The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 December 2018, 06:50 AM   #1
Math_thomas
"TRF" Member

My grandfather omega any info please

My uncle (my dads brother) pop in today and gave me my grandfather watch an omega sea master quartz. Dose any one have and information that they can tell me about it. (real or not, model number and age) not intrested on price as it is prisless to me. My father never knew his father had it and I can’t find any information about it online. I have looked on the omega forum but it says YOU HAVE INSUFFICIENT PRIVILEGES TO POST HERE. Thanks for any information you guys have helped so much with my Rolex question in the pasted.
Math_thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Very distinctive 70's case!!! I would take it to a watchmaker and have the bracelet removed and untrasonically cleaned. Would also have the case cleaned and have a new battery installed, if the battery is old it may start leaking and destroy the movement. While it's opened, he can provide the model number. The best way to determine value is to see what a similar model sold for on ebay. While quartz watches don't command high prices, like you, and watch from a relative is priceless!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 12:12 PM   #3
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

I don't know the model number for the quartz but it seems to share the case dimensions of the 166.0213, I have the stainless version (sorry I don't have a pic at the moment). But yes it is 70's.
Its hard to see from the pics, how is the gold plating? It tends to get pretty worn on the bracelet, so you have 2 choices do as the previous poster mentioned and get it cleaned, then just embrace the age of it. Failing that you could look out for a similar model and use the bracelet as a donor. Or better still send if off for a service, I am not sure if Omega would even service it and it would almost certainly cost more than its worth but may be worth doing for sentimental reasons.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 05:19 AM   #4
Math_thomas
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys for all your informtion and advice. Yes the platting on the edge of the bracelet is worn away exposing a graying metal under neath. The case seams to be solid as there is no ware on the case. The “gold” colour metal is tarnished. I can not find any other watch like this with the same luggs a lot similar but not the same. making me think it might be a fake.
Math_thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:12 PM   #5
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Here is a pic of mine (not actually my pic, this was taken from the listing when I bought it). The Lugs look pretty similar to me.

I am far from an expert but I don't think you have any reason to think its fake. Omega made loads of variations of the same watch (they still do in fact). It could be that not many of the quartz versions have survived this long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (73.4 KB, 115 views)
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:33 PM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

It appears to be late ‘70’s maybe even ‘80-ish model. Omega was putting the name Seamaster on nearly everything to make sales.

It will need a full service in addition to the battery to give it new life. I know how you feel about getting it - last Summer I had my Dad’s 1960’s Seamaster overhauled to give to my brother.

You’ll never regret having your grandfather’s watch restored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote