The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 May 2023, 11:31 AM   #1
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Wife’s heart valve… advice?

So, my wife in mid-50’s will have open heart surgery next week to replace a leaky bicuspid aortic valve with a mechanical.

Whew.

I retired last month when I learned, to be ready to help. Any advice or prior experience to let me know what we are in for?

Surgeon seems to shrug it off as routine.
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 12:49 PM   #2
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
98% survival rate with normal life expectancy. Try not to worry. As an aside, my 6 day old grandson had open heart surgery, for several very severe congenital heart defects. He needed a second surgery at 4 mos. old. He is now 9 mos. old. and doing fine. He is off all cardiac meds. The only hurdle left is a feeding problem. Because he was intubated and sedated so much, he never learned to take a bottle. He has A G tube. Apparently, this is common in heart babies. He will go right to drinking from a cup, but will need the tube for proper hydration, for awhile. He is a miracle.
Your wife will come through this, and so will you. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Nurse Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 12:59 PM   #3
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
98% survival rate with normal life expectancy. Try not to worry. As an aside, my 6 day old grandson had open heart surgery, for several very severe congenital heart defects. He needed a second surgery at 4 mos. old. He is now 9 mos. old. and doing fine. He is off all cardiac meds. The only hurdle left is a feeding problem. Because he was intubated and sedated so much, he never learned to take a bottle. He has A G tube. Apparently, this is common in heart babies. He will go right to drinking from a cup, but will need the tube for proper hydration, for awhile. He is a miracle.
Your wife will come through this, and so will you. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Nurse Kat

Thanks Kat. You really put it in perspective. We are blessed.

I’m reminded of Adam Smith. We are very self-centered.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/726...-of-china-with
Old 24 May 2023, 01:14 PM   #4
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
It certainly isn’t routine to you, but to the surgeon it is. Which is a good thing. There are probably tens of thousands of these done a year, it’s amazing how far heart care and the ability to repair a heart problem has come. Best of luck, I bet she comes out of this great and in a month or two it’ll seem like it was no big deal.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 01:52 PM   #5
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Best of luck. I hope she's A-OK in no time.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 02:48 PM   #6
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
As has already been said, this type of surgery is routine for cardiac surgeons, even though it is very much out of the ordinary for us "regular folk." The amazing thing is how much better your wife will feel afterwards. Kind of "you don't know how crappy you feel until you feel better." At least, that's how it was for me when I got, on an emergency basis, a stent in my right cardiac artery which was 99% blocked, and how my brother-in-law felt after his heart attack and 4-way bypass surgery.

When your wife gets out of surgery, she will have a lot of tubes, and likely will look a bit swollen. This is normal and nothing to be alarmed about. (Telling you this so you won't be shocked.)

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery. Take good care of her!
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 05:20 PM   #7
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

I had my mitral valve surgically repaired 3 years ago (2020). Almost the same operation, but different valve. Also, in my case, the valve was repaired and not replaced.

I’m doing great. I no longer have an arrhythmia or irregular heart beats. My cardiologist said I’m totally healed and my heart is perfectly normal. He also said I really don’t need to see a cardiologist on a yearly basis anymore.

In terms of the actual operation, the anticipation of the surgery was worse than the surgery itself in some ways.

I was told in July that I need to have the operation before the end of the year. Usually, when you have heart surgery, it’s urgent and you need it immediately. In my case, it was something that had to be done, but not right away. There was a lot of sitting around, waiting, thinking about it, and lots of anxiety. I had the operation in October. If I could do it over again, I’d just get it over with and have it ASAP.

I had the operation on a Monday and walked out of the hospital on Friday morning. Seven weeks later I was working again. It could have been 6 if I pushed it.

8 weeks after the operation, I was riding my bike a couple miles a day, which is what I was doing pre-operation. In January, I was back in the gym, but was limited in terms of what types of weight lifting I could do. I don’t remember how long it took before I had no restrictions. Maybe by March???? Not sure….

Wishing her the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 06:25 PM   #8
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The very best of luck, I hope everything goes well and you are peaceful.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 08:33 PM   #9
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Interesting to see this topic. My mother who is 76yr old has been dealing with arrhythmia, palpitations and shortness of breath for a few years. They always said that she would eventually need a procedure/surgery called TAVR. Basically replacing her aorta valve with a pig/calf valve. She is in the waiting-around period. They said it could be about six months' wait. Unfortunately, she had booked a trip to Italy for July this summer to visit her sister and family and she is in limbo not knowing if she could still go or not. I am hoping she gets this done soon, I understand she will feel a world of difference better.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 08:45 PM   #10
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I have had a “moderately leaky” valve for about 10 tears now (67 currently) and have a heart echo every 6 months

Have asked many times about valve surgery with my Cardiologist and he assures me the procedure is common nowadays, but understandably nerve racking when it’s you or someone you know

Best wishes Victor.. post a good follow up too
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 10:23 PM   #11
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
This isn’t like it was just a few decades ago. My mom had open heart surgery in ‘92 and back then it was a massive ordeal. She spent an entire week after in an induced coma. Not like today where you’re up and walking 30min after. Just make sure, above all, that she takes care of it once it’s done. Stay fit, don’t drink heavily, don’t smoke, and on and on. And hopefully, her family history is on her side. Good luck to her and your family sir!

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 11:23 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
All the very best to you and your family and especially your mother Victor. I hope she makes a quick recovery.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 11:25 PM   #13
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
This isn’t like it was just a few decades ago. My mom had open heart surgery in ‘92 and back then it was a massive ordeal. She spent an entire week after in an induced coma. Not like today where you’re up and walking 30min after. Just make sure, above all, that she takes care of it once it’s done. Stay fit, don’t drink heavily, don’t smoke, and on and on. And hopefully, her family history is on her side. Good luck to her and your family sir!

Sent using Tapatalk

I wasn’t up and walking 30 mins after. If it’s a less invasive procedure, maybe. But if they split you open, and you’re on bypass (heart and lung machine), then you’re not walking around 30 mins after that procedure. I do agree that it’s much more routine nowadays, no doubt. I got up and started walking around 24 hours later.

Old 24 May 2023, 11:30 PM   #14
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Interesting to see this topic. My mother who is 76yr old has been dealing with arrhythmia, palpitations and shortness of breath for a few years. They always said that she would eventually need a procedure/surgery called TAVR. Basically replacing her aorta valve with a pig/calf valve. She is in the waiting-around period. They said it could be about six months' wait. Unfortunately, she had booked a trip to Italy for July this summer to visit her sister and family and she is in limbo not knowing if she could still go or not. I am hoping she gets this done soon, I understand she will feel a world of difference better.
TAVR is an amazing procedure. The mechanical valve is delivered to the placement site through a catheter system at the groin at the femoral artery. It's then expanded into place just above the heart, "pushing" the diseased valve out of the way.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2023, 11:54 PM   #15
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
TAVR is an amazing procedure. The mechanical valve is delivered to the placement site through a catheter system at the groin at the femoral artery. It's then expanded into place just above the heart, "pushing" the diseased valve out of the way.

Yeah, they won’t do that for everyone. They have criteria they use to determine if you’re eligible. Basically, they only do that if you’re at high risk in terms of surviving a traditional procedure. I asked about it. They told me I was too young and healthy. So I had the more invasive procedure.

Old 25 May 2023, 12:14 AM   #16
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Yeah, they won’t do that for everyone. They have criteria they use to determine if you’re eligible. Basically, they only do that if you’re at high risk in terms of surviving a traditional procedure. I asked about it. They told me I was too young and healthy. So I had the more invasive procedure.

Yes you are correct, not a first line treatment, but definitely a great option for those who are not safe candidates for a more definitive open valve replacement.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 02:36 AM   #17
colpol
"TRF" Member

My dad had it done in the late 80s & full recovery
He had one of the last ones that made a clicking sound. If he did any exercise or walked up a few flights of stairs - his valve would click away really noticeable but he said could never hear it

I’d imagine lot more straightforward / routine now
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2023, 03:06 AM   #18
KatGirl

This should put a smile on your face:

My grandson, Gabriel, is just learning to sit up. He spent so much time in the hospital, his physical development is delayed by about 3-4 months. He holds this position, for a few moments, then topples over. BTW, he’s always that happy. Imagine operating on a heart the size of a walnut. Medicine has come a long way. You can read Gabe’s story, online , on a website called The Caring Bridge, by searching Gabriel Herrin. As I said initially, he’s a miracle!

Kat

Old 26 May 2023, 05:40 AM   #19
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Not the same, but my dad had two porcine valve replacements and lived til 98.
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 12:04 PM   #20
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
All the best luck to your wife and you. Incredibly classy for you to retire so you can care for her. Well done, sir!
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2023, 11:13 PM   #21
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Wishing her a speedy recovery from the procedure that I'm sure will be successful.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 12:57 AM   #22
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Positive vibes your way! She will be bossing you around in no time! Good luck to her!
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 11:28 AM   #23
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
good luck. relax, trust the experts.

take a legal pad, write questions down as you think of them and ask as the medical teams make their rounds.

if something doesn't seem right, ask. if you don't get a valid answer raise the concern to the next level.

trust your gut.

I have worked as a pulmonary/critical care nurse practitioner for the last 7 years, we often work hand and hand with the cardiovascular services intimately. prior to that I worked as a bedside nurse in a inpatient cardiac transplant icu specializing in advanced heart failure therapies (mechanical support, transplants).

following open heart surgery it usually takes about 6-8 weeks to get back to 90%. then about 6-9 months to be back to 100% (mainly for sternum to heal).

follow the post operative recommendations regarding cardiovascular rehabilitation, and weight/activity restrictions. the biggest issue is often disruption of the sternum if you lift/pull to much.

she will do fine, the surgery can be a long day. the first 1-2 days can be long. but each day she will have lines or tubes removed gradually, and slowly back to normal.

early out of bed, and ambulating are crucial. have her utilize her heart pillow when coughing, helps brace the chest so the pain is not as bad.

good luck, it's a large surgery but routinely done. hope for a speedy recovery.

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2023, 01:05 PM   #24
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all of you! Counting down to Tuesday 05:30...
Old 28 May 2023, 04:27 AM   #25
KatGirl

Our family, and Gabriel, are rooting for you both….

Kat

Old 4 June 2023, 07:39 AM   #26
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Thank you all. She is napping on the couch, 100% successful, minimal temporary restrictions.

99% routine and easy.

Near midnight of first night, bad reaction to something, no respiration, on call doc bagging her, 35% blood ox, 180 pulse, back on vent... that PARTICULAR six hours was bad. Next morning "Yeah, she had a bad reaction to anti-nauseal"...

Took 25 years off my life, but she's good!!! THANKS FOLKS!!! Modern medicine is amazing, and scary.

I expect Gabriel to be an ongoing inspiration. Brave fella.
Old 4 June 2023, 09:15 AM   #27
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorGMT View Post
Thank you all. She is napping on the couch, 100% successful, minimal temporary restrictions.

99% routine and easy.

Near midnight of first night, bad reaction to something, no respiration, on call doc bagging her, 35% blood ox, 180 pulse, back on vent... that PARTICULAR six hours was bad. Next morning "Yeah, she had a bad reaction to anti-nauseal"...

Took 25 years off my life, but she's good!!! THANKS FOLKS!!! Modern medicine is amazing, and scary.

I expect Gabriel to be an ongoing inspiration. Brave fella.

Glad to hear. Wishing you and her the best.

When I had my procedure, I was on the ventilator for 24 hours after the operation. I didn’t want to say this, but with my operation, there were complications. They repaired my valve, but when they were done, it wasn’t fixed, so they started the procedure all over again. So I was on bypass twice as long as I was supposed to be. They basically did the operation twice.

I recovered quickly after that. I was out of surgery on Monday night and went home Friday morning.

One word of advice is that she might have nightmares the first week or so. When I first went home, I was having nightmares at night. They were quite vivid and scary. Basically, in the dream, I was on a table and people we’re operating on me. Also, in the dream, I was having a seizure and gasping for air. This is normal. I spoke to others that went through open heart surgery and they all experienced this too.

Old 4 June 2023, 09:24 AM   #28
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

So happy for your wife and you. Hopefully she gets many years!!
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 11:54 AM   #29
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Oh, Victor, I'm so glad to see that everything is OK! I've been thinking about you and your wife every day and waiting to see an update!

My gosh, that first night had to have been awful for you. Thank goodness it wasn't anything serious!

Give your wife a gentle hug from all of us, and take good care of her, and of yourself!
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2023, 12:33 PM   #30
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenL View Post
Oh, Victor, I'm so glad to see that everything is OK! I've been thinking about you and your wife every day and waiting to see an update!

My gosh, that first night had to have been awful for you. Thank goodness it wasn't anything serious!

Give your wife a gentle hug from all of us, and take good care of her, and of yourself!
Thank you for caring.

Last night I dreamed TSA would not let me fly with her.

The mind is such a thing!