The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 25 November 2018, 09:30 PM   #61
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
Seconds wheel and pinion are one and the same on 3035.

Normal stuff, check pivot, pinion, teeth, flatness, signs of wear that will affect operation. Jewel vs pivot, jewel wins.
Correct.
If those parts are worn they'll be replaced during service though, I don't think they would forget that no?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 11:09 PM   #62
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Correct.
If those parts are worn they'll be replaced during service though, I don't think they would forget that no?
I agree they shouldn't forget that but it sounds like someone might have missed a few things given the backstory provided.

Students at Lititz don't start working on full watch movements until the second year. That cycle starts in September. Given the timing of when this watch was serviced, I highly doubt a student would be provided with a customer watch so soon into the process -- if at all. As you mentioned, ETA movements are far more likely for training.

Unless we learn otherwise, I'd rule out a student doing the original work. That doesn't seem likely to me.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 09:16 PM   #63
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
UPDATE: So I received my 14060 back. Not exactly sure what Rolex but they did regulate it very well. Timing is good but amplitude is just OK. Guess it's better than before so there's that. Dunno, maybe the Cal. 3000 just isn't able to attain a high amplitude? Either way, this is the way it should have come back from RSC the first time.

DU: +2 / 281 / 0.0
DD: 0 / 286 / 0.1
CU: +4 / 249 / 0.0
CD: -1 / 246 / 0.2
CR: +1 / 244 / 0.0
CL: 0 / 249 / 0.2
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 09:27 PM   #64
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116710er View Post
UPDATE: So I received my 14060 back. Not exactly sure what Rolex but they did regulate it very well. Timing is good but amplitude is just OK. Guess it's better than before so there's that. Dunno, maybe the Cal. 3000 just isn't able to attain a high amplitude? Either way, this is the way it should have come back from RSC the first time.

DU: +2 / 281 / 0.0
DD: 0 / 286 / 0.1
CU: +4 / 249 / 0.0
CD: -1 / 246 / 0.2
CR: +1 / 244 / 0.0
CL: 0 / 249 / 0.2
Tell me, what is 'just OK' about 280+degrees horizontal?
Old 17 December 2018, 04:46 AM   #65
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

No explanation of what they did to correct the problem?
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 10:28 AM   #66
116710er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tell me, what is 'just OK' about 280+degrees horizontal?
That was more directed towards the mid 200's crown position numbers. Are 240's acceptable for those positions? From what I've gathered, freshly service movements should be in the 270+ area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
No explanation of what they did to correct the problem?
Nope, even the rep I talked to coudln't say what they did exactly. Paperwork only says "Check Movement". Lol.
Old 17 December 2018, 12:21 PM   #67
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:

Nope, even the rep I talked to coudln't say what they did exactly. Paperwork only says "Check Movement". Lol.
That's pretty lame. I'm just one independent guy and I give customers a thorough explanation of what is wrong with their watch. Probably more than they understand or even want to know lol

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 17 December 2018, 04:28 PM   #68
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
That was more directed towards the mid 200's crown position numbers. Are 240's acceptable for those positions? From what I've gathered, freshly service movements should be in the 270+ area.

270+ is for horizontal positions when fully wound.
That drop in amplitude for vertical positions is entirely normal.
Old 17 December 2018, 10:24 PM   #69
watchmaker
TechXpert

Without meaning to cause offence this highlights the problem with timegraphers now becoming mass market items. Amplitude performance varies from calibre to calibre and while 320° might be the norm on one 270° is high for another. Also not all manufacturers will publicly publish their tolerances so unless the results are clearly out (as the original readings were) you won’t know if the results are ‘good’ or ‘bad’.

You pose the question about cal. 30xx not being able to achieve ‘high’ amplitude. Your readings show good amplitude for full wind for 30xx, and this reinforces the relative nature of terms high and low in relation to amplitude.

Bas is right, these numbers look healthy.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:35 AM   #70
116710er
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, I would like to EVERYONE involved in this thread for all the help! You guys really helped me out and gave me some solid information that got this problem resolved. I truly appreciate the knowledge and the time you guys took to help out!

Quote:
270+ is for horizontal positions when fully wound.
That drop in amplitude for vertical positions is entirely normal.
Thanks for the info Bas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Without meaning to cause offence this highlights the problem with timegraphers now becoming mass market items. Amplitude performance varies from calibre to calibre and while 320° might be the norm on one 270° is high for another. Also not all manufacturers will publicly publish their tolerances so unless the results are clearly out (as the original readings were) you won’t know if the results are ‘good’ or ‘bad’.

You pose the question about cal. 30xx not being able to achieve ‘high’ amplitude. Your readings show good amplitude for full wind for 30xx, and this reinforces the relative nature of terms high and low in relation to amplitude.

Bas is right, these numbers look healthy.
Sure, that is definitely a downside to widely available diagnostic tools but as people start asking more questions, finding information on what your caliber should be performing at will be more readily available on the internet. So eventually, that problem will more or less disappear. This is why I came to you guys first to confirm that my finding were valid.

On the flip side, had I not had a timegrapher, I would have been stuck with a poorly executed service from RSC. The timegrapher also allowed me to check my other watches that seemed to be running ok but the timegrapher showed me that I needed to have them serviced.

If anything, with the 14060, the Timegrapher has given me more confidence in using my local independent as their evaluation seemed more detailed and through than RSC's and I have a feeling that the independent would have done a good job the first time.
Old 19 December 2018, 08:24 AM   #71
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

If every watchmaker at all RSC locations were more like Bas the world would be a better place! His passion shines through in his posts.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 09:29 AM   #72
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:

If anything, with the 14060, the Timegrapher has given me more confidence in using my local independent as their evaluation seemed more detailed and through than RSC's and I have a feeling that the independent would have done a good job the first time.
Good to hear. Because MOST will tell you don't even let anyone touch it, let alone have it serviced by an independent. Same goes for jewelry/diamonds/etc. But, that's about the norm these days. If they were all right, my father and I would not be in business. Yet this business has supported him since I was born, and now supports my family too.
Old 23 December 2019, 01:26 PM   #73
lastshotkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
Its also about constancy of product as well. How are these knock off units calibrated and do they all read the same? Witschi is a trusted proven brand used by all luxury brands. Rolex, AP, Patel etc. We use them because our customers deserve it and expect a high quality of work. These devices gives us a reliable metrics that help us to achieve the results. You cant manage what you cant measure and precision measuring tools are required.

Would anyone leave their Porsche, Ferrari, even an Audi with a mechanic working with budget tools from Harbor Freight? Thats why you wont find a timegrapher in any real watch shop. Seriously 0.00%. Its not because we’re idiots opting to spend $3k ($7k for micromat) vs $300. Its because we pay for constancy Witschi has engineered through the years.

Timegraphers are great. Carefully when using a non professional grade devices to measure the quality of work of proven shops especially in the context of this tread. RSC

We’re merely suggesting getting it tested with a Swiss device.

All work done in the good ol’ U.S. of A.

Can’t argue with this very good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lastshotkid is offline   Reply With Quote