in wrists as the standard straps are always too long. Congrats! Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 11:30 AM   #29
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Congrats you wear it well my friend. I’d spring for the smaller strap. I can’t stand too long of a tail on a strap particularly with a nice watch like that
Old 7 February 2023, 01:54 PM   #30
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Congrats you wear it well my friend. I’d spring for the smaller strap. I can’t stand too long of a tail on a strap particularly with a nice watch like that

Thanks buddy!

My AD is working on that but now I’m leaning towards a deployant and not sure what strap options will exist for that. Assume not the factory colors? But maybe im wrong. Going to find out what the options are and go from there.