The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 May 2023, 01:10 AM   #31
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I am nearly in tears over here and so sorry this is happening to you and your family. My wife and I just went through this last year with her Dad who had rung the bell twice and there was not a third. It was absolutely heartbreaking and I know what you all are going through. Be strong for them and keep making jokes, my father in law did this and it was one of the things that kept me stronger as the end was nearing. You being strong and not being scared will make them stronger.

Prayers with you all.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 01:36 AM   #32
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Dave - My heart is aching reading about your plight. You Sir are one of the good ones, a warrior, a devoted husband and one of the finest people on this forum.

I pray for you and your family.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 01:44 AM   #33
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Very sorry to hear about this sad turn of events Dave. We joined this forum around the same time and I have always enjoyed your thoughtful posts over the years. Wishing you and your family strength during this most difficult time.
Old 4 May 2023, 01:45 AM   #34
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
This is terrible news. I responded briefly to your post a year ago. At that point I was a few days away from ringing my own bell for finishing 7 weeks of radiation for head and neck cancer. Started in my tonsil and spread to one lymph node, so stage 4. When I commented on your post I could barely swallow, mouth felt like someone was holding a lighter to it constantly, had to eat with a feeding tube. Pain medication helped a little and only briefly.

Your post help me get through those last few treatments and the hell that was recovery for the next 6 weeks. Thank you for that. I wish there was something I could do to help you the way you helped me. You'll be in my thoughts and hope you can reduce the pain as much as possible.

Your family will hurt because they love you. But they will also find strength from the love they have for you. Take the best care possible and hope we hear from you lots more when you have the energy.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 02:04 AM   #35
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Dave, so sorry to hear this. You have been a great member of the community. Wishing for a miraculous medical breakthrough that can help you and so many others.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 02:09 AM   #36
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I don't have the words. I echo what's been said by those more eloquent than I. I think you know how well liked and respected you are. While you're suffering your family is suffering. When you find peace your family will continue. That's affirmation that your life was well lived and you made a positive mark. It's truly heartbreaking news. I'm so glad I got to know you here. Peace to you.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 03:25 AM   #37
-dustin

Reading this makes me sick to my stomach.

It was right at 4yrs ago that my wife and I went through this same scenario with her father. Feels like yesterday.

I can tell you this...a lot of the memories I have from that period with my FIL are some of the best I have. Trips to the range, breakfasts he'd make, the one-on-one talks we'd have. It was hard, man, but he did what he could to keep everyone at ease and cheerful. That helped everyone immensely.
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 03:31 AM   #38
JTL31

Dave, I’m sorry to hear this! I lost my Dad to prostate cancer. Wishing you and your family the best as you navigate what the future holds. Prayers & positive energy sent your way!
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 03:34 AM   #39
JTL31

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Dave very sorry but keep your chin up, myself in poor health been having a battle with cancer over the past few years, I beat it once but now its come back stage 3. In a lot pain like you even morphine don't help a lot now, when I wake up each morning I say to myself I am still alive, the most precious thing we have is life ,so I try to stay positive.
Peter, I’m sorry to learn of your cancer news as well. A positive attitude and living a life with gratitude is the best anyone can do. Keep doing exactly what you’re doing! Prayers & positive energy sent to you as well.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 03:38 AM   #40
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
Dave - My heart is aching reading about your plight. You Sir are one of the good ones, a warrior, a devoted husband and one of the finest people on this forum.

I pray for you and your family.

I have been trying to come up with the words since I woke up this morning.

I couldn’t agree more with Eddie on this.

Dave, I wish you and your family my best through this time. I hope you can find peace through the pain and enjoy as much time as possible with those you love.

This may sound crazy but have you looked into any alternatives or additions to the treatment that otherwise wouldn’t be prescribed? I say this because I was talking with a coworker in the office about how many we know have stage 4 cancer right now. He told me about fenbendazole. Then he showed (a very skeptical me) a video. It was a man named Joe Tippens. I still didn’t believe it and frankly don’t know if I do now or not. I do know if I was in the position you’re in I’d probably entertain almost anything. I’m not advocating for this treatment, just trying to state what I’ve read and would most likely like to know about and possibly try if all else was failing.

Here are some web pages I dug up regarding effectiveness of Fenbendazole against various cancers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9437363/

https://healnavigator.com/fenbendazo...-testimonials/

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 03:54 AM   #41
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
So sorry to hear. Between my wife and I we have been in this fairly directly for 4 years until last year. Wish you and your family all the best of the world and comfort in this time.
Old 4 May 2023, 04:02 AM   #42
BobtheViking
"TRF" Member

I'm not a regular visitor or poster but as a fellow Yorkshireman I can't scroll past this one without commenting.

I wish you all the best with your treatment, and send love to you and your family.

And as a Sunderland fan you've got one of the best in big Sam and I hope he delivers some smiles before the end of the season.
BobtheViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 04:09 AM   #43
SearChart
TechXpert

Dave, I don't know what to say... I'm so very sorry to hear about this.
I hope there's still a chance you beat it.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 04:32 AM   #44
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Hello Dave...mate, I hope you'll allow me the privilege of calling you a mate.
We've 'spoken' over the years about our gardens and football, the things we love.
My wife and I are so desperately sad to hear your latest news.

All the sadness shown here, it tells me that a man that is so cared for..by complete strangers must be a, very special man, and will surely be loved beyond word by those that really know him.
We're all heading the same way mate, perhaps, as in the words of your beloved Leeds United FC...."Marching on together"!
I hope to meet you on the other side one day, my friend, perhaps we could haunt a fabulous garden or two together, maybe share a pie and a pint before 'the match'?

Along with everyone here, thinking of you, hoping and praying very hard for you.

All our love.
Steve and Susan.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 04:43 AM   #45
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you all the possible comfort as you battle this horrible disease.

Really puts things in perspective. Stay strong.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 05:52 AM   #46
colpol
"TRF" Member

Really sorry to read this post & what your going through

Sure it puts a lot of our so called problems/ issues into perspective hearing what your going through

I wish you the best & hope they get the meds right to keep you comfortable going forward
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 07:21 AM   #47
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
Thanks for sharing Dave. I do get checked whenever I can due to family history. 🩺

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. For your pain and theirs and for a miracle.

Stay strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 07:26 AM   #48
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Dave, I'm so sorry to hear about this turn of events, it truly breaks my heart and brings tears to my eyes. Can't even think of the right words to say. I'm glad you've come to terms with it as best as one can.

We recently lost my father-in-law, who lived with us for over a year, and we miss him every day. Every moment you can muster the strength to spend with your family, take that opportunity, it's so important for everyone you love, and will help you as well. Take pictures, make little videos on your phones, all that stuff. And when you can't because it's just too much, that's okay, take a break and do whatever you can to minimize your pain. We look back at all the great times and tough times we had together and will continue to cherish those memories.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 09:27 AM   #49
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Dave - so sorry as well. Not sure what words to even say right now. I truly hope and pray that your pain is in check as you go through this part of your journey. My best to you, your wife and your family.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 10:05 AM   #50
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Well Dave it's impossible to find the right words in this situation. Thank you for giving us a chance to share our thoughts and say goodbye. I've always enjoyed your point of view even when not agreeing with it. Your opinions are always well thought out and rooted in logic. Critical thinking has always been your cornerstone. You will be missed. Thank You.

The bravery you've lived your life with is now on full display as you face your own mortality. I hope when my times comes I will face it with the same grace and dignity you're showing. I know your tired and I get that but I hope you don't mind if I leave you with this famous poem as my goodbye to you.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieve it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 10:35 AM   #51
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I do not know you except via your posts and I am sorry fate has decided this for you and your family. I have always appreciated your insight and thankful for your service and pray to God that you make the best of "what is". As a physician and working extensively with end of life care, Please consider Hospice care or whatever is called in your part of the world. Not only does it help you mange your pain and come to terms with emotional/psychological issues but they help your family deal with it better.
Godspeed my friend, my prayers are with you and your family!
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 10:50 AM   #52
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Don’t know what I can say that hasn’t already been said but I feel for you pal.

Thank you for sharing you plight. It definitely serves as a reminder how precious life, health and time is. There is nothing more valuable on Gods green earth than these 3. If I could send you some of each I would.
Old 4 May 2023, 12:04 PM   #53
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I can’t think of any words Dave, except that I hope you find a pain free peace.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 12:05 PM   #54
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Dave, You’re standing taller than many ever could facing such an incredibly tough journey. But your thoughts being with your family, especially your beloved wife paints an inspiring picture of simply how good a man you are to so many who look to you, and who now have your back as you face this. You’re certainly not alone now, and your inspiring character shows that you never will be.

Stay strong. God Bless.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 12:16 PM   #55
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Dave, I have no words, anything I write seems trivial and cliché. Just know that I am praying for you and your family. God Bless You and your family.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 02:31 PM   #56
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Dave, I am speechless. You are such a true gentleman and one that I would say as a salt of the earth human. I am so humbled by your humility and peacefulness in this battle. I pray for you and your family. The biggest gift you can leave your family is to do tape recordings of your voice for them. It will comfort them for an eternity. God bless you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 06:19 PM   #57
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
What lovely responses, I am really touched and a bit overwhelmed, please forgive me for not replying to each and everyone individually. I am really tired after a full day yesterday of full Radiotherapy. I was measured up on the scanner at 2 pm and then the planning was done and I was given the treatment at 5 pm. I was given anti sickness tablets but was sick (not a lot) during the night.

People are really kind, you know, all the responses here and generally, everyone I saw or interacted with at the hospital were so nice, when I went to the waiting room, it was full, many people offered their seat because they could see that I was having trouble standing or walking, many people brought me water or drinks. Carole had dropped me off close to the door and went to park the car, during this time, people were helping me all the way. I was overwhelmed with kindness. I was offered a wheelchair many times but, I just wanted to see if I could walk for a little while.

Please forgive me for not thanking each response here individually, I am really touched by your kindness. I will get round to thanking people individually. Thank you so much.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 07:24 PM   #58
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Dave, I’m sorry to hear this. I hope your pain is manageable during this part of your journey. You and your family will be in my prayers. You’ve always been a gentleman.
Old 4 May 2023, 10:12 PM   #59
walds11
"TRF" Member

Dave, I am so sorry to hear this. Hang in there my friend.
Old 5 May 2023, 06:29 AM   #60
Runner1975
"TRF" Member

Dave,
I don't post frequently, but most days I do read through threads/comments​. I "get" your humor and enjoy it. I truly admire your strength when much can't be easy. Please know I am thinking about you and sincerely wish you good moments everyday. Your observations/remarks/posts show us all you're certainly one of the "good guys."
Runner1975 is offline   Reply With Quote