The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 16 December 2018, 09:57 AM   #1
smym18
"TRF" Member

Suddenly concerned with my 3 year old Sub

So I’ve had this 116610LN for almost 3 years now that I got as a gift. I’ve since gotten a few others, including the LV. I never once suspected this could be fake, but I’m suddenly concerned about the rehaut. It doesn’t seem to perfectly align with the second markers the way the LV does. Not only that, but the rehaut and dial font is slightly different than the LV but I do think that’s normal since they make slight changes to them with no mention.

Does this look suspicious at all? The last pic is the LV.

IMG_0114.jpgIMG_0115.jpgIMG_0113.jpgIMG_0112.jpgIMG_0116.jpg
Old 16 December 2018, 10:10 AM   #2
Comex5514_
Banned

Watch: Military
I can add my 2 cents by saying that warranty card looks good. It's glossy, has the right font and size. Would be interesting to see a front under the UV.
Old 16 December 2018, 10:12 AM   #3
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
The LV doesn't seem to align perfectly either according to the pics.
Is the weight the same ? Do they wind the same, does the second
hand sweep the same as the LV?
Old 16 December 2018, 10:26 AM   #4
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
I’d have to see other Sub alignment . My Milgauss letters align perfectly with each tic and the serial aligns perfectly between tics.
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
Old 16 December 2018, 10:27 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
likely just the pictures but the rehaut on the black sub (first pic) does not appear quite the same as the lv to me, aside from the misalignment it looks a bit bolder and heavier?

otherwise looks good.
Old 16 December 2018, 10:32 AM   #6
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Call Gundersons and see if they sold the watch 3 years ago.

Do you see the laser etched crown at 6 o'clock?
Old 16 December 2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Dishpro01
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16610
I suggest some clear pics of the front of watch showing the crown guards, the Date font and how the crown on the rehaut lines up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 16 December 2018, 11:12 AM   #8
Bigblu10
Banned

Please post clear pics showing more of the watch. Dial fonts of hulk vs. black Sub are known to be different, also the R O L E X engraving on the rehaut went through a change.
Old 16 December 2018, 11:28 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Gunderson's is very reputable. I know them well. They are a small AD in Iowa that has a couple other stores in Sioux Falls and Omaha.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 16 December 2018, 11:37 AM   #10
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Looks real to me but I'm no expert. I do own a sub, though.
Old 17 December 2018, 01:28 AM   #11
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Rehaut alignment on Subs and GMTs is all over the map. There are dozens of threads on this in the Rolex General Discussion forum. Also, as you said, there have been changes to the font of the rehaut text. So if that's the only issue, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 17 December 2018, 02:29 AM   #12
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
Rehaut alignment on Subs and GMTs is all over the map. There are dozens of threads on this in the Rolex General Discussion forum. Also, as you said, there have been changes to the font of the rehaut text. So if that's the only issue, you have nothing to worry about.
This lead me to do more research on this, which I should have done in the first place. It does look like the rehaut crown at 12:00 is slightly off, which like you said is not that uncommon. I feel better now and hopefully I can just ignore it like I have the previous three years.
Old 17 December 2018, 03:31 AM   #13
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Pictures are useless to confirm or deny.
Need photo of movement or engraving between lug at 12 o clock
Old 17 December 2018, 09:08 AM   #14
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I would say the pics are useless because they are not straight on.
Old 17 December 2018, 09:09 AM   #15
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Old 18 December 2018, 05:12 AM   #16
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Well I was trying to get an angle that made it most noticeable. Also using an iPhone.
Old 18 December 2018, 05:15 AM   #17
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
Well I was trying to get an angle that made it most noticeable. Also using an iPhone.
What did the AD say?
Old 18 December 2018, 05:16 AM   #18
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi nothing wrong with iPhone just clean lense and take close ups straight on
Regards
Old 18 December 2018, 05:55 AM   #19
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
What did the AD say?
I didn't take it anywhere or call Gunderson's. I think this was just me overreacting and not realizing the rehaut or dial being slightly off is not that uncommon. I've worked with and bought and sold Rolex for years now at a jewelry store and have always hit on real vs fake. I think this was more of a weird brain fart by me.

However, if I call Gunderson's, they would be open to giving me info on this piece?
Old 18 December 2018, 05:58 AM   #20
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't take it anywhere or call Gunderson's. I think this was just me overreacting and not realizing the rehaut or dial being slightly off is not that uncommon. I've worked with and bought and sold Rolex for years now at a jewelry store and have always hit on real vs fake. I think this was more of a weird brain fart by me.

However, if I call Gunderson's, they would be open to giving me info on this piece?
The rehaut should NOT be out. Neither should any other part of the watch
Get photos of the movement or writing between lugs and then a proper decision can be made and not speculation
A
Old 18 December 2018, 06:11 AM   #21
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

So I’m guessing you didn’t buy the 3 y. o. Sub from an AD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 18 December 2018, 07:11 AM   #22
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
So I’m guessing you didn’t buy the 3 y. o. Sub from an AD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
He said it was a gift.

I don't see why the AD would refuse to confirm the watch was sold by them.
Old 18 December 2018, 12:37 PM   #23
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Gunderson's is very reputable. I know them well. They are a small AD in Iowa that has a couple other stores in Sioux Falls and Omaha.
Sioux City

Old 18 December 2018, 01:16 PM   #24
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
Take a straight on picture like this. This sub is from DsvidSW site for sale so it’s confirmed authentic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7A286FCF-2809-4725-A8D4-8BDA24A6EAAA.jpeg (170.9 KB, 767 views)
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
Old 20 December 2018, 12:10 PM   #25
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Is it me or does the coronet on the rehaut look off on the DavidSW photo but the "R" and 9 o'clock is spot on? I know the rehauts don't always line up but I thought it if it was off, it'd be off all the way around. Maybe just a lens distortion.
Old 21 December 2018, 05:04 AM   #26
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116710er View Post
Is it me or does the coronet on the rehaut look off on the DavidSW photo but the "R" and 9 o'clock is spot on? I know the rehauts don't always line up but I thought it if it was off, it'd be off all the way around. Maybe just a lens distortion.
It is off at 12 by quite a bit but I don’t agree the rest are lined up right either. To me the whole chapter ring looks clocked right, or more the dial left (considering the chapter is part of the case)

I guess a fix for this is to adjust the dial feel so the dial clocks round slightly. I’d imagine that’s where the discrepancy lies in this type of thing as there must be more variables from the dial to movement fit than the case etching.

Biggest mistake Rolex made was trying to make it line up in the first place. They’d have been better off spacing them out more and just letting it fall randomly.
Old 21 December 2018, 05:23 AM   #27
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
It is off at 12 by quite a bit but I don’t agree the rest are lined up right either. To me the whole chapter ring looks clocked right, or more the dial left (considering the chapter is part of the case)

I guess a fix for this is to adjust the dial feel so the dial clocks round slightly. I’d imagine that’s where the discrepancy lies in this type of thing as there must be more variables from the dial to movement fit than the case etching.

Biggest mistake Rolex made was trying to make it line up in the first place. They’d have been better off spacing them out more and just letting it fall randomly.
Dial Feet. And yes, there is a bit of play left or right when dial is attached to movement plate before tightened down. Some end up perfect, some don't. This has nothing to do with authenticity.
Old 21 December 2018, 06:26 AM   #28
rollin62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Detroit Watch Co
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post

I don't think they made a mistake by trying to make it line up, I think they made a mistake on the ones that DON'T line up. $6000 & up for a watch, everything should be 110% perfectly engineered and dialed in. It should be another easy red flag to show a fake, one more precision step that they would have to do to try and copy a real Rolex. (They should also make it so the crown is perfectly "upright" when properly tightened on every watch. )
And to the original poster, that's a bummer you are questioning your watch after 3 years, but on a side note, if its still keeping time after 3 years, its probably genuine. I'm guessing even the good looking fakes don't have a precision movement that will hold up for a couple years without failing.
Old 23 December 2018, 07:22 AM   #29
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Whatever misalignment there may be, it seem to me that it is within normal limits.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 23 December 2018, 10:27 AM   #30
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

There should be NO misalignment - nor if it exists be corrected by moving anything. The "REHAUT" is a fixed part of the case, and you can not move the movement (dial)

How these rare pieces slip by ROLEX, I got NO idea - maybe fake cases? Really I got no idea.
But it "should" be spot on
Adam
Closed Thread