The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2018, 04:01 PM   #31
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I've only bought two watches from ADs and both were perfect. I'd expect an AD to give you the benefit of the doubt. Frankly I'd think that they would want to please a customer. It's sad they've chosen the low road on this. On the other hand, consider it the first war wound of many to come in its long life.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:24 PM   #32
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlecks View Post
Some credit cards also come with complimentary insurance on purchases for x many days, and this will cover damage and theft. Check the terms and conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is not a snowballs chance that an insurance company would regard that mark as damage and the OP would have to prove that it was damaged when he bought it??

Good luck with that.

I expect at the end of all this the OP wil quietly discuss the situation with Rolex and they will make a decision.

It would be interesting to know how some on this thread would treat this situation if they were the AD.

My bet would be a 180 degree turn around.

Perry has stated in his header that his new Rolex came with a dent.
If Perry can prove this then he will have no problem with receiving a replacement.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:24 PM   #33
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
I'm sorry, but who walks out with a $18k watch without inspecting it?
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 06:17 PM   #34
MinMay
Banned

what dent? I don't see anything...just normal wear and tear.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 07:13 PM   #35
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
It gives the watch "character". Relax, enjoy your new watch.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:43 PM   #36
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
what dent? I don't see anything...just normal wear and tear.
its brand new - there should be no wear and tear

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 08:47 PM   #37
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

There is not a snowballs chance that an insurance company would regard that mark as damage and the OP would have to prove that it was damaged when he bought it??

Good luck with that.

I expect at the end of all this the OP wil quietly discuss the situation with Rolex and they will make a decision.

It would be interesting to know how some on this thread would treat this situation if they were the AD.

My bet would be a 180 degree turn around.

Perry has stated in his header that his new Rolex came with a dent.
If Perry can prove this then he will have no problem with receiving a replacement.
If I took a brand new watch back to my AD with a small dent I hadn't seen on collection I guarantee you that they would fix the problem without question as to whether it was, or was not there on collection.

Its what I would do as an AD - its called customer service. The cost to the AD/Rolex to fix that with a refinish or replacement bezel is ultimately negligible.

The value of customer goodwill is significant

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:11 PM   #38
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry for the mark and it will be the first of many. I would ask if they could help in anyway to remedy the situation. Based on what they say you will either have to act or sit tight. I doubt a return is in the cards and a repair/replacement bezel will probably be cost prohibitive. I would just wear the watch and wait for more.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:31 PM   #39
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yeah, that's an unfortunate situation, for sure. It's basically OP's word against the store's, and no real evidence to support his claim.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't take a battle stance on this one. It's unfortunate, but stuff like this does happen. In the end, you'll have to decide how much it's worth to you have the bezel fixed or replaced. Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:33 PM   #40
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Yeah, that's an unfortunate situation, for sure. It's basically OP's word against the store's, and no real evidence to support his claim.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't take a battle stance on this one. It's unfortunate, but stuff like this does happen. In the end, you'll have to decide how much it's worth to you have the bezel fixed or replaced. Good luck,
The onus is on the buyer to fully inspect the watch before walking out the AD with it. Now it is basically a no win situation. And pretty sure that PM bezel costs a ton to replace.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:03 AM   #41
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
You bought at an AD to have a worry free experience and they let you down. No good
Old 15 December 2018, 02:05 AM   #42
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
I don’t think I could live that either.
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:08 AM   #43
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
I always inspect my watches FULLY before purchase!!! Really ? ? ?
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:04 AM   #44
Howlerbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR GMT II
Somewhat similar and frustrating experience for me when we tried to buy a Date for my wife. Dealer dropped it post-purchase while she was sizing it on my wife's wrist - I said I wanted a new one and, after catching a lot of grief from the store manager, they took it back and voided the sale. Needless to say I went elsewhere to get the watch after that experience.

I guess I only share that because (i) ADs should make the customer happy if something happens to the timepiece on their watch, pre or post-sale, but (ii) I also understand the AD's perspective that if the watch leaves the store, it is very difficult to tell how that damage actually happened outside of he said/she said. And, like many others have said, I had my "oh sh*t" moment when I dinged my watch for the first time but after a while you learn to love the character that builds up on the watch. If you actually use it, that will not be the last dent or scratch no matter how careful you are.
Howlerbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:29 AM   #45
mirror
Banned

One of the flaws of AD’s, I’m pretty sure it would be so noticeable..
Well you could always Return it instead of burdening your self with a piece you are not happy with

My thoughts ..
mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:32 AM   #46
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

I had a similar situation but spotted it as the stickers were being taken off. Luckily the AD was understanding and replaced it with a new watch
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:34 AM   #47
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

I think you all need to look at this from the seller's perspective.

You are a seller of luxury goods. You allow ample time for your buyers to inspect the product before accepting it. You do not accept returns of used watches. That is standard practice in your industry.

You sell an expensive watch to a guy, you show it to him in the store, you give him ample time to look it over. He is happy with it, pays you and leaves.

A few days later he reappears. "There's a dent in my brand new watch. I don't know where it came from. I don't want this watch anymore. Give me my money back, or give me a brand new watch and you take this dented one."

Basically, the customer is asking you to pay him full MSRP for what is now a used, damaged watch when there is no evidence whatsoever he did not put the dent there himself.

An AD is a business - not a charity. Despite the "customer is always right" sense of entitlement that pervades our culture, the customer is not, in fact, right if he failed to inspect a product before accepting it, and especially not if he caused the damage himself.

Even if there were a serious factory defect in the movement or some other component that clearly could not have been caused by the owner, the seller is not obligated to take the watch back. In that case the buyer's remedy is to use the warranty to have the watch brought back to factory specifications.

In this case, the buyer still has the remedy of sending the watch to RSC to see what can be done in terms of repairs. But external/cosmetic damage is not covered by the warranty so he will likely have to pay those repairs out of pocket.
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:45 AM   #48
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry8912 View Post
Hi all,

I have a dilemma that I would like some advice.

The back story, after a considerable bit of research here, and shopping around local Rolex boutique, I decided to purchase a TT sky dweller, the first Rolex I have ever owned. And luckly I found the only TT SkyD in town.

After I got it, I was so excited, and I took out all the plastic cover. Then after a close look, I found a small dent on the bezel, I try to ignored it, but failed. My eyes keep looking for it.

What should I do? They wont accept any return or exchange since I took out the plastic cover. Is this normal for fluted bezel? I can live with scratches, but dont like these dents at all. Should I go RSC to pay for the bezel fix? Is it that easy to get dents?
I know it will not ease your pain. But I feel your pain dude. As for advise, I would try (and you already did this) to talk to AD about this dent. If no prevail, I would forget about it. Like others said, in a couple of years you will have other scratches on your watch. And when time comes for the service the dent will be fixed then. I hope my post will make you feel better
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:55 AM   #49
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
So you found a mark after you left the store?

What is it that you want again?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:41 AM   #50
AConnolly
"TRF" Member

Watch: DATEJUST
Just enjoy the watch. Try to relax and realize that it’s amazing with or without the dent and you’ll love it for life!
AConnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 06:07 AM   #51
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You were at the store and inspected and accepted the watch. That dent could have happened anywhere. Its your word against theirs but dents are so common on watches and many times owners have no idea how they got one because they do not recall bumping the watch. But gold is so soft, it does not take much of anything to mar the finish.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:41 PM   #52
ludetuner
"TRF" Member

I would visit the store and speak to the manager/owner. The store has a responsibility to sell you a product that is free from damage/defects. For every watch that I have bought from various AD’s, they have all done a detailed inspection with me to ensure I was satisfied. Did they not inspect the watch with you?
ludetuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:57 PM   #53
AK DeepSea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
What?!? That seems completely unreasonable. I bought a DSSD D-blue this past Saturday and it didn't come with the bezel cover. When I called back to the AD to ask about getting the bezel protector just so I'd have a full set, he said Rolex doesn't allow them to provide that with the sale, so the watch is naked when you take it. They also peal the stickers and pull links to adjust the bracelet to fit. In all of those activities, they should be capable of doing them without mistakes, but they are human and mistakes happen. Should you suffer for messed up screws (see other thread on that) or dinged bezel or scratch on the deployment clasp, NO.

The challenge though becomes how to prove who put the ding in the bezel. If they removed all of those things (like they did for me) and you inspected the watch and left the store with it dinged, that seemingly would be on you. There is no way to prove you didn't get home, dent it and now want them to take it back.

What makes this even more difficult is that we are so excited when we finally get a piece as MSRP that we miss all those little details. I don't carry a loop to shop for a brand new watch because I expect it to be perfect, not dinged, dented or scratched.

So, you can ask them to help you to ensure you will come back. Their cost to get it fixed will be far less than yours. You can live with it. Or, you can pay to get it replaced or repaired. If they have told you no to the first option, you have to choose below the second and third.

Sorry this happened to you. I feel for you.

I have the plastic bezel protector and warranty card for my new Deep Blue....
AK DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:34 PM   #54
Relentless
"TRF" Member

You have to look over each piece you buy VERY close and make sure everything is good to your liking. Some of these watches sit at the AD for a long time before they are sold. I just looked at a watch this week that the dealer has had since 2015! Tons of people have handled that watch. Many people know nothing about Rolex or how to treat nice things. I see new watches in the case all the time with scratches, etc. LOOK BEFORE YOU BUY.

B
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:47 PM   #55
Jg422
"TRF" Member

first of more to come. definitely NOT worth spending any more money. I get that it sucks that you started with it like that, but it will make the next mark less painful.
Jg422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:08 PM   #56
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
100% sure your going to dummy mark that gold bezel sooner or later... it doesn't take much to dent gold especially at a sharp edge like that.

If you walked home with it you are stuck with it because there is no way for you to prove that it came that way...though you may feel strongly that it wasn't your doing.

Just enjoy the darn thing because if that puts you off what the hell will you do when you scratch the crap out of the clasp and the PCLs...
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:14 PM   #57
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry this is frustrating you. I understand completely. It is a fantastic watch and I bet you aren’t going to notice it after a few weeks of wear.
Old 16 December 2018, 07:21 PM   #58
Watchdaytona
"TRF" Member

I'd find it tough to enjoy that watch.
Watchdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:28 PM   #59
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Write a letter.Always better in writing

Include the following :

The AD(Owner,or if its a boutique,the manager)

If not solved,take it to the top :

Rolex Canada/North America
Rolex SA Geneve
CEO Jean-Frederic Dufour
Chairman Bertrand Gros

TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:49 PM   #60
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Very sorry to hear this. That is a serious purchase. Unless you did this without realising it, I doubt that I would want a new watch
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote