The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Reference Library

Old 8 September 2018, 01:51 AM   #1
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Reconnaissance Regiment of Her Majesty's Army Submariner

Hello,
I've stumbled across one of these, from 2010 and one of 167 made.
I'm looking to get into something that is a bit more rare. Specifically a DRSD or a Comex Sub. I was able to get some of the history through Sotheby's website as they've had a few come through. They were apparently issued to a special regiment and are quite rare.
this one is definitely not of the vintage set, but to get something that's this rare could pay off in the future.
LMK your thoughts.
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 01:35 AM   #2
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Its a standard Sub with an engraved caseback of the SRR badge, its really nothing special!

They aren't a military issued watch like the MilSub was.

Quite why they fetch the money they do is quite baffling, but then again, people are paying double MSRP from grey's for the new SS BLRO GMT, so what do I know

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 01:52 AM   #3
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Got it.
Then how do they get them if they're not a military issued watch?

The guy that is selling it bought it in June directly from Sotheby's for $17,500 with commission. He's now asking $35K! That's down the original asking price of $42K.
I've seen two other auctions in the past and one went for $24K and the other for $46KCHF, but that was for a different year with fewer watches produced (1 of 67 I think).

Here's the excerpt directly from Sotheby's when it was up for auction. It states that it was ordered by the military and that they presented it the recipient who signed it along with the RSM.
Accompanied by a certificate mentioning the special Reconnaissance Regiment and stating that it is a limited edition of 167 pieces, instruction booklets, guarantee card, hangtags, a presentation box and the outer packaging.
The Special Reconnaissance Regiment (SRR) is a Special Forces Regiment of the British Armed Forces. The SRR was established in 2005 to meet a demand for a special reconnaissance capability and conducts a wide range of classified activities related to covert surveillance and reconnaissance. It is believed to contain only between 100 - 300 personnel.

This watch is one of 167, which were part of a special order supplied directly to the Regiment by Rolex. The certificate, issued by the Special Reconnaissance Regiment, states the serial number of the watch and its limited edition number "BA101" that is also engraved on the back of the watch. The document is further signed by both the recipient and his Regimental sergeant major (RSM).
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 10:33 AM   #4
Nick24601
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
"Then how do they get them if they're not a military issued watch?"

Regiments will frequently order things in bulk with the colors on them for everyone. T-shirts, coffee mugs, etc. Its a situation like that, it's not like the army bought the watches for the men. Everyone chipped in out of pocket.
Nick24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 05:59 PM   #5
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick24601 View Post
"Then how do they get them if they're not a military issued watch?"

Regiments will frequently order things in bulk with the colors on them for everyone. T-shirts, coffee mugs, etc. Its a situation like that, it's not like the army bought the watches for the men. Everyone chipped in out of pocket.
I think that is pretty much the case. I am aware of a unit who did this for a number of Submariners a few years back, shortly before the Submariner changed to the maxi- case and clearly before the current SS impasse/saga. The watch was engraved on the back by Rolex and the bulk order was placed and commissioned via a local AD who also coordinated the finance element. Members of the unit led on this rather than the unit itself. The watches were paid for by individuals and the unit had no official input in that regard. I recall hearing that around 50 were produced though resale etc does not appear to have commanded significant premiums.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote