The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2018, 10:57 PM   #1
R G
Banned

Speedmaster Question

Hello forum,

I've never really had a huge interest in Omega, despite having a vintage Geneve in my collection which is beautiful.

Anyway, yesterday after work I went to 155 Regent St and whilst there, my colleague (who loves Omega's) and I wondered in to the Omega section.

I have never really noticed this watch before as I've never really given much thought to modern Omega's but when I asked to see the moonwatch version I was really taken back with it's looks and quality.

I would have always thought that a plastic-type glass on a modern watch would be a bit naf, but when the manager explained the story behind it and why it has the plexiglass, it sort of made sense to me and gave it a vintage-type feel.

I went home in a really upbeat mood as I thought I had found my next watch purchase, although when I visited the Omega website today I became really deflated with the amount of versions of this watch that they make - just made me feel like it was a little bit gimicky.

I appreciate it's all subjective and down to personal taste, however I have to ask this question - purely because when I'm given choice with watches, I go in to a meltdown and always wonder if I have made the right choice.

So, despite the many different versions of this piece, it seems that the most popular versions are either the smaller 38 or the larger 42.

Within those, there are variations for auto and hand wound, and also the plastic glass, or sapphire.

I'm thinking that the most classical version would be the 42, with plexiglass, hand wind.

Would most agree?
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:15 PM   #2
karmatp
"TRF" Member

100%, go with the manual wind 42mm speedy pro. I love mine, it’s a classic.
Old 10 October 2018, 11:20 PM   #3
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Hello forum,

I've never really had a huge interest in Omega, despite having a vintage Geneve in my collection which is beautiful.

Anyway, yesterday after work I went to 155 Regent St and whilst there, my colleague (who loves Omega's) and I wondered in to the Omega section.

I have never really noticed this watch before as I've never really given much thought to modern Omega's but when I asked to see the moonwatch version I was really taken back with it's looks and quality.

I would have always thought that a plastic-type glass on a modern watch would be a bit naf, but when the manager explained the story behind it and why it has the plexiglass, it sort of made sense to me and gave it a vintage-type feel.

I went home in a really upbeat mood as I thought I had found my next watch purchase, although when I visited the Omega website today I became really deflated with the amount of versions of this watch that they make - just made me feel like it was a little bit gimicky.

I appreciate it's all subjective and down to personal taste, however I have to ask this question - purely because when I'm given choice with watches, I go in to a meltdown and always wonder if I have made the right choice.

So, despite the many different versions of this piece, it seems that the most popular versions are either the smaller 38 or the larger 42.

Within those, there are variations for auto and hand wound, and also the plastic glass, or sapphire.

I'm thinking that the most classical version would be the 42, with plexiglass, hand wind.

Would most agree?
Yes you’re bang on. Ignore any of reduced versions (38s). There are plenty of new Speedmasters (based on old variants etc.) like the Speedmaster 57 that are auto.

You want the moon watch so stick to the Speedmaster Professional 42 Hesalite. It will be hand wound. A true classic and barely changed since it was introduced (less so than four, five and six digit subs).
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 01:24 AM   #4
Father and Son
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi,BLNR,Hulk,DJ
Exactly what the others said... Get the larger (42). Get the Hesalite... Get some fun straps and Natos... Ignore all the special editions and variations.... This is the one... Related--- go see First Man (the film)... This watch will be featured as it was the one on the astronauts wrists... Here's mine- bought this year on a nato from Amsterdam....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedy.JPG (37.4 KB, 726 views)
Father and Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 01:39 AM   #5
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Hello forum,

Would most agree?

Listen, I have a Daytona and right now my classic speedy pro with hesilite is getting far more wrist time. The strap versatility and warm look of the plexi, it’s really classic. Do yourself a favor and get one immediately.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 01:57 AM   #6
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I have the Omega FOIS, SS, brown strap, a bit under 40mm, IMHO, perfect size, weight, classic look. I prefer it over the pro model.
Old 11 October 2018, 03:20 AM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I was also late to the party. Been buying “nice” watches since 1984 but somehow the Moonwatch had stayed off my radar. Spotted one here on TRF earlier this year, within a month I had one. The classic Moonwatch handwind with Hesalite is the one for me, looks great on either bracelet or straps. I’ve had three Daytonas in the past, the Speedy Pro has more heritage and is certainly a better deal pricewise. Every WIS should own one.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 03:26 AM   #8
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It's the perfect watch, there I said it.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 04:04 AM   #9
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Agree. I was gifted a hesalite Speedmaster for the birth of my first child. It was fitting to me as it was the first watch on the moon. I knew I was only going to add one Omega watch to my collection, and always wanted it to be this piece.

I just put a Bulang & Sons leather strap on it, and it looks fantastic. The Speedy is a very versatile watch IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 05:22 AM   #10
R G
Banned

Thanks so much everyone, that’s really helpful.

I’m going to go with the classic as most have recommended.

Cheers
Old 11 October 2018, 11:15 AM   #11
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I have the Omega FOIS, SS, brown strap, a bit under 40mm, IMHO, perfect size, weight, classic look. I prefer it over the pro model.
+1. The FOIS also has no crown guards, which is a plus imho.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 01:26 PM   #12
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
It's the perfect watch, there I said it.
I got your back on this

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 01:09 PM   #13
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Thanks so much everyone, that’s really helpful.

I’m going to go with the classic as most have recommended.

Cheers
Did you pull the trigger yet? Picked one up this week and loving it. My only regret, not getting one sooner
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 03:28 PM   #14
R G
Banned

Hi,

Funnily enough I popped in to an Omega boutique with my wife yesterday.

Tried the Speedmaster on, as well as the reduced racing model (which really reminded me of the Daytona (size-wise).

The one to go for is the moon watch, and had a proper look at it again.

The assistant stated talking discount of 5% right from the start and said she could give more in other models other than the speedmaster as the speedmaster gets sold numerous times a week as it’s by far the most popular.

My colleague who I spoke about in my original post is also looking at getting one. I mentioned buying two of them and the store assistant said she’d need to make a call to someone.... haha who, I don’t know, but it indicates more price leverage.

I suspect if I shop around and go to a regular authorised dealer rather than an Omega boutique itself I could get more off.

I’m definitely interested in getting one but will enquire at different places in the lead-up to Christmas.
Old 14 October 2018, 09:57 PM   #15
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
... if I shop around and go to a regular authorised dealer rather than an Omega boutique itself I could get more off...
This probably is true. In the US, there are authorized dealers who sell at 20% off. A few percentage points of this watch's sale price don't add up to a very large sum, so there is an argument to be made for working with an Omega Boutique in case someone prefers to.

More photos for your viewing pleasure ...

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 12:26 AM   #16
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Speedmaster Question

On the contrary, I got the Moonwatch Pro Hesalite version and thought that was it. End of story.

Eventually I got tired and started looking for different Speedy versions. I ended getting the Speedy LEs — 1957 60th anniversary and the CK 2998 Pulsometer panda version — both of which I found the size to be better fitting on my wrist plus the dial variations. I sold the Moonwatch and never regretted the decision.

Don’t be turned off by the numerous Speedy LEs, which are being frowned upon by some folks. It’s natural to think that the LEs are gimmickry with the intent to milk the “brand/model equity” of the Speedy. To me, I think the Speedy LEs are the way to go. You may want to take another look at the said LEs. I guaranteed you will not be disappointed. Many LE variants, many choices.

Good luck!

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:08 AM   #17
evlkoala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
100%, go with the manual wind 42mm speedy pro. I love mine, it’s a classic.
agree
evlkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 10:47 PM   #18
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I have to tell you, people are hypocrites at times. The beloved AP royal oaks have themselves plenty of LE’s, at this point you never hear anyone dare whisper at AP. Reality is the speedy pro may be one of the most important and significant watches ever made. The LE’s tend to sell out any many sell way above MSRP. See the souyez model with the meteorite dial, snoopy, and speedy Tuesday versions for a reference.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 12:50 PM   #19
jw0n
"TRF" Member

I don't know if there are any still available where you are, but perhaps keep an eye for the 60th Anniversary LE. Although limited, it is not that uncommon (and I remember reading some remain unsold). Its dimensions are perfect; 39 mm case, 19 mm lugs, applied marker, etc.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 02:42 PM   #20
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Can't go wrong with the Speedy Pro with hesalite. But it's not always bad to have choices for others with different tastes.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 06:08 PM   #21
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Manual wind and Hesalite is the way to go.

As a dubious youtuber would say i been to the ****ing moon

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 06:54 AM   #22
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Quote:
I just added the exact version to my collection earlier this week and it is great...I really can't believe I waited this long to purchase one. Mine is currently sitting on a leather rally strap, but they really look great on just about any strap or even the stock bracelet.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 07:27 AM   #23
R G
Banned

Can I just ask, the movement in the Speedmaster Pro, it’s an ETA base, right?

The Co-Axial that is in some of the other models is also ETA?!

The woman in the store was going on about the Co-Axial being different to the Speedmaster Pro movement as it was in house...
Old 27 October 2018, 03:27 PM   #24
Bent_remy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster TinTin
The way to go is always Speedy Pro. 42mm, manual wind, hesalite glass and solid caseback.
Bent_remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 03:56 PM   #25
Maximus84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp. II 16570
Quote:
Can I just ask, the movement in the Speedmaster Pro, it’s an ETA base, right?

The Co-Axial that is in some of the other models is also ETA?!

The woman in the store was going on about the Co-Axial being different to the Speedmaster Pro movement as it was in house...
The movement in the Speedy Pro is Lemania based, not ETA. I don’t think the co-axial movements are either - the co-axial escapement is based on a George Daniels design I believe.
Maximus84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 05:41 PM   #26
R G
Banned

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes I thought that about the Co Axial!?! It was explained in the film; The Watchmakers Apprentice.
Old 28 October 2018, 11:30 AM   #27
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
I had the sandwich (hesalite in front and display back). Loved the look of the watch but I sold it after a couple years as it was hard to wind (some examples wind smoothly and some are very difficult to wind) and I didn't end up wearing it often enough to keep it.

If you can try the wind on yours before you buy so much the better. Good luck.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 11:54 PM   #28
jaymyms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I've had lots and lots of watches from Rolex, Omega, IWC, Tudor, etc - and the Moonwatch is the one keeper so far. That says a lot.
jaymyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 02:14 PM   #29
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Yes that’s the Speedmaster professional Hesalite Moonwatch to get.

Sadly though I had to let it go. I love the 60th anniversary and the CK2998 panda version because of its below 40mm size.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 05:36 PM   #30
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
My choice was the sapphire sandwich and I agree that the crown is a bit small and a pain to wind.
My son is now the owner and it is one of his favourites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 04856E25-EAF4-4E3A-8527-6151E2F4CEF6.jpeg (270.4 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpeg 6481DA51-1F2D-40AA-AA8F-64F96C3D7320.jpeg (140.4 KB, 221 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote